PDA

View Full Version : Person Man's Healer

Person_Man
2011-11-07, 12:37 PM
I know that there are many Healer (Miniature's Handbook) fixes out there. But I've decided to make an effort to put my homebrew work up, rather then just leaving them on my hard drive and posting them within threads when it becomes relevant.

The key to this fix is that you gain a Celestial Companion at level 1, and not level 8. Thus you always have "something to do" because you basically have a second Tier 5ish melee character to control. I also did my best to give her class abilities that don't duplicate spells, and to make them as dirt simple as possible (since only new-ish players tend to play Healers).

The Healer

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_BirvUCzeN8s/TESpcp4A3DI/AAAAAAAADEc/w2JHSKg7jdQ/final_fantasy_-_white_mage.png

Alignment: Any Good or Lawful.

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills: The healer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (nature), (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the healer:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Healers are proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, and medium armor.

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | + 0 | + 2 | + 2 | + 2 | Spells, Aura, Celestial Companion
2nd | + 1 | + 3 | + 3 | + 3 | Skill Focus (Heal), Field Healer
3rd | + 1 | + 3 | + 3 | + 3 | Combat Medic
4th | + 2 | + 4 | + 4 | + 4 | Turn Undead
5th | + 2 | + 4 | + 4 | + 4 | Healing Hands
6th | + 3 | + 5 | + 5 | + 5 | Transcendent Health
7th | + 3 | + 5 | + 5 | + 5 | Warded Healing
8th | + 4 | + 6 | + 6 | + 6 | Aura of Courage
9th | + 4 | + 6 | + 6 | + 6 | Overflowing Energy
10th | + 5 | + 7 | + 7 | + 7 | Evasion
11th | + 5 | + 7 | + 7 | + 7 | Cleanse Spirit
12th | + 6 | + 8 | + 8 | + 8 | Reach Healing
13th | + 6 | + 8 | + 8 | + 8 | Divine Link
14th | + 7 | + 9 | + 9 | + 9 | Transfer Suffering
15th | + 7 | + 9 | + 9 | + 9 | Negative Energy Immunity
16th | + 8 | + 10 | + 10 | + 10 | New Limb
17th | + 8 | + 10 | + 10 | + 10 | Maximized Healing
18th | + 9 | + 11 | + 11 | + 11 | Plane Walker
19th | + 9 | + 11 | + 11 | + 11 | Quickened Healing
20th | + 10 | + 12 | + 12 | + 12 | New Life
[/table]

Class Abilities

Spells: Spontaneous Charisma only based casting, using the Spirit Shaman's progression and spell selection mechanic. The spell list is anything the DM thinks is appropriate. I suggest the standard Healer list plus sanctified magic from the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Aura: As per the Cleric class ability.

Celestial Companion (Ex): You gain an Animal Companion, as per the Druid class ability. In addition, your Animal Companion possesses the Celestial template. If you have or later gain an Animal Companion or Special Mount from another class or prestige class, you may sacrifice that ability to have levels of that class or prestige class stack with levels of Healer to determine the power/hit dice of your Celestial Companion. In addition to the normal options for Animal Companions, your Celestial Companion may also be a Unicorn, Lammasu, etc, with appropriate adjustments to your effective Druid level for the bonuses.

Skill Focus (Heal): You gain this as a bonus feat. If you already posses this feat, you may choose another feat that you qualify for in it's place.

Field Healer (Ex): You may always Take 10 when using the Heal Skill, even when threatened or rushed. You may use the Heal Skill as a Move Action (instead of a Standard Action) to provide first aid, treat a wound, or treat poison.

Combat Medic (Ex): You never provoke an attack of opportunity when using the Heal Skill or casting a Conjuration (Healing) spell.

Turn Undead (Su): As per the Cleric class ability.

Healing Hands (Su): Whenever a healer casts a spell that cures hit point damage, she adds her Charisma modifier to the amount of damage healed. If the spell has a duration of multiple rounds (such as Vigor) this bonus is only applied on the first round that damage is healed.

Transcendent Health (Su): You gain immunity to disease, poison, sickened, and nauseated effects.

Warded Healing (Su): Any ally effected by a Conjuration (Healing) spell that you cast (including you and your Celestial Companion when applicable) is also effected as if you had cast Sanctuary on them.

Aura of Courage (Su): As per the Paladin class ability. If you already have or later gain an Aura of Courage from another class, the bonus against Fear effects for your allies stacks from both abilities.

