PDA

View Full Version : Cloud City(Mages Tower)

BelGareth
2011-11-04, 03:21 PM
This is a private thread for Analyn & Alyera.

The guard looks down at both of you and smiles with a big grin, you get to see the green filthy teeth has housed inside his mouth and the odor of onion garlic streams towards your nose.
"Look, I aint no fool. You ain't Wife of no Baron let alone the mistress of my sergeant over there." he jabs with his fat thumb towards another guard standing only a few feet away. "You both best get lost before I have to arrest you."

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-05, 04:44 AM
"You know, I don't think thats going to happen" I said, Aggressively, prodding the guard in the chest with my staff. I was pushing my luck, and I knew it, but I wasn't going to just walk away. I'd chosen to investigate the tower, and dammit, I was going to investigate the tower!

I let my arm go loose and placed my staff solidly on the ground. Doing my best to look kind, I continued speaking "Please, just let us through. I don't want to hurt you guys, but I'm going into those ruins no matter what you do. All you get to decide is if you get smacked around a bit before I do"

Okay, assuming that I can't see any other Soldiers who aren't within 15ft of me, I will ready an action to cast Color Spray at these guards (with a DC 16 will save to resist) if they don't comply and let us through.

If I can see other guards that are out of range, I'll still do that, but I'll think about what to do next after these ones go down like a sack of potatoes.

SamBurke
2011-11-05, 10:19 PM
Alyera stops dead in her rant. Her eyes continue to flare, and she turns slowly, ever so slowly, with all the rage that only a woman can conjure against a speaker of foolish words. "Ahem? Were you talking... TO ME?" She sidles past Analyn with just a little bit of a swagger, not even pausing when delivering a quiet, unnoticeable whisper. "Let me take this, girl... :smallwink:"

She moves on to the guard, her voice slow and quiet, but growing with each bit-off word. "I know what you're thinking. Are those women... or nobles? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I'm not sure you could call us noble. But being as this is nobility, the most powerful force in the world, able to cut your head clean off... You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' She grinned wickedly, muttering something and bringing her fingers together with a glee that disguised their true purpose.

"Well, do you, varlet?"

A cookie to anyone who gets it. :big grin:

Bluff Check:[roll0]

Also, casting Charm Person AGAIN (seems to be used waaaaaaay too often) on this guy, using my creepy movements and muttering as the verbal and somatic components.

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-06, 12:59 AM
I don't even have anything to say, but dammit... Dirty Harry shouldn't be awesome when used to pretend to be Noble at people, but...

I don't know whether or not to facepalm or laugh?

BelGareth
2011-11-06, 11:35 AM
Once again the guard looks at the two of you incredulously, blinking his eyes as if he missed something. He could not believe what he was seeing, let alone hearing.

Spot [roll0] to see spellcasting

The guard raises an eyebrow and suddenly realizes what your doing, he kicks backwards and yells to his sergeant.

"SERGEANT! WE HAVE AN ANCY SPELLCASTER HERE!"

As he moves back he draws his sword and you see the other guards beginning to move in to position.

OOC: You could have covered it with sleight of hand or still spell/silent spell.

BelGareth
2011-11-06, 11:42 AM
Will save vs spell [roll0]

OOC: I'm using the boards rollers so you can see I'm not cheating! lol Anyway, you managed to cast the spell but he obviously managed his save.

Alerya, go ahead and cast your readied color spray now, you can get two guards with it.

EDIT: I will post there will saves...

BelGareth
2011-11-06, 11:46 AM
Will saves:

Guard you are talking to: [roll0]

Guard 2: [roll1]

You cast your spell and the colorful patterns overwhelm the two guards in the burst of coalescing energy. Both guards eyes seem to turn milky white and they both drop their weapons and grab there eyes.

(please roll 1d4 for each guards blindness duration)

You now realize that you will have to deal with the rest of these guards.

Roll initiative, please.

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-06, 04:35 PM
Ah, hell nah...That Charm Person is cursed :smalleek:

[roll0]
[roll1]

I'm slightly worried that we're fighting a few 3-4 HD Melee types. I'd almost prefer fighting the zombies :smalltongue:

Initiative: [roll2]

I don't think this is going to go over well at all...

"SERGEANT! WE HAVE AN ANCY SPELLCASTER HERE!"

...now I get to have a brilliant sense of accomplishment that I was right

I thrust out my staff and shouted a garble of Arcane Sylables, and a blast of colors exploded around the two guards. The colors dissipated, and the guards stood stunned and blinded. Now there was just the issue of all the other guards.

Squaring up, holding my staff at the ready, I stared the other guards down and prepared for a fight.

Why couldn't this have happened when I was still angry?

SamBurke
2011-11-06, 06:44 PM
"Don't hurt anyone!" Curse it. Why can't I ever be "persuasive" enough to get things done... I guess I am worthy of my lot... Curse it again, I can't let them hurt us, not yet. I just hope the mage understands.

PROTECT.

Alyera dodges into the front, running blindly straight towards the men, praying with every step for guidance. She stops her fervent pleas just long enough to shout, "Analyn! Let me take this!"

Oh. Snap. This was not supposed to be combat... I have a grand total of 0 combat spells, though Sleep might work.

Also, the bluff check was to keep anyone from noticing my hand movements.

BelGareth
2011-11-08, 01:45 PM
At the sight of two of the guards clutching there eyes and moaning after the colorful spray of iridescent light the 'Captain' turns to you all sword drawn and says calm as can be;

"I will allow you to leave to understand what you have done, but if you stay I am within the law of this city to slay you here right now. Assaulting a Guardsmen is punishable by death, but I am willing to overlook this as a mistake." he pauses for dramatic affect "Given the situation of current events."

The Captain seems to convey the seriousness of the situation, and seems to be able to back it up.

You both become Shaken (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Shaken).

Also, the bluff check was to keep anyone from noticing my hand movements.

I know that was your intent, check my previous post about the possible ways of covering it up, bluff is not one of them. Sorry!

SamBurke
2011-11-08, 02:04 PM
Ok, gotcha. Will do in the future.

Alyera freezes for a moment, maybe longer, and the seriousness of what she's done sinks in deep. Time and time again, her choice of friends had gotten her into trouble... she wasn't a bad person on her own. Was she?

The memory of her father's innumerable lectures tears back from the recesses of shadow in her mind.

Her father knelt down next her and help up a charred remnant of a grapefruit. "Alyera..." He sighed. "Alyera, I know you love fire. It is beautiful, and it is useful. But just because you like the way something burns doesn't mean you should let your friends egg you into burning down a shop! What if this had been a store, instead of just a cart?"

Alyera looked down in shame. "More of this man's property would have been destroyed."

Her father nodded. "Good. You know the consequences of your actions: you just need to think about them before you do something. Is there anything else you might do?"

It was her turn to sigh. "Yes sir."

He raised one eyebrow.

"I'll fix the damage as best as I can, sir."

Alyera's eyes twisted back to focus, a focus razor-sharp, as intense as the death gaze of a balisk. "I am truly sorry about this incident. Me and my colleague will right the wrongs as best we can." Alyera's mind is obviously calculating innumerable things behind the pale blue eyes, but her intentions are unmistakeable: she means what she says.

I'm assuming it's mid-day by now. Not sure how I can reset my spells to help these guys, but I'm going to try.

Derp. Why didn't we just ask to see their leader instead of using magic?

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-09, 05:42 AM
I backed down now. This guy was...well, he had no reason to be, but he was terrifying. The way he was standing, and his voice...

I stumbled back, leaning on my staff for support. I wanted to run away and hide under the pillows until the world went away. I...

...I didn't know what to do. I didn't...help...

"I am truly sorry about this incident. Me and my colleague will right the wrongs as best we can."

"Ah, yes, of course. But I...um... don't really have any experience with healing people from their injuries, so I don't really think I can do anything here. My spell will end shortly, and then they'll be fine" I said, backing up with quickly increasing pace. By the time I had finished my sentence, I was almost (but not quite) running away from the Captain.

"Alyera, If you want to help out, I guess I'll meet up with you later" And with that, I dashed away and around a corner, out of sight of the guards.

Breathing heavily, in fear, I slid down the side of a wall and slumped on the ground. Slowly, I got my cool back. Slowly I stood back to my feet.

Okay, I suppose I'll need to try a different tactic

Clasping my hands together, I started to weave magic around me. Tendrils of energy surrounded me, forming into...Nothing! Just a cone of what would have been simply air to all but the most stringent of observers!

And as it finished wrapping around me, I disapeared, hidden beneath the illusory veil of exactly what had been there beforehand. Carefully, I started to slowly move forward, concentrating on maintaining the illusion, and modifying it when necessary. So, I might not be able to walk into the tower, but now I was no more than a wisp on the air. All I needed to do was wait for Alyera to follow me, and I could explain what I'd done, and expand the illusion to hide her as well.

Then we would simply walk into the ruins, past the terrifying Captain unseen.

Why? Because we are Spellcasters, and magic is our Forte! Those petty mortal guards were in our way, and so we used our mystic might to remove that obstacle

If it weren't for the fact that one of them is unbelievably scary, we could have taken them all on.

