PDA

View Full Version : Magic Weapon Fusion?

Getsugaru
2011-11-06, 05:36 PM
Is it possible to fuse two Magic Weapons together, like a Raptor Arrow and a Rod of Surprises?

marcielle
2011-11-06, 06:39 PM
Tie them together with string? I don't really think there are any rules for this sort of thing...

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-06, 06:45 PM
What you want to do is break down the prices of each weapon and figure out what the cost of a specific aspect of a weapon. Then apply it to other items as such. Don't forget that each Masterwork Arrow costs an additional 6 gp. In the case of Raptor Arrows, it might be better to look at the cost of 50 of them to break down the prices easier.

Getsugaru
2011-11-06, 06:49 PM
What you want to do is break down the prices of each weapon and figure out what the cost of a specific aspect of a weapon. Then apply it to other items as such. Don't forget that each Masterwork Arrow costs an additional 6 gp. In the case of Raptor Arrows, it might be better to look at the cost of 50 of them to break down the prices easier.

The reason I'm asking is because a character of mine has a Rod of Surprises that was enchanted with the Morphic quality, giving him access to EVERY MELEE WEAPON IN THE GAME, and the Raptor Arrow has returning and, in a way, indestructibility. It also, if correctly worshiped, has Auto-Bane quality no matter what enemy you face. I want to give his Rod of Surprises this, so as to have the ultimate weapon; sure, it can't become a ranged weapon, but it can become thrown weapons like spears.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-06, 06:58 PM
The problem is that Raptor Arrows are a relic and AFAIK they don't follow the normal pricing rules and even then your DM is perfectly justified in disallowing to let you craft such an item (which BTW is quite powerful).

And as always custom items are extremely DM depending.

OTOH I recall that the general rule for combining magic item was adding up the prices of both items and multiplying that number by 1.5

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-06, 06:58 PM
The reason I'm asking is because a character of mine has a Rod of Surprises that was enchanted with the Morphic quality, giving him access to EVERY MELEE WEAPON IN THE GAME, and the Raptor Arrow has returning and, in a way, indestructibility. It also, if correctly worshiped, has Auto-Bane quality no matter what enemy you face. I want to give his Rod of Surprises this, so as to have the ultimate weapon; sure, it can't become a ranged weapon, but it can become thrown weapons like spears.

So you want Returning and Auto-Bane. Give your Rod Returning. Theres half of it. I'm AFB so could you list the price of the Raptor Arrow and all abilities it has? I could probably give you a price break down. But your almost going to have to make it a Relique to do this.

Getsugaru
2011-11-06, 07:20 PM
So you want Returning and Auto-Bane. Give your Rod Returning. Theres half of it. I'm AFB so could you list the price of the Raptor Arrow and all abilities it has? I could probably give you a price break down. But your almost going to have to make it a Relique to do this.

Straight from MiC.
RAPTOR ARROW
[RELIC]
Price (Item Level): 6,006 gp (10th)
Body Slot: — (held)
Caster Level: 12th
Aura: Strong; (DC 21) conjuration
Activation: — (ammunition)
Weight: —
This arrow is carved from a straight piece of ash and fletched with feathers from a predatory bird. Its head is curved at the tip, like a raptors beak.

Raptor arrows harness the power of the falcon to skewer their prey When you fire a raptor arrow, it functions as a +1 arrow with a variant of the returning quality if you are neutral good, lawful good, chaotic good, or neutral. At the beginning of the round after it is fired from a bow, a raptor arrow flies through the air and restrings itself on the bow from which it was fired. Unlike most ammunition, raptor arrows are not destroyed when used.
Relic Power: If you have established the proper divine connection, a raptor arrow also gains the bane property (DMG 224) against the targeted foe. To use the relic power, you must worship Ehlonna and either sacrifice a 4th-level divine spell slot or have the True Believer feat.
Lore: The first of these arrows (reputedly a set of five) gained relic status when Ehlonna used them to slay a great wyrm green dragon that was rampaging through a primeval forest (Knowledge [religion] DC 20)
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Sanctify Relic, summon monster I.
Cost to Create: 3,000 gp (plus 6 gp for masterwork arrow), 240 XP, 6 days.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-06, 07:30 PM
Ok, so a set of 50 would cost 300,000 gp. A +1 Returning Weapon would cost 8,000 gp. So the Relic power costs 292,000 gp. Double check the price of Epic level weapons that might translate into a solid +X number for pricing purposes and if you could actually do it pre-epic. IIRC, a +10 weapon would cost 200,000 so its probably greater than +10 and thus impossible without breaking WBL in half, taking a sledghammer and a true Ubercharger to it, and then hit blend.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-06, 07:52 PM
Something like this?
http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/gamespyarchive/strips/2006-07-27.jpg

Relics have some extremely odd (i.e. lower-than-standard) pricing, due to the whole must-worship-and-pay-a-cost-to-use catch. Besides that, only melee and thrown weapons can have the Morphing quality, and it's an arrow, so the two appear to be incompatible with each other. Assuming it could ever work, here's how I'd do it:

Raptor Javelin: 300,000 gp (6,000 gp x50) plus Masterwork Javelin
Add Morphing: I have no idea how the above is priced, but I'd say they decided to make it +10, x1.5, so this would end up being an epic +11 weapon (2,420,000 gp), x1.5 for 3,630,000 gp.
Add Rod of Surprises property: Its 6,000 gp price looks like a +1 weapon +4,000 gp, so added on as an additional property at +50% would add 6,000 gp to the above price.

Total price for a Morphing Raptor Rod of Surprises: 3,636,301 gp.
As a DM I'd probably take off the epic x10 cost modifier though, so more like 369,301 gp total.