PDA

View Full Version : Scout/Tempest Build help

Bobbunny
2011-11-04, 02:43 PM
I am going halfling Scout into a Tempest.

Do you guys have any thoughts on some builds? Things like ideas for feats, skills, and play styles would help.

Icestorm245
2011-11-04, 03:05 PM
If Boundless Assault and Rapid Blitz works the way I think it should and not as written, I would suggest those. It says you're able to target a second (Boundless) and a third (Rapid) opponent while making a spring attack. You can choose to take all three attacks against one, or against both or all targets. I think it should, but don't know if it does, allow you to take those extra attacks against a single creature, regardless if they have another target that you can threaten.

Darrin
2011-11-04, 03:13 PM
I am going halfling Scout into a Tempest.

Do you guys have any thoughts on some builds? Things like ideas for feats, skills, and play styles would help.

The general advice around here for Tempest is, "Never go into Tempest. No, not even then." You waste too many feats just to get into it, and almost none of the class features really help you with TWF.

Have you considered a Swift Hunter build yet? How many levels of Scout do you have so far, and what books do you have available?

Bobbunny
2011-11-04, 03:18 PM
The general advice around here for Tempest is, "Never go into Tempest. No, not even then." You waste too many feats just to get into it, and almost none of the class features really help you with TWF.

Have you considered a Swift Hunter build yet? How many levels of Scout do you have so far, and what books do you have available?

Not at all!
Only because I'm fairly new to D&D.
3 Levels of Scout
Pretty much all books on pdfs.

Edit: I use:
4 Handaxes
1 Short Sword
1 Shortbow
and a Harpoon

CactusAir
2011-11-04, 03:21 PM
Tempest is a trap. Also, TWF requires a full attack, so you need some way of moving and full attacking the same round if you want a skirmish bonus.

Scout4/Ranger11/Tempest5 using Lion's Charge if you must have tempest. Swift hunter is nice, and if you make good equipment choices it can make up for the 5 wasted levels.

EDIT: I see you are willing to drop tempest. Excellent.

Scout4/Cloistered cleric1 (for travel domain)/Ordained Champion1 (bonus feats)/Ranger14.

I personally feel that Skirmish is best used with Ranged combat. But eh, go with TWF if you want.

Keld Denar
2011-11-04, 03:23 PM
Swift Hunter is basically what happens with you duct tape Skirmish damage on a Ranger's full BAB. Typical builds go Scout3/Ranger17 or Scout4/Ranger16. Both have the same amount of BAB (more attacks) and full scout skirmish damage.

Then you take your ranger casting, pick up spells like Lion's Charge or other self buff spells (check Spell Compendium, the PHBII, and Champions of Ruin), and go to town. If you run out of juice, consider buying a couple of Pearl of Power 1s and 2s to power your low level spells.

Bobbunny
2011-11-04, 03:31 PM
And what books would I need for a swift hunter?

Cog
2011-11-04, 03:36 PM
Complete Adventurer for Scout, Complete Scoundrel for the Swift Hunter feat.

Bobbunny
2011-11-04, 03:46 PM
Any good feats for it?
Planning to go 2 weapon fighting.

CactusAir
2011-11-04, 04:28 PM
Any good feats for it?
Planning to go 2 weapon fighting.

As previously noted, you need to find a way to move and TWF in the same round. A dip in Cloistered Cleric for Travel devotion is a good idea.

Darrin
2011-11-04, 07:58 PM
Not at all!
Only because I'm fairly new to D&D.
3 Levels of Scout

Excellent. That's pretty much exactly where you want to be for Swift Hunter.

Race? Feats already taken?

A basic Swift Hunter TWF build:

1) Scout 1. Feat: Travel Devotion. Human: Combat Reflexes.
2) Scout 2.
3) Scout 3. Feat: Travel Devotion.
4) Ranger 1. Trap Expert ACF (Dungeonscape), Spiritual Connection ACF (CChamp)
5) Ranger 2. Bonus: TWF
6) Ranger 3. Bonus: Endurance. Feat: Swift Hunter (Complete Scoundrel)
7) Scout 4. Bonus: Improved Skirmish (Complete Scoundrel)
8) Ranger 4. Distracting Attack ACF (PHBII)
9) Ranger 5. Feat: Sword of the Arcane Order (Champions of Valor)
10) Ranger 6. Bonus: Improved TWF.
11) Ranger 7.
12) Ranger 8. Feat: Double Hit (Miniatures Handbook)
13) Ranger 9.
14) Ranger 10.
15) Ranger 11. Bonus: Greater TWF. Feat: Travel Devotion.
16) Ranger 12.
17) Ranger 13.
18) Ranger 14. Feat: Minor Shapeshift (Complete Mage)
19) Ranger 15.
20) Ranger 16.

