PDA

View Full Version : Horror, bevare, PCs are coming

Balor01
2011-11-05, 05:16 PM
I wanted to do this awhile ...

Often when I watch a horror movie, I think to myself "heck, these guys do not know ****. My players would just rip trough this ohoho so-scary-mr.-mutated-demon/zombie/tarantula". So, if playground agrees, I'd like to present sort of a mental challenge here. I'd ask posters to "train and equip" our "run of the mill paranormal explorers/monsterhunters/ship rescue crews" who get regularly torn apart, eaten by monsters or just throw themselves out of an airlock due to those failed sanity saves.

There is no system, this is sort of freeform suggestion chart, what such lists should conclude. I've already added some examples and suggestions. You may rip off any good ideas from any movie/book/whatever. On the other hand, do try to consider, that this are HUMANS. They are unable to pull ships from orbit just by their mental powers or to be "jedis, siths, etc." Think more along movie horror survival guides.

The "classes":
A) Pre-modern-age explorer (Example: Icabod Crane from Sleepy Hollow)
experience:
1. a priest (faith is a good factor when facing horror)
1.1 potential "upgrade" - a high ranking member of Church or anti-evil organisation with inquisitor-ish abilities
2. knowledge on the arcane and ancient religions
3. good knowledge of swordmanship
4. handy with guns

Equiptment:
5. some sort of sword, several guns
6. several hidden blades and perhaps small pistols
7. holy water
8. silver bullets
9. wooden stakes made of aspen

B) Modern age explorer (Catherine from The Reaping, "ghost expert" from
Paranormal activity, Mike Enslin from 1408)
experience:
1. a priest (faith is a good factor when facing horror)
1.1 potential "upgrade" - a high ranking member of Church or anti-evil organization with inquisitor-ish abilities
3. knowledge on the arcane and ancient religions
4. marksman

Equipment:
5. several guns
6. several hidden blades and perhaps small pistols
7. body armor
8. a few explosive devices
9. holy water
10. silver bullets
11. wooden stakes made of aspen

C) Space ship rescue team (Colonial marines from Aliens, Marines from Doom the movie, Rescue team from Event horizon)
Experience:
1.Standard military and search&rescue training

Equipment:
1. drugs to decrease fear/increase combat effectiveness, reduce effects of sleep deprivation
2. heat/sonic/EM etc detection system
3. full body armor, effective in zero gravity and open space
4. some standard light infantry combat equiptment

I have this much so far ... will appreciate further input.

Traab
2011-11-05, 05:52 PM
The main problem the space marines face is they go in expecting something capable of killing civvies but easy prey for a squad of marines, and instead they get swamped from out of nowhere by whatever they are fighting. They lose units right off the bat, and that spooks them. Their morale crashes, panic sets in, and the remnants are easy to pick off. They generally already have excellent gear and training, so short of better effing intel, there isnt much else needed to get them to succeed.

Anxe
2011-11-05, 11:15 PM
Don't really know what sort of input you want, but I think the crew from the 1982 version of "The Thing" actually handled the situation very well. The blood test worked. They continued to use it. Sure they failed their Will saves against fear a lot, but they ended up dealing with the problem (probably).