PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Problem

ragingrage
2011-11-03, 10:45 PM
So, I'm having a problem with FF version 7.0.1. I run windows 7, and occasionally my FF browser will go into the "Program not Responding" state. This state will appear seemingly at random times, and has appeared when opening a new tab, when not even looking at FF, and when reading a page. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, and the problem persists. Oh mighty playground, what should I do?
Also, if you would like more information, please tell me and I will try to supply it.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-04, 04:31 AM
Mine just crash quite often. To some degree I can blame myself for opening too many pages, and I've lessened the problem by not using YouTube on FF, but it didn't happen that often before my latest update.

valadil
2011-11-04, 08:35 AM
Delete your firefox profile and start over. If that doesn't do it try AdBlock and FlashBlock to limit how much crap shows up. I've found that most sites work fine on their own, but throw in a bunch of ads or too many video playing tabs, and any browser will crash.

shawnhcorey
2011-11-04, 10:08 AM
I don't run Windows but on Linux, Firefox sometimes appears to freeze because it's too busy to respond. Leave it alone and eventually it will come back. :smallsmile:

H Birchgrove
2011-11-04, 07:25 PM
Delete your firefox profile and start over. If that doesn't do it try AdBlock and FlashBlock to limit how much crap shows up. I've found that most sites work fine on their own, but throw in a bunch of ads or too many video playing tabs, and any browser will crash.

I... have a profile on FF? :smalleek: :smallconfused:

I have some Ad-stopping add-on(s) already; that's why I some times use Explorer to visit this site or else I wouldn't see the ads here.

Lorn
2011-11-04, 09:17 PM
I... have a profile on FF? :smalleek: :smallconfused:

I have some Ad-stopping add-on(s) already; that's why I some times use Explorer to visit this site or else I wouldn't see the ads here.
Start>Run, type in firefox -profilemanager

Alternatively, windows button + R at the same time will bring up the run box.

The profile is stored in appdata/roaming/mozilla/firefox, if I remember correctly. Also, congratulations, you now know how to load up a new profile for stuff you don't want other people finding...

Anyway. More on-topic. I've been having a very similar issue, Win7SP2, latest firefox etc. Clearing out my bookmarks folder has helped a bit.

Beyond that, my best advice is to just taskkill when it stops working :/ Sorry.

Either use Task Manager, or the taskkill command - open Run as described earlier, and type in taskkill /im firefox.exe /f

It'll forcefully end the process, and when you restart you should get the option to restore your old windows and tabs.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-05, 10:29 PM
Thanks, I'll try it later today! :smallsmile: