PDA

View Full Version : Feats for Warlocks

Scorpions__
2011-11-05, 02:19 AM
What are good feats for Warlocks to take starting at level one?

DM[F]R

Godskook
2011-11-05, 02:26 AM
What kind of Warlock?

A good general feat is improved initiative, but I can probably get a better one if I knew more about the build than "warlock". See, the class is more like a wizard or fighter, and less like a druid or dragonfire adept. In the former case, there's too many different ways to go, which makes it impossible to just say 'wizard', and know what good feats are. While in the latter case, the class offers far less variation, making it rather easy to say feats like Natural Spell and Entangling Exhalation should be picked up.

CactusAir
2011-11-05, 02:30 AM
That depends entirely on what you want the warlock to do.

Little Brother
2011-11-05, 04:40 AM
Eldritch Claws are good, though they do have some prereqs, IIRC, and are Dragon. Combine with Martial Monk for deliciousness.

Tenebris
2011-11-05, 04:45 AM
My choice would be:

Ability focus (Eldritch blast) - a must.
Battle caster - maybe, that is if I'm not going to be an Eldritch Theurge.
Improved Initiative - as mentioned before, never a bad choice.
Whatever I'd need in the feature - thing like meeting PRC's prerequisites; for example Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest) for Hellfire Warlock :smallbiggrin:

nedz
2011-11-05, 07:09 AM
Ability focus (Eldritch blast) is good - but only if you are building a debuffing Warlock. If you don't plan to take debuffing essences then avoid this.

You might want to consider PBS for Precise Shot, but hey, your chaotic. This is an expensive feat tax and is of no interest to GlaiveLocks (or other melle builds).

Fey Heratage if you are aiming for Fey Presence and Fey Legacy
(Or the Fiendish versions)
These give a little flexibility, which is useful for Warlocks, but consume a lot of feats you could be spending later on Extra Invokation. There are better options than these feat trees.

You will probably want to spend every feat from level 6 onwards on things like Extra Invokation, Quicken SLA EB (12th), etc. So you only have your 1st and 3rd level feats available for mundane options.

Krazzman
2011-11-05, 07:34 AM
I'll just leave this (http://www.freewebs.com/dmprince/Warlock.pdf) here...

Runestar
2011-11-05, 08:51 AM
Mortalbane (bovd) can be quite powerful at low levels, though it rapidly loses its effectiveness as the warlock progresses.

GoatBoy
2011-11-05, 09:05 AM
I'm not sure what the definition of "innate" is, but if it applies, then Supernatural Transformation from Savage Species will let you ignore spell resistance for your eldritch blast by making it supernatural.

A Ladder
2011-11-05, 12:17 PM
Mortalbane (bovd) can be quite powerful at low levels, though it rapidly loses its effectiveness as the warlock progresses.

seconded. on good rolls you can one-shot a lot of low level baddies. But i would only pick this for a low level campaign (ending around 12th level)

I'm not sure what the definition of "innate" is, but if it applies, then Supernatural Transformation from Savage Species will let you ignore spell resistance for your eldritch blast by making it supernatural.

I would go for this if your campaign will be getting into the higher levels for the most part (past 10th level)

Zagaroth
2011-11-06, 08:20 AM
eh, Vitrolic Blast lets you ignore SR, which is the only real advantage of making it supernatural I believe. Might not be worth the feat slot. I'd rather take Quicken SLA (Eldritch Blast) so that I cna get an extra blast 3/day against a boss

HunterOfJello
2011-11-06, 08:32 AM

Eldritch Blast wouldn't qualify as an innate ability. Innate Abilities are those that a character is born with.

An innate spell-like ability would be a Gnome's 1/day Speak with Animals. The feat would allow you to turn that into a Supernatural Ability. It wouldn't allow you to turn an ability obtained from a class to a Su ability.