PDA

View Full Version : How to fight a monster, step-by-step?

beckyangelix
2011-11-04, 08:11 AM
I am a complete newbie to D&D, and I've been wading through manuals, youtube videos and so on... I just can't find exactly how to fight a monster, step-by-step. I always get it from the player's view, but what about the DM's view? How do I know what the monster does?

Could anyone supply me with a step-by-step how-to for attacks in D&D 3.5, including damage taken by the monster? From the DM's view?

Thanks!

Krazzman
2011-11-04, 08:25 AM
As DM I look up the special abilities of the monster/reading the "common" tactic and either stick to it or use it slightly different.

Now we start with initiative. Either the player starts or you. Now after a round of combat I keep track of what has been used and how many hp are left/are lost. This repeats.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: You declare what the monster did/does and explain it to your Player. Example Bob the Strong and Furious is Fighting against a Wolf.

Wolfie begins due to initiative and charges at Bob.
You can say things like "You hear a howling near you. As soon as you look at the direction from where it comes you see a Wolf charging at you and try to bite into your leg."
If he hits, he makes an automatic trip attempt, else it's bobs turn and now bob strikes Wolfie with his sword. If the Trip attempt was successful Bob would have taken an action to stand up provoking an AoO for Wolfie.

Let's assume it failed and Bob stroke Wolfie. You now write down Current HP or the HP he has lost and explain in what condition Wolfie is now.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-11-04, 08:30 AM
The DM runs monsters exactly like the player plays their character, as for what the monster does, that depends entirely on the DM, think about what the monsters intelligence score is, why they're fighting and so on.

beckyangelix
2011-11-04, 08:31 AM
Could you give me something like:
1. Roll initiative
2. Roll a d20
3. Monster does _______.

That would be most helpful.

Krazzman
2011-11-04, 08:35 AM
Mostly it's explain/narrate, roll appropiate dice (Initiative or surprise round) and then narrate some more followed by dice rolling once more.

Things that should needed to keep track of are: CurrentHP/Lost HP, Initiative (This ones important, i was skipped on 4 turns in one game...), and if you haven't opened your MM you should have the Knowledge Check part printed in front of you and a list of tatics/special abilities should be known.

Edit: Specific Example:

1) Narrative describing the situation like: "As you enter the room you see 3 Goblins that readied themselves to fight you. Roll for Initiative."
2) Rolls 3 d20, Players each roll a d20.
3) Keep track of it. First Steve then Bob, 2 Goblins (G1 and G2), Stan then the last Goblin(G3).
4) Ask what they want to do.
5) Steve and Bob Charge G1.
6) Write down the damage dealt (Steve 4 and Bob 10 meaning either 14 or assuming he has 1 hp left. 1. Else say hes dead and explain.
7) "Your attacks strike the Goblin hard and killing him on spot."
8) "The other Goblin (G2) tries to hit you Bob, since you are the closest enemy." Roll d20 (for hitting) if hit roll appropiate dice for damage. "And he hits you with his tiny and puny morningstar for 1 point of damage."
9) "Stan, what do you want to do?"
10) Stan decided to shoot G3 with his Crossbow and critically hits for 20 damage.
11) "While your buddies charged at the enemy you took your time to ready your crossbow. Without aiming too long you shoot and hit the Goblin right between the eyes and now see him falling over."
12) Start of next round.

Hope this is a good visualation...

Vowtz
2011-11-04, 08:44 AM
As simple as possible:

1 - roll initiative: that will define who will act when;
2 - See monster special attacks(if he has gaze attacks, pounce ability,dominate, this kind of things);
3 - When it is the monster turn, use his special attacks, or take a full attack action, or move then attack, depending on the situation;

On a player turn he can attack the monster, then you subtracte the damage dealt from the creatures hit point, if anyone use magic on him, roll his saving throws and adjust the situation poperly.

Learn about the rules of attacks of opportunity.

Vladislav
2011-11-04, 09:45 AM
As DM I look up the special abilities of the monster/reading the "common" tactic and either stick to it or use it slightly different.

