PDA

View Full Version : Signature rules question

Saposhiente
2011-11-05, 12:12 AM
Does the rule that the total height of images in your signature cannot exceed 120px include images in spoilers?

While I'm here, would there be any other problems with taking pictures of things people said and putting them in spoilers to use less non-bbcode characters? (Aside from filesize limits.)

Elder Tsofu
2011-11-05, 01:47 PM
{table="head"]Object| Rule
Maximum Total Width of Images| 470px
Maximum Total Height of Images| 120px
Maximum Height of Images in Spoiler| 300px
Maximum Total Height of Signature| 12 lines or equivalent (ie. 4 lines + 120px high image)
Maximum Avatar Size| 50kb
Maximum Total Image Size (Avatar and Sig)| 300kb
Animated Signatures| Not allowed
Animated Avatars| Not Allowed
[/table]

Just quoting the rules for your convenience. Emphasis mine.
The other, as long as it follows the rest of the rules for images, why not?

Savannah
2011-11-05, 06:36 PM
Okay, that rule has always bothered me. "Maximum Total Height of Images" is less than "Maximum Height of Images in Spoiler"! I suspect the former should be "maximum total height of images outside of spoiler", but I'm not sure.

That brings up the question, too, since the height of images in spoiler doesn't say "total", can you have several 300 pixel images stacked on top of each other in a spoiler?

Rawhide
2011-11-05, 09:41 PM
Spoilers are collapsed by default, therefore images inside the spoiler don't count toward the total height. A spoiler, as mentioned in the rules, counts for at least 2 lines, usually 3, regardless of the content within (if you format the spoiler with no space above it, it counts as 2, but most people leave the space in and thus the blank space counts as well).

There is a maximum of 4 images possible in your signature (the forum software will spit out a message if you try to include more), and the total file size of all images in your signature (including spoilers) and your avatar combined cannot exceed 300kb.

Siosilvar
2011-11-05, 10:39 PM
Spoilers are collapsed by default, therefore images inside the spoiler don't count toward the total height. A spoiler, as mentioned in the rules, counts for at least 2 lines, usually 3, regardless of the content within (if you format the spoiler with no space above it, it counts as 2, but most people leave the space in and thus the blank space counts as well).

There is a maximum of 4 images possible in your signature (the forum software will spit out a message if you try to include more), and the total file size of all images in your signature (including spoilers) and your avatar combined cannot exceed 300kb.

That wasn't quite the question asked.

However, your sig provides the perfect example. If we assume Rawhide's sig follows the rules (and I hope it does, him being an admin awesome and all), you can have any number of images (up to 4), so long as they don't take up more vertical space than 120px on a typical monitor. So if they're on the same line, they're okay.

Inside a spoiler, the images may be up to 300px tall each. Since it's collapsed by default, you can stack the images as you like (this comes from observing signatures of some members; they've got "stacked" images in spoilers, and their sigs haven't been changed).

So, no, the 120px total limit doesn't apply to spoilers, and is replaced by a 300px limit per image.

Rawhide
2011-11-05, 11:43 PM
That wasn't quite the question asked.

Yes, it was. It answered the question. As I said, regardless of what is in a spoiler it counts as 2 to 3 lines (depending on how the person lays out the spoiler - with or without the blank line above). Images in the spoiler thus do not count towards the total height. The size of images allowed in the spoiler is listed in the rules.

Venger
2011-11-10, 03:25 PM
I keep trying to add a sig and it's not showing up on my end. is there an additional step after putting in the stuff and clicking save? it's not too big, it's just a little banner and a few words.

Zherog
2011-11-10, 03:31 PM
Your sig shows in this post.

My guess is that you're viewing older posts -- posts you made prior to adding the sig? If so, the "problem" is that those posts were submitted to the database without the "show your signature" checkbox. If you want to see your sig in an old post, simply edit the post and check that box. Then it should appear.

Venger
2011-11-10, 03:33 PM
Your sig shows in this post.

My guess is that you're viewing older posts -- posts you made prior to adding the sig? If so, the "problem" is that those posts were submitted to the database without the "show your signature" checkbox. If you want to see your sig in an old post, simply edit the post and check that box. Then it should appear.

why so it does. I added my signature earlier this afternoon. that must have been what it was. thanks