PDA

View Full Version : Reach Spell + Chain Spell + Incantatrix

Dazed&Confused
2011-11-06, 10:37 PM
I Recently made a thread complaining about a DM who wouldn't let me "optimize"(better explanation on this is in the third post), probably because the rest of the group was a bit weak, far from optimized. After some bashing I kinda ended up agreeing to people.

Thinking about that, instead of trying to be the big-boss-that-kills-everything-by-himself, I thought of making an optimized healer/buffer/debuffer, which in my mind would be the kind of optimizing that doesn't hurt the group since they're gonna get stronger due to my help instead of watching me fight(or dying to DM's monsters made to kill me).

So I made a 9th level Cloistered Cleric with Divine Magician (later becoming an Initiate of Mystra) and got Leadership to get an Incantatrix, who, of course, will be at 7th level(5 wiz/2 incant). I already got Twin Spell on the cohort to enhance my healings, unless I made a mistake Moderate Wounds will be healing for 4d8+18 after cooperative magic(if I misread something that would forbid this, please tell). Now I thought about doing another thing; what if I try to chain it? In Chain Spell description it's said the spell can't be at touch range, but if I also use Reach Spell(in later levels, ofc) will it be valid?

Also, how many metamagics can I apply at once with the Cooperative Metamagic from the Incantatrix? Only one? If it's possible to get more than one, will that Reach+Chain "combo" work if she does it all at the same time? I mean, it's weird to tell which metamagic would be coming first in this case.

Safety Sword
2011-11-06, 10:42 PM
Leadership is allowed, but you can't optimise your character? :smallconfused:

Takes all types of games I guess :smallamused:

Dazed&Confused
2011-11-06, 10:53 PM
Leadership is allowed, but you can't optimise your character? :smallconfused:

Takes all types of games I guess :smallamused:

Well, it's hard to explain. The actual reason is that he hates non-translated books(we're brazilians; CD, CArc, CAdv, PgtF, CW and the core are like the only 3.5 ones translated) for a dumb reason, he has some weird thing in his head telling him that people didn't translate those other books because "there is crazy unbalanced stuff there". But still, making a powerhouse character in that kind of group(nearly pure fighter/+2 LA wiz/half dragon who just now got his second attack/round) would be bad for those old reasons you probably know already, he would either faceroll the other players or I would faceroll his monsters. Since I just can't have fun without optimizing, I guess debuffing/buffing/healing the best I can is the way to go without hurting anyone(except for the DM :smallbiggrin:).

bigstipidfighte
2011-11-06, 10:53 PM
There's no reason for Chain Spell not to work on a Touch spell that's been altered with Reach Spell. Not familiar enough with incantatrix to answer your other question.

My initial reaction to your post was the same as Safety Sword's though:
Can't optimize+allowed to take Leadership and build your own Cohort=???

Dazed&Confused
2011-11-06, 10:56 PM
There's no reason for Chain Spell not to work on a Touch spell that's been altered with Reach Spell. Not familiar enough with incantatrix to answer your other question.

My initial reaction to your post was the same as Safety Sword's though:
Can't optimize+allowed to take Leadership and build your own Cohort=???

Yea, wasn't very clear there. The explanation is above.

bigstipidfighte
2011-11-06, 11:04 PM
Eh, you don't need lots of supplements to optimize. Core has a pretty high concentration of broken things. Three of the tier 1 classes are in the phb, as are the planar binding chain, polymorph, gate, etc. The DMG, or course, has Leadership, and the Monster manual has Vampires, and half-Dragons.

Dazed&Confused
2011-11-06, 11:19 PM
Eh, you don't need lots of supplements to optimize. Core has a pretty high concentration of broken things. Three of the tier 1 classes are in the phb, as are the planar binding chain, polymorph, gate, etc. The DMG, or course, has Leadership, and the Monster manual has Vampires, and half-Dragons.

I know, I'm not complaining about it, Shapechange+MM is core only and already optimization enough for a Wizard, probably reaching broken-level.

The complaint thread I made some time ago was due to him banning everything that made my char what it was in terms of flavor/roleplaying, but that's over already :smalltongue: Now I just wanna know those things in the OP, especially the last ones. I mean, if the spell is "already reached", I have almost no doubt it's chainable, but if it is (second question) possible to use more than one metamagic at once with Cooperative Metamagic from Incantatrixes, would it (third question) work, since I don't know which metamagic would come first, Chain or Reach(if the latter comes first it's working)?

This is the ability's description: http://bertball.com/wiki/index.php/Incantatrix_(Prestige_Class)#Cooperative_Metamagic _.28Su.29