PDA

View Full Version : Epic Character Moments

tehhoods
2011-11-05, 04:04 AM
What are some epic moments your characters have gone through? These are the moments that make you cherish your character, the ones that make them immortal in your eyes. Or at least memorable. The moments when the world is against them and all seems lost, when they manage to pull something so great that they change the world. It could be something like a 1st level sorcerer killing a dragon with their bare hands or a runner taking on the headquarters of a AAA Megacorp and walking away from the wreckage as it burns down.

Jay R
2011-11-06, 01:03 PM
The game was Flashing Blades - swashbuckling in the 17th century France of Richelieu and the Musketeers. Five adventurers, with no superpowers or magic, against an army.

In our previous adventure, we had uncovered the bills of lading for food for a Spanish army intending to invade France next spring, coming up through Lorraine. So we were given the task of harrying the army next spring, using the bills of lading as a tool. (We are providing their food.)

The bills of lading implied an army of roughly 2,000 soldiers and camp followers and 500 horses, led by the General Don Miguel ______, whose last name is a moot point, as shown below. All winter, we had horses staked out to attract two wolf packs to the forest between Luneville and Drouville. We wanted numerous wolves used to feeding on horseflesh to greet the Spanish army.

The first food delivery was at St. Die. We arranged that the food would arrive two days early, to allow spoilage. Then there was a heavy rain that delayed the troops. The wine was (very mildly) spiked with bad water. There were 20 pistoles baked into the bread. We spread a rumor that the rich soldiers have been throwing coins to the peasants. Vivienne (actress) and Jean-Louis (thief with juggling skills) began to join the army as camp followers, Vivienne concentrating her attentions on the officers. Jean-Louis started to become a common face, performing, spreading rumors, asking questions. "What's this I hear about a missing paywagon?"

The next day was Baccarat. 20 more pistoles and 2 Louis d'Or were baked in the bread. (We wanted all the soldiers to start picking through their bread with dirty hands.) The wine was slghtly more spiked - dysenetry gets started. Deliveries of the food arrived mid-morning the next day, further delaying the troops. As Vivienne had two officers fighting a duel over her, we spread rumors about the paywagon, and bad blood between officers. (Jean-Louis gathered a crowd of soldiers at the dueling field, by putting on a juggling show where the two officers had intended to go fight alone.) We started a fire in town after the troops left. Some cavalry units left early, and so were not fed.

Near the town of Luneville, we burned a bridge and planted stakes under water. The cavalry units tried to cross first, and one horse was lamed. So they waited for the rest of the army to arrive to rebuild the bridge. More unrest, more rumors, more bad food. We incited some guttersnipes to throw rocks across the river at them.

The bridge was finished mid-morning the next day, so late the next night, a bedraggled, tired, dispirited army arrived at Drouville. The army was forced to detour through the wolf forest by a road block. Yup - they brought 500 horses near a bunch of wolves that we'd stopped feeding horses to three days earlier.) We spread rumors in town that the army had been torching villages behind them. The food was strongly poisoned, and the rye bread was tainted. The army was not going to be in shape to deal with the situation.

Vivienne lured Don Miguel (the general) to her room at an inn, and murdered him in his sleep. We spread poisoned oats out in the woods. Then we torched the town, stampeding the horses. We started several fires on the upwind side of town. While cutting horses loose, Jean-Louis was spotted by a Spanish sentry. He yelled, "Release the horses — don't let them burn!", successfully convincing the sentry to help him release all the Spanish horses into the wolf forest. The Spanish lost supplies, horses, and lots of time trying to round up the horses that survived the night. Note that spooked horses aren't too bright, and that they were downwind of the flames. Many horses were lost (or eaten). Jean-Louis slipped into the General's headquarters. He fought and killed two sentries, leaving them in a pose indicating that they had slain each other. He then made off with the general's orders, dispatches, and 70 escudo (4200 L.).

In nearby towns the next day we spread rumors that the army was berserk, looting and burning. We spread rumors in the army that the general was seen running off with a courtesan. Henri went north and bought their next shipment of food (with their money), which we dumped in the river. After spreading a few more rumors in Nancy, the capital of Lorraine, we returned to Paris, where we delivered the orders and dispatches to Richelieu.

The army split up, some becoming bandits until captured by the Duke of Lorraine; some continuing on, ravaging the countryside as they went. But the invasion, as invasion, never happened.

Keinnicht
2011-11-06, 01:31 PM
I was playing an epic-level Frenzied Berserker/War Hulk (I know, I know, I am ashamed.)

A very epic level frenzied berserker. Basically, I managed to kill the BBEG, but unfortunately my method (sundering the floating platform both of us were on, the rest of the party had died, I was in negative hit points too, I was only alive because I was frenzying) led to me falling about 2 miles.

The DM then, without bothering to roll, said "you take 4000 damage when you hit the ground."

Fortunately, due to deathless frenzy and having about two rounds left on it when I hit the ground, I had time to strike a badass pose before I died.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-06, 07:55 PM
When you have +25 to bluff at level 5, ever moment is epic!:smallwink:

Silus
2011-11-06, 09:23 PM
Causing a garrison of Goblinoids to turn in on and destroy itself when I suggest they unionize to get better benefits from their "Overlord".

Did it as a lvl 3 (?) Bard.

Kazyan
2011-11-06, 10:24 PM
In DnD 4.0, blowing up Cthulhu through the use of a magic amulet and its five copies that got waaaay out of hand.

At level 6.

legomaster00156
2011-11-06, 10:38 PM
Everyone! Details! Details! :smallbiggrin:

The Reverend
2011-11-07, 12:08 AM
Dar- Dwarven Slayer warhammer fantasy role-playing system
He just wanted to die fighting something awful , to collect his Doom to repay his shamed clan( I never explained what it was to my fellow players, no matter how well the minstril plyed his trade). We had just opened up a wizards treasure horde on a large ledge about 40 feet up a cliff face(its warhammer you fall 40 feet its almost like falling that far in real life). We're thumbing thru the treasure when the human wizard accidentally opens a bottle containing a demon, he knows it will take a moment to complete the summons and thinks fast enough to throw it off the cliff and explain.

Upon hearing that an angry demon is about to fly up to them and try to kill them Dar runs to the cliff edge, gauges the distance, and jumps. I rolled as well as I could have possibly have rolled all the way around. Dar's great magic stone axe cleaved the demon straight in twain and his wings slowed Dara fall. One swing kill.

Btw Jay R that was fantastic planning, good job.

Cisturn
2011-11-07, 12:57 AM
I was playing a Radiant Servant of Pelor in a 3.5 game. We had to summon this horrible baddie, some demonic incarnation of gluttony and insatiable hunger, he looked like a giant sexless human covered in mouths and teeth. His (main) maw was a portal to a horrible plane filled only with waste and destruction, and unfortunately for us, a bit of key information to stop the BBEG. We had to somehow get swallowed by this monstrosity, without being crushed to pieces or torn apart by his teeth. Most of the party hid in a portable hole, while my character chained himself to it. Right before the demon swallowed him whole, my guy smiled, lit up a cigarette, and half sung "it's only a paper moon"

I'm still playing this guy.

Medic!
2011-11-07, 02:31 AM
I had a half-orc fighter somewhere around level 4-6 in a holy campaign who pretty much behaved like your stereotypical paladin. He had a MAJOR habit of running off into danger without stopping to rest, and the party, more often than not, decided to follow him. Oddly, the only times his life was ever endangered it was by his party!

On his last such venture he left town over a disagreement with the party. They wanted to do the smart thing and rest up to regain their strength, while Grogg wanted to go slay the vile evil nasty vampires inhabitting a local mausoleum. The party (wisely) chose NOT to chase after him this time. After smashing a few skeletal guards and a nasty large sized skeletal guard-dog, he made it into the lower crypt and ended up in a grapple with one of the vampires unliving there. With about 2 points of constitution score left, he hoisted his wooden stake, muttered a prayer to Heironeus, and shat out a natural 20 on his attack roll.

Then the master vampire found him over the dead minion-vamp. The party later found our noble hero in his brand new coffin and put an end to him. RIP slobbering holy orc.

TheVileVillain
2011-11-07, 01:53 PM
We're playing in a 3.5 Renaissance Campaign setting. There's no magic (but still elements of fantasy) and no resurrection, so our GM has ruled that Death Attack reduces the victim to -1HP unless they fail their fort save by 5 or more. I'm playing a house assassin for the most powerful noble house in the city.
One of the other players, who was an elf, a foreigner to the city, and worshiping gods not native to the region, had engaged in a dalliance with the eldest son of my house. After continuously harrowing their attempts to spend time together (one time I climbed onto the roof of our tavern and fired a gun off to summon the city guard) she hired out a lesser noble house of renowned assassins to come after me. Warned by the local information spider I holed out in a manor provided by my noble house.
In the middle of the night I wake up to a sound I know well, the sound of a throat being slit. One of my guards has just killed the other. I make a bluff check to feign that I am still sleeping, succeed on a sleight of hand check to draw my dagger from under the pillow, and begin studying the other assassin. It is then that my character realizes that his opponent started studying him at the same moment.
So we both make death attacks and we both fail our fort saves. The difference? He failed by 5 and I failed by 1. Later, fading in and out of consciousness I tell a the house medic that is attending me that I am dead. I wake up to my assassin trainer who informs me that for the next three days I am dead.
The other players get a letter from my house saying that I am dead just as I begin rolling stats for a new character, they believe it. I disguise myself and wait in an alleyway for the employer of my would-be-assassin only to discover that she is being shepherded to safety by another player character named Lillith (she was infected by lycanthropy, the leader of a street gang, and bitter about my attempt to turn her in to the city guard). I assassinate the elf and escape. I then send a letter to the rest of the party marked with my personal seal instructing them not to trust Lillith. The bard/tavern keep asks Lillith to step outside to have a word. Myself and the Artificer gun her down in the street on the suprise round.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-07, 01:54 PM
Everyone! Details! Details! :smallbiggrin:

What more details do you need? I convinced someone that elves do need to sleep with my +25 bluff.:smallwink:

Krazzman
2011-11-07, 02:14 PM
As a Evocation Wizard (yes I know it now...)

Blasting everything that could walk. To the first bbeg I said: "I don't care if i can't see you in this darkness: feel some burning pain!" and burning handed him down. The second BBEG was grappled into one of thise fountains of I forget everything by nearly the team (I helped after dispatching some skeletons with a fireball) except for me and the ranger.

The we made a daring prison escape plan for the druid that casted a healing spell on his pony after riding him to the next city...where magic was forbidden by law...and later I tried to intimidate the avatar of Talos to not kill the last, nerly crispy burnt orc cause we needed him for interrogation.
The most epic moment was when I intimidated an avatar of talos to not kill the last nearly crispy burnt orc, we needed for interrogation. Sadly the campaign ended there with my patron deity changing from mystra to talos. :(

JohnnyCancer
2011-11-07, 05:42 PM
I recently completed a campaign spanning seven months that could probably be described as a Mesopotamian flavored Dynasty Warriors. The party rode out at the head of an army of traditional enemies banded together to stop the Duke of Tears (a pumped-up Astradaemon) and the Host of Unmaking. The Duke flays the souls from the PCs and gobbles them up after a tremendous battle. Thanks to some outside interference the destroyed PCs get one last chance to battle the Duke within its own spirit, but must first confront their failures, sins, and their own dark sides before earning the opportunity to fight the Duke one last time.

This time around they're victorious, but are still dead and without souls. Their strange psuedo-existant state gives them the opportunity to take the Duke's spirit for themselves and come back to life, corrupted by its evil. Instead they opted to sift through the mess of the ex-daedmon's power to reclaim their own souls and pass into true death. The campaign ended with the grim reaper ferrying them to the lands of the dead to adventure in a new world.

Thyrian
2011-11-07, 07:36 PM
Dwarf Barbarian non-optimized at level 2 with a horrifying slew of natural 20's, raging and action points burst through an iron portcullis taking 5 crossbow bolts in doing so to reach the halflings with cross bows on the other-side.

What proceeded was 2 rounds as the party watched in horror as the dwarf proceeded through the portcullis maintained momentum and crushed two of the halflings to death against the wall with his body and his Dwarven War-Axe. Cut down another two as they tried to flee past him and threw his Dwarven War-Axe down the corridor at the final Half-ling nailing him in the back of the head.

Das Platyvark
2011-11-07, 08:36 PM
In a rather ridiculously silly nWoD one shot I ran recently, the pcs managed to call in the equivalent of Yog-Sothoth, almost kill it, go mad, and bring about the end of the universe.

Dust
2011-11-07, 08:41 PM
I always like posting this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204975). Epic, enormously awkward, and frighteningly memorable.

Draconi Redfir
2011-11-07, 08:44 PM
50 year old Bugbear cleric, one of the other characters is impaled on a spike and needs healing.

Horrible heal check, the cleric winds up pushing the other character further onto the spike and killing him, he never used heal checks again. I have never been able to live this down.

Winds
2011-11-07, 10:28 PM
Two similar moments:

One: as a team of three level ones, or maybe level twos, we took on a hellhound each. Thanks to their fire breath, everyone was dying.

My sorcerer's familiar, however, was alive.

Weasel vs. hellhound. The weasel climbed up on it's neck and pug in. It isn't everyday a weasel kills a hellhound and coups an unconscious one to death.

The cleric wakes up an hour later to see the weasel staring at him. As the DM said, you don't need to understand the familiar to know who she wants up first.

It happened again later with a feral giant. It was in a large room, sorc was the last man standing. He threw the familiar at the giant's neck, made it, ran. What followed was several rounds of it groping down the hallway while the sorc filled its hand with crossbow bolts. Each round, the INT check for the giant said it couldn't tell that the neck bleeding was important. Giant dies, but its hand is blocking the door.

So, the DM makes his encounter checks. End result: the cleric managed to get the warforged fighter moving, and he manages to get the giant's arm out of the doorway. Remember that the sorc has been stuck there for 24 hours watching the door.

IC dialouge:

Fighter: Oh, hey. You look like crap, didn't you sleep at all?

Sorc: *twitch* NOOO!

Between that and the familiar gaining speak with master, that sorc went a bit crazy. It didn't help that the DM based the weasel's personality of a a character from My Little Pony.

TurtleKing
2011-11-08, 01:50 AM
All I am going to say is Thigardo Prinny Diety of Legend. His many exploits were epic…when not Captain of the Failboat. If you want details look at my early posts or ask Silus.

Lvl45DM!
2011-11-08, 02:50 AM
My paladin and party walked into a small town where all the plants were dying and turning to swamp tentacle monsters. We found the cause was a magical stone leaking black oil that was an artifact of Cthulu being presided over by a high priestess. The fight turned against us due to some bad rolls and the priestess managed to a) summon an avatar of Cthulu and b) wrap the stone in a sphere of force which quickly filled with black oil.
My paladin dove sword first into the wall, his Holy Avenger granted magic resistance allowing him to cut through but not bring it down. Blind, dying and being mutated he managed to hit the stone and break the altar it was on. Then he staggered out of the sphere and fought the fading avatar with his sword clenched in a brand new tentacle saving the mage and the thief. After the avatar faded its link to this world and physical form both broken by my paladin. But he kept turning into a Dark Young so he held onto his holy sword which started doing damage and killing him as he turned . He ended up burning to death in holy fire rather than becoming a monster.
The best part is no-one liked him cos he was an arrogant sonofabitch who listed every accomplishment when he introduced himself and kinda gay worshiping a goddess of beauty rather than a god or goddess of valour or war or something. They all mocked me cos the Holy Sword contained the soul of his mother. Sure changed their tune! Afterward the bard immortalized me in song and the town built me a statue. Awesome. I loved that paladin

I always like posting this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204975). Epic, enormously awkward, and frighteningly memorable.

That was an epic tale. The goblin should have leveled way more though

Greymane
2011-11-08, 05:51 AM
I was the DM, not the player that did the amazing stunt, but I figured I would tell it on his behalf.

The player was playing a Druid and was realizing just how amazing this class is. Between turning into bears, and summoning bears, and sending his pet Rhino (he broke the trend :smallfrown: ) at people, he was thuroughly enjoying the immense amount of power he had. Given the party was made up of other Tier 1s and 2s, this wasn't a problem.

Well, this was Red Hand of Doom, and they were preparing the defenses in Brindol for the coming Horde. His allies were preparing traps, memorizing spells, and showing militia that holding the pointy end of swords was bad for your hands. The druid, though? Nah, he was sitting in Hawk form on the wall, waiting for the Horde. When he saw the army approaching, he cast Control Weather with his Staff of Stormclouds he picked up from Ulwai, saying he was gonna make it storm and make it suck for them to advance. Okay, par for the course. But then, I did not expect his next move at all. I underestimated him. He cast Control Winds and proceeded to create a hurricane which wrecked the Red Hand Horde by itself.

He then devoured the EXP from such a feat and retired to the Ghostlord's Lair, to fix the land around it.

Alleran
2011-11-08, 08:21 AM
SAGA campaign, Dark Times/Rebellion era. I was playing a former Padawan learner who had gone into hiding until now (about 2-3 BBY). Party consisted of one other trained Force sensitive (a Baran Do Sage) and an untrained one (had the feat, no training in Use the Force), plus a scout (Anzati) and two soldiers (one Wookiee, one Gen'Dai... so yeah, they had the Big Guy part of the group covered in spades). At the time we were hopping around, doing minor jobs for Kota's militia and the burgeoning Rebellion while we were generally a minor thorn in the side of the Empire. Not really even one they'd actually notice, until we accidentally blew up a Star Destroyer.

(It wasn't our fault [use a Han Solo voice for that]. We jumped an Imperial supply train expecting it to be lightly guarded, and found a Star Destroyer escorting it. It gave chase, we fled into an asteroid field. We passed the pilot checks to escape. It didn't, and was chewed up by rocks when it got too deep in and couldn't get out. Stupid commander, in essence, but all the Empire cared was that we had allegedly destroyed one of their ISDs.)

This put the Empire on our tail, and the greater attention led to my character being outed as a Jedi Padawan. Up until then, he had successfully kept his identity a secret from the rest of the group. Only using the Force when absolutely necessary, avoiding cameras, picking powers that didn't necessarily have obvious effects like Battle Strike and Mind Trick. He didn't even use a lightsaber (instead, the DM allowed me a sword with the Sith Alchemical Weapon template, making it usable for Block/Deflect rolls). So other than him being particularly good in melee and good at avoiding damage (rather than deflect blaster fire, he either used a shield or took cover like the rest of the group), nobody was any the wiser. I think the Baran Do Sage suspected, though. I had a higher Use The Force roll than he did, so he couldn't find me with the Sense Force part of the UtF skill.

Unfortunately, being outed as a Jedi also meant that the Imperials were on to us. A few missions later, we were assaulting an Imperial supply base. Again, we thought it was lightly guarded. It was. Technically. Mid-mission, an Imperial task force under the command of Darth Vader jumped in-system, including several Star Destroyers and an Interdictor Cruiser. Vader wanted the Jedi, and he was going to get me. We were boned.

So Vader comes down, and leads the chase with the 501st, while our group (the Gen'Dai was the highest level at 11th - I was one of the lower-level characters at 9th, though the Force helped make up the difference) fled towards our "liberated" consular cruiser (which we had never gotten around to repainting from the Republic/Jedi Order paintjob owing to lack of money), hoping to escape. Small chance, but a chance we had. We started trying to puzzle out why Vader was so interested in us, or so sure that I was a Jedi (while running - talking is a free action!).

Finally, we were cornered. The scout failed three checks in a row (he was a terrible scout - I think he wanted to become a sniper in terms of class, so Elite Trooper) and led us into a box canyon with no exits. Vader followed. Cornered, I volunteered to stay behind and hold him off. Small chance of actually doing anything of significance, but it would let the others escape (climb up through clefts and so on on the irregular cliff and get out of the dead-end while Vader fought me). All I had to do was hold him off. The party agrees.

Vader arrives with the 501st, and tells them to stand back, because "the boy is mine" (I'm starting to wonder if he has some sort of grudge against me at this point). We do the circling thing, and Vader offers to let me join him, and work for the Emperor as an Inquisitor. I reply:

"It is better to serve in heaven than rule in hell."

I attack straight-up. No holds barred, I was going to do my utmost to hurt Vader, slow him down, and let my friends escape. And I didn't last three rounds. Yeah, he butchered me. While I'm lying there wishing for an extra arm and a leg (literally), he stands over me and says only "pitiful" and that I was the one who led him to the group.

Apparently, Vader (as Anakin Skywalker) remembered my character's name and face from when he was a youngling in the Temple. That's how he knew I was the real deal and not just a pretender or untrained whelp (DM told me afterward). So I do the only thing a reasonable PC would do in that situation. I agree to join him if he will help me survive. And then I stab him in the gut with my sword (destiny point), grapple him to hold him in place for a round (my second destiny point), and then set off a thermal detonator in his face (my last destiny point).

Sadly, I didn't take Vader with me. I still miss that character. The rest of the group escaped (I'm not sure how exactly, only that it involves fancy flying, two hijacked TIE fighters and thermal detonators fired from torpedo tubes) and I rejoined a few weeks later with a new character.

Spider_Jerusalem
2011-11-08, 01:15 PM
I DM a campaign for about three years, and of course there were many moments of character epicness. The crowning-est moment of awesome epicness, though, was starred by an NPC.

The party consisted of a lizardfolk was an ex-frenzied berserker who was slowly retraining in order to become a gish (yes, it actually ended up working just fine), a human cleric of Thor, a greedy rogue (his character was absent in the scene), a human knight and two NPCs: one was the knight's squire, the other was an officer of the opposing army, with whom the group made a truce while they were inside a cave infested with recently-awakened Chuuls.

The group managed to track down the source of the Chuuls. An advanced CR 11 Chuul was awakening and uniting ancient Chuuls in the swamp, and killing it would stop them from becoming a threat to the nearby cities (and to the lizardman's tribe, which was in the same swamp). After a few rounds of combat, the knight was paralyzed, the cleric was in negative hit points and the lizardman was pinned by the monster. The opposing officer was scared enough not to risk anything, and the party was pretty much screwed. On the other hand, there was the squire, a level 1 warrior loyal enough to his master. As the knight was being eaten alive, the squire dashes in the Chuul's direction and attempts to climb it to save the knight. There was no AoO since the Chuul was grappling, so I decided to give him a try at an absurd grapple check against a huge monster - it would be impossible, but that would be the reasonable response from the NPC, anyway. The squire gets a 20. The monster, 1. "Hm... well, ok. He climbs the creature's arm and gets close to Sir Cedric (the knight), then", I say, "and he tries to stab the monster to set the knight free". Attack is rolled. Natural 20, confirmed by another 20. That was enough for me to assume the creature was stabbed in the eye, and the pain was enough for the Chuul to let both the knight and the lizardman free. They ended up killing the Chuul because of this.

The squire, the party's living example of courage and loyalty, lives to this day.

The player was playing a Druid and was realizing just how amazing this class is. Between turning into bears, and summoning bears, and sending his pet Rhino (he broke the trend :smallfrown: )

You just reminded me of the new characters two of my players created when they had to leave their previous ones. One was a dwarf druid who had a pet bear, called tons of bears and then turned himself into a bear. The other was a dwarf barbarian... who PrCd to goddamn bear warrior.

legomaster00156
2011-11-08, 03:03 PM
The group managed to track down the source of the Chuuls. An advanced CR 11 Chuul was awakening and uniting ancient Chuuls in the swamp, and killing it would stop them from becoming a threat to the nearby cities (and to the lizardman's tribe, which was in the same swamp). After a few rounds of combat, the knight was paralyzed, the cleric was in negative hit points and the lizardman was pinned by the monster. The opposing officer was scared enough not to risk anything, and the party was pretty much screwed. On the other hand, there was the squire, a level 1 warrior loyal enough to his master. As the knight was being eaten alive, the squire dashes in the Chuul's direction and attempts to climb it to save the knight. There was no AoO since the Chuul was grappling, so I decided to give him a try at an absurd grapple check against a huge monster - it would be impossible, but that would be the reasonable response from the NPC, anyway. The squire gets a 20. The monster, 1. "Hm... well, ok. He climbs the creature's arm and gets close to Sir Cedric (the knight), then", I say, "and he tries to stab the monster to set the knight free". Attack is rolled. Natural 20, confirmed by another 20. That was enough for me to assume the creature was stabbed in the eye, and the pain was enough for the Chuul to let both the knight and the lizardman free. They ended up killing the Chuul because of this.

The squire, the party's living example of courage and loyalty, lives to this day.

How is this not enough to get knighted himself? :smallconfused: Or at the very least, he should've been given a level-up to Warrior 1/Fighter 1.

Spider_Jerusalem
2011-11-08, 03:57 PM
Oh, he has been levelled up. And even though he was not knighted himself, he got something usually no NPC gets: respect from the players. Maybe he should start going to the Luckstealer path or something, though, haha

tehhoods
2011-11-08, 09:29 PM
By the gods these are awesome moments, each one different but epic none the less. Makes me glad I started this thread.

TurtleKing
2011-11-08, 10:09 PM
I guess I'll say Thigardo Prinny Diety of Legend many epic moments.

Along with a Gnoll and 5 Ogres defeated a Purple Worm…at level 3!
Another is oh setting up a meeting of several dieties and negotiating a cease fire and cooperation at level 5. That resulted in us becoming dieties as well.
Steal a Sandbox campaign taking it for a joy ride.
Raise a layer of the Abyss to Celestia.
Start a war that ends in a stalemate with a Greater Diety (Rank 19ish) whilemonly being a Rank 3 Demigod!

Another character that had some epic moments is Lockheed. A Baby Black Dragon Duskblade in a pirate campaign. One battle our ship was decimated. Most of the crew went and took on a Pinnacle a level 5 Encounter. The other ship was a Cog a level 6 Encounter. After going about hitting two and killing one with breath weapon on the Pinnacle plus trying to save everyone went to the Cog…alone. That is right Lockheed in storming weather solo'd the Cog for about half a minute keeping all eyes on him. Later on pulled a heavy canoe with a heavy sack of blacksmith tools and flailing mule through the choppy waters to rescue another crewmate to just before the black powder blown up. Another instance is the DM basically said that an Assassin as studied for 3 rounds and is ready to strike. Out of the 5 party members the others wouldn't not have survive. Knowing this I volunteered Lockheed to take the hit. Sounds foolish right? Well considering having not been struck in combat and 19 CON still may not sound like could survive this right? Well how about also having a Gem of Light Fortification. All in all lost 30 hp mostly due to the critical hit that the Gem didn't protect from as well poison.

Dust
2011-11-09, 01:24 AM
Steal a Sandbox campaign taking it for a joy ride.
I'd like to hear the story behind this one. :smallsmile: In detail!

Strormer
2011-11-09, 02:16 AM
My favorite:
I'm playing an CG Elf Rogue who had taken levels of Assassin without being evil thanks to some clever RPing. The DM had warned me that Death Blow wouldn't effect bosses by virtue of that really sucking. I agreed, but also told him that if the situation arose where my character would try it, he'd try it, knowing that it would fail ooc.
So, the party had made it all the way to where the boss was and three of our players were not there the night we were going to face off. The Druid, the Archer, and me all decided, what the hell, let's go for it, and told the DM to not pull his punches.
The boss was a Red Dragon (I forget how old). The Druid and Archer went straight into combat after we pissed it off my not being able to pronounce its name (thaks WotC for those crazy dragon names in your printed monsters!) while I, being an assassin and a smart ass, tried to stall. I bluffed repeatedly that I wasn't fighting such a "noble creature" and spent my rounds studying the thing. When the time was right, I used Death Attack, failing as the DM had promised.
Now in combat I tried repeatedly to fight the dragon, but he kept jumping across the cave onto ledges, which took me a double move to cross and get close to him, so he'd jump away before I could strike.
In frustration I told the DM that I was going to secure my rope to my spear and have it out when I attacked. The Druid gave me spider climb before abandoning me to aid his now in the negatives archer (played by his irl girlfriend :S) and I ran across the cave to him.
The dragon laughed at my nonmagical spear and took the turn to smack me before he took off. I turned and lunged off the cliff Leonidas style and speared the dragon in the wing, then proceeded to hang onto the rope for dear life while it flew around, furious.
I climbed up the damned rope and started stabbing the hell outta the thing while the druid summoned some distracting things.
We managed to drop the stupid dragon and I mispronounced its name again, just as it died, to add insult to death.
Shortly thereafter we all shared a great story about how the party beat a dragon without its healer, fighter, or mage. ^_^
Incidentally, I'm really glad my spear stuck because if I'd hit the ground after my flying leap the fall damage would've put me past dead.

Krazzman
2011-11-09, 02:55 AM
Playing a one-shot starting at level 1.

NG Sorceror, later Sorc 2 Fighter 1.
Somewhere mid-session:
I was in a castle and tried to get back into the cell district (the fighter and me interrogated someone there) to bust the fighter out. We make a daring escape from a dragon in Cleric form. And finally got to the next city where THe fighter signed us both up for the tournament.

After buffing myself with Stonefist I neatly hacked through and became vize. While he became winner in the archery section.
We started to celebrate as we wander along at a temple of mystra and seeing that something is off.

We ask whats wrong and get to know that a barrier closed the way to a magical artifact that did something. (I think it was a holy book or something...) So every non-believer was redirected out of another door. But my character believing while not being a cleric went in. After some riddles (he wasn't the brightest bulb int he basket...) 12 Hours had passed, the fighter got drunk right infront of the portal. I finally made it back, with the portal dismissed and some pretty nice weapon.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-09, 03:49 AM
We exit through the portal back home and find ourselves back ontop of the tower, with a beholder hovering in front of it. Now fighting a beholder in an open area where it can fly and manuveer freely. OUCHES.

So my fighter runs, leaps and grapples onto the beholder. Now he's floating in the air with lizardman fighter in fullplate grabbing on to him. Needless to say he's not floating any longer.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-09, 06:57 AM
Oooh, these are always fun, can't say I have nearly as many as some of the good ones not having been in many high level games, but here goes...

Spoilered for length

"Thinking with Portals"

So, the was my first optimized high level game and I was enjoying playing my first ever wizard. We were on a neogi lifejammer we commandeered earlier and had just retrieved an epic artifact (read: stolen) from the god of time (who may or may not have been my character, it was never confirmed, the campaign falling apart when summer break happened) and are currently under assault by legions of elder titans, phanes and chronotryns.

So, I look over my list and see that I was clearly underslept when I wrote it up being that all spells from 9-12 were gate aside from the domain time stop and one shapechange. So I timestop and using gate networks surround our ship with s cage of solar flares. This effectively slowed the assault. The entire table is staring since they are used to seeing gate for summoning and I said "I think with portals"

Later in the battle one of the titans chucks a slew of adamantine javelins at the ship. Everyone aside from me is out of actions so I resort to celerity timestop gate network. When the javelins impacted on the titans head rather than the ship I was rather attached to, I was unsure if the DM was about to burst out laughing or have a fit.

"I've clearly been playing shadow of the colossus"

So, I was playing the game when the DM decided to run a game, and I made a TWF ranger 2/rogue 1 with hammer and piton, figuring that if i was on the creature it will not have a dex bonus. I did not tell the DM my plans, so he looks at the sheet and says "that seems pretty unoptimized for what you usually pull" and I say whatever, I wanted to try something new.

In the forces attacking the town there was some kind of large sized something or other and i make a beeline for it. The DM is confused since he is rather certain that trying to solo it is certain death and the party is hacking through orc raiders and cannot get to me as i hop over rooftops and whatnot. One hide check later and I jump onto the big guy's back.

Boom, sneak attack. On it's round it manages to miss me with all attacks and I full attack, 5 foot stepping up the creature with hammer and piton. Its about then when the party realized that no, DoctorGlock did not build a Drizzt clone, he built a wander knockoff. Our barbarian opens his computer and suddenly the colossus battle theme starts playing. The next round the ogre/thing goes down amidst a shower of cheers and laughter. The ranger lasted until level 9, climbing anything larger than himself (intentionally 5'2'') when he thought it would be a good idea to try the same tactic on a huge undead with acid blood. Wisdom 6 can do that.

"Suddenly, Ninjas"

Ok, one last story, different DM this time. We were playing in an evil campaign, I was a Warlock 4/Binder 1 going for Ur-Priest (I MAD bro. Somewhat importantly, one of my invocations was baleful utterance, the command being "break"). We had entered a rather xenophobic city based on my diplomacy skills under temporary visas and the promise not to cause any trouble... yeah... that. On the first day we ended up offing some wizard before he could discover that we offed his apprentice (we only did that because he stole from us) and then using his tower as a base of operations.

Well, the town apparently has rather good intelligence services because they were tracking us entirely unseen and were one by one nabbing our members for questioning. I was out looking for a certain informant under a different face (woot, naberius!) when suddenly there is a knife at my neck. Well, that could be bad. I hear a voice from behind say "Drop the disguise, I know who you are. I also know your tricks, the first syllables of a spell and I cut your throat. What was your involvement in the dissapearance of the wizard Zuk (his name)"

Well, I blow my bluff, either through fiat or a damn good sense motive on the ninja's part. Or maybe she was a swordsage. "I find it amusing that you would separate yourself from your fellows who could offer you protection. They did the same. Perhaps together could have prevented me from leaving your corpse as an offering to the crows, unless you decide to come quietly"

"And I had just taken the opportunity to get away from them too. Know that rising irritation when surrounded by incompetents, you feel the only thing to do is break away?" I mutter as the knife in her hands shatters into razor shard. My neck had DR. Her hand did not. With a quickened word and a spider climb, I am off over the rooftops, full running as fast as I can, knowing that if she stops to make a ranged attack she will never catch up. By the time I reach the tower and dart inside where the last member was waiting, there are about ten ninjas after me.

Next week: A valiant rescue. Ok, a villainous one involving poisoning and hostage taking. But close

Zeru the Dark
2011-11-09, 07:32 AM
One of my most epic character moments happened at only first level, in a campaign setting that heavily involved airships, Lovecraftian monsters, and Dark Tower style gunslingers; I was playing a rogue named Artemis Whitemple, whose whole goal was to be immortalized in story as a Robin Hood type figure. With this in mind, my bravado-filled young rogue would attempt all sorts of daring acts he had no business attempting.
Our party was on a luxury airship heading from a small island to one of the big cities of the world, when we were beset by air pirates in what was essentially a small blimp with a deck and a very large canon. Artemis ran from his room aboard the luxury vessel to the top deck, where he grabbed up one of the heavy crossbows there to take pot shots at the pirates as they drew closer. Unfortunately, I could not roll nearly well enough to hit anything, so an annoyed Artemis looked for a better solution.
The answer was simple; I looked to the DM and told him, "Please let me know when my character thinks it is physically possible for the jump from this ship to their ship is." He told me as soon as that happened, but warned me that the jump was only strictly physically possible, not necessarily within reason unless I waited another round or two. Artemis leapt immediately; I rolled a 19, and Artemis managed to grab ahold of the closest thing on the pirate vessel, which, of course, was the business end of their massive canon. The pirates lit the fuse, and the DM allowed me a Reflex save to avoid being exploded and to clamber onto their deck; natural 20. Artemis lept into the air, drew his weapons, and landed on the deck before an amazed pirate unscathed. At this point, I look to the DM and say(in the Southern accent of my character), "You just saw me jump from my ship to this ship, vault your cannon, and land here without so much as a scratch. I am the thrice damned son of God! You want to fight, then come!", and rolled a natural 20 for my Intimidate check. The pirates opted to jump ship.
Artemis proceeded, after that, to have more epic moments than all of my other characters combined, including a duel with a pirate lord that ended in a fist-fight, riding a stolen Rust Monster through the air onto the flagship of an enemy air armada, pretending to be a military officer of the same enemy to have their men load up our ship, having a rapier and pistol duel with his more or less evil oil tycoon father, leaping off of a great many more things to land of more things still, and more besides. In the end, I think Artemis met his goal.

Covah
2011-11-09, 08:23 AM
In one of the campaigns I was in, we were running Red Hand of Doom. During the red dragon fight, our paladin, who had a pegasus mount, was in the air with a readied action to charge the dragon when it came in to strafe the party with its breath weapon. He had Mounted Combat, Ride-by-Attack, and Spirited Charge. The paladin got his charge and managed to crit the dragon. There was enough damage that the DM rolled a massive damage save for the dragon and got a 1. Our DM's description of the hit was roughly "You hit the dragon hard enough that your lance drives straight through and sends you both slamming into the ground. Your lance breaks upon the impact but the dragon is dead." The fight had only lasted a few rounds. Our DM then declared that massive damage no longer applies to dragons. And the paladin got his lance repaired later and the party named it Dragonslayer.

onthetown
2011-11-09, 09:28 AM
It happened last year and I mentioned it awhile ago in another thread, but it's worth telling again.

We were about level 12 - 15 and had possession of a large airship, so we were happily flying home after an expedition. An adult red dragon suddenly appeared and accused us of entering his territory. Since I didn't possess the means to kill him, or at least I thought I didn't, I had my ranger//wizard, Shri (the leader of the party), try to reason with him, but he instead launched an attack. We had a bit of a battle.

The red dragon was coming around to attack again. Against all odds, Shri gave the order to fly straight into it.

We impaled the dragon on the bow of the ship, where we happened to have a super special magical cannon that I'm rather fond of. Shri tried to reason with it again, and it refused, so we fired off the cannon at point blank range. The dragon's top half was basically disintegrated, half the ship was destroyed and we had to somehow try to land safely, but hell. It was epic.

Lost Demiurge
2011-11-09, 12:55 PM
A somewhat modified shadowrun game... My character was a Pixie Face/Mastermind. Her alias? White Queen. (Albino, always dressed in white business suits, mirrorshades, general awesome. Social adept with a side order of magical throwing powers... I could throw any object I could lift and it would hit harder than a bullet from a sniper rifle. Favorite trick was killing people with cigarettes or pieces of candy.)

She was built as a face, but throughout the course of the game I ended up being the main planner and plotter. I was watching Leverage at the time, and it was good inspiration for the crap we got into. While the plans were usually clever and fun for all involved, I wouldn't call most of 'em epic.

But the greatest plan I ever initiated started at character creation, and came in at the very end of the campaign.

So. We'd spent about three months gametime gathering up the shards of the ancient artifact we needed. We'd been hopping from city to city, grabbing these things. Every time we were going to visit a new city, I'd hit up my information broker contact for a list of useful people to know in the area.

My information broker was a connection rating 5, loyalty 2 contact. That meant that he wasn't quite a friend, but he was VERY influential. Very well known, too. I'd taken care to specify that with the GM, that quite a lot of people used his services.

So, we came to the situation. We'd pinpointed the secret location where we needed to go to do our thing with the artifact, a hidden cave in the Rocky Mountains. We were pretty sure that quite a lot of factions would be making stopping us a big priority. We were pretty sure that the cave's location was not common knowledge.

I called up my information broker, and asked for an emergency readout on, and smuggling routes IN to Salt Lake City. Didn't tip him for the information, as I usually did.

Our trip to the Rockies via ATV's bought five sessions ago for an unrelated matter was smooth and uninterrupted, as the bad guys who had been tapping my information broker for news on US jumped on the red herring full force.

Seven points worth of contact gone, as I severed ties and turned him into a schrodinger's gun. Totally worth it.

Checkmate!

Daftendirekt
2011-11-09, 01:01 PM
Just had a pretty epic character moment. Just started our new Pathfinder/3.5 campaign, level 1, first session. Our group is traveling with a caravan when we hear from one of the scouts that a nearby town is going to be attacked by goblins. Most of the party rushes off to the town to warn them. We get there, some characters helping people evacuate, others rushing to the western gate to fend off the goblins -- namely, our Zen Archer monk... and my half-giant swordsage with a large-sized nodachi.

The townsfolk, panicked, start closing the gates... but not before my dude steps out onto the road, alone, staring down the 40+ goblins charging towards the town. I hold them off as long as I can, but ultimately drops into negatives. I stabilize, but the monk thinks I'm dead and the goblins got through the gates, so he flees with everybody else.

I come to hours later in a line of dead bodies -- clearly, the goblins thought I was dead too. It's night time so I sneak away, stabbing the goblin guarding the gate in the process, and trudge down the road, miles to the next town. When I get there the next morning, whole party's like "omg you're still alive." But, my guy lost his heirloom sword and needs to go back, kill the goblins, and retrieve it -- with help.

And that is how my guy proved what a badass he was the first session. Can't wait till next week to do more.

Beowulf DW
2011-11-09, 07:11 PM
During a Pathfinder game, I was playing as an Elf fighter specializing in the Elven Curved Sword (basically a two-handed scimitar) and criticals. Using my critical feats, I scored criticals more often, and I could choose to do things like stagger, deafen, and blind my enemies, among other things. I could also inflict two disabilities on one critical.

This came in handy several times throughout the campaign, but none was more memorable than when our party took on a group of monks lead by a Tiger aspect Monk of the Four Winds.

When we saw tiger aspect, my fighter taunted it, saying, "Here kitty-kitty!" The monk then used one of his class abilities to move right in front of me as a swift action, meaning that he could still use flurry of blows. I knew that my fighter was in for a beating. I could have apologized for the insult; I could said that I didn't mean it. What did I do? I said, "Good kitty."

One flurry of blows later, I had lost 3/4 of my hp. But now it was my turn. I rolled a crit, confirmed it, dealt massive damage, and the monk was now blinded and deafened. "Bad kitty!" The monks who were following him had been engaging my allies, but when they saw that their leader no longer had eyes or ears, they tried to break off to help their leader. We dispatched the Monk of the Four Winds and his cohorts with relative ease after my astounding counter-attack.

TheNabster
2011-11-10, 08:43 AM
Playing Exalted with Heroic Mortals (Only for a bit, then we would exalt, but this comes from this stage of our game). At the time we were persuing a fae-blooded assassin who had killed a Gladiator in plain sight into an alleyway, we eventually followed him to a warehouse.

Of course it was occupied and we started getting some stick from the warehouse manager, being the parties social character I stepped up to talk her down whilst they searched for the assassin, who we eventually found and he tried to run away again. He was also invisible.

I responded to this development by politely asking the warehouse manager to excuse me for a moment, and then I turned around kneecapped an invisible fleeing assassin with a firepiece in one shot, and then returned to the conversation without missing a beat. By no means is it as awesome as some of the other things here but it still gives me fuzzies.

Cisturn
2011-11-10, 01:41 PM
I thought of a couple more:

Alley Walkers to Abbey Walkers

Back in high school I was playing a very devout cleric of Saint Cuthbert in a 3.5 game. He had excellent charisma, but had developed a reputation for being a womanizer. One night the party was resting at an inn, and the cleric was keeping watch downstairs at the bar. About halfway through his shift he was approached by two prostitutes. The rest of the party kind of groaned, expecting the obvious. Instead of that though, my character was appalled that anyone could end up in such a horrible occupation. He spent the rest of the night in deep philosophical discussion with them and after a couple nat 20 diplomacy checks, they became level one clerics of St Cuthbert. After the campaign ended the cleric took them as full time apprentices.

Worst BBEG Ever

Not for my character but still sufficiently epic.

The party had finally cornered the BBEG, some megalomaniac wizard, in the library of his tower. Right as the bad guy was finishing his "I'll be the Master of his New World" speech. Our fighter leaps from the ceiling rafters (no idea how he got up there) and rolls to attack. Confirmed Crit with A Vorpal Sword. The BBEG's head gets removed mind sentence.

Lvl45DM!
2011-11-14, 01:41 AM
My favorite:
I'm playing an CG Elf Rogue who had taken levels of Assassin without being evil thanks to some clever RPing. The DM had warned me that Death Blow wouldn't effect bosses by virtue of that really sucking. I agreed, but also told him that if the situation arose where my character would try it, he'd try it, knowing that it would fail ooc.
So, the party had made it all the way to where the boss was and three of our players were not there the night we were going to face off. The Druid, the Archer, and me all decided, what the hell, let's go for it, and told the DM to not pull his punches.
The boss was a Red Dragon (I forget how old). The Druid and Archer went straight into combat after we pissed it off my not being able to pronounce its name (thaks WotC for those crazy dragon names in your printed monsters!) while I, being an assassin and a smart ass, tried to stall. I bluffed repeatedly that I wasn't fighting such a "noble creature" and spent my rounds studying the thing. When the time was right, I used Death Attack, failing as the DM had promised.
Now in combat I tried repeatedly to fight the dragon, but he kept jumping across the cave onto ledges, which took me a double move to cross and get close to him, so he'd jump away before I could strike.
In frustration I told the DM that I was going to secure my rope to my spear and have it out when I attacked. The Druid gave me spider climb before abandoning me to aid his now in the negatives archer (played by his irl girlfriend :S) and I ran across the cave to him.
The dragon laughed at my nonmagical spear and took the turn to smack me before he took off. I turned and lunged off the cliff Leonidas style and speared the dragon in the wing, then proceeded to hang onto the rope for dear life while it flew around, furious.
I climbed up the damned rope and started stabbing the hell outta the thing while the druid summoned some distracting things.
We managed to drop the stupid dragon and I mispronounced its name again, just as it died, to add insult to death.
Shortly thereafter we all shared a great story about how the party beat a dragon without its healer, fighter, or mage. ^_^
Incidentally, I'm really glad my spear stuck because if I'd hit the ground after my flying leap the fall damage would've put me past dead.

This reminds me of a session my 1E assassin had once. Spoilered for length
So our party travels to the earth plane and somehow we end up being transported into child versions of ourselves at level 2 instead of the level 10-12 we were at. So the ubermages and clerics and the fighters with their double specialization all got alot weaker.
We were captured and all the men were sent to a mine, so we had 3 fighters a cleric and me. With some help from a genie we engineer a breakout. First obstacle 5 guards, one each. At this point we are all weaponless except for a mining pick, which none of us were proficient in. So my assassin dodges past his guard and snuffs out the torch. The human guards were blinded but 4/5 of us had infravision so we started kicking arse. My assassin killed his guard using his chains as a garrote and backstabbed 2 other guards with his new sword.
The we went up the mine shaft and the were 10 more guards waiting for us on the desert plain with a cleric and a mage. Our cleric managed to scare off their Cleric with a Cause Fear Spell and the antipaladin used his preternatural good looks to hypnotize the mage and kill him in the first 2 rounds but there was still 10 guards. My assassin thought quickly and blinded the ones charging him with sand and ran away leaving my friends to do the heavy lifting.
I snuck into a tent nearby and found a guard there just waking up. i cut his throat obviously but the true genius came when some of the guards came looking for me. I climbed under the new corpse and smeared his blood over me making a disguise check to look dead. It fooled the guardss who came looking for me and they walked away. So i got up and i backstabbed one and got the other to chase me. We started dueling in front of the tent but he was a fighter and i didnt have the hitpoints or weapons to last so i pulled the sand in the eyes trick again. Rather than go for another backstab, cos the DM wouldnt let it fly, I went behind him and called out to him "Your mates blood was delicious!" getting him to blindly charge me. I tripped him and sent him flying into the tent. Which i lit on fire. By this point 2 of my party are unconscious and its 4 of their guys fighting the cleric and the ranger. So i again save their sorry butts by backstabbing their opponents.
We rested and got the other two back up but the DM sent a copper golem kinda thing against us. We took one look at our non magical longswords and daggers and low hit points and thought bugger that. We ran but it was gaining. Then my assassin saved us all again by remembering the genie. It didnt wanna help us so i bribed with with the gems we had mined and it dropped the golem into a hole.
The best part was my assassin was a bit of a buttmonkey before hand, he died alot due to my Leeroy Jenkins attitude and some unlucky circumstances. When he didnt die i played him as a less effective fighter with the occasional backstab. Playing at a lower level gave rise to a whole new kind of ingenuity and so now i play him much better thanks to that night

NekoJoker
2011-11-15, 06:49 PM
I never get tired of retelling this lol.

First ever real wizard i got to play ever (had been DM until that night). So I HAD to screw around a bit... what did i do? go conjurer wizard and summon a bunch of things to the battlefield... that's what I thought at first... then i got creative

1 - Orcs fall everybody dies
We were preparing to defend a small village from an orc attack when a warband ambushes the party. we were rather aoutnumbered as we saw half a dozen of strong orc fighters (4th level or so) come against our 3 men party (6th level more or less). The paladin lunges into melee and the monk shifts into a battle stance. i as a wizard choose to assist by providing as much cover as i can for them to move around and crush opposition. I decide that summoned creatures will allow them for flanking partners, cover, and extra targets for the orcs to prey upon. I choose the Hippogriff as my next summond and call it right besides an enemy orc. Thanks to my Cloudy Conjuration feat I am able to disable the orc as my beast comes forth from the sickening vapors and immediately command it to grapple the greenskin.

Somehow the hipppogriff succedes on the check and is now wrestling the orc down. on my following turn I summon a few more creatures and command them to do the same. Next I command the Hippogriff to start flying (at this point my DM is rather puzzled as to what i want to do now) and tell it to position right above a group of enemies... then release the cargo.

Imagine the damage a 200 pound orc does after falling at least 80 feet!

I repeated the action a couple of times, and managed to litterally crush the warband.

2 - Top Gun on a Griffin
Same session, after a few more hours we were ambushed a a group of trolls wich we dispatched we kept them alive so they could tell us were the Horde's camp was, after they told us... then our paladin devised a devious plan... well, actualy it was pretty much the same as before, but it involved a bit more planning, just a little.

Our paladin was in possession of a Griffin as his special mount and we decided we would do some scouting to see how the Orc camp was doing and how could we attack it.

The place was not to far away so we flew over and checked that what looked like the warchief was sitting pretty much in the middle of the whole camp without any protection... we came back to our base and gathered the still uncoucious body of the Troll, had the Griffin hold it with its claws and fly away into enemy territory. I casted a Stinking Cloud and a Solid fog on the warchief (as markings for dropping point) and then we released the Troll-Bomb.

DM called for a roll to se if we could actually hit the warchief in the middle of my conjured fog... we did. severely damaging the warchief and stopping him from movin beyond the confines of the solid fog as we dispatched the rest of the camp

Not mine but awesomely funny on it own right

3 - Griffin coach and a green punching bag
The warchief finnally emerged from my clouds cursing and half throwing out the content of his stomach. He called the paladin a filthy coward and challenged him to a duel. Which the paladin accepted... sort of. They started fighting steel against steel, courage against rage. At one point the orc manages to disarm the paladin and asks for his surrender with a smug of pride. At witch the palladin retorts that he does not need a sword to get rid of this filthy beast.

The Orc Warchief laughs -But what can a lonely punny human do agains the might and strenght of a real Orc!- Said the greenskin.

At which the Paladin smiles and replies - I never fight alone.

At that very moment a huge shadow falls upon the orc as the Paladin's trusty mount pounces onto the greenskin grappling it.

Then the paladin proceeds to use the Warchief as a punching bag as the griffin held the orc in place. the Rest of the party could just watch in amazement as the paladin literrally beat the hell out of the poor bastard... he, never stood a chance :smallamused:

If I get the time later I will comment of another great feat during that short (and as of yet unfinished) campaign...

The legend of Badger, the orcslayer.

Calanon
2011-11-15, 09:56 PM
Casting a modified version of Aumver's Soul Shatter took over an entire empire with that by just using an Extended Magic Jar on the Emperor everyday :smile::amused::biggrin:

eulmanis12
2011-11-16, 07:57 AM
Was playing my 17th level human ranger. (not the most creative build but oh well). As an archer he had a crudload of dexterity already, in addition he was wearing bracers of dexterity +5, belt of dexterity etc.

The situation: I was in the top of a lookout tower in a castle being overrun by the forces of Bakayaro, an evil lich that had spent 1000+ years preparing himself to launch said attack. He was very epic (in a literal sense), (OOTs fans, think of him as Xycon). Our 4 man party was in a fairly bad situation. The wizard was dead, (the lich ripped him in half), the fighter was cut off and surrounded by zombie giants, and the cleric was out of healing and attempting to lead a desperate last stand of the castle guard within the keep. with me in the tower are 4 or 5 NPC archers each about 4th or 5th level. Useless in other words. The lich casts a flight spell and flies up into the tower to where I am. He slaughters the archers and starts chasing my charecter down the stairs as I fire explosive arrows in all directions. about four levels from the ground I leap out the window, making a dexterity check to shoot an arrow with a rope tied to it to the window of the adjacent tower, the DM laughs telling me that such a thing is physicly possible but very unlikley. I roll a natural 20 and swing to safety. The tower I just left starts to collapse behind me, (All those explosive arrows into the structural supports, yes this was something we had house ruled ahead of time). the lich is burried under several tons of rock. His army routs. We win.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-16, 01:28 PM
Anyone else have the dream of detonating a staff of power(or magi) and shouting "You shall not pass!"

Dr.Epic
2011-11-16, 01:34 PM
Being level 3 and killing a CR 4 with one hit.:smallwink:

Tech Boy
2011-11-16, 06:51 PM
In my latest session I'm playing a rogue (DM homebrew race).

Level 7 at the time, +30 to acrobatics. :D

Random combat encounter with a Desert Behir. Werewolf PC, the tank, bullrushes the beast. Halfling inquisitor, somehow a tank, charges. Ranger snipes, healer heals.

Me, the rogue, runs up behind Werewolf, grabs his shoulders, launching myself into the air, I land on the back of the Behir.

Comically, I failed every single attack roll.

Was put down by the DM as "The most badass move I've had in a campaign, and the most comical."

RandomNPC
2011-11-16, 07:58 PM
Well, the best I've done recently....

I'm the heavy armor pally, sneaking up on some guys guarding a cave, While the heavy armor cleric next to me isn't so much sneaking, as he is rolling a 3 total on move silently. I've got to cover for my buddy, so he doesn't get shot at, so I go running out to the guys guarding the cave, knowing full well that they're slavers, and yell to them "You've got to help me! Slavers are after me!"

They were dumbfounded, and our game group had to stop for a good laugh. The guy playing the cleric has such an evil laugh... it's great.

Thyrian
2011-11-16, 08:08 PM
A player of mine burned through action points to summon a celestial rhino, which proceeded to shoot from her hands like a cannon into the approaching mantis beast. Ever seen Captain planet where they aim their rings and shout "Fire!" and a stream of fire shoots from their ring towards the bad guys? Exactly like that with a magical ring except the shout was "Rhino!".

Chookster
2011-11-20, 09:05 AM
Had to share this one, playing pathfinder, i am a third level bard, not known for their combat effectiveness.

We're on an airship, its in a controlled dive towards the earth and for a variety of silly reasons we're in the middle of a fight with a bunch of slavers, theres three of them left, two at full health and they've gotten up close to a couple of our squishier party members, thinking quickly, and with a very limited selection of spells i get an idea.

Me: I cast feather fall on the slaver threatening our wizard.
DM:...
DM: he starts freaking out an floating into the air...
Party: -laughing-

Next round
Me: Suggestion, the front of the airship is safest, go there and you'll live
DM: -roll- he runs for the front of the airship like his life depends on it

Ya so i basically took out two fairly tough slavers with no direct damage :D

Kyrthain
2011-11-20, 11:15 AM
So the players in my group are at the boss fight of the fire dungeon, a Blazewyrm with some Dragonfire Adept levels. Most of the group is pretty new, and the cleric forgot to cast the resist energy he had prepared. A few poor reflex saves later, the cleric is down to negatives and dropping. He hits -9 and isn't stable, when the party realizes that the ranger's wolf is about as good at heal as anyone else. Immediately after saving the cleric's life, the wolf is completely incinerated by the boss. In the end, the ranger was conscious at 3hp, the cleric and redcap were stable at -9 and -6 respectively, and the rogue and wolf were dead. It was pretty intense. (characters were 5th level btw)

DiBastet
2011-11-20, 12:23 PM
What more details do you need? I convinced someone that elves do need to sleep with my +25 bluff.:smallwink:

This is similar to some of the most epic things I did at level 5-, that didn't involve a lucky crit...

Rejakor
2011-11-21, 05:44 AM
Age of Worms. We've gone back in time to help some druids abscond with a Dracolich's phylactery, while a gold dragon chick holds off the dracolich. Several waves of the dracolich's army attack the party, but we hold them off with good tactics and fire support, although the last wave hits us pretty hard and uses up pretty much all of our available healing.

At this point, the Druids have gotten the phylactery to the Gate, but the gold dragon chick (who my character, Darius the Fair-Haired, Paladin of Pelor, Cavalier, and Purple Dragon Knight, is good friends with and admires) takes a hard hit from the Dracolich and starts falling. Yelling 'No!' Darius rushes away from the protection of his friends and the druids, calls his Pegasus and begins the most epic action sequence of all time.

