PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Druids.

Kyberwulf
2011-11-05, 02:31 PM
Hello.

I am in need on some help. Currently a player of mine wishes to play a Druid, an Elf Druid. No one I have Dm'd for has ever picked a druid so i am unawares of how to advise on what Skills, Feats, equipment to take. Foremost is how to advise on what role in the party Druids take, such as healering, Ranged, or melee.

The Current Pathfinder books we use are just the Core, and the Advanced Players Guide.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-05, 02:47 PM
Why aren't you using UC and UM? They're free you know (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/).

Stay in wild shape all the time. Pick a form with flight, pounce, or a free trip attack. I recommend pteranodon, deinonychus, or dire wolf.

BlackestOfMages
2011-11-05, 02:55 PM
Take natural spell, and the animal companiion rather than a domain

sit back and watch the world die without you even putting any effort in. get bored of easy mode. switch back to a class with at least some chalange :smalltongue:

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-05, 03:00 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/druid-handbook-part-1

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/druid-handbook-part-2

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/druid-handbook-part-3

Arbane
2011-11-05, 07:00 PM
Hello.

I am in need on some help. Currently a player of mine wishes to play a Druid, an Elf Druid. No one I have Dm'd for has ever picked a druid so i am unawares of how to advise on what Skills, Feats, equipment to take. Foremost is how to advise on what role in the party Druids take, such as healering, Ranged, or melee.

Tell them to plan on taking Natural Spell at level 6.

Aside from that, the basic Druid tactics are: Summon Nature's Ally to rip a problem's face off, Wildshape into something nasty and rip a problem's face off, or send their animal companion to rip a problem's face off. Plus, they can cast other spells, if they feel like it. :smallbiggrin:

Infernalbargain
2011-11-05, 08:37 PM
Tell them to plan on taking Natural Spell at level 6.

Druids don't get a feat at level 6.

Doorhandle
2011-11-05, 09:03 PM
...They get it at level 5 now. Oh, Joy.

Also, if they plan melee, they will need a fair measure of STR and possibly CON.

Wildshape now just buffs stats instead of exchanging them, and it's always a flat bonus.

Leon
2011-11-05, 11:32 PM
Hello.

The Current Pathfinder books we use are just the Core, and the Advanced Players Guide.

A Druid can take on many roles, ask the player what they would like do with the Character. Focusing on roles can affect what feats are taken - not so much skills or Equip.

Infernalbargain
2011-11-06, 02:01 AM
...They get it at level 5 now. Oh, Joy.

Also, if they plan melee, they will need a fair measure of STR and possibly CON.

Wildshape now just buffs stats instead of exchanging them, and it's always a flat bonus.

Aye they are no longer the true epitome of a sad class. Even the wizard still had to put points into con.

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-06, 02:06 AM
Yea, now Druids generally have to focus on one of two specialties -- see the links I did earlier.

Kyberwulf
2011-11-06, 05:56 PM
Okay thanks for the help

NOhara24
2011-11-06, 07:17 PM
sit back and watch the world die without you even putting any effort in. get bored of easy mode. switch back to a class with at least some chalange :smalltongue:

Yep. At least play something that requires some effort.

The Boz
2011-11-06, 07:20 PM
Yep. At least play something that requires some effort.

Like a Monk.

Paul H
2011-11-06, 07:23 PM
Hi

And don't forget that your companions don't need armour profiency to use armour, as long as it has no check penalty, you should be fine.
(Just cost double base price for medium, triple base price for large).

I've got a Dwarf Druid 7 in the PFS campaign. My armoured Crocodile companion took out incorporeal undead thing by himself. (With my Gtr Magic Fang spell). The party fighter couldn't even touch it (no magic wpn).

As someone's already said, you have to plan ahead, Are you going to play the companion as main party tank, or going elemental blasting?

Thanks
Paul H
PS The role is often dictated by the stats. You rolling or point buy?

CIDE
2011-11-07, 01:55 AM
Like a Monk.

UNLESS you can throw 3.5 content into Pathfinder. Namely, some pretty awesome set ups featured in Dragon Magazine.

DDogwood
2011-11-07, 09:04 AM
I've got a Dwarf Druid 7 in the PFS campaign. My armoured Crocodile companion took out incorporeal undead thing by himself. (With my Gtr Magic Fang spell). The party fighter couldn't even touch it (no magic wpn).

Can I point out that it's pretty pathetic that a 7th level fighter doesn't have a magic weapon?

But yeah, PF Druids seem to either be spell casters with moderate combat ability, or combat monsters with decent spellcasting. Think of them as Clerics who can have a free pet fighter.