PDA

View Full Version : My little pony game...ugh...

Calanon
2011-11-03, 08:03 PM
Alright so a few days ago I was doing the unthinkable and joking around with my players... the thought of a My little pony game popped up... and in almost an instant my skull smashed into the table with so much rage and in 2 weeks were doing a My little pony game based off of friendship is magic the DM for this game won't be me... of course this won't stop me from playing :smalltongue:

So every player is pretty much mandatory in playing either a pegasus a Unicorn or a horse (Pony)... Logic dictates that I should be a Pegasus for a free fly speed. The question is what is the funniest build i can make using a pegasus... don't worry about Level adjustment just free style on it

All books are allowed... except for Dragon because my friend poured juice on our Dragon compendium...

Randomguy
2011-11-03, 09:01 PM
Unicorns actually get much higher stat bonuses, which I think is worth the trade.

You could be a unicorn druid with a pony animal companion. I don't think there's any rule against a creature with 4 legs being able to ride a mount, so you could summon one up for the lulz.

For the fun of it, you could be a unicorn ubercharger barbarian.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-11-03, 09:32 PM
Are you using the MLP rules (pretty sure I've seen them around) or just doing D&D but replacing the normal races with ponies?

Beleriphon
2011-11-03, 09:45 PM
Isn't one of the ponies always the odd one out? If so play a Gorgon instead.

stainboy
2011-11-03, 09:49 PM
Play a pegasus druid, but with some negative LA template that mostly takes your flight away so you can get more class levels. Find an ability that lets you automatically win every encounter by either being nice to the monster or yelling at the monster.

You want to be totally overpowered, but you want the rest of the party to feel like they matter. Stay out of the spotlight. Roleplay a wallflower. On your first turn of every combat, take some useless action so the other players can get a turn. Let the other pegasus try to charge the monster and hurt herself. Wait patiently while the unicorns stare in bewilderment at their spell lists and the bard makes her Perform (Comedy) check. Never let on that your horrid magebred warbeast direbunny could do four times the damage of the ranger's hoof attacks. When half the party is down, the monster is still at full hitpoints, and the DM is trying to decide between TPK and deus ex machina, then and only then do you go all Tier 1 all over everything.

Alleran
2011-11-03, 10:01 PM
Isn't one of the ponies always the odd one out? If so play a Gorgon instead.
There's always derpy-hooves (I think that's his name).

Ksheep
2011-11-03, 10:06 PM
Borrow a bit from Norse mythology: Try to create Sleipnir, Odin's 8-legged horse. As for how to make it… I'd say look for a template that adds a fair bit to your speed and say that you have 8 legs for fluff sake. Water-walking and overland flight at some point might be good too, but that could just be magic items obtained later on.

"Having 8 legs, [Sleipnir's] speed far exceeded that of any other horse… It is believed that Sleipnir was not only the fastest horse, but that he could be ridden over the sea and through the air by Odin."

LibraryOgre
2011-11-03, 10:45 PM
Hippogriff in denial?
Nightmare Paladin?
Centaur who is snotty about having hands?
Very confused half-dragon (since you'd have an int of 3, you're likely to REMAIN very confused)?
A werehorse, who happens to be, in base, another horse?

Ravens_cry
2011-11-03, 10:59 PM
This (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?569049-What-the-hell-Paizo) might be relevant to your interests.

Calanon
2011-11-04, 04:51 PM
This (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?569049-What-the-hell-Paizo) might be relevant to your interests.

She showed me the races she was using and I realized I had the same page open twice... These are the races were using...

Unicorn Necromancer named "Withering Horn" ...I am disapony at myself...

arguskos
2011-11-04, 05:11 PM
A werehorse, who happens to be, in base, another horse?
I think the thread is over. I mean, a werehorse-horse is pretty much perfect for everything ever. This has to be made to happen.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-04, 05:25 PM
Well, Horse isn't eligible for Lycanthrope by default. An Incarnate Dustform Anthropomorphic Horse would be, though.

DeadManSleeping
2011-11-04, 05:26 PM
3.x or 4e?

Either way, check this: My Little Pony if it were actually a tabletop game. (http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/)

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-04, 05:34 PM
If you do decide on the Pegasus there, ask your DM if you can take a feat to increase your attack and damage rolls by 20% to match your coolness. You might not understand this, but the group will probably back you up on this.

hushblade
2011-11-04, 05:55 PM
Amazingly, just 2 days ago, My group started a MLP campaign with the mane 6. (homebrewed races)

As Discord was being re-petrified, he awoke the tarrasque. It shows up in Ponyville wrecking stuff, each pony tries to stop it(save Twilight who is frantically writing Celestia) and each fail horribly. Celestia sends her a scroll and instructions for her to cast it on the tarrasque, it plane shifts them all to the prime material plane, including the tarrasque, but the ponies land on a boat, and the tarrasque sinks into the abyss. On the boat, they encounter a shrunken head of a dwarf, and the corpse of an elf in the crow's nest. First the DM plans on traumatizing them and putting them on edge enough to make their first kill, making it easier to justify more of it.

Twilight-Wizard
Fluttershy-Druid
Applejack-Ranger/fighter
Rainbowdash-Fighter/Barbarian
Rarity-Sorcerer4/rogueX
Pinkiepie-Bard (Inspire competence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7A7myjLxr4))

Randel
2011-11-04, 05:57 PM
There is a webcomic made ala Darths and Droids where the MLP cast are D&D players. Its called Friendship is Dragons (http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/comics/) and you might find some interesting ideas in it.

Anyway, here are some character ideas:

A pegasus pony rogue. Either has natural sky-blue coloring or has painted himself blue to blend in with the sky. Enjoys sneaking up on people, hiding in trees or clouds, or spying and sniping from a distance using a spyglass or crossbow (or bow and arrow though I don't know how a Pegasus could operate a bow). If you go with the 'colored himself to better hide in the sky' thing then he could regularly recolor himself to camoflage with his surroundings (or get various clothing to do the same thing). Like white colors to blend in with clouds, green camo outfits to blend in with treetops, black-gray for caves or whatnot.

He could be a sort of crazy survivalists, hunting down monsters from the safety of his camoflage... or be really into disguises and having his mane done. Make it a running gag that nobody knows what color his mane really is or how he seems to pop up out the strangest hiding places. (Surprise!).

Though I suppose you could go with either a rogue or a ranger... I'd say stealth or disguese would be good skills to invest in. Not sure if you want him to also have ranks in bluff... people who get used to his crazy camouflage and sneaking assume he's a crazy survivalist until he suddenly decks himself our in formal wear to blend in with a bunch of nobles. Then he reamarks about how a waiters outfit is the perfect camoflage... except when he's a table or chandler.

Sparkle Smash the Earth Pony Barbarian Wizard... no, not a dual class barbarian wizard but a barbarian who claims to be a wizard. Or an Earth Pony who claims to be a unicorn. Expect her to constantly wear a big wizard hat and claim to have awesome magic that's mostly fireworks and card tricks. If she suddenly has to do magic then she just smashes whatever is in the way or blows is up, claiming it to be her own style of magic. The wizard hat either covers up her lack of horn or reveals a fake horn she glued to her forehead.

Put ranks in Bluff and Sleight of Hand so she can claim to have all sorts of impossible powers like twitchy tails that predict the future... then she just keeps twitching her tail till she see's something fall. If anyone asks her to perform some specific trick she says she didn't prepare it yet or cast that spell eariler in the morning, using Detect Magic consists of saying funny words and declaring that all the valuable stuff is cursed (and she should keep them for uncursing) or that random garbage has perfect stat bonuses for the team members she doesn't like.

If an Ursa Major suddenly attacks, have her declare that the Ursa Major defeating spell take alot of preparation and she can't do it without three days of rest. If someone else defeats it then declare that's exactly the spell she used to defeat the last one. If locked in a wizard dues then cheat like its going out of style and punch the other unicorn in the horn.

Prince Charmless (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mo6mqgU9N8) the unicorn sorcerer (or wizard). Learn the spell for creating butterfly wings, cast on self, suddenly declare that you're an alicorn who should have the unconditional obedince of everyone. Complelty ham it up and declare your superiority over everyone else at all opportunities... except when you're outclassed and then hide behind the party fighter. SInce you do need to rest to reclaim spells, constantly play up the fact that you need your beauty sleep before and after completing even the most trivial of tasks.

Of course, feel free to be completely aware of how much of a ham your character is and how useless they seem. Use this obfuscating stupidity to your advantage and plan out stuff to get your way.

