PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted 2nd Edition CMA] Sonic Rainboom Style (Yes I'm Serious)

Lix Lorn
2011-11-06, 05:21 PM
Sonic Rainboom Style
Sonic Rainboom Style is a bit of an oddity, having been created long ago by an insane Lunar. Mad with loss and woe, she saw a world of joy and hid within it. She took on her spirit form, a winged horse, and invented a world of happiness and joy that she spoke of to all who would listen. This martial art, she claimed, was the primary tool of the ‘weather ponies’.

While this origin is dubious, the efficacy of the art is well known. It relies on speed and power, shock and awe to obliterate its opponents in a rain of colour. It is favoured by the few exalted members of the children of the air, and has been taken on by several infernal Scourges. Some of Hegra’s higher souls have been known to take the art, due to its similarity to their progenitor’s aesthetic.

Form Weapons/Armour: Natural melee weapons and the cudgel, mace, sledge and tetsubo, as well as similar bludgeoning weapons and their artifact equivalents are form weapons for this style, which allows up to medium armour.

Ability: Sonic Rainboom Style is linked to speed, agility and athletics. A prospective student must have an equal number of dots in Athletics as the minimum Martial Arts score for any charm they take.

Sonicboom: The Sonicboom keyword is similar to the Adorjani Velocity keyword. A Sonicboom charm functions only if the user has taken a dash action in this action, or the one before.

Ten Seconds Flat
Cost: 2m, Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 3, Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Combo-OK, Stackable
Duration: One action
Prerequisite Charms: None
The Sonic Rainboom is faster than sound and faster than wind. For as long as she can bear to move, none can catch her.
This charm supplements a normal dash action. On the action they use this charm, they may dash reflexively whenever they could take a move action and as a DV -0 action without need of a flurry. In addition, they add their essence to their dashing speed. This charm may be activated more than once, to a maximum number of activations equal to the lower of their Essence and the number of charms they have of Sonic Rainboom style. (This second limitation goes away . Each activation after the first adds another (Essence) to their dashing speed.

As The Lightning
Cost: (+3m or +3m, 1wp), Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 3, Type: Permanent
Keywords: None
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Ten Seconds Flat
The Sonic Rainboom surpasses noise and surpasses light, travelling through eternities in the blink of an eye.
This charm permanently improves its prerequisite. By paying a surcharge of three motes when activating one or more uses of Ten Seconds Flat, all activations of it made on that action have their durations increased to one scene. By also paying one willpower, the charm becomes indefinite. (Using this charm means that the motes are committed for the duration)

Can’t Catch Me
Cost: 2m, Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 3, Type: Reflexive (Step 2)
Keywords: Combo-Ok, Obvious, Sonicboom
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: As The Lightning
The foe of the Sonic Rainboom cannot strike her, for he cannot catch her.
Invocation of this charm replaces the user’s Dodge+Dexterity pool for purposes of calculating her dodge DV with her dashing speed. (Normally Dexterity+6, but counting increases from charms). The difference between her normal pool and this pool counts towards dice added by charms and is limited by pools as normal.
In addition, if the attack misses, the user may move a number of yards away equal to the difference between her DV and her attacker’s attack successes.

20% Cooler
Cost: 2m, Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 3, Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Combo-Ok, Sonicboom
Prerequisite Charms: As The Lightning
The Sonic Rainboom is dramatic, flourishing and supremely powerful, moving faster and striking harder than any can imagine.
An attack supplemented by this charm counts any die that shows 10 on its damage roll as two successes.

Sonic Rainboom Form
Cost: 6m, Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 3, Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-Basic, Emotion, Form-Type, Obvious, Sonicboom
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: Can’t Catch Me, 20% Cooler
The Sonic Rainboom blurs, a trail of rainbows behind her every movement. Those that watch her are simply amazed.
Firstly, in any action which benefits from the Sonicboom keyword, the user’s attacks and other combat actions gain a -1 speed bonus. (To a minimum speed of 3)
Secondly, anyone who sees the martial artist while they use this form is subject to unnatural mental influence. The Martial artist rolls Charisma, with extra successes equal to their martial arts, against the MDDV of those who see her. If she succeeds, they must pay one willpower or gain an intimacy of awe for the martial artist. Those who gain this intimacy suffer a +1 speed penalty on any attack or combat action made in opposition to the martial artist. This is a social emotion effect, and cannot be triggered by the same martial artist more than once in a day.

