PDA

View Full Version : Njord Völund (IC)

Karthas077
2011-11-06, 09:51 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6052/6320644654_48417d3a35_b.jpg

The sounds of battle echoed across the mountainside. The contingent of giants that Urok's squad of men had been battling had withdrawn behind icy fortifications. Occasionally a large frozen boulder would careen through the air before either smashing into the ground with a heavy thump or occasionally colliding with one of the mammoth riding barbarians. As Urok turned Shevanka around to examine the battlefield around him, he noticed something out of the corner of his eye. A figure too small to be a normal giant stood on an outcrop of ice behind which lay a cave. Urok might have missed the man through the increasingly heavy snow were it not for the brilliant light which shone from between the mans outstretched arms. It looked like he was holding something but the light grew too bright to even make out its shape. Suddenly a flash of light spread across the sky and the increasingly violent storm abruptly stopped. The sounds of battle died down for a few moments as men looked up and the now clear sky with apprehension as the giants suddenly retreated up the mountainside. A chorus of cheers rang out as Urok's men celebrated their victory.

Urok's squad gathered behind him and he turned to address them. As he opened his mouth to speak, a deep rumbling began to emanate from the very mountain itself. The sound lay somewhere between that of an avalanche and an earthquake, but the mountain neither shook nor unleashed a wave of snow upon them. The sound grew in volume until the very air itself seemed to vibrate with it. The several of the mammoths were spooked and the men struggled to retain control of them. The gap between Urok and his men grew as their mounts fought the urge to bolt.

A bolt of lightning suddenly flashed from the now clear sky to strike The Titan's tip. Electricity coursed through Urok's body as the muscles in his arm spasmed and refused to release his grip upon his trophy lance. A crack echoed from the ground as a large chasm abruptly opened up beneath Shevanka's feet. Unable to move as his muscles continued to refuse to obey him, Urok could only watch helplessly as the ground seemed to swallow him in darkness.

Urok awoke on the ground, his body stiff and weak. Both Shevanka and The Titan lay beside him. Shevanka stood slowly, and nudged Urok gently with her trunk. The only illumination came from the two torches embedded in Shevanka's tusks. The cold stone ground slopes steeply upward, with jagged breaks and sharp fragments of stone. A single passageway lies just ahead. From beyond Urok can make out the faint sounds of movement.

j4bberw0ck
2011-11-08, 02:26 AM
Urok rose slowly to his feet. He retrieved The Titan from the icy ground and slid it into the leather loops on Shevanka's side, then retrieved his massive great sword. He walked forward toward the passageway. The sounds coming from inside, where they friend or foe? It did not matter Urok had to no where else to go, not if he wanted to keep Shevanka with him he thought as he looked high above him at the chasm. That's right a chasm, where had it come from? Was it created by the giants? The only way to get answers would be to press onward into the darkness. Urok pressed on through the passageway with Shevanka the sounds of movement getting louder as he approached. If its friends perhaps they have found a way out he thought, and if its enemies, well his thirst for the blood of giants had not yet been slaked.

Karthas077
2011-11-08, 05:22 PM
As Urok enters the passageway, he can tell that it will be a tight fit for Shevanka, but that she should be able to pass through without much difficulty. The cavern ceiling is much too low for her to be ridden at this point though. As the pair navigates the short passageway, the noises ahead suddenly grow quieter. The light from the torches on Shevanka's tusks provide dim illumination into the larger cavern ahead of them. At the fringes of the torches light, Urok can make out the vague shapes of what appear to be a mother winter wolf and her cub.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6226/6327273192_ae1d45c009.jpg
Roll for initiative.

j4bberw0ck
2011-11-08, 06:16 PM
Upon seeing the wolf Urok lowers his sword, no need for a confrontation with the beast if it can be avoided. he steps forward with Shevanka illuminating the wolf further. He stops and speaks "Mother wolf, I am lost Shevanka and I have fallen down a chasm, where are we and how can I find safe passage out?" Urok stand firm knowing that negotiations might not work against the creature but at a time like this any ally is better than none.