Now, Darius isn't just a paladin. He's a paladin specialized in mounted warfare, so not only does he have the ride of a young god and the Mounted Combat to go with it, his pegasus is kitted out with all kinds of speed-enhancing and ride-enhancing doohickeys. So it's not really that insane to imagine him dodging the advanced fiendish megaraptor leaping over the top of a cliff at him as he launches into the air. Or picking his way through massive flaming catapult stones coming straight at his path. Or trampling right over the top of the Young Adult Red Dragon rising to give him a breath to the face.

Or leaping from his pegasus when it gets cornered above the falling dragon and diving straight down through a swarm of acid arrows and harpy archers, reaching the dragon inches before it hits the ground, activating his boots of teleport (not self only, woo hoo), and taking the wounded dragon somewhere else in the past, trying Lay on Hands, it failing, the great dragon dying, trying his scroll of resurrection, it failing, and slumping down in the rain, his heroics for naught in the face of the evil of the foes he faced.

KainelWyst
2011-11-27, 08:08 PM
Disclaimer: This is fairly epic, but also quite cruel and uncouth. 'Course, that's what I get for playing with mentally damaged people... :smallannoyed:

Small Village. The peoples of the village operate an illegal weapons manufacturing plant underneath said village in shifts. The mayor has a cripple son and is less than enthusiastic about helping the pcs along in their investigative quest to track a weapons contract back to a recurring villian. In fact, the entire populace is a bit less than helpful.

This annoys the pcs.

Syrus Terrigan. - Deadly pinball of Erythnul. (Ghestalt scout/ranger/tempest|Cleric with a dropped level of Barbarian for Pounce)

Vic Ferren. - Diplomacy heavy Knight (Knight|Paladin of Tyrrany/Rogue(Fighterfeatvariant)/other ridiculous PrC)

Thalese Darkshine - Psychopathic, Sycophantic Archer Extraordinaire (Ranger|Fighter/otherstuffIcan'tremember)

Legion I - Druidic representative (Druid/Sorcerer with animal companion variant - had two wolves)

Anywho, the fun escalates as they break down the door of the mayor's house between shifts, dragging the cripple to the town center at Thalese's knifepoint. They proceed to ring the town alarm bell until the entire population of the village is brought out of hiding. The mayor pleads with them and such until they negotiate terms.

Two of the healthiest men and the mayor himself are to guide them down to the underground arms factory and show them around. Thalese is to follow with the cripple held as insurance against surprises.

What is said by Terrigan to Thalese: "Follow me, if you lose sight of me for more than two minutes, execute him."

What is heard by Thalese: "If you don't see me for two minutes, execute them."

The following happened:

Terrigan, Legion, and Vic delve into the underground facility, assuming Thalese is to follow at a safe distance. Thalese, however, stays at the town center, glaring down the villagers.

Two minutes pass.

"Whelp. It's been two minutes," a coup de grace ensues, where-after he draws his bow and nocks an arrow, taking aim at the closest citizen which happens to be a child of ten.

"And this, my friends, is what you call, 'guilty by association.'"

He Double 20's the kid, nailing him by the neck, 5' off the ground to a tree behind him. He then proceeds to unleash hell upon the remaining villagers.

His rationale for this was, "If you shoot the children first, the parents will come running back."

askandarion
2011-12-06, 10:15 AM
We've started a Pathfinder game, level 4. There's a couple of epic moments here so far, one of them mine, and I'm sure more to come. One of the things about this game (homebrew world) is that people go on Haunts (DM's way of shuffling off people that don't show up for game, but also going to be used in-game for plot stuff I'm sure), where they fade away and pop back some time later, usually near people or things important to them.

So, first moment, we have a combat (protecting a town against a night of undead, we've barricaded everyone in a dwarven brewery) that's running late. Skeletons are starting to climb in the windows (have to enter prone because they're narrow and the ledges are 10 feet long), and a player who had readied his action to attack one when it came in had to leave. We encouraged him to make his roll before heading out- he hadn't been able to do anything in the combat so far due to being melee and was a mite miffed. He rolled a nat 20. With a hammer. 27 points of damage or so, and as the DM described it, "the skull disintegrates into dust, and hit it so hard you send its spinal column shooting back out the window, leaving only the arms and legs". His character, our DM further describes, killed it so hard he immediately Haunts (fades away). I was very glad he was able to step out on that note- quite the parting shot.

Another moment, I've been prone at a window shooting at the undead as they approach (I'm a Gunslinger, so I carry guns, bullets, and blackpowder horns as well as cartridges). due to angles, I'm surprised when two skeletons pop up and swing at me, but avoid getting hit. On my turn I spend it emptying a powder horn (which holds enough powder for 10 shots, typically) on the window sill and rolling off it, drawing my dragon pistol which was loaded with a flare cartridge (total eclipse made it night, so I had it prepped just in case). The next round the skeletons came in fully on the windowsill, and I stepped away and shot the powder with the flare, causing a small explosion which shattered the skeletons and left me looking like a Looney Tunes character. Totally worth it. I also have a blackpowder keg which I hope to avoid using but may have to...

Rejakor
2011-12-06, 10:20 AM
'If you shoot the children first the adults will come running back.'

Priceless.

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-06, 11:01 AM
I made a character based off of one of my dwarf fortress dwarves-Boad Hoignar's Son, King-To-Be and wielder of Sunderstorm, the adamantine broadsword that he once used to lop the head off of a bronze colossus. You may have heard of one of his DF ventures in the DF threads. I'm rather fond of him.

I've used Boad in multiple campaigns, and in each one he had many moments of awesome, but without a doubt, his very best moment was fighting a fiendish wyrm green dragon. The dragon was attempting to open a portal to one of the layers of hell to fuse itself with a demon, and while the other players were more concerned with closing the portal, Boad was a dwarf. Honey badger He didn't give a damn about the world. He wanted a fight. He charges in to fight the dragon, and fourteen rounds later, half his health gone, the 20th level fighter (leveling a FIGHTER up to that point was impressive in and of itself) had half his health gone and was pinned, but the dragon was in no good shape itself.

So, dwarf fighter, sword and shield, pinned beneath a dragon's hind leg. What does he do?

Stabs the dragon in the crotch. Sunder attempt. Successful.

The DM (a longtime friend of mine and one of my favorite DMs) ruled that Boad had neutered the dragon.

Three rounds of hacking and slashing at the whimpering beastie later, Boad tossed the dragon's head (about the size of a horse drawn carriage) through the portal to the demon awaiting the dragon on the other side. He then jumped through said portal.

Unfortunately, that was the end of the campaign Alan had made, but he's currently working on making an epic level campaign in which the other characters follow Boad into hell and clear house.

Which is hilarious, because Boad's father, Hoignar Redspark, King of the Dragoncloisters, had himself been dropped into a pit with almost a thousand demons in it and came out alive after killing them. Admittedly, he had help from the rest of the soldiers I dropped into the hellpit, but he came out, last man standing, missing his left arm, left foot, ears, an eye, and various other bits, wielding an obsidian shortsword, and then slept for a year and proceeded to wake up in time to stop a goblin invasion.

I think Boad might outshine his father.

INDYSTAR188
2011-12-06, 11:12 AM
I was running a game in Eberron once and had designed a NPC that owed a bunch of money to a gang of Goblins. The idea was for the PC's to pay HIM to take them to the plot hook but instead the gang of goblins show up and start roughing him up. The PC's agree to help but using bluff/intimidate and a impressive display of bar fighting they were able to hustle the guy out of the pickle and convince HIM to pay THEM to take them to their destination as a way of thanking them for their service!

One of the PC's brought all the goblins into the situation because he had a very biased opinion of them and said something nasty to one who was in his way, they followed them to their meeting w/the guy and then noticed it was him.

INDYSTAR188
2011-12-06, 11:16 AM
I made a character based off of one of my dwarf fortress dwarves-Boad Hoignar's Son, King-To-Be and wielder of Sunderstorm, the adamantine broadsword that he once used to lop the head off of a bronze colossus. You may have heard of one of his DF ventures in the DF threads. I'm rather fond of him.

I've used Boad in multiple campaigns, and in each one he had many moments of awesome, but without a doubt, his very best moment was fighting a fiendish wyrm green dragon. The dragon was attempting to open a portal to one of the layers of hell to fuse itself with a demon, and while the other players were more concerned with closing the portal, Boad was a dwarf. Honey badger He didn't give a damn about the world. He wanted a fight. He charges in to fight the dragon, and fourteen rounds later, half his health gone, the 20th level fighter (leveling a FIGHTER up to that point was impressive in and of itself) had half his health gone and was pinned, but the dragon was in no good shape itself.

So, dwarf fighter, sword and shield, pinned beneath a dragon's hind leg. What does he do?

Stabs the dragon in the crotch. Sunder attempt. Successful.

The DM (a longtime friend of mine and one of my favorite DMs) ruled that Boad had neutered the dragon.

Three rounds of hacking and slashing at the whimpering beastie later, Boad tossed the dragon's head (about the size of a horse drawn carriage) through the portal to the demon awaiting the dragon on the other side. He then jumped through said portal.

Unfortunately, that was the end of the campaign Alan had made, but he's currently working on making an epic level campaign in which the other characters follow Boad into hell and clear house.

Which is hilarious, because Boad's father, Hoignar Redspark, King of the Dragoncloisters, had himself been dropped into a pit with almost a thousand demons in it and came out alive after killing them. Admittedly, he had help from the rest of the soldiers I dropped into the hellpit, but he came out, last man standing, missing his left arm, left foot, ears, an eye, and various other bits, wielding an obsidian shortsword, and then slept for a year and proceeded to wake up in time to stop a goblin invasion.

I wish the forum had a 'like' or +1 button. But either way, 'like' and +1. I love playing dwarves. I really like the adventure's you can have w/them and the typical or atypical characterizations. Almost no other race in RPG's have as much 'fantasy' feel to me then dwarves. I would love to run an all dwarf campaign.

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-06, 11:22 AM
If you run an all dwarf campaign, dibs on first join.

I've always wanted to run one where the PCs run a dwarf fortress but with D&D stylizations like the magic and traps and have to both defend it and manage it. Almost like a sandbox castle game.

And, of course, I run characters through abandoned forts CONSTANTLY when I DM.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-06, 02:46 PM
Dwarf Fortress?
In roleplaying games?
AWESOME.

Cisturn
2011-12-07, 03:06 AM
Dwarf Fortress?
In roleplaying games?
AWESOME.

Ugh, not as fun as you might think. My group spent a semester in a dungeon based off of a dwarf fortress. It was pretty tedious, though it got better once we got out of the habitat ring. Apparently my DM was going through a fractal phase.

Thorin
2011-12-07, 12:29 PM
We are currently playing PF, a campaign in which we are hitting 19 level (for the first time ever since we started playing).

I use a dwarven druid 12/armiger 2/fighter 5. I am the BSF basically. And i only wildshape in earth elemental (it has been some time since the last time i was in my dwarven form... so much that now i claim to be an earth elemental that can wildshape into a dwarf).

So, our DM made us to write our backstory, so he could intertwine it with the campaign. In mine, i had a nemesis in the druids circle who mainly summoned elementals and then (while flying around in air elemental form) would blast your face off. If you noticed, HE was a more optimized build than mine. But mine was... well, mine, and quite fun to play. Of course, as a classic nemesis, he allways got a few levels on me.

Long story made short (when we were lvl 15 i belive), my nemesis "allied" whit the nemesis of the wizard, and together were trying to perform an obscure ritual to... well, we did not know what it would do exactly, but we knew that it will kill all the people in several miles (it had happened once before).