Also, Silent Image is what I'm using. A duration of Concentration and cunning is all a Mage ever needs :smallwink:

SamBurke
2011-11-09, 10:57 AM
Alyera watches her colleague run and disappear, and apologizes profusely, still slightly scared of the man before her, and asks, "So, how may I help?"

BelGareth
2011-11-09, 01:03 PM
The guard looks at you and smirks "You get can help by getting out of here! Leave now, or did I not make myself clear enough?" He takes a step toward you menacingly.

You are no longer Shaken, the intimidating guard having spooked you for only a couple of seconds.

Ok, I see what your trying to do with the silent image spell, kudos in trying to use it in this fashion, that being said, its going to be very, hard for you to do this. SO here is my adjudication of the situation:
1. You can only 'hide' one dimension (as in one direction, the one facing the guards, anyone behind you would see you sneaking along in front of the guards and it would look weird, think harry potter and the invisible cloak)
2. You will need to make a concentration check for movement you make, its going to be hard to maintain concentration while moving.
3. This isn't going to be invisibility, so you'll get a +10 hide bonus when you successfully make a concentration check.
4. The guards will retain their passive spot checks.

SamBurke
2011-11-09, 03:59 PM
"Very good, sir. I will do so. Please convey my apologies to your men. I wish this could have been conducted in a more amiable fashion." Alyera bows with all the grace she can muster, and moves away.

I assume you don't want me to make a check for that bow? :smallwink:

Hrm... I'll have to try making a stealth check into this place.

[roll0]. Initially, she's just going to move around, to see if other people can see her. If she can dodge normal people, she'll try hitting up big people.

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-09, 11:05 PM
I think thats fair. Image Spells are notoriously difficult to deal with depending on how they are being used.

In any case, how hard is the Concentration check to maintain it? After all, 3.5 Duration of "Concentration" is just spending a Standard action unless you are disrupted by something (Loud Noises, Damage, etc). Since Pathfinder changed concentration, that might have changed, but if so I was unaware.

Unless that is no longer the case, I'll just go with the "Standard Action" version and take a 5ft step each round. If I move any more than that, I'll make a proper check to avoid losing it, but as I understand the mechanics for a 5ft step, it takes nearly no effort to do. If you'd like me to make a Concentration check for 5ft steps, I'll retroactively make one in the OOC thread or in my next post.

The +10 to Stealth seems fair to me.

I slowly moved forward, moving to the left of where the guards where standing. As I moved, I slowly edged around the screen I'd created with my illusion, doing my best to keep it between me and them.

I made sure that I walked slowly enough that it didn't interfere with my concentration on the spell. I had to move very slowly, and thankfully there wasn't anyone walking on the street as well. Presumably the other people in the city had either made their way to the outskirts to try and escape the wall, and those who hadn't were unwilling to come near the tower.

As I slowly moved forward, I tried to spot Alyera while still keeping hold of the spell, but the Halfling seemed to have disapeared. No matter, I'm sure that she would find her way in easier than I would be able to. I just had to hope we'd meet up on the other side of these guards.

I was sweating, my mind was burning from holding the Illusion in place. Even just edging forward like this was taxing, and holding the spell was becoming more and more difficult. I was almost there...just needed to keep it up for a few more seconds...

I stumbled. Almost falling over, the Spell burst apart at the seems as my concentration faltered. I desperately tried to pull it back together, but the arcane energy that had been keeping it active fled my mind.

I was so close!

I looked at the guards, who had caught sight of me when the spell broke. I tried to put on a convincing smile.

"Um...hello again everyone. Fancy seeing you all again

Ready an action to either A) Run and jump into the river or B) Make a dash for the Mage's Tower if they make to grab, attack or otherwise harm me.

The determining factor will be whether their are any guards blocking my path to the tower

I also removed the Stealth Check from this post, since I made them in the OOC thread. That's why the red text down below is yelling at me

SamBurke
2011-11-10, 12:34 PM
"Oh, Analyn! Glad to see you again!" Alyera bursts with fake energy, hugging Analyn. "The captain said we aren't needed, so there was no need to come back. Let's go."

Trying to convince everyone through my acting that Analyn was being normal.

Will Bluff Work?
[roll0]

NOTE TO SELF:
Take ranks in bluff. A ton of them.

BelGareth
2011-11-10, 02:45 PM
You slowly move towards the guards, keeping your elaborate spell active and manipulating it as you see fit, it works almost too well. Until you trip on the rock, the spell disappears in a cascade of color and the guards who were mere feet away grab for their swords.
The Guard Sergeant's face turns instantly to fury, "WHAT DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? GUARDS ARREST HER!"