Overflowing Energy (Su): Whenever a healer casts a spell that cures hit point damage above the target's normal maximum hit points, the target gains temporary hit points equal to the excess for a number of rounds equal to the healer's caster level. For example, if the target is currently at 10 hit points, has a maximum normal hit point total of 20, and your heal them for 15 points of damage, they gain 5 temporary hit points. Temporary hit points from multiple sources overlap, and do not stack.

Evasion (Ex): As per the Rogue ability, except that it also functions in medium armor.

Transfer Suffering (Sp): If you or your Celestial Companion is damaged by an attack which deals hit point damage (including spells, psionics, etc), within 1 round of that attack you may take a Standard Action to heal the damage caused by that attack, and deal the same amount of damage that you healed to the enemy who caused the damage. The damage against your enemy is of the same type of the attack which damaged you. For example, if an enemy cast Polar Ray and dealt 30 points of damage against you, within one round you could take a Standard Action to heal 30 points of damage to yourself, and deal 30 points of Cold damage to the enemy who cast Polar Ray. If an enemy makes multiple attacks against you in a given round (such as multiple melee attacks) this ability only functions on one attack of your choice. This ability does not transfer secondary effects of attacks, such as being knocked Prone, Fear, Stun, etc. The target is entitled to a Willpower Save (DC = 10 + 1/2 your Healer level + your Charisma bonus) to negate this effect. You may use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Charisma bonus.

Reach Healing (Su): You gain Reach Spell as a bonus feat. You you already have this feat, you may choose another metamagic feat that you qualify for in it's place. In addition, you may apply Reach Spell to any Conjuration (Healing) spell that you cast without modifying the spell level or casting time of the spell.

Divine Link (Su): Your ability to Share Spells with your Celestial Companion is increased to 100 feet.

Cleanse Spirit (Su): When you cast Greater Restoration, you may do so as a Standard Action (instead of the normal 10 minutes), and doing so does not require any XP expenditure/cost.

Negative Energy Immunity (Su): You and your Celestial Companion gain immunity to all Negative Energy spells and effects, such as Cause Wounds or Harm. You are also immune to Energy Drain and other effects which impose negative levels.

New Limb (Sp): When you cast Regenerate, you may do so as a Standard Action (instead of the normal 3 full rounds).

Maximized Healing (Su): You gain Maximize Spell as a bonus feat. If you already have this feat, you may choose any other metamagic bonus feat that you qualify for in it's place. In addition, you may apply Maximize Spell to any Conjuration (Healing) spell that you cast without modifying the spell level or casting time of the spell.

Plane Walker (Su): You, your Celestial Companion, and all allies within 100 feet of you are immune to the negative effects of being on the Positive Material Plane. (You do not explode from excess hit points). Plane Shift is added to your healer's spell list. In addition, you never require a material component in order to cast Plane Shift when traveling to the Positive Material Plane or back to the Prime Material Plane.

Quickened Healing (Su): You gain Quicken Spell as a bonus feat. If you already have this feat, you may choose any other metamagic bonus feat that you qualify for in it's place. In addition, you may apply Quicken Spell to any Conjuration (Healing) spell that you cast without modifying the spell level or casting time of the spell.

New Life (Su): Once every seven days you may ignore the XP cost for casting True Resurrection. If you die and have not cast True Resurrection within the past 7 days, then 10 minutes later you rise from the dead as if you had cast True Resurrection on yourself. This expends your "free" True Resurrection for the next 7 days. Thus if you are slain again within that time period, you do not rise again.

Psyren
2011-11-07, 01:16 PM
I like it. Some feedback however:

- I like making them SAD for casting purposes, but I think that Wis should still factor in somehow; e.g. keying Healing Hands off Wis is an easy way that won't hurt them.

- Rather than TU, I'd give them a PF-style channel energy that counts as TU for the purposes of prereqs (feats/PrCs/etc.) Their job is tending to the living, not battling the undead; this should remain the good cleric's niche.

- Plane Walker is great, but you may want to cap the bonus HP they and allies can gain from the Positive Energy trait, especially if someone else in the party can Genesis up a fast-time, major-positive-dominant locale to hop over to during or just before battle. Also, if an ally moves out of the Healer's aura, will he then have to start making fort saves or risk going nova?

- Not sure I like good reflex and Evasion. I think there's a more thematic way to protect them from blasty-effects; say, by letting them siphon energy away from the spell.

SamBurke
2011-11-07, 01:23 PM
Erm... the abilities are out of order and unclearly marked.

If you could switch them around so they're in the order that they come on the table, that'd help reading a lot.

As it is, this class gets a ton of abilities, each of which is kind of one-off; none of them are progressed.

Where's the chart for spell progression?

You reference a lot of abilities ("as the cleric ability), which does NOT help new players; I'd repost the ability as written from the SRD if possible.