PDA

View Full Version : NPCs training PCs for skill ups question

Sherris
2011-11-04, 03:38 PM
I was wondering if any rule sets existed for PCs training with NPCs and gaining skill ups. For example a character trains with an experienced rider for X hours pays X gold and gains 1 point in the ride skill. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thinking of implementing this in my campaign and was hoping I could draw from an already existing set of rules.

thanks!!!

--Sherris

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-04, 04:17 PM
If you're talking about getting a free skill point for doing training, I don't think there is such a thing.

The way it's supposed to work is that you need to do training if your DM doesn't like the idea of you putting points into a new skill out of nowhere, but you still spend them when you gain your skill points when you level up. Or if your DM doesn't care, just spend your skill points however you like.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-11-04, 04:31 PM
This is one of my favorite things about playing 0-level games. Right now I'm running a 0-level mage school game and playing in a E6 game that started in 0-level with a ToB focus. In this world there are lots of small schools that only teach 2 ToB disciplines. I'm trying to be the person that actually brings them together into a single art.

CactusAir
2011-11-04, 04:43 PM
Cityscape has the Favored and Contact feats. for two feats and rping soem buddy buddy with a NPC.... you can increase the cap on the skill ranks of one skill by 1.

Sherris
2011-11-06, 03:54 PM
If you're talking about getting a free skill point for doing training, I don't think there is such a thing.

The way it's supposed to work is that you need to do training if your DM doesn't like the idea of you putting points into a new skill out of nowhere, but you still spend them when you gain your skill points when you level up. Or if your DM doesn't care, just spend your skill points however you like.

ah okay that's how I thought it worked. I might homebrew something up for our campaign then. Thanks for the reply!!

Sherris
2011-11-06, 03:55 PM
This is one of my favorite things about playing 0-level games. Right now I'm running a 0-level mage school game and playing in a E6 game that started in 0-level with a ToB focus. In this world there are lots of small schools that only teach 2 ToB disciplines. I'm trying to be the person that actually brings them together into a single art.

I'm going to be honest with you. I did not understand most of that. (bit new to all this)

Coidzor
2011-11-06, 05:48 PM
Generally, depending upon the importance you put upon such things, there's two main options aside from bogging down the already overtaxed feat-system.

Come up with a framework for spending gold on it or come up with a framework for spending XP on it.

As long as you're not breaking the skill ranks cap there shouldn't be much of an issue, especially if the price is non-negligible.

Unfortunately I can't recall anyone sharing such a framework other than the individual who mentioned that his DM gave out bonus XP that was kept in a pool separate from the character's normal XP and could be used to buy an extra feat for something like 10K XP and an additional skill rank for 1K XP, though he didn't really mention what rate that bonus pool of XP increased at. He mentioned that he had accrued quite a large pool of it though.

hex0
2011-11-06, 10:03 PM
Cityscape has the Favored and Contact feats. for two feats and rping soem buddy buddy with a NPC.... you can increase the cap on the skill ranks of one skill by 1.

...You mean it is possible to enter some PRCs at level 5 instead of level 6 with these feats? :smallamused:

Diefje
2011-11-06, 11:00 PM
I played one where after we got enough XP, we had to pay our level x100gp for training and it took our level x weeks. And if we were trying to learn something new (class/skill/language/etc) we had to find a new trainer willing to train us. It gave us time to do other stuff in between as well as represent the "getting stronger". In the end we abandoned it because we had an uneven party and it was just getting wonky with time.

Can't find the source. >.<

Coidzor
2011-11-07, 06:16 AM
...You mean it is possible to enter some PRCs at level 5 instead of level 6 with these feats? :smallamused:

Fairly spendy though due to the feats. IIRC there's an early entry tricks handbook that'd discuss the ins and outs and foibles of using them though.

For some reason I'm recalling some way that one can have the feat and then lose the skill rank one has over the cap, as it doesn't permanently increase one's skill rank cap or something along those lines as a possible pit fall.