Gale’s Caress
Cost: 4m, Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 4, Type: Supplemental
Prerequisite Charms: Sonic Rainboom Form
The Sonic Rainboom attacks in the blink of an eye, too fast for her target to dodge.
The supplemented attack replaces Dexterity+(ability) on her attack roll with her dashing speed. The difference between her normal pool and this pool counts towards dice added by charms and is limited by pools as normal.

Harm the Clouds?
Cost: 3m, Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 4, Type: Reflexive (Step 7)
Keywords: Combo-Ok, Obvious
The Sonic Rainboom is a creature of the skies, of weather and of wind. She cannot be harmed.
This charm increases the user’s natural lethal and bashing soak to match her dash speed (Normally Dexterity+6, but counting increases from charms), and gives her hardness equal to half her total soak, rounding down. This soak is not compatible with armor.

Storm and Blizzard’s Might
Cost: 4m, 1wp, Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 4, Type: Supplemental
The Sonic Rainboom is not a mere mortal, to strike a pathetic blow. She strikes with the fury of the elements, of frost and lightning.
The supplemented attack replaces strength on her damage rolls with half her dash speed. (Normally Dexterity+6, but counting increases from charms) The difference between her normal damage pool and this pool counts towards dice added by charms and cannot be higher than her dice cap.

Sonic Rainboom
Cost: 5m 1wp, Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 5, Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Combo-Ok, Extra-Action, Really Freaking Obvious
Prerequisite Charms: Gale’s Caress, Harm the Clouds?, Storm and Blizzard’s Might.
This charm, the one the style is named for, is a phenomenal burst of power and energy. By travelling at terrific speed, the user creates an attack that strikes all the foes nearby. This can represent them moving fast enough to attack them all, creating a shockwave to strike them all, or anything else you can imagine that fits the aesthetics of the style.
The user makes a single attack and resolves it against as many targets as he likes, as long as he could reach each one in a single dash action. This attack is unblockable without a perfect parry.
Finally, if the user is in Sonic Rainboom Form, using this charm triggers a second emotion effect equal to that exerted on seeing the form. The effects stack.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-06, 06:02 PM
When I get the Exalted book and figure out the rules, I MUST look at this. Also, I will make this known in the Ponyxalted thread in the Finding Players section.
EDIT: Unless you made it specifically for that. I'm on to you. >.>

One thing, however, is already clear. It needs more Guile's Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjkM_y-Wps). :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2011-11-06, 06:14 PM
Oh, Guile's theme...

I didn't make it for that game, but it was the STs fault that I made it. xD

Winged Cat
2011-11-06, 07:32 PM
Technically, if you need dots in Athletics equal to Martial Arts, shouldn't that be listed under Minimums alongside Martial Arts? (And yes, that applies to mechanical "if X is a Minimum then..." effects too. Athletics-affecting Charms should, logically, apply to this form just like Martial-Arts-affecting Charms.)

The biggest problem I see is in As The Lightning. Technically, you could pay motes & WP during downtime, then recover them but still be under its Indefinite effects.

One possibility: have As The Lightning let you commit the motes instead of merely paying them, at no extra cost otherwise; the effects remain so long as the motes remain committed. Dedicated practitioners might have the motes committed at all times.

Also, you might want keywords "Form-type" and "Combo-Basic" for Sonic Rainboom Form.

Lix Lorn
2011-11-06, 07:59 PM
Technically, if you need dots in Athletics equal to Martial Arts, shouldn't that be listed under Minimums alongside Martial Arts? (And yes, that applies to mechanical "if X is a Minimum then..." effects too. Athletics-affecting Charms should, logically, apply to this form just like Martial-Arts-affecting Charms.)
It would be, but convention with Martial Arts that already exist is that they don't.

The biggest problem I see is in As The Lightning. Technically, you could pay motes & WP during downtime, then recover them but still be under its Indefinite effects.

One possibility: have As The Lightning let you commit the motes instead of merely paying them, at no extra cost otherwise; the effects remain so long as the motes remain committed. Dedicated practitioners might have the motes committed at all times.
I think it's standard for Indefinite that they're committed.

Also, you might want keywords "Form-type" and "Combo-Basic" for Sonic Rainboom Form.
Oh, good point.

Winged Cat
2011-11-06, 09:54 PM
It would be, but convention with Martial Arts that already exist is that they don't.

What other canon styles require multiple abilities, that don't list all the required abilities under Mins?

I think it's standard for Indefinite that they're committed.

Better to note this explicitly, no? Else readers might think the WP has to be committed too - and committed WP is highly unusual.

