PDA

View Full Version : Holding open a feat slot?

Bloodgruve
2011-11-07, 10:17 AM
Quick question, can you hold off on filling a feat slot until you gain the prereq to take it? For example, could you hold your 1st lvl feat until lvl 3 or your 6th lvl feat until lvl 7?

TYVM
Blood~

The Boz
2011-11-07, 10:18 AM
It's a houserule. If a DM allows feat retraining, there's no reason to not allow this.

Cog
2011-11-07, 02:05 PM
It's a houserule. If a DM allows feat retraining, there's no reason to not allow this.
...Except that, when retraining, you have to show that you could have qualified for it originally.

Aquillion
2011-11-07, 02:07 PM
By RAW, no, you cannot do this.

Garagos
2011-11-07, 02:08 PM
I believe somewhere in the PHB it says specifically you cannot do hold open feat slots, but like another poster said, houserules can fix that.

dextercorvia
2011-11-07, 02:40 PM
Casters can do a version of this with Loremaster.

If a Marshal dip fits in your build, it can also accomplish this.

Essentially, you take the feat you can take now (Skill Focus:Diplomacy in the case of Marshal). Then, later when you qualify for the feat you want, you take the Marshal dip and get to pick that feat.

Also, Chameleon 2 can be useful for these purposes, allowing you to use it to fill in, until you can take it with an ordinary feat slot.

Pilo
2011-11-07, 04:04 PM
It would be too broken to allow that. You could have a fighter with Great cleave and weapon specialization at lvl 4. (Yeah a fighter exemple is pointless).

It's already easy to make powerful flavourless character, no need to break the rules to help it.

Malachei
2011-11-08, 07:03 PM
It would be too broken to allow that. You could have a fighter with Great cleave and weapon specialization at lvl 4. (Yeah a fighter exemple is pointless).

It's already easy to make powerful flavourless character, no need to break the rules to help it.

Not at all. If you ask the person holding the slot open would still require them to meet the pre-requisites at the level they would normally have spent the feat, there's no abuse, they're just postponing a decision.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-08, 07:14 PM
Embrace the Dark Chaos/Shun the Dark Chaos.

Turn any feat you have into any other feat that you qualify for at the time your perform the Shuffle.

Safety Sword
2011-11-08, 07:14 PM
Not at all. If you ask the person holding the slot open would still require them to meet the pre-requisites at the level they would normally have spent the feat, there's no abuse, they're just postponing a decision.

What, you don't have 20 levels planned out when you start playing the character? :smallamused:

Malachei
2011-11-08, 07:17 PM
:) I actually allow my players to reconsider feat options. It's really hard to select a feat and later find that you've made a bad choice which further impacts your character development and takes away options. Some players don't plan that far ahead or are not that much into optimization. I find I actually prefer those. :)