PDA

View Full Version : Low magic level settings and character creation (3.x)

necroon
2011-11-07, 12:09 PM
Hey Fellow Giants!

I'm currently running a game that takes place in a setting that is supposed to be fairly low-magic level in terms of magical equipment. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for watching over character creation (level 5+) to make sure that players re-rolling and newcomers don't hit the field with an unregulated amount of magical goodness?
I was considering only letting players take one magical item per 5 HD but having never done such a thing figured I'd ask my fellow experienced DMs here in the playground.
If you want more information the system being run is Pathfinder (3.75) and the Setting being used is a modified 3.0/3.5 Ravenloft rules set.

Thank you thank you~

Yora
2011-11-07, 12:33 PM
Since they are all only 5th level, I would say let them start with no permanent magic items at all.
Only masterwork equipment, potions, scrolls, and wands.

Dr Bwaa
2011-11-07, 02:53 PM
I think this depends largely on how levels are seen in your setting. That is, are you in a faerunian sort of civilization, where high-level NPCs are common? Or are there only a few people in the world above level 10? I'm assuming closer to the former given that you're starting at level 5, but who knows. The higher the average level in the world, generally the higher magic there is, which is why low-magic/high-level sits a little weirdly with me, but I know it's pretty popular. I think really the best thing to do as far as controlling equipment at character creation in these situations is to make any non-mundane equipment have to be justified in character background (and give them less gold to work with, obviously). This encourages, in my experience, reasonable items and some in-character attachment to those items, which is useful in keeping your players happy even though you're not throwing treasure at them.
I hope any of this makes sense; I'm writing during my LoL death timers.

suhkkaet
2011-11-07, 03:53 PM
I usually do something like (total amount of magic items in party / #party members) - x where x is depending on your definition of low-magic, and how powerful the other party members' items are.

Although depletable items aren't counted as hard. Mostly because chosing between a potion and a magic weapon/armor is usually extremely easy. :P