Terazul
2011-11-06, 10:23 PM
What other canon styles require multiple abilities, that don't list all the required abilities under Mins?

Falling Blossom Style: 2 dots in Dodge.
Night Breeze Style: 2 dots in Thrown.
White Veil: 2 dots in Socialize, and 2 in Larceny, Presence, or Stealth.
Crimson Pentacle Blade: 2 dots in Melee.
Elven Blade: 2 dots in Melee.
Dreaming Pearl Courtesan: 2 dots in Performance, Presence, or Socialize.
Righteous Devil: 2 dots in Archery, with the suggestion to keep it equal to MA.
Silver-Voiced Nightingale: 2 dots in Performance.
Citrine Poxes of Contagion: 3 dots in Medicine.

...And the list goes on. No really, it's incredibly common. It is always listed in its own section, Complimentary Abilities, immediately following the Form Weapons section, as Lix has it listed above. Though some bold to make it stand out with the keyword couldn't hurt. :smallwink:

DracoDei
2011-11-07, 01:41 PM
I have never read an Exalted rulebook, but I hear a lot about the system, and I am familiar with your... other source material (I am not ashamed, I just don't want to spoil it for anyone who isn't yet familiar with it).

Sonic Rainboom needs to increase strength for purposes of carrying capacity (or increase carrying capacity directly), and allow allies, especially unconscious allies, to be counted as enemies for purposes of grappling them.

Also, you need to refluff Citrine Poxes of Contagion to use chiropractic and acupuncture techniques, if it doesn't already. Not finger-strikes to pressure points, actual tiny needles, perhaps thrown by the handful across a battle-field at an ally to remove an affliction if you can't reach them as quickly as you would like (or would that be a stunt? Not familiar with the system, remember?). Or perhaps create a parallel art to Citrine Poxes of Contagion with no offensive maneuvers (or maybe some social attacks that are useful in-battle), since the character in question (the yellow one, not the blue one) is generally thought of as being a Lunar(can't remember caste) or a Zenith Solar rather than a Sidereal if I remember correctly.

The following is a somewhat anonymized version from the review of some of the "other source material" from this TinyURL LINK (http://tinyurl.com/7tx2ju9) that I created.
Yellow Exalt: "YIELD, URSINE SCUM!"
Barry the Bear: *roars!*
Purple Exalt: "What?"
Yellow Exalt: *Back-Breaking <redacted> Kick!*
Barry the Bear: *Takes massive damage!*
Yellow Exalt: *Flexibility-Straining Leg Pull Technique!*
Barry the Bear: *cries uncle!*
Yellow Exalt: *Merciless <redacted> Stomping Method!*
Barry the Bear: *The horror! The horror!*
Yellow Exalt: *Neck-Snapping of Psychotic Violence Kata!*
Barry the Bear: *I can haz ded now?*
Purple Exalt: "...I am going to step away now and erase this scene from my mind in a last-ditch attempt to hold on to a few SAN points."
Yellow Exalt: "There, there, Barry. Aren't you glad you came now? I've fully mastered the Path Of The Chiropractor Style, you know."
Barry the Bear: *Enjoys the massage.*

Lix Lorn
2011-11-07, 02:31 PM
Better to note this explicitly, no? Else readers might think the WP has to be committed too - and committed WP is highly unusual.
...I don't see why, but okay.

...And the list goes on. No really, it's incredibly common. It is always listed in its own section, Complimentary Abilities, immediately following the Form Weapons section, as Lix has it listed above. Though some bold to make it stand out with the keyword couldn't hurt. :smallwink:
Good idea. xD

I have never read an Exalted rulebook, but I hear a lot about the system, and I am familiar with your... other source material (I am not ashamed, I just don't want to spoil it for anyone who isn't yet familiar with it).

Sonic Rainboom needs to increase strength for purposes of carrying capacity (or increase carrying capacity directly), and allow allies, especially unconscious allies, to be counted as enemies for purposes of grappling them.
There's already a charm for the former in athletics, and I don't think anything stops you from grappling allies as is. xD

Also, you need to refluff Citrine Poxes of Contagion to use chiropractic and acupuncture techniques, if it doesn't already. Not finger-strikes to pressure points, actual tiny needles, perhaps thrown by the handful across a battle-field at an ally to remove an affliction if you can't reach them as quickly as you would like (or would that be a stunt? Not familiar with the system, remember?). Or perhaps create a parallel art with no offensive maneuvers (or maybe some social attacks that are useful in-battle), since the character in question (the yellow one, not the blue one) is generally thought of as being a Lunar(can't remember caste) or a Zenith Solar rather than a Sidereal if I remember correctly.

