PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Unwilling Teleport?

Brauron
2011-11-03, 08:03 PM
In the session I'm running this weekend, the PCs are very likely to confront the Mages' Guild in the city they're in -- the PCs have been working to establish an Adventurer's Guild, and in doing so have stepped on the toes of several of the major pre-existing guilds. The Mages' Guild (as I have an established house-rule in my games that high-level NPC Wizards are insufferable, self-righteous jerks who believe themselves to be superior to the "common rabble") has actively tried to hinder the PCs in their plans, in order to prevent them from providing an alternate to the Mages' Guild (the PCs recently came into possession of a wizard's entire library, and have planned for a magical study room in their guild hall).

The PCs are going to find themselves directed to meet with the Archmage; he'll converse with them politely enough, trying to encourage them to see things his way; when they refuse (as PCs are wont to do), he's going to want to simply teleport them away -- specifically, into a basement of the Mages' Guild which contains a malfunctioning Alchemical Golem (This is Pathfinder, btw, so it's the brain in the robot version of the AG). As the PCs are three level 8s and two level 7s, this should be a reasonable challenge.

Problem is, all the Teleportation spells I can find in the SRD specify Willing targets; I can't imagine the PCs going "Sure, Mr. Archmage! Send me somewhere where you hope a brain in a malfunctioning death-machine will disembowel me!" Not even the most battle-crazed and XP-thirsty.

How can I send them to the dungeon, then, if they're unwilling?

Curious
2011-11-03, 08:07 PM
The only unwilling teleportation effect I know of is a Sorceror bloodline ability that plunges you (temporarily) into space. I would simply have a sign waiting up in space that says 'Touch me if you want to live' and is a greater teleportation trap.

deuxhero
2011-11-03, 08:07 PM
Baneful teleport is 3.5 and I forget the book, but it works.

KO them and abuse the always "willing" if unconscious clause?

jindra34
2011-11-03, 08:11 PM
Preset teleport circle?

Talentless
2011-11-03, 10:18 PM
I've always ruled it as a will save if unwilling.

The caster is imposing his will to teleport upon you, but you don't want to go. So... Will save.

Bhaakon
2011-11-03, 10:50 PM
Ice crystal Teleport (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/ice-crystal-teleport) allows for unwilling targets. Also teleportation circle, as asjindra suggests.

agentnone
2011-11-03, 11:14 PM
Or he can simply use a high Bluff skill and lie about where he's teleporting them. Maybe in order for them to have the meeting they have to be teleported into a chamber to meet with the Archmage and the only way for them to leave is by teleport. Have his chamber in a location that is only accessible by teleport. Then, when they're done, he teleports them to the basement by lying to them. Telling them the meeting is done and they need to leave. At such a low level, if they choose to stay and start a fight, he could teleport out himself and they'd be trapped in there forever. So instead of having to come up with a whole bunch of spells or items and whatnot, just have the NPC have the advantage and use it, then lie to the PCs in the typical NPC villain fashion. If he's polite the whole time, the PC's won't see the trap coming. To each their own and all that, but that's what I would do.

NamelessNPC
2011-11-03, 11:48 PM
A hidden hole in the floor "teleports" you downstairs, specifically to the basement. Think Mr Burns.

agentnone
2011-11-04, 12:26 AM
A hidden hole in the floor "teleports" you downstairs, specifically to the basement. Think Mr Burns.

HAH! Awesome!

But on the downside, wouldn't the character's get a Reflex save to avoid this? Unless the whole floor vanishes and there's no place to leap to safety then a saving throw would be a waste of time.

If you do choose this, you have to have him reach for a lever, that wasn't there a second before, to trigger the mechanism.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-04, 12:30 AM
Ice crystal Teleport (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/ice-crystal-teleport) allows for unwilling targets. Also teleportation circle, as asjindra suggests.
That is . . .a weird spell.:smallconfused:

Silva Stormrage
2011-11-04, 12:35 AM

Indeed... I can't see how thats better than teleport...

