PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Repricing

Deth Muncher
2011-11-03, 11:03 PM
Hey, so I vaguely recall that when the Magic Item Compendium came out, it repriced some of the ludicrously priced items in the Dungeon Master's Guide. However, upon flipping through it, I don't seem to be able to find said price changes. Was this officially done, or am I hallucinating?

In the event it was not done, has anyone actually gone back and reworked the prices of items based on what they actually should be instead of the shenanigans in the DMG?

tyckspoon
2011-11-03, 11:19 PM
I don't believe any of the DMG items were specifically reprinted; they don't like to change stuff from the Core books. There's some items that are a lot *like* remade DMG items, tho (for instance, Phoenix Cloak compared to Wings of Flying.)

Big Fau
2011-11-03, 11:30 PM
None of the DMG items were reprinted with new prices.

Many of the items in the MiC can be found in other books (several from Sandstorm, for example). Most, if not all, of those items were given new price tags. Offhand, pretty much everything from Eberron got new prices (Cannith Goggles, for starters) with the exception of Eternal Wands (IIRC).

That said, 70% of the items in the DMG can have their prices cut by as much as half. Especially weapons and armor.

BobVosh
2011-11-04, 12:45 AM
None of the DMG items were reprinted with new prices.

Many of the items in the MiC can be found in other books (several from Sandstorm, for example). Most, if not all, of those items were given new price tags. Offhand, pretty much everything from Eberron got new prices (Cannith Goggles, for starters) with the exception of Eternal Wands (IIRC).

That said, 70% of the items in the DMG can have their prices cut by as much as half. Especially weapons and armor.

Also a ton of the wonderous items are incredibly pointless for the cost. I'm look at you, crab machine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab).

CactusAir
2011-11-04, 02:47 AM
Also a ton of the wonderous items are incredibly pointless for the cost. I'm look at you, crab machine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab).

1) It's a magipunk submarine in the shape of a crab? What do you mean it's not awesome?

2) While few PC's want to buy something so situational, having one lying around that a NPC built on a lark is a easy way to work it into a game.

ILM
2011-11-04, 04:36 AM
It's actually interesting how much deflation there's been with items since the Core books. I was looking at houses recently: a mansion in the DMG is 100,000 gp. In Cityscape, a manor house (which is pretty much a mansion (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mansion)) costs 2d8*1000 gp. Makes you wonder how they'd price DMG items in the final days of 3.5.

Coidzor
2011-11-04, 04:52 AM
It's possible you might be thinking about how several items had their pricing changed so that it didn't cost extra GP beyond their base costs to stack them onto items of the appropriate slot, like stat-boosting properties and I think natural armor enhancements.

But yeah, I'd be interested in seeing something like that.

Maybe the Rebalanced Compendium project over on BG touched on the subject? Seems like it'd be better as at least a partially community based endeavour.