The following is a somewhat anonymized version from the review of some of the "other source material" from this TinyURL LINK (http://tinyurl.com/7tx2ju9) that I created.
Yellow Exalt: "YIELD, URSINE SCUM!"
Barry the Bear: *roars!*
Yellow Exalt: *Back-Breaking <redacted> Kick!*
Barry the Bear: *Takes massive damage!*
Yellow Exalt: *Flexibility-Straining Leg Pull Technique!*
Barry the Bear: *cries uncle!*
Yellow Exalt: *Merciless <redacted> Stomping Method!*
Barry the Bear: *The horror! The horror!*
Yellow Exalt: *Neck-Snapping of Psychotic Violence Kata!*
Barry the Bear: *I can haz ded now?*
Purple Exalt: "...I am going to step away now and erase this scene from my mind in a last-ditch attempt to hold on to a few SAN points."
Yellow Exalt: "There, there, Barry. Aren't you glad you came now? I've fully mastered the Path Of The Chiropractor Style, you know."
Barry the Bear: *Enjoys the massage.*

Pft. Doable, but I avoid SMAs like the plague. No pun intended.

Lix Lorn
2011-11-07, 02:34 PM
Double post.
http://i43.tinypic.com/1e4b2c.png

Weimann
2011-11-07, 07:30 PM
Form Weapons/Armour: Natural melee weapons and the cudgel, mace, sledge and tetsubo, as well as similar bludgeoning weapons and their artifact equivalents are form weapons for this style, which allows up to medium armour.Be aware that the artifact versions of the tetsubo is the Goremaul and the dreaded Grand Goremaul, the number one killstick in the game. Just so you know.

Ten Seconds FlatLooks good.

As The Lightning
By also paying one willpower, the charm becomes indefinite. (In this case, the motes are committed for the duration)Strictly speaking, the motes should be committed in every version of the charm, since they are longer than Instant.

Can’t Catch MeI'm sorry, but isn't your movement speed just your Dexterity, while your DDV calculates from (Dexterity+Dodge+Essence)/2? It's highly likely to be a net reduction, unless I'm totally mistaken? Or does it use the improved speed from Ten Seconds Flat and As The Lightning?

20% CoolerLooks good.

Sonic Rainboom FormNitpick: I think it would be more correct to say "in any action which satisfies the conditions of the Sonicboom keyword", since only charms actually benefits from it. That's a small thing, though, and I understood what you meant.

The charm description should include this universal clause: As a Form-type Charm, the first time the martial artist uses a Charm with a Flaw of Invulnerability during the same action Sonic Rainboom Form is activated, the cost of that Charm increases by two points of Willpower. It also has no Dynamic Form Transition conditions; is this intended?

Gale’s CaressAgain with the replacement effects. See Can't Catch Me; same applies.

Harm the Clouds?Looks good.

Storm and Blizzard’s MightAaaand replacement. See Can't Catch Me.

(Guardian of the Skies)Looks... well, depends on your game. In any kind of optimized game, that's game breaking. That said, they are actively working to remove (or at least severely decrease the support for) that kind of game play right now. Hard to comment on.

Sonic RainboomLooks good, but I have a feeling I'm missing something.

All in all, funny style. Good take on the theme, and it should be quite playable with a couple of tweaks.

DracoDei
2011-11-08, 10:20 AM
There's already a charm for the former in athletics,
Good enough.

and I don't think anything stops you from grappling allies as is. xD
Except that Sonic Rainboom specifies attacking "enemies".

Lix Lorn
2011-11-08, 11:09 AM
Be aware that the artifact versions of the tetsubo is the Goremaul and the dreaded Grand Goremaul, the number one killstick in the game. Just so you know.
This is true, but a twig is a fatal killstick as it is, so it's only degrees of paste on the floor. Here's hoping for 2.5.

Strictly speaking, the motes should be committed in every version of the charm, since they are longer than Instant.
...is that true? I wasn't aware that that was the case.

I'm sorry, but isn't your movement speed just your Dexterity, while your DDV calculates from (Dexterity+Dodge+Essence)/2? It's highly likely to be a net reduction, unless I'm totally mistaken? Or does it use the improved speed from Ten Seconds Flat and As The Lightning?
It uses your improved speed. Originally it used your Dash speed, but I worry that that might be TOO good.

Nitpick: I think it would be more correct to say "in any action which satisfies the conditions of the Sonicboom keyword", since only charms actually benefits from it. That's a small thing, though, and I understood what you meant.
Okay.

The charm description should include this universal clause: As a Form-type Charm, the first time the martial artist uses a Charm with a Flaw of Invulnerability during the same action Sonic Rainboom Form is activated, the cost of that Charm increases by two points of Willpower. It also has no Dynamic Form Transition conditions; is this intended?
I really don't like that first part, as due to the flaws in the system, it's a flaring sign saying DON'T USE A FORM TYPE.
As for dynamic form transitions, I'm not really sure enough how they work to add them.

Looks... well, depends on your game. In any kind of optimized game, that's game breaking. That said, they are actively working to remove (or at least severely decrease the support for) that kind of game play right now. Hard to comment on.
I care very little about super-optimised gameplay. The day when I can say this charm is unnecessary is a happy one.

Looks good, but I have a feeling I'm missing something.

All in all, funny style. Good take on the theme, and it should be quite playable with a couple of tweaks.
Thanks.

Good enough.

Except that Sonic Rainboom specifies attacking "enemies".
...it does, doesn't it. Well I can change that!

Weimann
2011-11-08, 08:17 PM
...is that true? I wasn't aware that that was the case.I'm 95% sure that if the Charm effect is longer than Instant, the motes are committed by default, and you must state it explicitly if they're not. This is one of the big things with spells: they cost a buttload, but it's a one-time thing that need no commitment, and the effects are some of the most ongoing in the game.

That said, I could be wrong. Too late for me to check now, though. Too tired.[/quote]

It uses your improved speed. Originally it used your Dash speed, but I worry that that might be TOO good.Okay, so at Dexterity 5, Essence 3, using Can't Catch Me would give you DDV 7. Assuming Dodge 5, that's... your normal score. Provided you've spent Essence on other charms first, as well as satisfy the Sonicboom Keyword. Well, at least it's not overpowered :smallbiggrin:

Granted, the benefit will grow as Dodge decreases and Essence increases, but you still need to invest in Dodge to keep your caps up and actually get to reap the benefit. I'd call it a TMA effect (and a pretty convoluted one at that what with still using the replaced Ability to calculate caps).

Maybe Can't Catch Me could just replace your DDV with your movement speed, straight off? That'd give you a ridiculous DDV for an action (14 in the case above), but it'd still be no good against undodgables and also be beatable by spending motes on your attack. It's like... a small perfect, only not actually perfect? Think about it.

Gales Caress, at Essence 4, gives you +7 dice for 4m with a Sonicboom Keyword, provided you have Martial Arts at 5, which you will have. That's basically a cheaper Excellency. I can groove with that.

Storm And Blizzard's Might... yeah, this is strong. On the other hand, no worse than a goremaul, as you say yourself. Solar Hero Style can rack up literally a couple hundred damage dice. Just be aware that you might need to redesign it depending on what 2.5 brings. Oh, and damage rolls don't have caps.

I really don't like that first part, as due to the flaws in the system, it's a flaring sign saying DON'T USE A FORM TYPE.I don't know what they thought either, but apparently it's now how Form Type charms work.

As for dynamic form transitions, I'm not really sure enough how they work to add them.Dynamic Form Transitions allow you to assume a form reflexively and as a non-charm use (but not for free) once you satisfy a either a general condition, which I can't remember right now but should be in the Scroll of Errata or one of a few specific conditions, defined in the Form Type charm. They should be thematic to the style at hand, so in your case, it could be "has taken Dash actions for 2 consecutive rounds" or so. They are usually easy to fulfil. Most styles seem to have 2 conditions. It's no requirement, but it's a neat thing that makes it easier for people to get Forms up and switch between them.

Lix Lorn
2011-11-08, 08:25 PM
I'm 95% sure that if the Charm effect is longer than Instant, the motes are committed by default, and you must state it explicitly if they're not. This is one of the big things with spells: they cost a buttload, but it's a one-time thing that need no commitment, and the effects are some of the most ongoing in the game.

That said, I could be wrong. Too late for me to check now, though. Too tired.
...my knowledgeable friend agrees. Will edit.

Okay, so at Dexterity 5, Essence 3, using Can't Catch Me would give you DDV 7. Assuming Dodge 5, that's... your normal score. Provided you've spent Essence on other charms first, as well as satisfy the Sonicboom Keyword. Well, at least it's not overpowered :smallbiggrin:
Ah, but one thing you're forgetting: Stackable.

Storm And Blizzard's Might... yeah, this is strong. On the other hand, no worse than a goremaul, as you say yourself. Solar Hero Style can rack up literally a couple hundred damage dice. Just be aware that you might need to redesign it depending on what 2.5 brings. Oh, and damage rolls don't have caps.
...ack. I'll make THIS use a cap, cause otherwise it is too good.

I don't know what they thought either, but apparently it's now how Form Type charms work.
Blech. Thanks for telling me, but I'm going to officially ignore that.

Dynamic Form Transitions allow you to assume a form reflexively and as a non-charm use (but not for free) once you satisfy a either a general condition, which I can't remember right now but should be in the Scroll of Errata or one of a few specific conditions, defined in the Form Type charm. They should be thematic to the style at hand, so in your case, it could be "has taken Dash actions for 2 consecutive rounds" or so. They are usually easy to fulfil. Most styles seem to have 2 conditions. It's no requirement, but it's a neat thing that makes it easier for people to get Forms up and switch between them.
@_@

Weimann
2011-11-08, 09:07 PM
Ah, but one thing you're forgetting: Stackable. I had in fact taken that into account. Okay, let's have a look at this.

CCM = Can't Catch Me, ATL = As The Lightning.

Assumptions: Dexterity 5 (you will want this for your speed anyway), Essence 3. ATL is always up and at full stacks.

Normal DDV = (Dexterity+Dodge+Essence)/2 = (8+Dodge)/2

For Dodge 0, that's DDV 4.
For Dodge 1, that's DDV 5.
For Dodge 2, that's DDV 5.
For Dodge 3, that's DDV 6.
For Dodge 4, that's DDV 6.
For Dodge 5, that's DDV 7.

CCM DDV = (Dexterity+Essence^2)/2 = (5+9)/2 = 14/2 = 7.

So, yes, the charm does become marginally useful if you don't have any Dodge. But look. You can either pay 6m to get a Scene-long ATL up and then 2m per dodge attempt for CCM in order to get DDV 7, or you could get it passively from just buying dots in Dodge. What would you do?

Also, consider that in order to get this charm, you had Martial Arts 3, which gives you PDV (8+weapon defense bonus)/2. You still get PDV between 4 and 5 from that, depending on which form weapon you use (I only checked unarmed and the normal and grand goremauls since they are in the Core), so the actual increase in defensive ability from CCM is only actually +2 or +3. For 6m initially and then 2m per dodge.

I hold by my statement. It needs a buff.

Winged Cat
2011-11-08, 11:06 PM
Normal DDV = (Dexterity+Dodge+Essence)/2

CCM DDV = (Dexterity+Essence^2)/2

"Replaces Dodge + Dexterity" means
CCM DDV = (Dexterity+Essence^2+Essence)/2
doesn't it?

One possible buff: your DDV becomes your speed, rather than just replacing Dodge + Dexterity. Notably, this gets rid of that /2.

Tavar
2011-11-09, 12:29 AM
Hmm... let's see.

Ten Seconds Flat: A bit powerful. I'd compare this to Death Dealing Journey, and the CMA charms flat out beats the Primordial charm. Considering that one's the first charm of the style, and the other's the second charm in the tree, at absolute best, they could be equal, and even then it woudl get some odd looks.

Note that one of the issues is that this charm pretty much makes flurry breakers useless, which in Exalted combat is very, very dangerous. For Example, look at the Snake style reach expander: this can fufill a similar purpose, and has many other uses besides. The charm get's worse, however, if you add in it's expansion charm, As the Lightning.

Can't Catch Me currently doesn't really work. Also, as speed isn't a general term in exalted, you should explain it.

20% Cooler: I think it's alright, though I'm not sure of any similar effects. The only real worry I have would be slightly increased lethality.

Sonic Rainboom Form: I think the Rainboom martial artist should have to beat the subjects MDD. Maybe make it [Charisma+Presence], with Martial Arts extra dice added on. Otherwise, OMG good. Changing an action's speed is extremely good.

Harm the Clouds: Again, you should explain what you mean by speed, as it is not a standard term. Also, is the hardness equal to 1/2 the new soak, or 1/2 the difference between the old soak and the new one?

Storm and Blizzard's might: Again, you should explain what you mean by speed, as it is not a standard term.

