PDA

View Full Version : Where does the term "gish" come from?

Seharvepernfan
2011-11-07, 09:43 AM
I always subconciously think "gith".

Why are multiclassed caster/warriors called gish?

Feytalist
2011-11-07, 09:44 AM
In previous versions, Githyanki (the planar race) had a "gish" caste, which was essentially a warrior/wizard hybrid. The name carried over from there.

Eldan
2011-11-07, 09:52 AM
Not just essentially. The way multiclassing in AD&D worked, they had basically the power of both classes.

Feytalist
2011-11-07, 10:15 AM
Well, okay. But they leveled up much slower than single-classed characters.

In any case, the word was originally tied to a special sort of Githyanki fighter/wizard. It just became popular enough to be used to describe any martial caster over time.

Snowbluff
2011-11-07, 11:51 AM
In previous versions, Githyanki (the planar race) had a "gish" caste, which was essentially a warrior/wizard hybrid. The name carried over from there.

This^
It's in the MM

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-07, 12:33 PM
Well, okay. But they leveled up much slower than single-classed characters.

Not exactly, considering 2nd edition multiclassing split your XP gains between the two classes, and you typically had to double your current XP to gain the next level at any given level, so they're usually no more than one or two levels behind in each class relative to a single-class character of that same class.

But yes, it's a reference to the Githyanki Gish, the original Fighter/Mage archtype.

John Campbell
2011-11-07, 05:35 PM
But yes, it's a reference to the Githyanki Gish, the original Fighter/Mage archtype.

The Elf class was a fighter/mage before the githyanki had been invented.

panaikhan
2011-11-08, 08:34 AM
I thought it was an internet mangling of Gestalt, being a word generally used for multiple things combined into one.

Knaight
2011-11-08, 08:37 AM
The Elf class was a fighter/mage before the githyanki had been invented.

Revision: Its a reference to the Githyanki Gish, the original stylish fighter/wizard achetype.

Feytalist
2011-11-08, 08:57 AM
Not exactly, considering 2nd edition multiclassing split your XP gains between the two classes, and you typically had to double your current XP to gain the next level at any given level, so they're usually no more than one or two levels behind in each class relative to a single-class character of that same class.

Well, yes. That still implies a slower leveling up than single classes, which was what I said.

Yora
2011-11-08, 09:00 AM
I thought it was an internet mangling of Gestalt, being a word generally used for multiple things combined into one.
Which is also awful, since that doesn't have anything to do with what the word actually means.