PDA

View Full Version : Naga [3.5 Race, PEACH]

Edio
2011-11-04, 02:56 PM
Hallo all! I've been advised to pop by the GitP forums to get some advice on my race. Any help in balancing would be greatly appreciated, as would advice on general improvement. Please be gentle. :smalltongue:

Here's the original post of the race that I had. Much description/languages is campaign specific, so disregard that for the most part.

Naga
Large (long) Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian)
HD 1d8-1 (7 hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); Swim 20 ft. (4 squares)
Init: +0
AC 11; touch 10; flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex, +1 Natural, -1 Size)
BAB +0; Grp +4 (+4 Size)
Attack n/a
Full-Attack n/a
Space 5 ft. (1 square); Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Constrict
Special Qualities Low Light Vision
Saves Fort +0 Ref +1 Will +0
Abilities Str 10, Dex 12, Con 8, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills Move Silently +2, Climb +2, Escape Artist +2
Feats n/a
Environment Temperate Forests
Organization n/a
Challenge Rating n/a
Treasure Standard
Alignment Usually neutral
Advancement by class; Favored Class Fighter
Level Adjustment +0

Description/Lore:

Description
Personality:
Naga personality varies greatly from individual to individual; they have no set personality type.

Physical Description:
Naga resemble snakes from the start of the legs, down (their legs meld together into a snake tail). Their upper body is that of an Elf. They possess long tails ranging from 9 to 15 feet in length in place of legs. The size, color, and shape of the scales on their tails vary from individual or group. The color of the hair generally corresponds in some way to their scale color. Some possess hoods along the side of their waist, others have rattles on the tips of their tails.

Relations:
Relations with Elves, Gnomes, and Fey are generally quite good regardless of the origin of the Naga. Other relations can be altered based on habitat and community. Earth (Subterranean) Naga are quite suspicious of Halflings, having limited encounters with the Alfheim Empire.

Alignment:
Naga alignment is highly varied. Some are very kind, while others can be considered extremely cruel. The Naga generally is not conscious of the difference, acting only as it feels is right- it is other races that put an alignment on them.

Naga Lands:
Nagas are very widespread, inhabiting reefs, islands, cave systems, forests, or grassy prairies. The majority of Nagas are grass and forest Nagas, originating from the Elven lands.

Religion:
The majority of Nagas follow Seshkali. Seshkali is the Goddess of the Naga. Seshkali most often takes the form of a four-armed Naga and is associated with water, knowledge, war, and time. She is often depicted holding a pata in each of her upper arms and a large hourglass in her lower arms.

Language:
Nagas speak Draconic and Common, but often learn the languages of those that they encounter often. As such, many know Elven or Sylvan. These Naga come primarily from the southern Elven lands. Subterranean nagas often learn Gnome or Dwarf. Aquatic Naga generally know Aquan or Halfling, since these are the ones that trade the most with the Imperials.

Adventurers:
Being fairly adaptable to many environments, they enjoy travel. Adventuring is an easy way to get around. Typical Naga adventurers are Rangers.

Racial Traits and Mechanics:

Racial Traits and Mechanics
• Creature Type: Monstrous Humanoid.
• Medium: As medium creatures, Naga have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size. A Naga is treated as a quadruped for carrying capacity.
• Ability Modifiers: Nagas are exceptionally dexterous, much like both Elves and snakes, giving them +2 Dex. Again, like both, they are not very tough; they have a penalty of -2 Con.
• Naga base land speed is 30 feet. They have a swim speed of 20 ft. A Naga may use its Dex instead of Str when making Climb checks.
• Racial Bonuses: Move Silently +2 , Climb +2, Escape Artist +2.
• Low-Light Vision (Ex): A naga may see in much dimmer light than a human thanks to their Elven upper-halves.
• Natural Armor: A Naga's scales give it a +1 bonus to Natural Armor.
• Constrict (Ex): A Naga that successfully grapples a target may Constrict them for 1d4+Str damage with its coils.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic
• Bonus Languages: Sylvan, Elven, Dwarven, Gnome, Halfling
• Favored Class: Fighter

If it's somewhat awkward, it's because it's still in development.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-11-05, 11:10 AM
The "occupies two squares" thing is nonstandard. That used to be done in 3.0, but in 3.5 we just make them Large (long), occupying a 2x2 square but with only 5' reach. (The assumption is that they'll coil up in combat to avoid getting stabbed in the tail and things like that. Also, when snakes try to move fast on the ground they twist up into an S-shape. They only spread out like that when climbing or hunting.) If you're worried about weapon damage because of that, you can also include the caveat that they are treated as Medium for the purpose of weapon sizing.

If you do make them Large, then they don't need a +4 racial bonus to grapple checks and Coil.

The prone thing is weird, I can't think of a single monster that gets that sort of ability. What if they get flipped on their backs? I think you would be better off giving them a +4 bonus to checks to resist being tripped and bull rushed (for the same reason quadrupeds get it.)

Cannot Jump is also weird. There isn't any monster that gets that kind of penalty, and what's keeping a snake from coiling up to spring forward or rearing up to grab something above it?

Now, balance... The grappling is overpowered. I would get rid of Improved Grab, and reduce both the natural attack and constrict ability by one die size. Maybe get rid of the tail slam and replace it with a +1 natural armor bonus.

Edio
2011-11-05, 12:09 PM
My DM doesn't want Large PCs in the campaign, so that's out. That is a good idea though, I might include that in a later version. I guess I'll just keep it to Medium.

Alright, removed Cannot Jump, Slither, and the two squares thing. I was mostly wanting to use those as penalties. I suppose that you are correct. My [pet] snake mostly spreads out, but I don't see it moving all that fast often.

Gave them a +1 Natural armor bonus and removed the Improved Grab/Grapple/Tail Slam abilities.

Would reducing their Movement Speed to 20 ft., improving their Swim Speed to 30 ft., and giving them a bigger bonus to climb or a climb speed work? Not sure about the speed.

RedWarlock
2011-11-05, 12:29 PM
Aww, they were non-standard, but I liked them. The squares part was particularly interesting, in my mind, because it wasn't just large (long), it was a variant medium with an unusual maneuvering ability. The jump penalty makes sense to me, as did the slither ability.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-05, 12:29 PM
I'd be kind of worried about the Monstrous Humanoid thing, as it gives them immunity to a lot of really dangerous low-leveled spells, like Charm Person.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-11-05, 02:05 PM
If your GM won't let them be Large-sized, tell him that it's Large (Long) which means no reach, and you'll give them the Undersized Weapons trait.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/centaur

I'd be kind of worried about the Monstrous Humanoid thing, as it gives them immunity to a lot of really dangerous low-leveled spells, like Charm Person.

But that could be a racial benefit. That and 20' move speed would make them a pretty solid race.

Edio
2011-11-05, 02:51 PM
Alright. DM is fine with it. I'll be going through and making the adjustments for Large (long).