Sonic Rainboom: I think this should be an Extra Action charm. And, again, their needs to be some additional requirement for the mental effect.

Weimann
2011-11-09, 08:21 AM
"Replaces Dodge + Dexterity" means
CCM DDV = (Dexterity+Essence^2+Essence)/2
doesn't it?Oh, yeah, that's right. Good catch! I'll see how that works out.

One possible buff: your DDV becomes your speed, rather than just replacing Dodge + Dexterity. Notably, this gets rid of that /2.That's basically what I'm suggesting, yes.

Lix Lorn
2011-11-09, 10:52 AM
Hmm... let's see.

Ten Seconds Flat: A bit powerful. I'd compare this to Death Dealing Journey, and the CMA charms flat out beats the Primordial charm. Considering that one's the first charm of the style, and the other's the second charm in the tree, at absolute best, they could be equal, and even then it woudl get some odd looks.
Yes, but it has higher prereqs. DDJ needs E2, this requires E3, MA 2 and Athletics 2. The first two charms together give a weaker version of the first two Adorjan charms.
Also bear in mind that DDJ is indefinite. On purchase, TSF is for just one tick.

Note that one of the issues is that this charm pretty much makes flurry breakers useless, which in Exalted combat is very, very dangerous. For Example, look at the Snake style reach expander: this can fufill a similar purpose, and has many other uses besides. The charm get's worse, however, if you add in it's expansion charm, As the Lightning.
Bwuh? How does it make flurry breakers useless?

Can't Catch Me currently doesn't really work. Also, as speed isn't a general term in exalted, you should explain it.
I thought speed was obvious, but I guess I can spell it out. Why does it not work?

20% Cooler: I think it's alright, though I'm not sure of any similar effects. The only real worry I have would be slightly increased lethality.
There's an Abyssal scenelong and a lunar multiple-mode charm that give this effect.

Sonic Rainboom Form: I think the Rainboom martial artist should have to beat the subjects MDD. Maybe make it [Charisma+Presence], with Martial Arts extra dice added on. Otherwise, OMG good. Changing an action's speed is extremely good.
I don't like throwin in random other attributes and abilities... but it makes sense. I'll do that.

Harm the Clouds: Again, you should explain what you mean by speed, as it is not a standard term. Also, is the hardness equal to 1/2 the new soak, or 1/2 the difference between the old soak and the new one?
Half her new soak. Will edit.
Also meant to make it not stack with armor.

Sonic Rainboom: I think this should be an Extra Action charm. And, again, their needs to be some additional requirement for the mental effect.
It probably should, shouldn't it... thanks.

(Maths)
It replaces dodge+dexterity. Assuming you spend 3m to use it three times at E3, that replaces Dodge+Dex with Dex+9. If you use it just twice, that's still Dex+6. If you REALLY think it needs buffing, I can make it Dash speed, which I believe is, as standard, Dex+4, which would make even an unenhanced use of it give you an effective Dodge of 4.

Weimann
2011-11-09, 02:31 PM
Yeah, let's see here what that makes.

For Dodge 0, that's DDV 4. Capped CCM DDV = 7.
For Dodge 1, that's DDV 5. Capped CCM DDV = 8.
For Dodge 2, that's DDV 5. Capped CCM DDV = 9.
For Dodge 3, that's DDV 6. Capped CCM DDV = 9.
For Dodge 4, that's DDV 6. Capped CCM DDV = 9.
For Dodge 5, that's DDV 7. Capped CCM DDV = 9.

CCM DDV = (Dexterity+Essence^2+Essence)/2 = (8+9)/2 = 17/2 = 9

Yeah, that at least makes an improvement when you have Dodge 5. In effect, it's a cheaper Excellency, which, again, I can groove with, but I'm still not sure it's proper CMa level.

Do note how caps interact with the actual outcome of the Charm, though, just for reference.

Lix Lorn
2011-11-09, 03:06 PM
Yeah, let's see here what that makes.

For Dodge 0, that's DDV 4. Capped CCM DDV = 7.
For Dodge 1, that's DDV 5. Capped CCM DDV = 8.
For Dodge 2, that's DDV 5. Capped CCM DDV = 9.
For Dodge 3, that's DDV 6. Capped CCM DDV = 9.
For Dodge 4, that's DDV 6. Capped CCM DDV = 9.
For Dodge 5, that's DDV 7. Capped CCM DDV = 9.

