PDA

View Full Version : Which would you rather have?

Seharvepernfan
2011-11-05, 11:07 AM
This is 3.5, if it matters.

You have a choice between:

actions points, as per the eberron campaign setting book, pg. 45

or

reroll any roll (before you know the result - cant be used on saves) 1/day + 1/5 levels (once at 1st, twice at 5th, thrice at 10th, etc.)
-attacks/damage/spell DC*/skill or ability checks
*this game uses spell DC rolls

Which would you rather have as a player?

Cruiser1
2011-11-05, 11:22 AM
Action points, definitely! They can be (ab)used for so many different things in high optimization characters. For example, persist a casting of Unfettered Heroism (RoE), so you get 1 free action point a round all day!

Aegis013
2011-11-05, 11:48 AM
Seconding action points. Nobody I play with (other than a one-shot one time) ever runs with them, but I've always wanted to play with them.

Inferno
2011-11-05, 12:06 PM
I think it depends on the game we're playing. If the campaign is set in Eberron or I feel like playing an Artificer: I'd want AP

Anything else I think I'd rather have a few re-rolls daily.

Coidzor
2011-11-05, 12:17 PM
reroll any roll (before you know the result - cant be used on saves) 1/day + 1/5 levels (once at 1st, twice at 5th, thrice at 10th, etc.)
-attacks/damage/spell DC*/skill or ability checks
*this game uses spell DC rolls

Which would you rather have as a player?

Before I know if I succeeded or failed but after I know what the result adds up to or before the die has finished rolling and settled upon one number?

Or while the die has finished rolling but before I've added up all of the bonuses and penalties?

Chronos
2011-11-05, 03:01 PM
Personally, I'd rather take the rerolls, but that's just because I hate managing limited resources. If I had action points, I'd continually be struggling with myself "Should I use this now, or should I save it in case some other situation comes up where I need it more?". Even daily-use abilities tend to be problematic this way for me, but per-level abilities, far more so.