This gives you BAB +19 and Skirmish (+5d6, +5 AC)/Improved Skirmish (+7d6, +7 AC).

Bobbunny
2011-11-04, 08:45 PM
Excellent. That's pretty much exactly where you want to be for Swift Hunter.

Race? Feats already taken?

A basic Swift Hunter TWF build:

1) Scout 1. Feat: Travel Devotion. Human: Combat Reflexes.
2) Scout 2.
3) Scout 3. Feat: Travel Devotion.
4) Ranger 1. Trap Expert ACF (Dungeonscape), Spiritual Connection ACF (CChamp)
5) Ranger 2. Bonus: TWF
6) Ranger 3. Bonus: Endurance. Feat: Swift Hunter (Complete Scoundrel)
7) Scout 4. Bonus: Improved Skirmish (Complete Scoundrel)
8) Ranger 4. Distracting Attack ACF (PHBII)
9) Ranger 5. Feat: Sword of the Arcane Order (Champions of Valor)
10) Ranger 6. Bonus: Improved TWF.
11) Ranger 7.
12) Ranger 8. Feat: Double Hit (Miniatures Handbook)
13) Ranger 9.
14) Ranger 10.
15) Ranger 11. Bonus: Greater TWF. Feat: Travel Devotion.
16) Ranger 12.
17) Ranger 13.
18) Ranger 14. Feat: Minor Shapeshift (Complete Mage)
19) Ranger 15.
20) Ranger 16.

This gives you BAB +19 and Skirmish (+5d6, +5 AC)/Improved Skirmish (+7d6, +7 AC).

Halfling
Taken Two-Weapon Fighting and Endurance
I was going to go for a 3 Scout/ 17 Ranger. What's the point of getting Ordained Champion and Cloistered Cleric? (And books) DM not letting me. Just going to attempt a 3/17.

Keld Denar
2011-11-05, 04:21 AM
I'd go 4/16. You get that delicious bonus feat from Scout4, and it you still get +1 BAB.

Endurance isn't a total loss. When you get to Ranger3, you normally get Endurance as a bonus feat. Since you already have it, you can nab something else.

Zaq
2011-11-05, 11:32 AM
I'd go 4/16. You get that delicious bonus feat from Scout4, and it you still get +1 BAB.

Endurance isn't a total loss. When you get to Ranger3, you normally get Endurance as a bonus feat. Since you already have it, you can nab something else.

I don't see anything in the Ranger description that says you get a different feat if you already have Endurance.

Bobbunny
2011-11-05, 05:14 PM
I don't see anything in the Ranger description that says you get a different feat if you already have Endurance.

Doesn't matter, I'll just change it to Improved SKirmish seeing as I have yet to use Endurance.

Metahuman1
2011-11-05, 07:10 PM
Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian + Cleric for one level apiece should take care of your movement issues.

See if you can get away with using something like the Shadow Creature Template to get Hide in Plain Sight. Then Max Hide and Move Silently and take the Darkstalker feat. Will keep opponents flat footed when there fighting you and make them easier to hit for the most part. Will also improve your defenses against many types of opponents.

Bobbunny
2011-11-05, 08:56 PM
Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian + Cleric for one level apiece should take care of your movement issues.

See if you can get away with using something like the Shadow Creature Template to get Hide in Plain Sight. Then Max Hide and Move Silently and take the Darkstalker feat. Will keep opponents flat footed when there fighting you and make them easier to hit for the most part. Will also improve your defenses against many types of opponents.

That ball of text made no sense to me what so ever...

Bobbunny
2011-11-05, 09:23 PM
DM ruled only feats from PHB 1, except feats that he finds "fair". So now, anyone have something for me? I'm afraid that I am currently pretty much leaning towards chaotic evil and am barely chaotic neutral/neutral evil/ true neutral.

kulosle
2011-11-07, 05:16 PM
do yourself a favor and look the scout, swift hunter, and dervish handbooks. i highly recommend dervish for anyone going two weapon fighting with scout. its the most reliable way to move and full attack. the feat entry is rather steep though. also take the feat acrobatic strike IIRC gives you a +6ish on attacking people you tumble by/through. max tumble so you don't provoke so many AoO and get bonuses to hit. the best thing with scout is the thrower, IMO. which you could still do. builds are in the hand book have a look.

Metahuman1
2011-11-07, 05:24 PM
DM ruled only feats from PHB 1, except feats that he finds "fair". So now, anyone have something for me? I'm afraid that I am currently pretty much leaning towards chaotic evil and am barely chaotic neutral/neutral evil/ true neutral.

In that case, I'm afraid the very best advice I can give you is play a Druid or a Wizard, maybe a Cleric or Sorcerer if you want to tone down your power abit.

This DM seems reluctant to go outside of Core, meaning your choices are really "suck hard at everything" or "Have the ability to decided each in game day if/how much you want to break the game."