Or you could try playing a griffin. Flight like a pegasus, eagle beak and claws and the backside of a griffin. Feel free to play up your carnivorous nature by declaring slain enemies to be delicious (solve a parasprite invasion by getting a net, snagging some, and cooking them up for lunch). Always carry rope (no, its not a big ball of yarn... its just really conveniant to store it like that) which you can use for all sorts of stuff. Maybe find rules for lassoing things, make a flying half-lion half-eagle cowboy. Maybe see if you can use firearms from the Dungeon master guide or the gunslinger from Pathfinder... or skip that nad take craft(baking) and bake up pies to throw at your enemies as nonlethal projectiles. I suppose you'd have to keep the meat pies for yourself or at least avoid hitting ponies with pies full of chicken meat.

DeadManSleeping
2011-11-04, 06:27 PM
There is a webcomic made ala Darths and Droids...

You do realize that Darths and Droids was created entirely because of the way-earlier comic DM of the Rings (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?cat=14), do you not? Attribute correctly! :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2011-11-05, 12:22 AM
You do realize that Darths and Droids was created entirely because of the way-earlier comic DM of the Rings (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?cat=14), do you not? Attribute correctly! :smallbiggrin:
It is interesting noting the differences in the group dynamics in the two. Though they harangue him a lot and disrupt his plots, the Darths and Droids DM is very good at changing things on the fly, comes to enjoy their spontaneity, and there is some definite respect and camaraderie between the players and DM.
The DM of the Rings group is much more unhealthy, you got a DM who railroads so hard you can see the tracks, has no idea what to do when things go outside his control and the players hate his guts as much as he hates theirs, with reason.

She showed me the races she was using and I realized I had the same page open twice... These are the races were using...

Unicorn Necromancer named "Withering Horn" ...I am disapony at myself...
I am more disappointed with that pun.:smalltongue:

Calanon
2011-11-05, 11:28 AM
I am more disappointed with that pun.:smalltongue:

It was the best pun ever and you know it!

nedz
2011-11-05, 02:54 PM
If your intention is to win combats by being nice to people then you could try a Diplomancer build. It'll get old fast mind.

Calmar
2011-11-05, 05:05 PM
I've watched only a few episodes of this series, but to me it seems their adventures are completely skill- and roleplay-driven. Why do some of you worry about combat abilities? :smallconfused:

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-05, 05:52 PM
Are you forgetting the episodes where they actually DID try to enter into melee combat? They charged a MANTICORE, for crying out loud!!

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-05, 06:23 PM
3.x or 4e?

Either way, check this: My Little Pony if it were actually a tabletop game. (http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/)
Gee, thanks. There goes my evening.

LibraryOgre
2011-11-06, 12:50 PM
Well, Horse isn't eligible for Lycanthrope by default. An Incarnate Dustform Anthropomorphic Horse would be, though.

Dude, they're playing tabletop MLP. I think we can safely assume that some rules are going out the window. :smallwink:

Adrayll
2011-11-06, 01:00 PM
Are you forgetting the episodes where they actually DID try to enter into melee combat? They charged a MANTICORE, for crying out loud!!

...which ends via a phenomenal Animal Empathy check or something of the like.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-06, 01:10 PM
It was the best pun ever and you know it!
The best pun is like the true ninja, it is one you do notice see until after it has struck.
Sometimes not even then.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-06, 04:46 PM
I've watched only a few episodes of this series, but to me it seems their adventures are completely skill- and roleplay-driven. Why do some of you worry about combat abilities? :smallconfused:
You know...I wonder if there's a FATE conversion for MLP.

Calanon
2011-11-06, 04:58 PM
Dude, they're playing tabletop MLP. I think we can safely assume that some rules are going out the window. :smallwink:

We also threw, logic, sanity, the rules, my friends underwear and my computer out the window :smalltongue:

The best pun is like the true ninja, it is one you do notice see until after it has struck.
Sometimes not even then.

Ah but did you notice the pun -pun
of a pun right away? WHATS THAT!? you didn't? Than it is a TRUE!
Pun-pun :biggrin:

turkishproverb
2011-11-06, 05:08 PM
This may be relevant to your interests (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=65022).

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-06, 07:46 PM
We also threw [...] my friends underwear [...] out the window :smalltongue:
I've heard about getting in character, but did we really need to know about that?:smalltongue:

Urpriest
2011-11-06, 10:06 PM
So...Melf's Unicorn Arrow. Discuss.