PDA

View Full Version : Feat to replace Combat Expertise?

Eldan
2011-11-04, 08:55 AM
I faintly remember seeing a feat somewhere that you could use instead of Combat Expertise to qualify for feats and prestige classes, similar to taking Expeditious Dodge instead of Dodge, or Shadow Blade instead of Weapon Finesse. However, a search has not turned up such a feat.

Am I misremembering things and this feat doesn't exist? Or is it somewhere I haven't checked yet?

Ernir
2011-11-04, 11:17 AM
The Wolf Berserker feat from Unapproachable East lets you ignore the Combat Expertise requirement on Improved Trip, but that's all I can think of.

Darrin
2011-11-04, 12:20 PM
Am I misremembering things and this feat doesn't exist? Or is it somewhere I haven't checked yet?

Are you thinking of Evasive Reflexes (Tome of Battle), which can be used instead of Combat Reflexes? That's the one I always get mixed up with Combat Expertise.

What are you trying to qualify for? We might be able to recommend a work-around.

Person_Man
2011-11-04, 09:39 PM
As a house rule I let anyone take Improved Combat Expertise or Epic Combat Expertise (Comp Warrior) with no pre-reqs in place of normal Combat Expertise. Improved removes the -5 to-hit/+5 AC cap, and thus allows them to get an AC bonus equal o their BAB (which is useful for builds that can generate at least one attack per turn, but are not relying on it for their main action. For example, someone using Fear or a breath weapon or spell or psionics, who also has some method of generating at least one AoO per turn). Epic allows an adjacent ally to benefit from it, which is useful for certain defense combos.

If their real goal is just to get Improved Trip or something similar that doesn't actually use Combat Expertise, I'll just waive the requirement altogether, because it's a garbage Feat.