So, we are flying around looking for them (some with spells, other with potions, and i in air elemental form) when the first signs of the ritual happens. Our GM ask for spot checks and i roll something like a 40+. Even from 200ft in the air, i notice my nemesis casting the ritual down in the floor. So what do i do? i wildshape into an earth elemental. In mid air. 200ft high.

I fall right on top of him (he fails his reflex save), and we booth take 20d6. Then initiative is rolled. Miraculously, i win (all the major BBEGs in the campaign have incredible initiative bonus), and proceed to full attack him. 3 Slams latter, our GM tells us that a sort of "contingent item" teleports him out of there (latter admiting that i have just killed him, but that he still was needed).

Even if i was a bit mad at his scape, i couldn´t avoid the proud of knocking my personal nemesis down in one round, and that my craziness of transforming midair actually had worked in my favor.

Delwugor
2011-12-07, 03:20 PM
Oh so so many. But two in particular stick out because in both situations I didn't attack anything. Both were also probably the hardest and best roleplaying I have done.

D&D 3.5 we are playing an evil group, Cleric, Blackguard and an Enchantress (sorceror). The cleric and blackguard gets captured by good ghosts after loosing a battle with them. My character turns invisible to survive and doesn't get captured. After some thought I decided that she still needed her companions so decides to rescue them, tough decision LOL.
She turns invisible and sneaks into the ghosts room, without any ranks in move silently. Gets heard and as the ghosts are searching the room and the main one starts casting a spell she jump on the two unconscious captives and quickly reads her teleport scroll she had for emergency escapes.
Teleports right into their original camp which was being combed through by gnomes. They attempt to rob her but she charms one of the leaders and convices everyone to stay the night in friendship. The next morning she convinces them that she needs help for her companions and their equipment needs to be retrieved from the old temple. Oh the equipment is right next to the large mounds of gold and jewels, she had plenty of ranks in bluff.
So the gnomes to into he temple and she waits outside. Later two gnomes come running out with equipment and a ghost chasing them. It catches them, they go down and the ghost goes back in leaving the equipment. My character calmly walks up and picks up the equipment without a bit of regret.

In a d20 Future game we where Special Federal Investigators sent to Mars. My character was a has been teenage heart throb with hidden telepathic abilities which the governemnt was training and researching.
One of the players (the shooter) could not make a couple of weeks so the GM came up with a quick adventure for the Engineer and my Investigator where the shoot was captured and we had to find and rescue him.
We are resting in our hotel room when two thugs bust in the door and start shooting. I duck behind the couch while the engineer starts shooting back. Instead of using my laser my character charms the bad guy at the door. Convinces him that we are not the right people. As he stops and thinks confusedly I turn on the other one and rolling fantastically do the same thing to him.
The engineer shoots the second in the head so I had to calm the first one down again. I ended up convincing him that he was injured (he wasn't) and that I had a device to heal him (I had a neural neutralizer). I place it on his head and then we get most of the information we needed to find our companion.

Wyntonian
2011-12-07, 08:59 PM
I wish the forum had a 'like' or +1 button. But either way, 'like' and +1. I love playing dwarves. I really like the adventure's you can have w/them and the typical or atypical characterizations. Almost no other race in RPG's have as much 'fantasy' feel to me then dwarves. I would love to run an all dwarf campaign.

I agree on the +1, and I'm actually in an all-dwarf PbP right now. It's pretty much made of awesomeness. Here's a link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12192782#post12193434).

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-07, 09:14 PM
I agree on the +1, and I'm actually in an all-dwarf PbP right now. It's pretty much made of awesomeness. Here's a link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12192782#post12193434).

Darn, too bad it's already past recruitment.

Daftendirekt
2011-12-11, 12:54 PM
So, our 2nd level party was just ambushed by a group of goblins in the night. The person on watch couldn't see that well, not having darkvision, so they managed to get into our camp and pretty much stand over everybody's bodies ready to stab them. Person on watch finally spots them, shouts for us to wake, and we do so...

Then 4 of the 6 of us proceed to roll natural 20s for punching the goblins right in the testicles. One (two, maybe?)of them was even killed instantly.

KainelWyst
2011-12-11, 07:33 PM
Random level five treasure generation. Intelligent +3 implacable, fleshgrinding longspear. I think it's scores were 16, 16, 18. Chaotic Good. Cast Poison heightened to fourth level whenever it struck a lawful evil enemy for the first time. Also had other fun tricks. >.<

So... Mr. nasty Hobgoblin...

*poke* *hit* *Poisony, grinding, organ-copulation of doom with persistent, stacking bleeding damage for five rounds* (oh. *from ten feet away*)

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-12, 11:49 AM
This just happened last night.

I'm playing a warblade (for the first time) in a campaign that takes place in a country steadily falling into a civil war. I've focused on White Raven and Iron heart surge, and I have the leadership and dragon cohor feats and a leadership score of 20 (level ten, 22 charisma, I run a fighter's guild type establishment, and a few other modifiers).

There's a huge fight going on, and my character shows up late with his something hundred leadership followers, a metric butt-ton of mercenaries, and my silver dragon mount, with me, my mount, and my lieutenants (my highest level followers) all decked out in adamantine and mithril dwarfcraft armor and weaponry.

Bad. Ass.

Also, Iron Heart surging myself back to health after taking a ballista bolt to the gut. That was fun.

The Boz
2011-12-12, 12:02 PM
In the Deus Ex game that I run, the party was in a terrain vehicle, driving across the desert in search of an MJ12 base when they are spotted by a UAV. The driver tries to hide behind a sand dune, but the UAV locks on and moves in to attack with its single long range missile system. Everyone in the vehicle panics and starts jumping out. Everyone but the sniper. So as the UAV launches the missile, and the driver jumps out through the door without even bothering to stop, the sniper flips open the roof panel, brings out his rifle and, calm as a glacier, rolls a natural 20. Kills the missile in flight. The harmless blast and smoke envelop the vehicle and pass shortly after, revealing four team mates in the sand, wondering what the hell just happened, and one brass-balled cold-as-ice sniper BMF sitting on the roof, a cigar already lit in his mouth. "What are you all doing laying around? Get in, we have a base to find!"

W3bDragon
2011-12-14, 05:41 AM
This one is not mine, but a fellow player and I was present during the session.

2nd Ed D&D. We were playing an all dwarf party. Our very first session was a "Storm the castle" kind of adventure. All of us, except the PC in question, were able to use hidden entrances to get into the castle, except for the battlerager PC, who couldn't stealth to save his life, so he waited for us at the front entrance so we can infiltrate and open it for him.

We have tons of action inside sneaking and fighting. Eventually we run into an Umberhulk. The thing nearly kills half the party, but we bring it down using our last few hitpoints and magic. We're nearly drained. One of us throws caution to the wind and yells at the top of his lungs for the battlerager to come help.

In 2nd Ed, it took 10 rounds for a battle rager to enter the rage. 10 rounds of beating on his shield, yelling, and generally psyching himself up. He hears our call for help and starts raging.

We continue inside, running into a couple of small fights. We finally enter the room with the mcguffin in it. We grab it, and get suprised by 4 umberhulks. Since we were barely able to take one, we knew we were toast. By that point, the battlerager PC had raged and, one bend bars/lift gates later, was hurtling our way. Just as the umberhulks jump us, he makes it into the room. He tells us he'll hold them off while we make a run for it, and that's exactly what we do.

We run away and get outside the castle, while the DM takes the PC aside and runs the battle with the umberhulks in secret. Afterwards, we secure the mcguffin, and send one of the rogue PCs to check on our battlerager. He sneaks in, gets to the room where the battlerager was.

He finds the battlerager dead on the ground, holding his wineskin of ale in one hand, his dwarven axe in the other, surrounded by 4 dead umberhulk bodies.

That was truly epic.

Razanir
2011-12-30, 11:21 PM
Trying to Jedi mind trick the town council and rolling a 20

FerhagoRosewood
2011-12-31, 02:04 AM
In a Pathfinder/3.5 campaign, we're playing an urban campaign which is almost literally a weekly test to see how long we can make it before we die. One player alone had lost two characters prior to this. So we are at a carnival, nothing too scary or whatnot. Before anything bad happened, we each had visited a fortune teller that gave us each a special Contingency wish granted against each one of our fears (unbeknownst to us).

For the wizard (Adamos) and cleric (Marcelin), I am kinda forgetful of theirs. My Sandman Bard (Alara Zapoena), a young noble who fled her home continent over fear of being killed for being a magic user, got a ward against assassins. And the big fighter (Cruise "X" Woods)? He wished to not join the city watch. Cue the dark clouds as undead pour out of the skies to hunt down and kill all living creatures. Their leader? The previous lord of the city watch who, through his own anger and drive, came back to undeath to repeatedly utter these words... "CRUISE WHY YOU NO JOIN CITY WATCH?!"

As we approach him, the last monstrous thing left, he again bellows, "CRUISE WHY YOU NO JOIN CITY WATCH?!" Instantly Cruise is teleported at least ten turns away to save him from joining the city watch. Leaving the three casters, the cleric being a Shadow Master and useless here, to deal with the mounted undead fighter. Adamos and Alara flee, using their buffs to make them go faster, as Marcelin stays feinting death after being attacked. Halfway through running away, we run into Cruise and with Alara's help, he's teleported sooner back into combat. So now all of us are back and ready to fight. Then comes the late leader's fear aura. Cruise fails and runs fleeing away.

:smalleek:

So now the party is back where we left off, with the monster still yelling, "CRUISE WHY YOU NO JOIN CITY WATCH?!" Mercelin summons a huge zombie to fight him off as Adamos hurls Scorching Rays at him. Now Adamos is near out of spells and Mercelin can really only affect living. When he looks to be in bad shape, it falls to Alara (the dainty appearing noble girl) to melee him because nobody else can. She runs up and after missing one attack, she full attacks the guy. Two hits with sneak attack, thanks to the zombie flanking, later... He falls over dead. Alara proclaims her victory by gasping "...I...did...it?" Then proceeds to faint.

QuidEst
2012-01-13, 06:45 PM
Well, I was doing a one-shot PBP type thing. Key point- stuff is written in basically real time. Dunno how to describe it beyond that, but it was just me with my bard and another person playing two kings. The event is the crowning of the Little King, essentially the second-in-command of the kingdom. The High King has played a joke on all the foreign nobility attending, and has hidden himself (not particularly well) amongst the guards while the Little King handles the party.

Enter my bard, Camilla Nomer. She knows the High King is in the audience, and starts out with a round of humorous equivocation. The Little King is feeling a little mean, and tells her to make jokes at the expense of the King. She manages to both insult him and compliment him at the same time by making jokes regarding his own prank (the general theme being thrift and combining different positions- and explanation would be tldr;). The Little King will have none of this, and demands (knowing full well that the High King is present and that he himself won't get any backlash from this) that she mock him. I get some background on the King, and find that he is normally very reserved and emotionless, but is famous for losing his temper spectacularly. (Prospects not looking good for Miss Nomer.) That, and he pretty much cares more about his horses than his own family.

That leaves me making up a convincing background story for the King that insults him and is funny enough to keep Camilla alive.

