PDA

View Full Version : Need Tomb of Horrors Advice (Players' perspective)

Swiftx71
2011-11-06, 05:02 PM
More or less a follow-up on a dead thread, I just wanted to check in one last time with some lingering questions and to ensure that my build/equipment is fine before we throw ourselves at the mercy of the 9238749283492 "No save, you die" traps.

Here's the rules the DM gave us regarding making our character sheets:
3.5 rules. Psionics are banned. We all start at level 10. We all start with 49,000gp and can spend no more than 1/4th of that (12,250gp) on a single item.

So far our party consists of a Scout/Ranger (me), a Rogue, a Cleric, a Bard, a Wizard, and a Warlock/Favored Soul.
I am our party's main trapfinder since the Rogue isn't as experienced with the game, but he's around to back me up with it.

My build is as follows:
Scout 5/Ranger 5 (Swift Hunter), the Scout 5 is for Evasion.
Catfolk
Neutral Good, worships Ehlonna.

STR 16 (+3)
DEX 24 (+7)
CON 15 (+2)
INT 18 (+4)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 14 (+2)

Items:
+2 Holy Elvencraft Darkwood Composite Longbow (Mighty +3) 9700gp
[Relic] Raptor Arrow 6006gp
Adamantine Greatsword 3002gp
Dagger +1 302gp

Shadow Silk Leather Armor 1750gp
Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting 4000gp
Collar of Umbral Metamorphasis 10800gp
Collar of Perpetual Attendance 2000gp (I will interchange this with Umbral Metamorphasis depending on what I need most at the time.)
Anklets of Translocation 1400gp
Darkweave Silk Pantaloons 108gp

Handy Haversack 2000gp
Antitoxin x4 (200gp)
Cable Spool 175gp
Expandable Pole 11' x2 10gp
Flint + Steel 1gp
Flour Pouch x5 0.5gp
Masterwork Thief Tools 100gp
Healing Salve x10 500gp
Ipecac (10 doses) 50gp
Masterwork Potion Belt 60gp
Sack x3 0gp
Shapesand 100gp
Sprayer 15gp
Waterskin 1gp
Silk Rope 10gp
Holy Water 25gp
Glow Chalk 25gp
Marbles 0gp
Mask of Sweet Air (MIC version) 2000gp
Blessed Bandage x3 30gp
Inquisitive's Kit 300gp
Cloak of Elvenkind 2500gp

Serpent Tongue Arrow x100 15gp
Dragonsbreath Arrow x20 50gp
Fey Arrow x3 891gp
Fountainhead Arrow x2 612gp

262gp remaining.
We have someone with an immovable rod already, so the only things I'm kind of stuck without that I wanted are Bracers of Archery and a Ring of Force Shield.

As for feats, here is my outline:
Swift Hunter
((Character Level #. Class Level #. BAB from class [total BAB] Feats, etc.))
1. Scout 1. BAB 0 [0] Point Blank Shot
FLAW: Precise Shot
2. Scout 2. BAB +1 [1]
3. Scout 3. BAB +2 [2] True Believer
4. Ranger 1. BAB +1 [3] ACF: Arcane Hunter (replaces 1st Favored Enemy)
5. Scout 4. BAB +3 [4] BONUS FEAT: Swift Hunter, 2nd Favored Enemy (Undead)
6. Ranger 2. BAB +2 [5] Darkstalker; Ranger Combat Style=Rapid Shot
7. Ranger 3. BAB +3 [6]
8. Ranger 4. BAB +4 [7] ACF: Distracting Attack (Replaces animal companion to allow ranged attacks to 'distract' enemies so that allies can flank them.)
Note: I was thinking about taking the Spiritual Guide ACF instead of Distracting Attack--assuming ToH doesn't count as a "civilized area"--so that both my guide and my Unseen Servant could help search for traps.
9. Ranger 5. BAB +5 [8] Woodland Archer [Tactical]
10. Scout 5. BAB +3 [8] Evasion

I also had a little be of concern over our Warlock/Favored Soul. I personally don't know much of anything about those classes, but I'd like to relay some advice from you guys to him if possible. The way things are (which are subject to change), he feels confident in playing as our party's tank/damage sponge. His stats are as follows:

STR 14
DEX 18
CON 14
INT 12
WIS 10
CHA 17

59 HP
22 AC

4 Fortitude Save
6 Reflex Save
9 Will Save (12 vs enchantments)

Resistance 5 to acid, cold, and electricity
5 DR / cold iron + 5 DR / magic

He also wanted to add:
"Dark one's own luck and entropic warding invocations are very defensive."

