PDA

View Full Version : DC Universe Online: Actually pretty good if you manage to log in.

Ogremindes
2011-11-06, 08:52 PM
So, DCUO went free-to-play last week. And was totally overwhelmed by the new users. Anyone here part of that mass of people or a player from before?

I'm playing as a bow-wielding shapeshifter called Skinchanger. My fighting strategy has been to fight with my bow until that stops being enough, then turn into a gorilla and bash some heads in. Has worked pretty well.:smallsmile:

Kris Strife
2011-11-06, 08:54 PM
Anyone here who plays DCU Online, when you make your Weapon Style choice, can you choose what weapon you actually use, or are you stuck with the demo weapon? I.e, does choosing one handed weapons force you to use an axe?

Cross posting from Steam thread. :smalltongue:

Basically, I want to use either a one handed or two handed sword, is that possible or do I have to use a one-handed ax/two handed hammer?

Ogremindes
2011-11-06, 09:21 PM
Cross posting from Steam thread. :smalltongue:

Basically, I want to use either a one handed or two handed sword, is that possible or do I have to use a one-handed ax/two handed hammer?

There's costume unlocks for swords, I know that much.

king.com
2011-11-06, 09:25 PM
So, DCUO went free-to-play last week. And was totally overwhelmed by the new users. Anyone here part of that mass of people or a player from before?

I'm playing as a bow-wielding shapeshifter called Skinchanger. My fighting strategy has been to fight with my bow until that stops being enough, then turn into a gorilla and bash some heads in. Has worked pretty well.:smallsmile:

Got the game when it came out, hit level cap over a week and never touched it again. Lots of great content but they tried to charge me $20 a month to grind end gamecontent. No....thankyou. Guess the f2p makes it more attractive, how does it work by the way?

Ogremindes
2011-11-06, 09:34 PM
Got the game when it came out, hit level cap over a week and never touched it again. Lots of great content but they tried to charge me $20 a month to grind end gamecontent. No....thankyou. Guess the f2p makes it more attractive, how does it work by the way?

There's three 'levels' of-- y'know what, here's the link: Gameplans (http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/).

Anteros
2011-11-06, 09:42 PM
I played for a month or two, but there was literally almost no one playing. Eventually I got bored of playing a single player mmo. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

ShadowySilence
2011-11-07, 10:32 PM
I have been playing for about a week now and I think it truly is one of the better f2p mmos out there (to start with at least, we'll see how higher levels go). The one downside is, like the thread's title states, it can be a pain logging in at times.

Maxios
2011-11-07, 11:48 PM
My guy is named Firegizmo, and is on the US PvE server. My PC's main power is Fire (duh), my guy's travel power is Acrobat, and my guy's mentor is Batman. He's currently level six.

A (Mildly) Funny Story!
I tried running the Scarecrow Halloween Event a few days ago. As you know, whenever a person enters the boss room a gate come down so everyone is supposed to run in at the same time.
Well this one guy with superspeed kept running in on his own, locking everyone else outside the fight. He would promptly get killed five seconds later, respawn, and continue the process.

Pie Guy
2011-11-09, 05:55 PM
I like this game, but is it normal for people to camp low level quests and just murder people? Metropolis is a war zone!

Ogremindes
2011-11-09, 06:34 PM
I like this game, but is it normal for people to camp low level quests and just murder people? Metropolis is a war zone!

Is that on PvP? There do seem to be a bunch of bitter oldbies around the forums.

Pie Guy
2011-11-09, 09:01 PM
Is that on PvP? There do seem to be a bunch of bitter oldbies around the forums.

In MY day, people didn't sit around and keep villains from turning civilians into demons!

Edit: Also, yes, PvP. What's the point of having both villains and heroes if one doesn't mercilessly try to gut the other?

H Birchgrove
2011-11-09, 09:36 PM
I've installed but not logged in yet. Is it very different from City of Heroes: Freedom?

Any suggestions on how to avoid lagging when playing this type of game?

BTW, is it OK to reply to the Free PC Games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213195&highlight=%22City+Heroes%22) thread, or is it old enough to be considered necromancy?

Thanks in advance, sorry for asking so much.

ShadowySilence
2011-11-09, 10:10 PM
I think it is far better than City of Heroes: Freedom. I prefer the art style, the character creator, and just the feel of the game in general (plus the fighting style is pretty interesting). This is just my opinion though, so the only way to know for yourself is to try it out! :smallbiggrin:

To truly answer your question, is it different, I would say it is quite different.

For avoiding lag, there really is no way to do it but turn down the graphics a little and bear with it. They seem to only have one server (from what I can tell) that houses everybody, so it gets very, very laggy. I have noticed that as time goes on the lag has been getting better though, and the game doesn't seem to crash out of nowhere anymore.

Worira
2011-11-10, 12:59 AM
Turning down graphics isn't going to affect lag.

And you can temporarily swap over to a PvE instance if a particular quest spot is camped too hard, using the Phase Instancer in the HQ.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-10, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys! :smallsmile:

Khosan
2011-11-10, 08:56 AM
I've messed around with it a bit. Some thoughts so far:

The character creator doesn't seem very...diverse. Champions Online definitely has the leg up there. DCUO's just lacking a lot of options that Champions gives to you, like the character model sliders, layered clothing, more 'slots' to put costume pieces in, and so on. Also, the limited color palette just annoys the bejeezes out of me. You pick three colors and you're only allowed to use those three colors for all your gear.

Combat's okay. I do kind of like it, but I am a bit annoyed by the lack of, again, diversity. Your hero or villain can have one of six (or seven with that Green Lantern thing) basic power sets, and then you have a 'choice' of weapon (but you'll eventually have enough skill points to fill out all the weapon trees, so I'm told) to use as your primary means of combat. It's more actiony than what most people might be used to, and it's okay so far, but I don't feel like rolling an alt is something I really want to do.

Some of the F2P limitations are really obnoxious too. Specifically the cap on how much money you can have at any given time. If you go over that cap, the excess cash goes into a bank account that you have to pay real cash to get access to. If the cap were sufficiently high I wouldn't mind as much, but I've already hit the cap on the way to level 10. I can raise the cap a little bit (from 1500 to 2000) if I spend more than $5 in the store, but there's no other way to raise that cap. That's obnoxiously prohibitive.

GeekGirl
2011-11-10, 07:12 PM
I played the game when it launched, it was fun but not worth the money; also all my friends stopped playing. I just re-installed it, haven't again yet. It would be cool to play with some of you guys if we are on at the same time. I'll post again once i have a character name.

horus42
2011-11-14, 03:27 PM
I've enjoyed it so far (only at level 6). One thing I really like is the familiarity of the setting. For example, it's not some generic Fantasy where your quests are "Go to Jridixalopajdaij and save Nlaswevok from the evil wizard Blorglag" My first questions are "Where? Who? Why should I care?" But if it's "Go to Gotham and save Commissioner Gordon from The Joker", I click with that, understand the threat, and want to help.

Also I like being what you would get if you took Green Arrow and Captain America and smashed them together.

Crossblade
2011-11-17, 12:52 PM
I started playing last night. I wanted to play with my brother, but he plays on PS3, only figured out the separate servers after 20 of standing beside and running around Gordon and Robin in Gotham.

My computer is 6 years old though, and only has a single processor, so the game keeps crashing on me. I've turned down all the graphics except character detail to no avail. Anyone have any other ideas for crash solutions, given the above?

I'm on the PC PvP server, level 4, Lunarflare. Batman mentor, Martial Arts, Acrobatic, Gadgets powers.

Fredaintdead
2011-11-18, 08:46 AM
Well, I've been playing for the last few days, and the only technical issues I've had is the launcher being slow and crashing from time to time, but generally I can get in pretty quickly.

As for what I'm playing:
Searing Shadow
Villain - Meta - Level 18

Skills:
Dual Wield - Double Throw, Whirlwind Strike, Flying Spin Attack, Whirlwind Overstrike, Stunning Swipe, Ultra Flurry, +12% Critical Attack Damage.
Flight - Supersonic, Dive Bomb

Powers:
Fire - Immolation tree - Immolation, Flashpoint, Meteor Strike, Fiery Weapon, Reignition, Consume Objects, Inferno.
Iconic Powers - Heat Vision, Sonic Cry.

So yeah, I'm finding that taking a truckload of AoEs helps in this game. They seem to do the same damage as the single target stuff, cost less power, have nice after effects, and are more equipped for handling multiple enemies. However, I am finding that the Iconic Powers I take kind of suck, Sonic Cry's cast-time for example is INSANE, in the time it takes to cast, I may as well just drop every last one of my AoEs.

Psyren
2011-11-18, 10:38 AM
A (Mildly) Funny Story!
I tried running the Scarecrow Halloween Event a few days ago. As you know, whenever a person enters the boss room a gate come down so everyone is supposed to run in at the same time.
Well this one guy with superspeed kept running in on his own, locking everyone else outside the fight. He would promptly get killed five seconds later, respawn, and continue the process.

What a well-designed game.

(obligatory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXb1Lr4G3c))

MonarchAnarch
2011-11-18, 01:55 PM
I tried this starting yesterday. Got up to lvl 6, and its pretty fun. Its nice that its not linear like CoH wasn't, just seems like a better engineered game.

On the PvE server
Name: Usurp
Bow/Mental/Acrobatic

I'll be on saturday afternoons/night, friday night, and some evenings. Look me up. :)

Crossblade
2011-11-18, 02:25 PM
Brother, who plays on PS3, wants me to convince my gf to ask her brother (who's away in europe) to let her keep her bro's ps3 at my place, so I can play on the PS3 with him.

We shall see how that goes...