."A /thousand/ pardons, your grace," the jester said, bowing so suddenly and deeply, and with such flourish, that her hair flipped over her face comically. "I must blame the king's thrift again, it seems- for he has merged the offices of fools to entertain the court and those ever-stooping courtesans whose merits lie only in their mouths and not their minds. But this is small thrift indeed, for I have found little difference myself! But of the king himself… why, I had thought him here when I entered!" She declared, dancing nimbly over to gesture at a stern statue of a knight, set into the wall of throne room. "For the two carry themselves so similarly, and I thought it more foolish than I wished to mock him so openly as he stood there. But no, I was mistaken, for I am sure I saw this fellow's mouth move, a little smile at my jests. No, he cannot fool me, fool that I am. And a great fool indeed, but I shall never match my master. I studied under Earl Syzil," she declared, using the name of a former nobleman, with particular emphasis on "former". "Our guests may not know of my master and his dealings with the King, so I shall tell them. The Earl was hunting in the King's forest, there as a guest with several other of the nobility. He was such a poor shot and so short of vision that he seemed in no risk of burdening his lord's hospitality any more than a lame-winged pheasant. Well, he broke off some distance, protesting the noise of his companions. And to his delight, scarce ten minutes passed before he saw the largest deer before his eyes that one could wish! He drew back his bow, let fly the arrow, and for once in his life, made a shot cleaner than a miser's coin. Overjoyed at his luck, he went to see the buck… and though it was large indeed, there was something missing," Camilla said, waggling her fingers on her head as antlers. "Meanwhile, a stableboy was being thrashed most harshly for letting the King's prize horse loose. The next day, Earl Syzil was brought before the king," she said, dropping to her knees penitently. Just as quickly, she picked herself up, spun to face where she'd kneeled. Her face turned bright crimson, and she spoke with a thunderous voice that was quite unexpected from a woman. "DO YOU KNOW YOUR NUMBERS, SYZIL?" She was back kneeling again in a flash. "Y-yes, my l-lord!" "HOW MANY ANTLERS DOES A BUCK HAVE, SYZIL?" "T-two, my lord." "AND HOW MANY DOES A HORSE, SYZIL?" "N-nought, my lord." "AND ARE THESE NUMBERS NOT DIFFERENT, SYZIL?" "Y-yes, my lord." "You have cost me my finest horse. You cannot replace it, for I did care far more for that horse than I do for you, for it had far more sense! But deer are foolish, and you may pass as one." Camilla resumed her normal voice again, explaining the tale's end. "And for a year from that day, every morning, the Syzil put on a weighty headpiece fixed with two deer antlers. Diligent study that I am, I shall never be so great a fool as he," she said with a bow.

The result? The Little King laughs his head off. The High King is about to flip his lid, but is pleased enough that the Little King is happy to just leave matters in his hands. The Little King turns out to be so amused that Camilla not only gets off the hook, but gets off the hook with her weight in gold. I've always considered insulting a king to his face to be one of the things the character would have done, and I was happy to pull it off fair and square. XP

AgentofHellfire
2012-01-13, 08:20 PM
I've only had one DnD game in which my char was even allowed to do anything awesome that didn't end up in some way humiliating him (in this case, him rather than her), and it really was quite fun, because he was an epic char with somewhere around 30-40 Strength, in a game that ultimately became freeform.

Therefore, I got to do a lot of epic stuff with him. :smallbiggrin:

This including:
--Killing a golem by literally picking it up and hurling it into a wall.
--Diving into pure, Primeval Fire and coming out completely unscathed.
--Exploding in a burst of light swords
--Creating walls of light swords from thin air.
...and so forth.

Now, I did manage, in one game of DnD other than this to do some other epic things, including:

--Incinerating an entire troupe of elite goons in less than 6 seconds, when they were meant to pose an actual threat.
--Disintegrating the spell component pouch of an enemy spellcaster that was proving to be really annoying. What's really epic about this is that I was using disintegrate to do this, from 400+ feet away, and I managed to hit only the spell component pouch and not the orc shaman, whom I was planning to interrogate so we could find the dragon we were actually after.
--After the spellcaster had lost his ability to cast spells, summoned a bone devil that quite literally managed to beat the living hell out of the shaman's wolverine.

And then, there's Exalted...I've only done minor things there, but they include...
--Killing two goblins in one tick, using only one minor dodge-enhancing charm.

And there are my epic moments...I'll post ones for people who have played under me eventually, but this seems long enough. :smalltongue:

AtwasAwamps
2012-01-14, 11:58 AM
::Sneaks in::

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150139

::sneaks out::

Kyberwulf
2012-01-14, 03:11 PM
This isn't My epic Character moment, but it was my brothers.

I was the dm. They where traveling through a accursed swamp infested with Lizardmen, diseases, and a Dragon. The party was travaling through the swamp. I cannot remember what the other guys where, but my brother was a 2nd level Wizard. An encounter with Lizardmen had drained the party's resources.

I as a DM, decided to try intimidate my players, show them that they weren't the biggest bad guys in the swamp. I have the Adult Black Dragon come in and start to harress the caravan. He would Fly by in a strifing run. Needless to say the party was unphased by his attacks, however none of them where able to damage the dragon.

This is when my brother enacts his crazy scheme, as the dragon is flying over on another pass, he runs up on a cart, and Jumps onto the dragon's back. Yes, the Wizard, jumps onto the Dragons back. He proceeds to punch and grapple the Dragon.

Now, by this time irl, all the other players are either staring in disbelief, or howling with laughter.

He proceeds to not only stay on the Dragons back, he also manages to put the Dragon into a Grapple check, and it Plummets into the murkey waters. I figure, hey he can't breathe under water but the Dragon has the ability. He should let go and make a break for the surface. Nope, he keeps the dragon grappled, but manages to snake around and pin the arms. He is holding his breathe, has enough arms so the dragon can't get away.

Now, by this time the Dragon manages to break the grapple and start moving away. Machanicly, this is one of the Crazy parts, He attempts to grapple the dragon again. He makes the touch AC, and then proceeds to roll a natural 20 on the roll. The Dragon rolls a 1. So he manages to grapple AGAIN, and proceeds to pin the Dragon. He then Manages to shove the Dragons mouth INTO the Muddy floor. He manages to HOLD his breathe, HOLD the Dragons down, AND hold the Dragon's Head into the Floor.

Due to some poor Rolls, the Dragon didn't last long. All in all the whole time from entrance to the waters, to the death of the Dragon, it was something close to 12 Rounds.

Talk about Epic -_-'

P.S. The Ranger was able to track the Dragon to his lair, and they got some Damn good Loots.

SleepyShadow
2012-01-14, 03:23 PM
It was a 3.5 Forgotten Realms campaign, and we were level 6. I was playing Brother Benjamin Cormantha, a LG cleric of Lathander. The rest of the party consisted of a half-ogre fighter/rogue, a half-dragon ranger, a goliath lion totem barbarian, and a half-orc monk. I also had a level 4 human bard cohort named Ellis.

We were exploring a temple to Mystra that we thought was abandoned, but turned out some priests of Talos had taken up residence in the place. The leader of the bunch was a tough as nails Black Flame Zealot chick.

They managed to split us up and take down the majority of the party. The barbarian, ranger, and fighter/rogue were all dead, I managed to kill the cleric I was fighting, and the monk killed both his and the one attacking my cohort before it could kill her, though she was at negative-something hp. It was about the same time that I regrouped with the monk and the bard that the leader and the remaining clerics showed up to try and finish us off.

I used Knowledge (architecture) and asked the DM if the area we were in had any weak support structures. He told me that the pillars holding the roof up looked pretty weak. :smallamused:

Everyone around the table stared at me for a bit when I cast shatter on the main support pillar. The room started caving in, the Talos priests started scrambling for the exit, the BFZ all went after me, and the monk high tailed it out of there with the unconscious bard, beating the priests to the exit since he had double their movement speed.

Using my best British accent (since that's how Benjamin talked), I said to the monk, "Give my regards to Ellis." I then used a scroll of wall of stone to seal off the exit.

I may have died, but I took those priests with me!

Rodimal
2012-01-14, 04:32 PM
My first solo (and still favorite) d&d character Galanath. We were fighting in a temple that was overrun by undead and had made it to the big bad finally. I was fighting a Lich Sorcerer/Cleric (lvl 9 at the time Rogue3/Ranger6) and he cast Power Word Kill at me. Roll a will save says my then girlfriend (now wifey). 19 on the dice. Now I know normally you don't get a save to that, but because of previous plot reasons I did (I had a Ring of The void and a connectionto the Void Wolf) The save Dc was still very high though, something like 24 or 25. This next bit is verbatim for the conversation that followed in the next few seconds:

"The Lich, surprised at your appearance points his finger at you and says one word. Die. Roll me a will save."

"YES. 19 on the dice! That's a 26 overall!"

"Umm, wow, you made it. Your turn, what do you do?"

"I look him straight in the face and say '**** you.' I charge."

"You WHAT!?!?"

I had to charge through a wall of fire to get to him, rolled a natural twenty on the save then three crits on two rounds of attacks with my paired Scimitars before finishing him of with another crit a few rounds later (In our games Lichs aren't immune to crits). I never missed with any attacks and he never hit me after the wall.

Rodimal
2012-01-14, 04:36 PM
My first solo (and still favorite) d&d character Galanath. We were fighting in a temple that was overrun by undead and had made it to the big bad finally. I was fighting a Lich Sorcerer/Cleric (lvl 9 at the time Rogue3/Ranger6) and he cast Finger of Death at me. Roll a will save says my then girlfriend (now wifey). 19 on the dice. This next bit is verbatim for the conversation that followed in the next few seconds:

"The Lich, surprised at your appearance points his finger at you and says one word. Die. Roll me a will save."

"YES. 19 on the dice! That's a 26 overall!"

"Umm, wow, you made it. Your turn, what do you do?"

"I look him straight in the face and say '**** you.' I charge."

"You WHAT,.

Lycan 01
2012-01-15, 02:32 AM
Between that and the familiar gaining speak with master, that sorc went a bit crazy. It didn't help that the DM based the weasel's personality of a a character from My Little Pony.

I'm going to guess... Rainbow Dash? :smallconfused:

Apparently, Vader (as Anakin Skywalker) remembered my character's name and face from when he was a youngling in the Temple. That's how he knew I was the real deal and not just a pretender or untrained whelp (DM told me afterward). So I do the only thing a reasonable PC would do in that situation. I agree to join him if he will help me survive. And then I stab him in the gut with my sword (destiny point), grapple him to hold him in place for a round (my second destiny point), and then set off a thermal detonator in his face (my last destiny point).

Sadly, I didn't take Vader with me. I still miss that character. The rest of the group escaped (I'm not sure how exactly, only that it involves fancy flying, two hijacked TIE fighters and thermal detonators fired from torpedo tubes) and I rejoined a few weeks later with a new character.

That is amazing. Bravo. :smallbiggrin:

Or leaping from his pegasus when it gets cornered above the falling dragon and diving straight down through a swarm of acid arrows and harpy archers, reaching the dragon inches before it hits the ground, activating his boots of teleport (not self only, woo hoo), and taking the wounded dragon somewhere else in the past, trying Lay on Hands, it failing, the great dragon dying, trying his scroll of resurrection, it failing, and slumping down in the rain, his heroics for naught in the face of the evil of the foes he faced.

While very depressing, that is also very cinematic and just dramatically right.

~snip~

I want to play a Dwarf now... :smalleek:

So, our 2nd level party was just ambushed by a group of goblins in the night. The person on watch couldn't see that well, not having darkvision, so they managed to get into our camp and pretty much stand over everybody's bodies ready to stab them. Person on watch finally spots them, shouts for us to wake, and we do so...

Then 4 of the 6 of us proceed to roll natural 20s for punching the goblins right in the testicles. One (two, maybe?)of them was even killed instantly.

Was this 4e, where the Goblins were minions with just 1 HP? If not... how much damage did punching them in the crotch do?! :smalleek:

Kymme
2012-01-16, 11:14 PM
My 10th level greyguard paladin killed a Balor with a barstool.
The whole party died in its death throes.