PDA

View Full Version : Asheron's Call

McDouggal
2011-11-05, 10:49 PM
Who else here plays or has played Asheron's call?

Me, 2004/present.

Feel free to post your stories of the game too.

Starwulf
2011-11-06, 03:00 AM
Who else here plays or has played Asheron's call?

Me, 2004/present.

Feel free to post your stories of the game too.

LOL. This is kind of funny, to see your thread about Asherons Call, when I just posted in the Skyrim thread, mentioning having played it ever so long ago.

I have you beat on start date, but that's about it. I picked up the game when it first came out, so...2000? Maybe 2001, but I'm pretty sure 2000 on the dot. Played it for about a year. It was actually my first MMORPG, and I didn't quite understand the concept back then. It's a shame, because from what I remember of it now, I distinctly recall it as having an awful lot of promise to be a great game.

I actually still have the original game underneath my desk, with discs and original book still in it. None of the expansions though. I was reading about it a short while ago(about 6 months or so ago), and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was not only still around, but actually somewhat thriving with a small community of dedicated players. It got picked up by another company, right?

If I could find the expansions fairly cheap, I'd be kind of tempted to fire it up for a couple of months, just to see how it compares to my memory, and how much better I'd do at it, now that I'm more well versed in MMORPGs.

Tebryn
2011-11-06, 03:09 AM
I remember playing it when it first came out, as well as beta-ing EQ1. How MMO's have changed these days.

McDouggal
2011-11-06, 05:00 PM
Starwulf, there's a free trial option for 14 days available on the website. To just start it up, you can download the ENTIRE game for ~$20, and a monthly fee of 12.95. It's not that hard to do. And we still get patches on about 11 of the 12 months.

Starwulf
2011-11-06, 10:00 PM
Starwulf, there's a free trial option for 14 days available on the website. To just start it up, you can download the ENTIRE game for ~$20, and a monthly fee of 12.95. It's not that hard to do. And we still get patches on about 11 of the 12 months.

Unfortunately, as fun as that would be, I'm on a 26.4k dial-up connection, so downloading an entire game that post '95, is out of the question.

Tebryn
2011-11-06, 10:02 PM
I also wouldn't pay that much for such an old MMO to be honest.

McDouggal
2011-11-06, 11:01 PM
You be missin out. Product placement like in World of Wimps? Nothing. Our monthly fees buy us content each month, not ability to play the game and buy an expansion when it comes out to get more content. We have better graphics (In my biased opinion). I admit they have better animations, but Asheron's Call is by far content wise the largest MMO in the world. We just celebrated our 12th year anniversary of launch, and WE'RE STILL GOIN!