PDA

View Full Version : From Dark Sun to Now- Mul's

Taverick
2011-11-04, 04:26 AM
So building a character and I want to use the Mul race, but the DM isn't allowing level adjustments. Now looking at the other Dark Sun races, they all have a level adjustment for their added powers so I'm looking for help to power down this race to be playable. Now I don't have the Dragon Magazine 173 in which the race was originally printed, but I do have 319 where they were reprinted for v3.5.

Here are the stats for the Dark Sun version:
+2 str, +4 con
Medium Sized
Base Land Speed 30ft
Hardy- Only need half as much rest to eliminate the effects of fatigue and exhaustion
Faster Natural Healing- Heal at 2x the normal rate so 2 hp/ lvl(HD), at 10th level they receive fast healing 1 and at 15th fast healing 3
Inborn Power- Gain 3 power points and the ability to use Offensive prescience, manifester level equals character level and DC's are cha based
Favored Class: Fighter
Automatic languages- Common
Bonus languages- Dwarven
Level adjustement- +1

Here are my changes to be non-Dark Sun:
+2 con, -2 Cha
Medium Sized
Base Land Speed 30ft
Hardy- Only need half as much rest to eliminate the effects of fatigue and exhaustion
Faster Natural Healing- Heal at 2x the normal rate so 2 hp/ lvl(HD), at 10th level they receive fast healing 1 and at 15th fast healing 3
Favored Class: Fighter
Automatic languages- Common
Bonus languages- Dwarven

As you can see I just dropped the str bonus, reduced the con bonus, and gave a cha penalty due to them being a slave race and probably not too keen on speaking up, and dropped the psionic ability. I kept the con bonus because it said they were bred for their stamina and all that, trying not to go too different just get away from the continuum where everyone is psychic.
Lemme know what you guys think or if there already is a non-psionic Mul out there.

Yitzi
2011-11-04, 02:17 PM
I'd say you probably also need to remove the fast healing ability in order to make it LA 0.

Taverick
2011-11-06, 03:53 PM
I'd say you probably also need to remove the fast healing ability in order to make it LA 0.

Well, the problem with removing that is that then they have nothing really going for them. No feats, no weapon familiarities, no immunities or resistances. Also the fact that the ability levels with you reduces the impact of the ability.

But I was told that there actually are stats for non-dark sun Muls. Now I looked through the magazine (#319) for them, but couldn't find them. Little help?

Togath
2011-11-07, 05:51 AM
your stats actually seem fairly good, fast healing -while useful- isn't very much at the levels they gain it in the amounts they get(fast healing 1 at level 10 on a + con race isn't likely to make much of a difference, unless the player is using a class with d4 hd[in which case their probably tier 1 anyway and fast healing wont overpower them any further, or tier 6, and need the boost from it])

Taverick
2011-11-09, 02:33 AM
your stats actually seem fairly good, fast healing -while useful- isn't very much at the levels they gain it in the amounts they get(fast healing 1 at level 10 on a + con race isn't likely to make much of a difference, unless the player is using a class with d4 hd[in which case their probably tier 1 anyway and fast healing wont overpower them any further, or tier 6, and need the boost from it])

Yeah this guy is gonna be a shield fighter. So a high con and a d10 HD, at lvl 10 fast healing 1 isn't gonna be much help in a fight. Afterwards it will be, but during not so much.

Taverick
2011-12-16, 09:02 AM
I keep getting told that there is an actual non-dark sun write up for Mul's. Does ANYONE have an idea where these stats are?