As you lurch your feet to move with haste away from them you hear a familiar voice. "Ahem" turning and looking at the same time as the sergeant, who was ready to arrest another individual for interrupting him, you see a somewhat welcome sight.

The Mage Okenstaff is standing mere feet away from you, floating on a disk to his right is the unconscious form of Ralph, blood is beading its way seemingly on thin air and leaking off the edge of the invisible disk.
"There will be no need for that sergeant, I will take these young women from your custody."

The sergeant looks visibly ruffled and nods "Very well Master Okenstaff, they are yours." He finishes by looking at both of you with a look of derision and his right eyebrow arched.

Looking towards the both of you "Alas I am not of the healing arts, do either of you know the way of healing?" he gestures to Ralph on the invisible floating disk.

BelGareth
2011-11-14, 01:35 AM
Looking at the both of you and understanding more in the few quiet looks between the two of you he nods only after a few seconds of the uneasy silence.
"Very well then, lets go catch up with the others then?"
Moving forward he lightly touches you both as he says the once familiar words to a spell. "clax ve de tenpiswo ekess mobi"

Please go back to the group thread.

BelGareth
2011-11-27, 12:26 AM
Analyn -
You step through the portal with Okenstaff to what seems like another world, the stone floor, if you could call it that, is warm to the touch, you can see the edges of the flagstones rippling as you step on them. Several flagstones give off droplets of stone, apparently liquid, that slowly work there way upwards to the sky as if the gravity was reversed. Motes of colorful light play through the air in a kaleidoscopic typhoon that threatens to overwhelm your senses. Tears in the fabric of space dot the area, you can see what seems to be a view of the elemental plane of fire, a group of Salamanders goad some fiery herd animals along a path. Another seems to look into a realm of shadow, umbral figures move past slow and fast.

Looking beyond all of this you can see the City, the whole city beneath the tower of the Magi. The whole top structure seemed to have been torn off, allowing you an unabated view of what lies below.

Okenstaff leads you to the center of the room, avoiding several areas that had miniature storms of what you could only imagine as pure energy.

Here he simply gestures to some images impressed upon the stone by some unseen force.

Looking you see 6 shadowy figures with the outline of humanoids, 4 male and 2 female in a circle on the floor. Almost as if their own shadows were fused to the stone upon their death.

Looking at what could only be ground zero of the accident you realize you are looking at what remains of the Circle of Mages. The six outlines accurately depict the six Mages.

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-28, 04:42 PM
"How...how did this happen? Things like this just doesn't happen! Did they forget the Magic Circle or something!" I cried out, gesturing wildly with my Staff.

This wasn't something that could just happen. Wizards... Mages... they didn't just die. They were paranoid, and had protections against every eventually, they were old, wiry and tough as old jerky. I couldn't imagine any of the Archmagi from the Wizards College I studied at dying, they'd lived too long. I just...

Just like my Dad

I ran my hand through my hair, and found that I was sweating proffusely. The same feeling of sickness that had overcome me when Oakenstaff had last teleported me had returned, and I was swaying from the effort of standing. Pushing the dizziness and nausea aside for a moment, I forced myself to slow my breathing done, and did my best to hold myself together. Breaking down at the top of this tower would help no one!

I picked up a piece of masonry from the ground and tossed it at one of the swirling fields of energy, waiting to see what would happen.

Makin' a Spellcraft Check [roll0] and a Knowledge: Arcana Check to see if I have a more detailed understanding of whats happening to the reamins of the Mage's Circle [roll1]

I also think I might splurge on a Sense Motive for Oakenstaff as well [roll2]

And I suppose I'll make a Perception check, since I'm rolling a bunch of Dice anyway [roll]1d20+2[roll]

EDIT: Yep, I know how to roll dice

BelGareth
2011-11-28, 11:59 PM
Okenstaff watches as you walk, when you grab a piece a try to throw it he suddenly screams "Nooo!" casting something with the speed of thought an invisible force holds the chunk of stone you tossed midair.

"Do you know nothing of magic? This is a Wild zone! Nothing works here as it should."

He sends the rock to the floor with a flick of the wrist. He seems to calm down some at seeing you angry face "I am sorry", he stops and kneels down "A wild zone is a terrible tear in the weave of this world, something went wrong, obviously, and it tore the very fabric of the weave." Looking up at you know he continues "This is a tragedy, and I have no idea of how to fix it...I have only heard of things like this in bards tales...."

You feel as if he is being truthful. You sense nothing amiss about him.

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-29, 09:25 AM
"Must have skipped that class" I mutter to myself, and pinch the bridge of my nose. It was starting to make sense now why Oakenstaff had made us the investigators; he didn't have a clue what to do himself, the Enigmatic Bastard.

