PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3

Kjata
2011-11-06, 06:35 AM
Who else has played this? For those who don't know, this is a mod of FFT where the enemies get better abilities, a lot more item users, and the enemies scale in level with you in the storyline fights. The enemies gear scales with them, so grinding actually makes the game more difficult, rather than easier.

Daggers become incredibly powerful, as they give you more speed. Wizards get a whole new skill set that is vastly more fun than the original. Calculators have been replaced with what are essentially super oracles. Boco is given his own class, which has an incredibly useful status causing ability. This is a huge improvement upon the original (henceforth called vanilla).

For example, in vanilla, you could beat the game without much trouble by training up 3 units to have 2 swords/2 hands, swithching them to knight/lancer and having incredibly resilient killing machines. Then make 1 unit a time mage with good compats with the others, and just casting haste. Adding Orlandu is just a little extra. Or, who could just make Ramza a Squire/Calculator, give him the excalibur, and just cast holy to nuke the field while healing yourself.

In 1.3, the enemies will kick your ass if you try to just outdamage them. They match you in level, gear, and abilities. They outnumber you, and occasionally have more powerful classes than you can unlock. Oracles went from one of the worst to one of the best classes. It stops being a damage race, and starts being a struggle to obtain dominance over the battle.

For those who want to check it out, go to insanedifficulty.com Yes, it's made by INSANE DIFFICULTY. It's not for the faint of heart.

Dragonus45
2011-11-07, 12:56 PM
Im trying this out now, its everything i ever wanted final fantasy to be. I finally feel like i wont be punished for wanting to do cheese grinding.

Kjata
2011-11-07, 07:13 PM
Im trying this out now, its everything i ever wanted final fantasy to be. I finally feel like i wont be punished for wanting to do cheese grinding.

Cheese... grinding?

You mean grinding for ninjas and the like?

Dragonus45
2011-11-07, 07:45 PM
Cheese... grinding?

You mean grinding for ninjas and the like?

Its just a term for when you grind to the cheesiest combos and the like that you possibly can.

Tono
2011-11-07, 07:52 PM
As long as you are jp grinding only and not exp grinding you should be fine.
Unless they've changed it since I last played exp grinding only hurts you in long run.

tyckspoon
2011-11-07, 08:26 PM
As long as you are jp grinding only and not exp grinding you should be fine.
Unless they've changed it since I last played exp grinding only hurts you in long run.

Did they decouple XP and JP actions in 1.3? In Vanilla, at least, you can't JP grind without also XP grinding unless you abuse the level-down traps.. and I'm pretty sure they took those out of 1.3 specifically to prevent that exploit. Unless they also changed the basic functions for gaining XP and JP it's impossible to JP grind without also gaining several levels in anything besides propositions, and those are a limited and inefficient resource compared to vanilla-style JP grinding.

Alaris
2011-11-07, 10:13 PM
I'm currently playing it... infact I have a THREAD here in the gaming forum (see my signature).

It's a very fun mod all things considered, very challenging.

Did they decouple XP and JP actions in 1.3? In Vanilla, at least, you can't JP grind without also XP grinding unless you abuse the level-down traps.. and I'm pretty sure they took those out of 1.3 specifically to prevent that exploit. Unless they also changed the basic functions for gaining XP and JP it's impossible to JP grind without also gaining several levels in anything besides propositions, and those are a limited and inefficient resource compared to vanilla-style JP grinding.

No, they didn't decouple XP and JP Gaining in 1.3. You just have to be careful. There are several methods to gain MINIMAL XP while gaining substantial JP. This applies to both 1.3 and Vanilla.

Tono
2011-11-07, 10:52 PM
Mostly either gaining spillover JP via stone'n the people you want to gain it then firing the units you used to level the job, or using a low-level ally as a punching bag to gain the JP while using counter commands to take out the enemies. At least, those were the ones I remember being the ones I used. Your not gaining no exp in the latter, but depending on when you start it, 99 hits without gaining a level is a rather large sum of jp, spread it out over two or more people and it just grows larger.

Seerow
2011-11-07, 11:15 PM
Level down traps I'm sure also come in handy for the hard mode patch.

I'm not sure if this particular patch has it, but I played one once where the story mode battles were scaled to be 1.5x your level. Trying to play through as anything above like 10-20 got insane very quickly.

tyckspoon
2011-11-07, 11:21 PM
mm, makes sense. I didn't know Petrified units still got spillover. I'd probably use the beat-up-a-new-recruit method if it came down to it, because petrifying a guy and relying only on spillover sounds like a mind-blowingly tedious way to level a job.

Alaris
2011-11-08, 12:17 AM
Level down traps I'm sure also come in handy for the hard mode patch.

I'm not sure if this particular patch has it, but I played one once where the story mode battles were scaled to be 1.5x your level. Trying to play through as anything above like 10-20 got insane very quickly.

You'd think that, but the Level-Down traps were removed. As was the JP-Scroll Glitch and many other things... it's LEGIT-TOWN for 1.3.