PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights: Diamond - Compatibility Issues

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-11-04, 06:03 PM
Feeling nostalgic for Neverwinter what with the release of the new Campaign Setting book and the upcoming MMO, I decided to pop in the game that started my love of this old city, Neverwinter Nights. Specifically, I have the Diamond Edition, which contains BioWare's classic, as well as its expansions, Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark and Kingmaker.

However, after installing them, I find that apparently the game will not work on my computer because it's not compatible with Windows Vista, which is what my computer runs on.

What should I do to get around this problem? Or am I just going to have to find an older computer to play it on?

Winter_Wolf
2011-11-04, 07:46 PM
What exactly kind of error are you getting when you try to run NWN?

I've played NWN Diamond on Vista for a long time with no trouble at all. Did you turn off Vista's UAC? I turned off UAC, use an administrator account, (possibly) choose "run as administrator" from the right-click menu and I've never even had a crash, running on patch 1.69. Dual core running Vista with SP whatever-it-is-now.

Anteros
2011-11-04, 07:49 PM
Try running it in compatibility mode for windows xp sp3.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-11-05, 01:46 AM
I installed the game, but when I hit play I'd get the initial screen and the game wouldn't start up due to these undisclosed "compatibility issues." I tried running it in XP configuration at my father's suggestion, but for some reason when I tried that it attempted to install the game when it was already on my computer.

I tried updating the game to see if that would help, but the updater refuses to download a patch, saying "Get the critical rebuild." What's that? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Starwulf
2011-11-05, 01:49 AM
I installed the game, but when I hit play I'd get the initial screen and the game wouldn't start up due to these undisclosed "compatibility issues." I tried running it in XP configuration at my father's suggestion, but for some reason when I tried that it attempted to install the game when it was already on my computer.

I tried updating the game to see if that would help, but the updater refuses to download a patch, saying "Get the critical rebuild." What's that? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Patch 1.69, you'll probably have to go biowares site for it(or somewhere else), the installer hasn't worked in forever for updating, have to do it manually.

Celesyne
2011-11-05, 01:52 AM
As far as patching goes this is the latest http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch/Neverwinter-Nights-Hordes-of-the-Underdark-English-169-Patch.shtml

thats the critical rebuild/full install, it will allow you to play without discs. If that doesnt help, turning off UAC and running in admin as has already been suggested is all I can think of. A google search may help, but I think the patch might fix your issues.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-11-05, 01:54 AM
What's UAC and how do you turn it off?

Celesyne
2011-11-05, 02:14 AM
User Account Control. Its that little pop-up warning that happens everytime you do anything in Vista. You can disable it in the account control area in the Control Panel.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-11-05, 03:20 PM
Well, the Critical Rebuild patch worked! The game's working smoothly now. Thanks for the help, everyone! :smallsmile:

Mando Knight
2011-11-05, 03:29 PM
User Account Control. Its that little pop-up warning that happens everytime you do anything in Vista. You can disable it in the account control area in the Control Panel.

I would highly recommend against disabling UAC. Yes, it's annoying when it pops up when you try to do anything that requires Admin privileges, but unless you're good with installing other anti-spyware systems, turning it off means that the programs can do whatever they want with your computer. Which, by the way, is a bad thing.

Starwulf
2011-11-05, 03:39 PM
Well, the Critical Rebuild patch worked! The game's working smoothly now. Thanks for the help, everyone! :smallsmile:

If you feel like hopping into multiplayer, let me recommend you join up with World of Caenyr ^^ Awesome persistent world with great people and even better DMs :)

PerXX
2011-11-08, 08:43 AM
If you feel like hopping into multiplayer, let me recommend you join up with World of Caenyr ^^ Awesome persistent world with great people and even better DMs :)

I would shamelessly suggest trying out Dragon Myrth, as mentioned here: :smallredface: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219425

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-11-08, 12:12 PM
I don't do multiplayer. :smallredface:

Yora
2012-07-21, 04:01 PM
Same game, different OS:

I installed NWN on Fedora 17 KDE and I have a lot of errors!

- First I have severe problems with textures. Character models seem to be okay, but level-textures are either very low-res and very grainy and blurry, or completely missing and just white. As far as I can tell, everything that was added by later patches also has no textures and the same goes for hakpack-content that uses new textures. This makes me believe it's a driver issue and not corrupted data.
The graphics card is a Radeon HD 6900 running with the standard x-drivers, but installing Catalyst always ended up destroying the system and requiring a new installation of Fedora and the one time I tried to restore a Clonezilla backup it messed up things so badly that it took half a day to get a clean new installation, so I'd like to make it work with x-drivers if possible.

- Second, I'd like to run this game as a Linux-Installation which I got to work just as well as under Wine (with the same graphic errors), but then I don't have any sound. When I look at audio-options, there are no audio-devices to chose from. It appears that Wine is able to detect the soundcard (Soundblaster Audigy) and provides the information to NWN, but a direct linux-installation does not.

I already searched a lot and apparently running the game on this OS should work on principle, so it should also be able to make it work on my computer.
Anyone having helpful suggestions?

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-07-22, 12:08 AM
No offense, Yora, but I think this thread's over two months old. You probably'd get answers faster just from making your own thread. :smallredface: