PDA

View Full Version : Same Character, Different Game

Zaq
2011-11-06, 01:07 PM
So, let's say that you're starting a new campaign of your favorite game (or at least a game of your choice). Would you ever consider playing a character you've played before? Same name, same theme, same basic build if it's the same system? Here, let's break it down a little bit.

Would you play a character you've played before if that character died or got retired in a previous game?
Would you play such a character if the character was still alive and active, but the campaign died or ended?
Would you play such a character if it was a different system (either a different edition of an old favorite or a totally different system altogether)?
Would you play such a character if you changed the name and a few of the details, but the core (be it build, personality, or whatever's really important to you) was the same?
Would you play such a character if most or all of the people in your new group had played in the game where your original character appeared?
Would it make a difference if few or none of the people in your new group had played in the game where your original character appeared?
Would it make a difference if the game in which your character originally appeared was very recent (perhaps even the most recent game you were in) or not recent at all (even several years ago)?
Would it make a difference if the GM was the same, assuming that they were OK with it?
Would it make a difference if the new game was a one-shot or otherwise not intended to last very long?
Would it make a difference if the campaign were very serious (so you'd have an established personality and backstory that's already perfect) or not very serious at all (so people are less likely to mind if you're ripping yourself off)?
Would it make a difference if your name, motivations, personality, and so on were the same, but the mechanical parts of you were totally different?
Would it make a difference if anyone else in the party was doing the same thing?
If anyone else in the party was doing the same thing, would it make a difference if that person was from the same game as your original character and perhaps even knew them?

These aren't meant to be taken in a vacuum, of course; for example, you might feel that you'd play a recurring character if it were a different system but mostly the same group, but only if you hadn't played that character in a year or so. These are meant to stimulate the thought process, not be a questionnaire that you answer one at a time in order. So, thoughts?

My personal experiences with doing this, if you care (spoilered for personal anecdote; ignore if you like):
The only character I've ever repeated was my Truenamer from D&D 3.5 to D&D 4e. I had retired the character in my 3.5 game because I couldn't deal with Truenaming anymore, but I still loved his personality and backstory. When I started my 4e campaign, the book containing the Runepriest had just come out, and I realized that the Runepriest is basically the 4e Truenamer, and it was a hell of a lot easier to play than the 3.5 Truenamer was . . . so I just said that my character sneezed while saying a truename, tore open a hole in reality, and got sucked into the 4e dimension. Same name, same personality, same basic concept, basically analogous build. About half of the group had seen my old character in play (or at least heard all about them). I'm still playing him, which makes him the longest-running character I've ever had, even accounting for breaks where I backgrounded him to fill a different party role.

I suppose, technically, I've done something similar in my D&D 3.5 game . . . I was playing a dwarf Spirit Shaman in a high-level game. After a few months, we all got really sick of being high level, and decided that some epic Wizard cast the "E6" spell, transmuting the rest of the world to E6 (totally deleveling us from about 16 to about 4 in the process). I changed from being a Spirit Shaman to being an Incarnate, since that's what I wanted to play in the first place (but a high level Incarnate wouldn't have done what the party needed)—and for those of you who don't play 3.5, a Spirit Shaman and an Incarnate are hardly related in the slightest. The character's name, personality, goals, and so on are totally the identical, but the build isn't the same at all. We've half retconned it and half chalked it up to the weird effects of The Great E6ing. From an absolute sense, the two are pretty much different characters, but they're technically the same, such as it is. Kinda.

icefractal
2011-11-06, 02:14 PM
I would repeat a character if either:
A ) I hadn't played that character "enough", either because they died quickly or the campaign ended soon after adding them.
B ) It was a one-shot or short arc and I needed to make a character really quickly.

As for re-using builds, with a different personality and history, I might do that, if one that I'd previously used was a perfect fit for what this game needed. On the other hand, I like the chance to try out new combinations, so this doesn't happen too often. I don't consider this the same as re-using a character though.

Anderlith
2011-11-06, 02:33 PM
Yes, usually starting out with a new system or a new DM, I fall back on to my old favorites.

kieza
2011-11-06, 06:44 PM
I don't get to play that often, but as a DM, I'm often tempted to do the opposite: redo a campaign I've done before, with a new group (of players) and the benefit of hindsight.

The players got two NPCs' names mixed up? Rename one.

Some monsters were a pain to fight? Change them.

A boss wasn't climactic or antagonistic enough? Rework it.

Even though the campaign was pretty good the first time around, I'm pretty sure I could improve with a second rendition.

Anyone else feel this way?

teslas
2011-11-07, 06:16 AM
That's a lot of questions. How about I answer them as a questionnaire--one at a time!

1: Yes, though it'd probably be in a "what if" capacity, not the exact same character brought back to life or out of retirement.

2: Yes, absolutely. You have a solid back-story (assuming your DM is good with it) and experience to draw from in playing your character.

3: Yes, though similar to #1

4: Totally

5: Yes, I feel it would. I'd prefer to not bring back the character unless everyone who was present previously was alright, moreover happy, with it.

6: None and few are very different things.

7: Not really. Maybe you were itching to see it through to a prestige class? Maybe you really enjoyed your character's personality and want to continue?

8: No.

9: I'd be more tempted to do it in a one-shot game if for nothing else than to be lazy.

10: Kinda and kinda. See #1

11: I view a character's mechanics as a very large part of their personality, so that's a big yes in that it would matter. In this instance I might consider a similar back-story, or even have the previous and the current characters be related or from the same place.

12: There are too many possibilities in this question to cover them all.

13: I would almost enjoy this, but like above, there's too many situations to give a simple answer.
All I can say is, it depends. In general I am all for this so long as it's done tactfully. For a slightly more in-depth answer, look above.

I've done it before in situations where none of the players or the DM were aware and I've also done it where one of the players was aware but was not playing a character that would have known mine.

I have found myself falling in love with characters who have died through bad luck or who were in campaigns that simply reached their conclusion (IE: you saved the girl, town, kingdom, and continent! Hooray! Now go retire as a hero even though you're only 29 years old and level 11!). I have really wanted to dive back in and continue their story. I'm sure everyone has done this at one point or another.

Campaigns that take place in isolated locations or what not can really draw and play into almost any back-story. Sometimes, on the other hand, campaigns just don't lend themselves to the back-story of a character.

Retooling all of a person's abilities (and skills), phew. Sorcerer to Bard? Paladin of Freedom to Barbarian? Wizard to Cleric? Wizard to Cloistered Cleric? Swashbuckler/Rogue to Duskblade? There are too many possibilities. Some might work, some definitely won't. If you want a similar back-story and similar mannerisms, you could possibly make the new character the previous one's brother, cousin, son, childhood friend, etc, etc.

You're only limited by your imagination and disgust for bad story-telling (and your DM agreeing to it).

flumphy
2011-11-07, 06:25 AM
I never reuse characters, since I tailor each of them heavily to their campaign. Building characters is enjoyable for me anyway, no matter the system, so I don't consider it a chore to start over from scratch.

The only situation in which I might consider bringing an old character back is if I was in the same group with the same DM with most of the other players also reusing old characters from a previous campaign, but that situation is basically just an extension of the original campaign.

Knaight
2011-11-07, 07:05 AM
Would you play a character you've played before if that character died or got retired in a previous game?
Probably not, as most games I play tend to feature death and retirement as things that happen to finish character stories properly. Once the stories are actually finished, I tend not to go back to it.

Would you play such a character if the character was still alive and active, but the campaign died or ended?
If I didn't get to do what I wanted to do with the character, and got nowhere on their character arc, then yeah, I'm willing to try it again.

Would you play such a character if it was a different system (either a different edition of an old favorite or a totally different system altogether)?
Yes, provided that the implicit settings in the mechanics, and explicit settings as created by the group are close enough for that to work.

Would you play such a character if you changed the name and a few of the details, but the core (be it build, personality, or whatever's really important to you) was the same?
If the core personality and story arc are the same, I'm good with changing it. That said, I also prefer to preserve the aesthetic of the character in a lot of ways.

Would you play such a character if most or all of the people in your new group had played in the game where your original character appeared?
Yes. Most of my group will do the same thing, though we do tend to finish up with our characters to the point desired.

Would it make a difference if few or none of the people in your new group had played in the game where your original character appeared?
No. Not at all.

Would it make a difference if the game in which your character originally appeared was very recent (perhaps even the most recent game you were in) or not recent at all (even several years ago)?
No. Not at all. Though a character might have been forgotten about or pushed away in favor of more recent ones.

Would it make a difference if the GM was the same, assuming that they were OK with it?
No.

Would it make a difference if the new game was a one-shot or otherwise not intended to last very long?
If I'm replaying a character, its because I want to do their story. That said, I do keep a few characters around for one shots, who are more fun to explore personalities of.

Would it make a difference if the campaign were very serious (so you'd have an established personality and backstory that's already perfect) or not very serious at all (so people are less likely to mind if you're ripping yourself off)?
For silly stuff, I tend to create gimmicky characters that aren't very deep, and those aren't worth enough to use heavily. They are fun for a while, but revisiting them is pointless.

Would it make a difference if your name, motivations, personality, and so on were the same, but the mechanical parts of you were totally different?
Not necessarily. To some extent, different mechanical parts are representative of different setting assumptions, which can cause problems, but otherwise - its irrelevant.

Would it make a difference if anyone else in the party was doing the same thing?
No. Though the opinions of the other people on the practice are relevant.

If anyone else in the party was doing the same thing, would it make a difference if that person was from the same game as your original character and perhaps even knew them?
Not at all.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-11-07, 10:13 AM
Short answer is "yes." Long answer is below.

Probably not, unless it was a TPK and the rest of the PCs felt like doing some sort of continuation to the campaign.

I've done this in shades before. Either because real life killed my involvement in the campaign or what have you, but I don't think I've done a full "copypasta," but I have used similar builds from time to time because I never felt like I got the full "effect" out of them.

I'd lean mostly to "no," here, but I could see myself 'porting an old Deadland's pacifist mad scientist of mine to something like a game of Genius.

Haven't done personality before, but as I mentioned, I have "redone" builds either because of certain houserules or just to try something different. To date, I think I've tried to play at least three different Jade Phoenix Mages.:smallfrown:

Yes, but probably only as a nostalgia-induced game. At the very least, I'd probably check with the rest of the group if they were okay if I was to replay said character.

I'd rather prefer it being an all or nothing affair: either it's a fresh start or it's a "let's grab old sheets and have some fun!" In the back of my mind, I'm sill itching to sit down at a table and do a 3.5 Jade Phoenix Mage. I'd also like to pick up my crazy-ass undead viking archivist at some time, too.

Time probably doesn't matter much. I'd probably lean more to older things than newer, but it really depends on the circumstances. Off-hand, I'd like to do something like the above mentioned Deadland's scientist, a JPM, and the viking. The first was a couple years ago, the second small blips across the past five years :smallfrown:, and the last character was made for a one-shot this last summer.

Depends on the GM!:smalltongue: I really enjoyed the Deadland's GM, the JPM would probably be a no, and probably a "yes" to viking character's GM.

I prefer longer, story based games. If I was porting personalities, they would be a must. If I'm porting builds, one-shots or brief, say maybe a month long, string of games would be fine.

Again, I'd prefer serious games in general, so I'm prejudiced for those types rather than comedy-focused games. Most of the time, backstories can be altered for integration in setting X - to a degree, but c'est la vie.

Depends on if I'm focused on the build or not. In the above, I'd prefer to keep the personality roughly the same, motivations can change somewhat, build, too, assuming I'm jumping systems.

I'd prefer it to be an all or nothing thing: in the past, I had a game where two out of the five of us players did 'ports from ADND characters to a 3.5 game that sort of just left a bad taste in my mind. It's probably more the players' faults than anything else, but that still sticks out in my mind as being... annoying.

Yes! I'd prefer it if say, only a fraction of us were doing it that we either all be from the same campaign/game/one-shot or each from something entirely different.

arguskos
2011-11-07, 12:09 PM
Done that before, so I'd hazard a guess at "yes". :smalltongue:

Yes.

No. I design characters based partially around their stories and partially around their mechanical possibilities. System matters for me.

Absolutely not. It's deceptive and pointless. I'd make something new first (and prefer to do such).

Maybe. I'd probably ask first if they'd be cool with it.

Yeah, I'd be more likely to play it then, since they'd never have seen the character and it'd be all new.

Very recent: wouldn't reprise them. It's too early.

Not recent at all: I'm more willing to consider it, but I like new characters.

Assuming they're chill, there's no difference.

Yeah, I likely wouldn't bring them back. If I'm returning to a character, it's to explore them further, not to have a one-shot giggle. I'd more likely make a joke character (Cloud William (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Cloud_William)!)

I lend more to serious characters (though, OOC is quite different), so I'd prefer to use established characters in serious games. Joke characters for joke games (see above).

Absolutely.

Nah. In fact, if two of us had played together before with similar characters and decide to reprise those characters, that'd be GREAT. Perfect character introductions. We'd have IC stories to tell, IC memories to share, etc. That'd be fantastic!

See above. I'm totally 100% on board with it.

Dust
2011-11-09, 01:36 AM
As someone who plays a lot of PBP games, I have a few lovingly-crafted characters that were built for games that died before they started. I tend to re-use these exact characters in follow-up games until the concept has been played.

Strormer
2011-11-09, 01:52 AM

1: Depending on the character, yes.
2: As above
3: Especially if it was a totally different system!
4: No, I'd just make a new character if I'm going to change things.
5: Possibly
6: I would prefer to play the same character with a new group and see what developed this play though, but I could be convinced to continue a character if the campaign was in the same world with the same group, but chronologically later.
7: I'm not sure.
8: I wouldn't bother reusing a character that I cared enough to play again in a one-shot. It would be a waste and one-shots are made for experimental characters so no.
9: I tend to play serious games so I guess I'm not sure how to answer this.
10: My mechanics tend to match my character, not the other way around, so if I change mechanics, I've changed my character.
11: If everyone was playing continued characters, I would join in that plan. If only one or two were, it would depend on their characters' interactions with mine in the past game. If we mattered to each other, such as the game where I ended up married to another PC, then decidedly yes, if not, then most likely no.
12: Depends. If the character from a different game fit in and so did mine then cool. If the other repeat characters clashed with my own, then I would decide to make a new character.

Outside of the specifics though, it really depends on the character. I've got two that I can think of that I'd love to play with again. One just marks the most fun I've ever had with a character, the other the game died far too soon for me to fully explore a character I loved. I do have certain builds that are my go-to's if I need them, but I tend to make a lot of characters so that I have a plethora to choose from when pulling out NPCs, thus I have a collection of ideas that I can go to when building a new PC. I don't really play enough to reuse ideas constantly.
As an interesting side note, the one time I played a series of campaigns that were linked chronologically, I played the family of my first character. Count Faustus, his daughter Noah, and then her lovechild Avila. (A LN Necro-cleric, LG Monk-barbarian, and CG assassin respectively) This family ended up becoming some of my favorite NPCs in my own DMing too, since they each had a campaign to build up their story.

Spider_Jerusalem
2011-11-09, 10:21 AM
Well, I did it three times (with the same character) as a player, and once as a GM.

The character was Bonham the dwarven druid (yes, I know he should be a bard, with that name), who has been part of three different campaigns, all of which died suddenly. Sadly, he is now known in my group of players as Dwarven Druid the Campaign Slayer.

As a DM, I use some of my former characters in the campaign I am currently DMing, and some former characters of the other players in other campaign, also. It usually works well when you DM more than one campaign in the same world.

legomaster00156
2011-11-09, 12:11 PM
Yes, I would reuse a character. I have a few characters I love more than others, who I gladly reuse right down to the names. My favorite was Vasylay, a Chaotic Good Rogue/Sorcerer who was both the greediest being you'll ever see and the most generous (ironic, I know). He was also a devout worshipper of Kord, despite little actual strength. He will, in fact, be an NPC in the campaign I am DM'ing at the moment.

NOhara24
2011-11-09, 01:22 PM
[list] Would you play a character you've played before if that character died or got retired in a previous game?

Died, no. At least without some story fluff about how he was resurrected. And even then, it would have to be legitimate. Retired, I'd play. It would just have to be a good reason.

Yes.

No. Mechanically, the builds wouldn't translate. All of my characters personalities stemmed from their build.

No. If I'm going to play the same character, I'll play the same character. The opposite is also true. I won't ever play two characters of the same class.

Absolutely. I think the best reason for a character to come out of retirement/be played again is when his old adventuring party shows up.

Yes. I wouldn't play a character over again if no one in the party knew who he was.

Not recent at all would be best. I'd rather a character sit for awhile before I pick him/her back up.

Yes. Same GM, same characters, same players is ideal.

No. A one-shot would probably be cool, though.

My characters already have established personalities and backstories. So serious is better.

Yes. See above. My characters personalities stem from their builds. It would be impossible.

Yes. I'd have to have a couple people playing old characters, too.

Yes. Like I said before, the ideal scenario would be that his old adventuring party is getting back together for one last job, or something of the like.

lunar2
2011-11-09, 01:45 PM
Definitely. Some characters, you just get attached to. Their build may change across systems, but their personality lives on forever.

Razera: originally an Aasimar Cleric 9/ Fist of Raziel 6. She's an avatar of the trope "Good Is Not Nice", basically (although I'd never heard of tropes when i made her). She has testified against her closest friends in court, has acted as judge, jury, and executioner in another trial, and singlehandedly brought down 3 big (black, 1 wyrm, 2 mature adult) dragons at once. that was all in her first campaign.

Peristo: originally a human cleric (Reincarnated as a gnome, after a string of other things). he's true neutral at first, falls under the influence of some powerful force of evil, and then redeems himself in some way. His first story, he ended up as a cleric of pelor. in other incarnations never made it past neutral, but they all defeated, or helped defeat, the evil force that corrupted them (a balor in the first story, Dr. Gero in a dragonball MUD).

TheThan
2011-11-09, 01:52 PM
simple answer: yes.

slightly less simple answer: If I've created a character that I really enjoy playing, there's a very good chance I will recycle that character some other time.

Karoht
2011-11-09, 02:12 PM
I might recycle a character from a previous game. Recycle can mean many things. I might recycle the 'character' and personality. I might recycle the statblock and feat choices and build. I might recycle both. No matter what I will always be upfront with the DM and inform her/him of the recycling, be it the build or the personality or both. Either way, I always provide the character sheet for review prior to the first session, so this usually isn't an issue.

If I had a full character with some pretty impressive equipment and wealth, I wouldn't expect all of that to be on the character. If the DM said I could keep all of it I would be thrilled. If the DM said I could keep what I wanted, within Wealth By Level, or get all new stuff within Wealth By Level, I'd more than okay with that. If I was told I could keep the character, but I was buck naked and penniless and lying in a ditch, well, I'd give the DM the benefit of the doubt but I wouldn't be to thrilled with that. If the DM went through my inventory with an eraser, and handed me back the sheet with signifigantly less gear, odds are I would still be okay with it as long as I kept the important stuff like my weapon and armor.

But, if the DM outright says no, or encourages me to do something else, I do. I'm usually the first to harp on players who play the same thing over and over. We have a friend who has a 2 to 1 ratio of Sorcerors to Everything Else he ever plays.

Velaryon
2011-11-09, 02:25 PM
As a general rule, I will reuse characters only if I am unsatisfied with the game in which I got to use them originally. If that campaign had a satisfactory story and good resolution, then I tend to set the character aside, as I feel their story is complete. The only exception to that is if we decide to do a sequel campaign, with all or at least most of the same characters.

But when a campaign ends suddenly, is generally unsatisfying, or never gets off the ground in the first place? Absolutely I will reuse a character, and have done so on more than a few occasions. Generally it's within the same rule system and universe, though not always, and even then I will take the opportunity to tinker with the build and equipment if I no longer like what I have.

For example, in Star Wars Saga I have a Zeltron gunslinger by the name of Marruc. He wears a specially modified suit of Ubese armor, and is deadly with his heavy blaster pistol. He's also a total slave to his desires and impulses, leading to lots of womanizing, recreational drug use, or simply ignoring the mission at hand to stop and play a hand of sabacc or a game of grav-ball or some other sport.

