PDA

View Full Version : advanced lycanthrope

lunar2
2011-11-07, 10:01 AM
so, this is purely hypothetical. if a medium character is a natural large lycanthrope (say, for example, Dire Werebear), and they advance racial HD to the point where the bear form should become huge, how would you handle it?

would you

1. cause all forms to grow one size category. this is easily the most powerful option, gaining size increase modifiers twice, and probably the option i would pick to boost an otherwise weak advancement path.

2. cause the animal and hybrid forms to grow one size category (animal huge, hybrid large, human medium). this one violates RAW twice. once because the animal form is more than 1 size larger than the human form, and again because the hybrid form id a different size than the human form. still, this would probably be a good option, allowing the character to work at several sizes.

3. not allow RHD advancement to begin with. I don't like this one. animal HD, even Dire animal HD, really isn't very good. if the player wants to tap into their animal side, i think they should be able to in a campaign that already allows monster PCs. heck, i would probably give them the benefits of the size increase gradually, giving them some pseudo class features along the way to the actual size boost.

4. any other option.

also, are there any prestige classes specifically for lycanthropes?

jindra34
2011-11-07, 10:38 AM
Lycanthropes advance as base race and as the animal is not the base race I'm pretty sure #3 is what was intended. If you absolutely feel the need not to forbid advancing the HD, simply rule the (inner) animal doesn't grow in size.

Pilo
2011-11-07, 12:02 PM
1 is so wrong!
2 seems correct.
3 You have already decided that.
4 i think you can allow his/her animal shape to grow, take the closest form from his/her humanoid form for the hybrid form (explained after), keep his/her humanoid form the same.

I mean:
Animal is L Humanoid is M Hybrid will be M.
Animal is H Humanoid is M Hybrid is L.