PDA

View Full Version : Does Spell Combat work with Natural Weapons?

Mockingbird
2011-11-03, 06:36 PM
I want to take a level in Magus for spell combat. I have levels in Warshaper, so I use natural weapons instead of regular ones. The requirements for Spell Combat are one hand free, and a light or one-handed weapon in the other hand. I know Natural Weapons count as light, so would a Natural Weapon qualify for Spell Combat? I mean, I have a free hand and I'm using a light weapon, so does that count? I could Shocking Grasp, gore, bite and crab-claw (pincer, in PF that deals 1d6) for 6d6.. That'd be nice. I need a boost. :p

bloodtide
2011-11-03, 06:49 PM
The basic answer is yes, you can attack with a natural weapon like a claw or fist and discharge a spell.

But then come the details.

If you do attack with a natural weapon it's not a touch attack anymore, it's a normal attack.

You are limited to the amount of actions you can take in a round.

You get attack penlites for attacking with more then one weapon. Unless you have the right build/feats.

Mockingbird
2011-11-03, 07:05 PM
The basic answer is yes, you can attack with a natural weapon like a claw or fist and discharge a spell.

But then come the details.

If you do attack with a natural weapon it's not a touch attack anymore, it's a normal attack.

You are limited to the amount of actions you can take in a round.

You get attack penlites for attacking with more then one weapon. Unless you have the right build/feats.

I know about the attack penalties. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't a touch attack in the first place. I have built my character to reduce the penalties, and my DM has allowed me to make 3 natural attacks in a full attack action. I have the Multiattack feat and I'm taking Improved Multiattack to remove any penalty due to TWF'ing with natural attacks, but thanks. My total attack bonus is +9 not including penalties for Spell Combat, so I should be good. :p

Mockingbird
2011-11-04, 01:14 PM
Wait, can you only make attacks with one of them, or can you attack with all of them (a claw, a gore and a bite), because you still have a hand free? You aren't making attacks with your off-hand, you still have your free one.

stack
2011-11-04, 01:22 PM
I would think that you can't attack with the limb you are using to cast. Other than that, you would make a touch attack to deliver the spell (-2 penalty) and make all your natural attacks (minus the one limb). Remember to 5' step or cast defensively to not proke.

With two levels of magus, you could channel the spell with spellstrike, adding an additional attack in place of the touch attack that also delivers the spell.

Only one magus level will not get you spellstrike, and unless you have another way to get your caster level up or plan on more levels of magus/ casting prestige class, adding 1d6 electricity 1-3 times a day isn't worth it.

bloodtide
2011-11-04, 02:30 PM
Wait, can you only make attacks with one of them, or can you attack with all of them (a claw, a gore and a bite), because you still have a hand free? You aren't making attacks with your off-hand, you still have your free one.

If you can make three attacks with natural weapons you don't have an 'off hand' per say. You have a primary attack and secondary attacks.

Mockingbird
2011-11-08, 02:38 PM
I would think that you can't attack with the limb you are using to cast. Other than that, you would make a touch attack to deliver the spell (-2 penalty) and make all your natural attacks (minus the one limb). Remember to 5' step or cast defensively to not proke.

With two levels of magus, you could channel the spell with spellstrike, adding an additional attack in place of the touch attack that also delivers the spell.

Only one magus level will not get you spellstrike, and unless you have another way to get your caster level up or plan on more levels of magus/ casting prestige class, adding 1d6 electricity 1-3 times a day isn't worth it.

My caster level is already 2 from Hexblade, so it would go up from Magus to 3d6, which, including my other 3d6, would boot it up to 6d6.

stack
2011-11-08, 03:13 PM
Caster levels from different base classes don't stack. You would cast as a 2nd level hexblade (ie, not at all) and as a level X magus, X being however many levels you take. Prestige classes can add to caster level, as noted in each class.