I turned and looked at him, and was put in mind of a frightened puppy dog. He was probably the most powerful living being in a hundred miles or more, and all he could do was stand around, lost for what to do. Oh, how I hated him for it! It was almost he were still a novice, afraid of the Matron's wrath.

I sighed, and crossed my arms across my chest. I'd come here to look around, and there must be more to the Mage's Tower than this. Perhaps I could find something of interest amongst all this wild breaking down of reality.

C'mon, Oakenstaff, I still want to have a look around. The City is going to fall apart unless someone does something about it, and you haven't done much for that so far. I'm going to see if I can find anything that might fix this mess" With that, I turned my back to Oakenstaff and started sifting through the rubble for anything that could be useful; Wands, Staves, Scrolls, Artifacts, Tomes or Notebooks...anything!

If I don't find anything on this floor that catches m attention, I'll make my way down to the next story, unless Oakenstaff gets hella mad or somesuch.

BelGareth
2011-11-29, 12:35 PM
You look through some rubble and come upon and interesting armband, its slightly mangled from the epic arcane forces that were at hand here, but it still looks usable. Of amazing quality and workmanship, it has several garnets studded along its length, just one could pay for noble estate and cushion you for a life time.

As you look at it, Okenstaff looks out to the city, apparently having seen enough of this place, he looks back at you and sees the item in your hand.
"No...No it couldn't be....Thats Lord Baywren's Armband...But he...he was destroyed along with the rest of them. Nothing else of the others was left behind..."

Knowledge Local DC 15
Lord Baywren was one of the senior members of the Magi Circle

Okenstaff continues..."This...this doesn't make any sense..." he walks up to you and takes the item.

"We must go, I shall leave you with your companions, where ever they are"
His eyes go milky white for a moment and then he looks to you
"Are you ready to go?"

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-29, 10:07 PM
"Looks like you know less about what happened here than you thought" I replied, as he tore the Armband from my hand. Seeing that much excess being put into a simple Armband was astonishing. If it was simple Mundane jewelry...but it couldn't be, or else it would have been destroyed by this "Wild Zone" that Oakenstaff talked of.

Steeling myself, I started muttering the words of a simple enough spell; Detect Magic

With my eyes now showing me the magical energies and effects of the things around, I looked first upon the Armband and then swung my gaze around the room.

Now, Assuming that I don't go mad or get possessed by some Demonic Force because of this, I'll agree with Oakenstaff that its time to go meet up with the others.

If I do go mad I'll still do that, but roleplay Annalyn as completely Batsh*t Insane from now on :smallbiggrin:

BelGareth
2011-11-29, 10:13 PM
go ahead and roll percentile

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-30, 07:14 AM
[roll0]

Such a shame that Annalyn's story comes to an end now.

From now on I shall be roleplaying as GAROLYTH DESTROYER OF WORLDS!

Seeing as how Annalyn is about to go insane

TheArsenal
2011-11-30, 07:24 AM
Yay we can all be insano buddies from now on!

BelGareth
2011-11-30, 12:21 PM
Ooh, you get to roll again!
One more D%

OOC:

The Arsenal, get off our thread!

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-30, 06:14 PM
Why are you taunting me so? :smalleek:

[roll0]

Bracing for all the horrible things that might happen

BelGareth
2011-12-01, 01:38 PM
As you cast your simple cantrip you can feel something has gone terribly wrong, you spell activates but at a much weaker state (luckily for you) as everything around blazes in azure bluish flames designating the power of the magic around you (Extremely strong) you realize had your spell gone correctly you may have been blinded.

And then, centered on you, purplish pulses of energy emanate from you sucking the powerful magics to nowhere, you see a circle of completely dead magic around you.

Okenstaff back pedals until he is outside the circle "Whu...What did you do?"

Golden Ladybug
2011-12-02, 02:32 AM
I turned to the stricken Oakenstaff, and saw that he looked just as scared about what had just happened as I felt. Something had gone wrong, terribly, terribly wrong...

I had felt the magic around me...die! Powerful Magic, that by rights should have destroyed me, had just wasted away. Something about me, something had killed it.

"I have no idea"

Does this Dead Zone of magic stay centered on me if I move? Or is it stationary?

BelGareth
2011-12-02, 12:40 PM
The aura of dead magic suddenly flickers and then fades into nothingness, you sense as well as realize that casting any magic anywhere near this magic wild zone is extremely dangerous.

Okenstaff looks to you and then nods, "Let us go" he moves to you while casting a spell and touches your shoulder.

Go to main post.