He's half tank, half comic relief, and one of the more fun characters I've designed. But the campaign I originally built him for fizzled out when one of the players moved across the country, and the GM left a few months later as well. So I rebuilt him at (a higher level) for another campaign, using material from books that had come out in the meantime, but that campaign only lasted for one session. Now he and two other PCs (one from the original game, another from the second one) have shown up as NPCs in a current campaign I'm playing in, so we decided to separate them out into a side-story and play those characters in a campaign alongside the main one, with another player GMing and working alongside to keep the two games in continuity with each other.

I've also got a drow Necromancer/Cleric of Velsharoon/Mystic Theurge that seems to be cursed. I've brought him into two or three campaigns that immediately ended a session or two thereafter, through no fault of my own as far as I know. I've messed with his feats and especially magic items in between (why the heck did I buy him a Harrow Rod? I have no idea), but the personality stays the same each time.

Finally, I will often use some of my old characters as NPCs in my own campaign, if the campaign they are from is in the same universe. This has given me opportunity to trot out several of my (and other players') old characters either for cameos or simply as gossip if stories of their exploits have reached this land. Then there was an epic campaign where our characters ended up as demigods, so I ruled that those characters exist in my continuity and can be worshipped, but so far no one has taken me up on it.

deuxhero
2011-11-09, 03:00 PM
I'd reuse a character from a finished campaign if the level range and setting allows it, but I will make them a veteran,

Silma
2011-11-11, 09:38 PM
I'd certainly use the same character again and again if I found it fun at the time. So far I've never done it, but me and my friends have agreed that after a few years (when we'll have tried many different characters) we'll play a campaign in which we'll all choose our favorite characters from all the previous campaigns.

Telonius
2011-11-11, 11:42 PM
Would you play him if he died?
I would not play him if he died.
Would you play him if the campaign fried?
I just might play him if the campaign fried.
Would you play him in a different game?
I would not play him in a different game.
Would you play him if his name's the same?
I would not play him if his name's the same.
Would you play him if everyone knew?
I would not play him if everyone knew.
Would you play him if everyone's new?
I would not play him if everyone's new.
Would you play him if he was way in the past, or yesterday?
I would not play him if was way in the past or yesterday.
Would you play him if the DM said okay?
I would not play him if the DM said okay.
Would you play him in a one-shot or just for kicks?
I might play him in a one-shot or just for kicks.
Would you play him if your group's rears all contained sticks?
I would not play him if my group's rears all contained sticks.
Would you play him with a different build, but the same dude?
I would not play him with a different build, but the same dude.
Would you play him if everyone was doing it too?
I might play him if everyone was doing it too.
And if everyone knew him from before, too?
I might play him if everyone knew him from before too.

Jay R
2011-11-12, 11:56 PM
Generally, no. A character is composed of his rolls, the DM's world description, books I've recently read, and ho I'm feeling that season.

Having said that, I brought the paladin Darkstar to a new campaign when I moved away from the old one, and used the dwarf King Eiddileg in a one shot, both in the late seventies -- primarily because I already knew who they were.

In super-hero games, I've run two different low-level Superman versions, most recently in 2005. But there were clear differences between the characters, origins and backgrounds of Van Zimmerman (Hyperion) and Calvin Elliot (Paragon).

I created Dr. MacAbre for a Champions campaign that died after a single game in the nineties, and re-started him for another around 2008.

With those exceptions, I have not repeated a character from 1975 to the present. But my retired characters often show up as NPCs.

Lord Raziere
2011-11-13, 12:17 AM
Yea, I pretty much transferred over a bunch of high-powered characters I used to play in freeform games to Exalted character versions.

one of them is Kalectro Stelvanna, who used to be Will Stelvanna who used to be this storm-power user in this post-apocalyptic urban fantasy game who is really overprotective of his sister and is really rebellious.

problem is that its hard getting Kalectro's storm powers, rebelliousness and such to match to an Exalt type.

also Zarakkan, a ten-thousand year old blue inventor-wizard dragon, who I'm trying to find a way of incorporating into Exalted in some form.

currently the closest I've got is them both being Infernals.

got more though. too lazy to say right now, but you can ask me whenever you want.