Karthas077
2011-11-08, 06:38 PM
The mother wolf looks from Urok's lowered sword to the large mammoth behind him and growls softly. Her cub takes a step back to stand beside her. "The ice giants are not happy with you warm-blood. They seek your death and send you Ylva's home, hoping she will rip out your throat. But Ylva has a son now, and cares more for his safety than for the ice giants intentions..." The she-wolf pauses for a moment as if considering what next to say. "You are deep beneath Jotungard, more than that Ylva cannot say, and as for safe passage, you may pass through Ylva's cavern in peace, but beyond that Ylva makes no guarantees."

As she finishes speaking, Ylva steps back, allowing for just enough room for both Urok and Shevanka to pass by. Doing so will put the pair within reach of Ylva's teeth, and this is at the cavern's widest point.

j4bberw0ck
2011-11-08, 06:48 PM
Urok pauses for a moment, the creature Ylva might be lying, today is a bad day to lie to me he thought. Urok begins to lead shevanka forward placing himself closer to the wolf in case she decides to go back on her word. As urok moves forward he speaks with a harsh tone "Yvla, I thank you for your hospitality, I will not bother you further, however I must warn you, today is not a good day to lie to me Yvla." Urok gives her a glare but continues forward. steadily ready for the wolf's strike should it come.

Karthas077
2011-11-20, 08:06 PM
As Urok and Shevanka pass by the large worg, a deep growl emanates from her throat, but she does not make a move. The second the two have passed, she and her cub retreat down the passageway in the direction Urok came, increasing the distance between them. As the darkness swallows their forms, she glances back. The last thing Urok sees of them is the reflection of the torches light off their eyes, before they turn a corner and they are gone.

After walking for a few minutes, the air begins to grow colder. The change is so subtle at first that it's barely noticeable, but after a few minutes, their breath is now frosting the air in front of them, and patches of ice cling to the rocky walls of the cave. The few stalactites hanging from the ceiling occasionally release icy droplets. Ahead, the patches of ice spread and join together to forma thin layer of blue over the interior of the cavern. The cavern widens up ahead, with numerous frozen columns interspersing the dark expanse.

j4bberw0ck
2011-11-20, 08:44 PM
The chill of the cave was no issue, his magic boots made sure of that, and Shevanka was protected well enough. What bothered him was the ice, so much of it, it really must be cold here what could be causing it? This much Ice in such a place was surely not natural. Urok continued on and tightened his grip on the sword something was not right about this.

Karthas077
2011-11-26, 05:00 PM
As Urok begins to take a step forward, he feels Shevanka's trunk on his arm, and a soft rumble of a warning comes from the mastodon. Something was up ahead. Urok still couldn't hear or see anything, but it would be a rare event for his trusted mount to be wrong about something like this. From her reaction, Urok can tell the source of the possible threat is somewhere on the right side of the cavern ahead of them.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/6407388009_a9acda337f_b.jpg

j4bberw0ck
2011-11-26, 05:31 PM
Feeling the warning come from the mastodon Urok slows his pace, the dimly lit cavern was full of eerie shadows cast by the torches shevanka held in her tusks, it only made matters worse. The icy pillars stood tall and obscured his vision. Urok's knuckles were white from the strength with which he gripped the sword, I know something is wrong, I am walking into a trap, but what other choice do i have? He thought as he pressed further into the cave, these giants were clever to send me into unfamiliar territory, but cowards for letting something else do their dirty work. Urok steps out to the right and prepares himself to face whatever might be hiding within these halls of ice and darkness.

[perception roll: 20+0=20 (whooo! nat 20!)]
[Readied action to attack whatever creature that is hiding in the darkness attack me]

EDIT: I forgot we are rolling in the OOC using the dire roller, DERP!