PDA

View Full Version : Bestow Curse options

Angry Bob
2011-11-06, 06:21 PM
I've got a witch that specializes in debuffing. Bestow Curse has written right in the description that you can make up other stuff for it to do. I want to generate a list of fair benchmarks for other things it should, by its spell level, be able to do, without obviating other(non-sucky) specific-purpose spells.

What I mainly want is a way to strip exotic defenses away so the rest of my party can attack something normally, but other ideas are welcome, preferably something the spell can't already do with its default three options. I'll be discussing all of these ideas with my DM, and he has the final say on what's usable or not.

legomaster00156
2011-11-06, 07:03 PM
Well, let me see what I can pull up in my brain... (I use the main effects of the spell as a basis for the power of the spell.)

* Every round that the target attacks someone, the target takes 1/two caster levels nonlethal damage.

This wouldn't be too powerful, except that the duration of the spell is permanent. Basically, this enforces the enemy to keep a pacifist viewpoint of the world, on pain of... pain.

* When the target dies, he will rise in 1d6 days as an uncontrolled zombie or skeleton. This may only be used on creatures with appropriate anatomy. If, in this time, Sanctify Corpse (or a similar effect) is used on the creature's dead body, the curse is broken. The spell gains the [evil] descriptor.

The ultimate insult to a creature is to turn their corpse into an undead. This nearly guaruntees that they will be rising again a few days after their deaths, unless they are aware of the curse and take appropriate countermeasures.

* If the target dies and is resurrected, he gains an additional permanent level to the usual number for the spell used for resurrection. Upon death, the soul is fully aware of the curse, and will factor in their additional weakness when considering whether to accept a resurrection.

This serves no purpose other than making incentive for a dead enemy to stay dead. And even if they come back, they're another negative level weaker.

Hirax
2011-11-06, 07:07 PM
Book of Vile Darkness has a list of other options. My favorite is the victim treats natural 20s as natural 1s.

Keinnicht
2011-11-06, 07:13 PM
* [B]If the target dies and is resurrected, he gains an additional permanent level to the usual number for the spell used for resurrection.

I apologize if you're not a native English speaker, but I feel like you should know that this sentence is written in a manner so confusing that it borders on unintelligible. I would've gone with:

"If the target dies and is resurrected, he gains a negative level. This negative level stacks with any negative levels the spell already causes."

Re'ozul
2011-11-06, 07:16 PM
I love the options the BoVD presents.

Animals refuse to be within 5 feet of the target and do not
respond to the target’s commands or requests.
- now afflict the druid

HunterOfJello
2011-11-06, 07:17 PM
Creative and non-combat uses are usually the most fun. I dislike trying to invent new combat that aren't in the PHB or BoVD. Some interesting things I thought of before were:

-Dwarf cursed throws up whenever he tastes beer.

-Elven Bard can only walk around while dancing.
-Elven Bard can only communicate while singing with a bass tone.

-Half-Orc Barbarian wets himself whenever he is angry or rages.

-NPC follower attempts to use any and every magical item put in his hands.

Thinking of fun psychological curses to use on people to mess up their heads and screw with their lives is the best.

legomaster00156
2011-11-06, 07:18 PM
I apologize if you're not a native English speaker, but I feel like you should know that this sentence is written in a manner so confusing that it borders on unintelligible. I would've gone with:

"If the target dies and is resurrected, he gains a negative level. This negative level stacks with any negative levels the spell already causes."

It made sense to me, but yes, your wording is better than mine was. It should be noted, though, that it is a permanent negative level, as opposed to a standard temporary one.

The best curses, if you ask me, are ones that don't inflict a mechanical torment at all. They instead afflict the target with something else. For example, all cooked food suddenly tastes like troll vomit.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-06, 07:18 PM
I love it cause you can use to it to advance age categories (as per the BoVD) or was it the Greater Bestow curse?

Either way it is an interesting way to deal with melee threats and also can be a buff to yourself (as advancing age categories improve your mental stats)

Zeta Kai
2011-11-06, 07:25 PM
The Hourglass of Zihaja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177072) project has its own Greater Bestow Curse (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10553806#post10553806), along with an entire Curse domain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10202911#post10202911), which includes other curse-type spells.

Angry Bob
2011-11-06, 07:26 PM
I realize I can do non-combat curses, but those are unlikely to be denied by the DM. The purpose of this discussion is to establish a baseline of in-combat power for alternatives to Bestow Curse's defaults options.

Diefje
2011-11-06, 07:46 PM
DC 10 Balance or fall over
50% spell failure
Cannot move faster than your speed with heavy encumbrance, can't run or charge
Cannot see/hear beyond 30ft
DC 10 Will or believe what you are looking at is not real

Dr.Epic
2011-11-06, 07:53 PM
-The character can not use any words with the letters "i" or "e" in them or take 1 point of damage for every use of either letter.

-Character loses use of their right leg during daylight hours, and their left leg when the sun is down.

legomaster00156
2011-11-06, 08:02 PM
-The character can not use any words with the letters "i" or "e" in them or take 1 point of damage for every use of either letter.

"The-ow-basi-ow-lisk-ow-is-ow-going-ow-to eat-ow-you! Watch out for it's-ow-teeth-ow!"

Of course, this curse only works on creatures that speak Common. It's still cool, though.

Jack_Simth
2011-11-06, 08:19 PM
I love the options the BoVD presents.

Animals refuse to be within 5 feet of the target and do not
respond to the target’s commands or requests.
- now afflict the druid
... if a Druid can't pass a Will save, he's not much of a Druid to begin with (Wisdom is their primary stat, and they've got a Good base Will progression).

Of course, if you do manage to land it, the poor Druid doesn't have anything on his spell list that matches one of the options in how to remove a Bestow Curse....

I've got a witch that specializes in debuffing. Bestow Curse has written right in the description that you can make up other stuff for it to do. I want to generate a list of fair benchmarks for other things it should, by its spell level, be able to do, without obviating other(non-sucky) specific-purpose spells.

What I mainly want is a way to strip exotic defenses away so the rest of my party can attack something normally, but other ideas are welcome, preferably something the spell can't already do with its default three options. I'll be discussing all of these ideas with my DM, and he has the final say on what's usable or not.

Considering that one of the options is "Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.", you've... probably got close to a blank check. Remove DR? Well, for most critters, that's significantly less of a drawback than is losing 50% of it's lifespan. Remove immunity to one specified element? Likewise (for the most part).