RndmNumGen
2011-11-04, 12:54 AM
Indeed... I can't see how thats better than teleport...

Well... it's not really better other than 1) being castable on enemies and 2) having a Long range instead of Touch. But yeah, if you don't need one of those then normal Teleport is better.

BobVosh
2011-11-04, 01:03 AM
HAH! Awesome!

But on the downside, wouldn't the character's get a Reflex save to avoid this? Unless the whole floor vanishes and there's no place to leap to safety then a saving throw would be a waste of time.

If you do choose this, you have to have him reach for a lever, that wasn't there a second before, to trigger the mechanism.

Force wall around them, pit trap opens. Wall of force is the best spell due to its hardy nature, and transparent so you know when they have fallen.

Bhaakon
2011-11-04, 01:04 AM

Yeah, I was surprised that it's not 3rd Party. It sort of has that quality about it.

panaikhan
2011-11-04, 08:23 AM
If you can't teleport the players in, have the archmage teleport out.

A few illusions, to make the dungeon look like his office (it's where the PC's are expecting to go, so shouldn't be too difficult) and a contingency on the golem so it's dormant in the archmage's presence.

hewhosaysfish
2011-11-04, 08:28 AM
Or he can simply use a high Bluff skill and lie about where he's teleporting them. Maybe in order for them to have the meeting they have to be teleported into a chamber to meet with the Archmage and the only way for them to leave is by teleport. Have his chamber in a location that is only accessible by teleport. Then, when they're done, he teleports them to the basement by lying to them. Telling them the meeting is done and they need to leave. At such a low level, if they choose to stay and start a fight, he could teleport out himself and they'd be trapped in there forever. So instead of having to come up with a whole bunch of spells or items and whatnot, just have the NPC have the advantage and use it, then lie to the PCs in the typical NPC villain fashion. If he's polite the whole time, the PC's won't see the trap coming. To each their own and all that, but that's what I would do.

I like this one. Perhaps when they arrive, a junior mage could lead them through some sort of portal which teleports people to the Archmage's office. When they're finished, the same guy leads them through another portal... which teleports people to one of 2 different locations depending on whether they're carrying a specific key.

Elfinor
2011-11-04, 09:09 AM
You can place the 'basement' on a small demiplane and plane shift them there. A small plane is necessary to stop them from going miles off target. Presumably there's a method of egress, such as portal, on the plane somewhere.

If you allow 3.5: Bar-Lgua's (Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss) are Demons that can use their Greater Teleport ability on unwilling targets that they've grappled. They might need advancement (+6 attack, +12 grapple) but if he gates a bunch of them in and has them grapple the PC's that could work too.

EDIT: Forgot to include the spells:
Greater Create Demiplane (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-demiplane)This creates the Demiplane with the portal on it. Note that he doesn't actually need to have created the plane, he just needs to know that it exists.
Plane Shift (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/plane-shift) It only does one person at a time...

Abusing Gate (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/gate) is probably better, come to think of it. The description implies that you can place it in any orientation you desire, such as horizontally and beneath the aforementioned trapdoor. You'll still need line of effect and concentration to hold it open, though. It might be better to just create one behind them and quickened Telekinesis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/telekinesis) them in.

CTrees
2011-11-04, 09:52 AM
Floor is a dismissable/dispellable wall. It's somewhere between a standard and a swift action for the enemy wizard to remove the floor, and if it's wall-to-wall, there's nowhere for the PCs to make a reflex save to. Perhaps an illusionary desk, and the wizard using overland flight in the morning? Ta-da, you have an instant teleport, straight down, with added falling damage!

If you feel like the falling damage is too much "adding injury to injury," you could have them fall into water, and build an aquatic version of the alchemical golem. "RELEASE THE ROBOT SHARK!" Could be a fun encounter.