So anyway, thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Bashings? If you have any advice for the information provided above or tips on surviving Tomb of Horrors in general, please feel free to share. We're going to need as much help as we can get <.<;

hex0
2011-11-06, 09:56 PM
9238749283492 "No save, you die" traps.

Then, I think you want Scout 5/Trapsmith 5. You'll eat traps for breakfast. Literally. You'll disarm every trap and you will not fail. Edit: I'm suggesting either you or the Rogue pick up Trapsmith 5. :smalltongue:

Edit: Is the Warlock/Favored Soul going into Eldritch Disciple? And why is his WIS so low?

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-06, 10:07 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163734

That thread is full of spoilers, so be careful though...

jiriku
2011-11-06, 10:13 PM
I have run ToH. Your build is very strong, and well-suited to the challenge ahead. If you are clever and cautious, you have a good chance of surviving. If the rest of your party is well-prepared, your DM might not even TPK your party like I did to mine :smallcool:. The warlock is going to be bait, though. My advice to him would be "tank away, but have a backup character."

Swiftx71
2011-11-07, 06:44 AM
As tempting as it is, I think I'd rather avoid spoilers until after I've played it once o.o

I have run ToH. Your build is very strong, and well-suited to the challenge ahead. If you are clever and cautious, you have a good chance of surviving. If the rest of your party is well-prepared, your DM might not even TPK your party like I did to mine :smallcool:. The warlock is going to be bait, though. My advice to him would be "tank away, but have a backup character."

Alright, good. I have a couple questions though.
1. Thoughts on Distracting Shot vrs. Spiritual Guide?
2. Do several days pass in-game time while playing ToH usually?
3. Is it necessary for a trapfinder to carry a shield with them (such as a Tower Shield, even if they're not proficient) to hold when disarming traps?

edit!-

Then, I think you want Scout 5/Trapsmith 5. You'll eat traps for breakfast. Literally. You'll disarm every trap and you will not fail. Edit: I'm suggesting either you or the Rogue pick up Trapsmith 5. :smalltongue:

Edit: Is the Warlock/Favored Soul going into Eldritch Disciple? And why is his WIS so low?

Sorry, I overlooked your post by mistake. I just woke up /_x;
Some people mentioned Trapsmith before, but the main reason I went with Swift Hunter was so I could bypass the Undead's resistance to precision attacks without relying on spells/magic. (I'm deathly afraid of Anti-magic fields in this dungeon. Almost afraid as much as my deepest, darkest nightmare for a DnD campaign: Tightrope over deep chasm/lava/spikes/swarm of nasty creatures/all of the above. Roll Balance or die. :\)

I'll definitely suggest this to our Rogue though who doesn't mind just picking up wands of Gravestrike.

hex0
2011-11-07, 07:35 PM
I'll definitely suggest this to our Rogue though who doesn't mind just picking up wands of Gravestrike.

I'd suggest Rogue 2/Factotum 3/Trapsmith 5 for the utility of having both Evasion and Brains over Brawn.

If Psychic Rogue is available, suggest that instead.

Yora
2011-11-07, 07:47 PM
Step 1: Take a dagger or short sword.
Step 2: Throw yourself into it.

Probably the easiest way to get through that dungeon.

Swiftx71
2011-11-07, 09:23 PM
Step 1: Take a dagger or short sword.
Step 2: Throw yourself into it.

Probably the easiest way to get through that dungeon.

I get the same feeling sometimes ._.;