PDA

View Full Version : Character help (caster cleric)

Umbranar
2011-11-07, 08:26 AM
Hi there,

So i have been playing alot of characters in my D&D career but never a cleric mainly focused on casting. I would like some tips and tricks/buids on how to do this. I prefer blasting and enchantment but any cool concept is fine.

Books i have access to/allow to use:

PHB
PHB2
DMG
Completes (all of them)
Spell Compendium
Miniatures Handbook
Races of... (all of them)

Minimum demands:

Deity: Wee Jas (and appropriate domains as in the Complete Divine)
Race: Any of the Standard PHB races + Grey Elf and Wood Elf
Feats: No Divine Metamagic, we closed that one to prevent 24hr righteous might + divine power clerics
Level: Character level 12

I can get access to more content if the DM agrees to allow it, aslong as its not to sick or weird.

Edit: Maximum 3 classes, dont want to see any cleric 1/wizard 3, contemp 5, mystic theurge 2, rogue 3, fighter 6, whatever 10 builds :P

Psyren
2011-11-07, 09:36 AM
Completes (all of them)

Your best bets for a caster cleric are probably going to be Dweomerkeeper (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a) (Complete Divine web enhancement) and Contemplative (Complete Divine.)

Do you have access to the SRD? Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) is perfect for a caster cleric; you can double as the loremonkey and the big boost to Knowledge will greatly help both your blasting (through Knowledge Devotion) and your summoning (for Planes checks.)

You'll also want the Domain Spontaneity feat from CDiv so you aren't limited to converting your spells to healing or inflict. (What alignment are you, anyway?)

Gullintanni
2011-11-07, 10:00 AM
It's also trivially easy to pick up one level of Church Inquisitor for the Inquisition Domain and one+ levels of Divine Oracle for the Oracle Domain, both of which fit pretty well for Wee Jas' fluff.

Grab the Divine Magician ACF from Complete Mage and sub out a Domain for one Necromancy, Divination or Abjuration spell per spell level. Enervation is a great pick for your level 4 spell. Split Ray is essentially a discounted twin spell that makes your Enervations incredibly potent. Cloistered Cleric gives you the Knowledge domain that you can swap out for your Divine Magician if you like. This leaves you free to take the Planning Domain, which Complete Warrior suggests granting to Wee Jas, and nets you Extend Spell for free, which is useful even without DMM.

Of Wee Jas' domains, your best pick is almost certainly the Magic domain, which allows you to activate spell trigger items as a wizard of half your Cleric level, so...scrolls and wands? Have fun.

Divine Spell Power is a great feat from Complete Divine. Combine with Desecrate + Animate Dead for a wall of mobile meat shields more powerful than what you could normally create.

I also like the Spontaneous Domain Casting ACF from PHB 2 that lets you trade Spontaneous Healing or Inflict for Spontaneous access to one domain. Magic is a decent domain for this.

...hopefully you'll find something useful here :smallsmile:

Per races, there's almost no reason to be anything other than Human. Few races that don't reek of cheese give you bonuses to either Cha or Wis, and since you're going caster style, then you can safely ignore Str/Dex. Gnomes make decent caster clerics. Small size + Con bonus makes them hard to hit and a little more durable. Whether or not that's worth the human bonus feat is for you to decide.

Umbranar
2011-11-07, 10:15 AM
Great tips so far.
I dont have default access to cloistered cleric but im sure my DM will allow it if i ask nicely.

My alignment is probably going to match Wee Jas (LN). Reason for Wee Jas and Alignment is that the Wee Jas Church in town was corrupted and were acting against the will (and without informing) the main temple in the Capitol city.
Our adventure group has entered the chuch through teleportation and cleared out all demons, undead and evil clerics. Now the motivations and plans are uncertain since the church is sealed. The town guards are on the job but the towns council is also subject to corruption.

So thats why the main temple has send me to investigate and put them straight.