CCM DDV = (Dexterity+Essence^2+Essence)/2 = (8+9)/2 = 17/2 = 9

Yeah, that at least makes an improvement when you have Dodge 5. In effect, it's a cheaper Excellency, which, again, I can groove with, but I'm still not sure it's proper CMa level.

Do note how caps interact with the actual outcome of the Charm, though, just for reference.
Why does it cap at nine? Is that the DV hard cap I've heard people mention?

Tavar
2011-11-09, 09:06 PM
Yes, but it has higher prereqs. DDJ needs E2, this requires E3, MA 2 and Athletics 2. The first two charms together give a weaker version of the first two Adorjan charms.
Also bear in mind that DDJ is indefinite. On purchase, TSF is for just one tick.

Bwuh? How does it make flurry breakers useless?

The mins are low enough that they don't actually matter. If a character wants Essence 3 or Martial Arts 2, there's no reason for them not to have it. Unless the minimum essence is above 4, or the ability requirements are above 5, then it isn't that difficult to get.

Also, I'd argue that this charm is, in many ways, better. Sure, you need to spend more motes when you want to use it, but you don't have to buy the charm again each and every time you use it.

As for Flurry breakers, almost all of them work by putting distance between you and your opponent. This nix's that. Not overpowered, but a powerful effect. Especially for an entry charm in a CMA.

I thought speed was obvious, but I guess I can spell it out. Why does it not work?
It's clear from reading the discussion, yes, but at first? I thought you meant weapon speed. Plus, do you mean the regular move speed? The Dashing Speed? How far they went this tick? Etc.

As for not working, the others are answering that.

I don't like throwin in random other attributes and abilities... but it makes sense. I'll do that.
Except, it's not random. The Charm pretty much describes a presence attack, and since it's so straightforward, Manipulation doesn't make sense. And, you should probably make it Charisma+Presence.

Lix Lorn
2011-11-10, 12:59 PM
The mins are low enough that they don't actually matter. If a character wants Essence 3 or Martial Arts 2, there's no reason for them not to have it. Unless the minimum essence is above 4, or the ability requirements are above 5, then it isn't that difficult to get.

Also, I'd argue that this charm is, in many ways, better. Sure, you need to spend more motes when you want to use it, but you don't have to buy the charm again each and every time you use it.
Those are better points. What would you suggest I do?

As for Flurry breakers, almost all of them work by putting distance between you and your opponent. This nix's that. Not overpowered, but a powerful effect. Especially for an entry charm in a CMA.
...I still don't see how this has any effect on flurry breakers at all.

It's clear from reading the discussion, yes, but at first? I thought you meant weapon speed. Plus, do you mean the regular move speed? The Dashing Speed? How far they went this tick? Etc.

As for not working, the others are answering that.
I guess I can spell it out MORE...

Except, it's not random. The Charm pretty much describes a presence attack, and since it's so straightforward, Manipulation doesn't make sense. And, you should probably make it Charisma+Presence.
I do not want to put a presence based element in a martial arts charm. I'm loathe enough to put a Charisma based element in.

Tavar
2011-11-10, 06:00 PM
Those are better points. What would you suggest I do?

...I still don't see how this has any effect on flurry breakers at all.
Not sure what I'd do at the moment.

As for Flurry Breakers, If you can reflexively dash so far, then you can follow someone trying to break a flurry.

I do not want to put a presence based element in a martial arts charm. I'm loathe enough to put a Charisma based element in.
That's okay, but then you need some roll. Charisma isn't enough, unless you only want the ability to effect Extra's and the like.

And, I'm not sure why you're so against it. Especially since the description basically reads: this is a Presence based Social attack.

Lix Lorn
2011-11-10, 07:19 PM
...I'm pretty sure you can't reflexively do ANYTHING on someone else's action. Same as you can't make an action between yours using excellencies.

And it's charisma, plus MA successes.

Fortuna
2011-11-10, 07:29 PM
You can reflexively do stuff anytime. The Excellencies are unusual in that they're basically an extension of the idea of supplemental: they can enhance any action, but they can't make a new one.

Tavar
2011-11-10, 08:07 PM
...I'm pretty sure you can't reflexively do ANYTHING on someone else's action. Same as you can't make an action between yours using excellencies.
Random person's answered this. Not only that, but technically this allows the person infinite speed since it doesn't carry the clarification that it replaces the normal move action(which, it should be noted, can be done on other people's ticks).

Lix Lorn
2011-11-10, 08:15 PM
Oh.
I should just have copied the text of DDJ really. I'll edit that.