Now we start with initiative. ...In circumstances where "you break into a room and see three goblins", both sides become aware at the same time, but sometimes you want to start with Spot/Listen checks to see if one side becomes aware of the other first. Whoever becomes aware first, gets a surprise round (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/initiative.htm#surprise), and only then initiative is rolled.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-04, 10:30 AM
It's really a combination of math and description. Turn order helps if you have played any CCGs over the years. I'll toss out an advanced combat example

We start with initiative.
Player 1, Player 2, Monster
P1 roll 1d20+10= 17
P2= 8
M= 18
Monster had the highest initiative, so he goes first, this is where descriptions come in

"An earsplitting roar pierces the air as the great serpent throws back its head. The roar is answered by a mournful howl and the shadow of a wolf momentarily blocks out the moon. The ground begins to shake as a legion of corpses burst out of the earth"
Now, something out of the ordinary has happened that can be adjudicated by skills and class abilities
"Player one, roll spellcraft"
P1: 54
"That was an animate dead seed based epic spell"
P1: Oh, wonderful.
"With a contemptuous flick of a claw, a muttered word, and a brief glowing rune, the dragon begins another spell"
Now here you pause because the players can respond with their own abilities to try and interrupt/stop whatever it is doing, make sure you know your player's capabilities so you know whether to pause or not
P1: Spellcraft 47
DM: "He's casting quickened streamers"
P1 "Heck no, I'm going to disjunction that ***** off of a celerity!"
DM "pulling a fragment of your future into the now, you complete the words of dissolution. The air shimmers and fills with a sound of breaking glass as the spell is countered. The dragon looks taken aback as the spells protecting it shatter under your will"
P1: My turn? Good, I have mark of the dauntless and am not dazed. I activate arcane spellsurge and then spontaneously cast shapechange out of my spellbook with uncanny forethought as a standard action. I shift into a monolith of living indestructible metal, a zodar.
P2 "Is it my turn! I wanna hit it with my sword!"
DM "yeah, it's your turn"
P2 "Let's do this! Leeerrrrroy Jeeeennnnnkins! Headlong rush! Power attack for full! Battle jump! Woot! 1d20+54! 67 to hit!"
DM "You charge the ranks of the dead, axe whirling above your head, impacting with the force of a falling star. Roll damage"
P2 "2d6+384!"
DM "The skeleton before you shatters like ceramic, the parts falling to the ground like rai-
P2 "I HAVE GREAT CLEAVE!"
DM "Fine, the skeletons are dead, happy? The dragon goes now!"
P2 "I didn't get to roll damage!"
DM "Shut up! The dragon charges at you like an avalanche, malice burning in its ancient eyes, falling upon you, P2, in a flurry of fang and claw... You have a response player 2?
P2 "I have an axe!"
DM: No then. He rolls attack. 1 d20 +75/70/70/65/65/60/60... what's your AC again?
P2: I'm a shocktrooper!
DM: Ok, well, I didn't roll any 1's so they all hit, you take... 12d6+45, then 6 cases of 6d6+24... total of 435 damage... let me see your sheet... are these cheetos stains? Looks like that kills you... "With a swift jerking motion the dragon tears P2's upper torso off in a shower of gore, the soft spattering sound of blood echos in your ears P1
P1: A party member has fallen, activating my contingency! Celerity! I use the zodars 1/year Ex alter reality to bring him back!
DM: A dead silence fills the clearing as a wind picks up, scattering the autumn leaves-
P2 "I GRAB MY AXE!"
DM: "GOD DMN IT!"

Now, I doubt you are running epic combat, and I hope your players are slightly better than our token optimizer and idiot, but this is how a round of combat generally looks

Krazzman
2011-11-04, 10:39 AM
P2 "I GRAB MY AXE!"

xD

To the part about the surprise round, jeah that are mechanics that should be "learned". But for a normal Combat 3 Goblins with a Morningstar are sufficient, alt least in my opinion^^

beckyangelix
2011-11-05, 04:42 PM
Thank you so much, everyone!

Definitely helped :)