PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Wizardly item advice.

CheshireCatAW
2011-11-07, 12:59 AM
Through a series of errors on my part and an incredible streak of luck, a throwaway conjurer has survived miraculously for a few weeks having only a couple spell component pouches and whatever is found in random dungeons. He's become interesting enough that the party likes having him around.

The issue: He has something like 62,500 gold and has recently been rewarded with "any single item worth up to 18k" from a dragons hoard. I have no clue what he should get, either with the money or the hoard item and would appreciate suggestions. He'll be hitting the magic-mart very soon.

He is a Conjurer and level 10. As the only spellcaster in a party of 7 he's got a lot of group support to cover. The only items of note that he already has is a wand of false life, a wand of summon monster 3, and a ring of wizardry I.

Thank you for the help.

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-07, 01:08 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0

deuxhero
2011-11-07, 01:13 AM
Uh banned schools?

Assuming Evocation was among them, Gloves of the Stary Night Sky (MIC, not sure on the same) let you cast Magic Missile by burning your own slots and cast light directly from the item and are cheep, though at your level MM is lost/losing its luster, but nice to have.

For your single item, something that gives wishes.

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-07, 01:17 AM
Recommended Magic Items: Rod of Extend (lesser), Wand of Benign Transposition, Cloak of Resistance (+1), Headband of Intellect (Totals 8750gp) (The Rod is probably your first priority here - the Cloak of Resistance is the most expendable)

Recommended magic items: Rod of extend (lesser), Headband of Intellect (+4), Pearls of power - level 1 (x 5), Rod of silent spell (lesser), Heward's handy haversack, Heward's fortifying bedroll, Amulet of health (+2), Cloak of Resistance (+2), Wand of True Casting (Total gp value: 39,750 - leaves some extra room for incedentals)

Recommended magic items: Ring of Feather Fall, Ring of Enduring Arcana, Headband of Intellect (+6), Amulet of health (+4), Metamagic Rod of Quicken (lesser), Metamagic Rod of Extend (lesser), Metamagic rod of Silent Spell (lesser), Heward's handy haversack, Heward's fortifying bedroll, and treat yourself to a nice metamagic rod as well. Should have lots left over for whatever else you like.

CheshireCatAW
2011-11-07, 01:19 AM
Ah, apologies. I knew I forgot something. Banned schools are evocation and enchantment.

deuxhero
2011-11-07, 01:26 AM
Don't forget Feather Token (tree), (Boat) and (Anchor), plus blessed bandage/1-3 potion of cure minor wounds/eternal wand of cure minor wounds (bard) and all the misc items you can carry. They are cheep, and very useful when you need one (tree and boat are a large obstacle at your command).

These two handbooks offer advice

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-07, 01:29 AM
Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC) with the properties of a Headband of Conscious Effort (MIC) added at +50% cost. Total price is 18,000 gp.

For other items, probably the first thing you should get is adding an Enhancement bonus to Int to that headband for the same price as a standalone Headband of Int as per MIC p234 pricing. I'd recommend a +6, you won't regret it.

A Belt of Battle (MIC) is highly recommended.

Get a +1 Mithral Buckler, there's no arcane spell failure and no drawback for using it nonproficient. Get the Reflecting property on it as well if you can afford it.

Check out the Raiment of the Four item set in MIC, especially the gloves and goggles if you picked Evocation as a prohibited school.

Other items to consider include a Third Eye: Clarity (MIC), Necklace of Adaptation (DMG/SRD), Lesser Metamagic Rods of Extend (DMG/SRD), Ring of Enduring Arcana (CM), Ring of Sustenance (DMG/SRD), Anklets of Translocation (MIC), and a (Heward's) Handy Haversack (DMG/SRD).

Edit: You should either have Resistance + Permanency on you or be casting Greater Resistance every day, so there's no reason to spend gold on a Cloak of Resistance or similar. Get a Robe of the Vagabond (CC) if you're into passive bonuses.

Malachei
2011-11-08, 07:07 PM
Ah, apologies. I knew I forgot something. Banned schools are evocation and enchantment.

Well, if you can afford UMD, absolutely get a Runestaff with Evocation and / or Enchantment spells on it.

If you can't afford UMD, still get a Runestaff with some nice spells that are not from your prohibited schools.