PDA

View Full Version : PF: Eidolons: The Horror!

grarrrg
2011-11-07, 12:56 PM
I just realized something today.

Eidolons do not have heads.

I would like to be corrected on this, I really would.

That Quadruped Eidolon you just summoned at level 1?
You think it looks like a horse don't you?
Nope. More like a Headcrab. Or a monstrocity from "The Thing" movie.
Legs, Torso (presumably) and Teeth. No head.

Your precious little Serpentine you just summoned?
Tubesock + Teeth.

Biped?
This one gets off lucky, it doesn't have Bite.
Still creepy though...

Novawurmson
2011-11-07, 01:06 PM
The eidolon’s physical appearance is up to the summoner, but it always appears as some sort of fantastical creature.

Also consider:

Head (Ex)

An eidolon grows an additional head. The eidolon does not gain any additional natural attacks for the additional head, but the additional head does allow the eidolon to take other evolutions that add an additional attack to a head (such as a bite, gore, or breath weapon). This evolution can be selected more than once.

grarrrg
2011-11-07, 09:22 PM
Also consider:

I see your argument and raise you a:

appears as some sort of fantastical creature. This control is not fine enough to make the eidolon appear like a specific creature.

Limbs (Ex)
An eidolon grows an additional pair of limbs. These limbs
Serpentine-base has NO limbs to necessitate an 'additional' pair.

Although, now that I read the evolutions a bit closer, there is an odd inconsistency...

Compare wording.

Bite (Ex)
An eidolon’s maw is full of razor-sharp teeth, giving it a bite attack. This attack is a primary attack. The bite deals 1d6 points of damage (1d8 if Large, 2d6 if Huge). If the eidolon already has a bite attack, this evolution allows it to deal 1-1/2 times its Strength modifier on damage rolls made with its bite. Source: Advanced Player's Guide

(every other 'attack' evolution) (Ex)
An eidolon has _____, giving it (1 or 2) attack(s). These attack(s) are _____ attacks. The (attacks) deal 1d# points of damage. The eidolon must have the _____ evolution to take this evolution. This evolution can be selected more than once, but the eidolon must possess an equal number of the _____ evolution.

Going just by the description, you can only Bite once, but (other attacks) can be taken multiple times.
It is only when you get down to the Head Evolution that this changes.

Head (Ex)
An eidolon grows an additional head. The eidolon does not gain any additional natural attacks for the additional head, but the additional head does allow the eidolon to take other evolutions that add an additional attack to a head (such as a bite, gore, or breath weapon). This evolution can be selected more than once.

The Head is also the ONLY 'attack-base' Evolution that does NOTHING on its own.
Limbs-Arms? Can carry weapons/stuff
Limbs-Legs? +move speed
Tail? +Acrobatics check.
Wings? Flight
Head? NOTHING!

If they reworded Bite to mimic the other attacks, then Head would simply read:

Head (Ex)
An eidolon grows an additional head. This evolution can be selected more than once.

Anderlith
2011-11-07, 09:57 PM
Eidolons look how you want them to look. Mine is a Pikachu

Bhaakon
2011-11-07, 10:14 PM
Eidolons look how you want them to look. Mine is a Pikachu

[Imagines headless pikachu]

Awesome!

deuxhero
2011-11-07, 10:23 PM
Pikachu doesn't have a head alreddy. It has a face, but there is no real distinction between head and body.

Coidzor
2011-11-07, 10:33 PM
So... Mr. Saturn (http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Saturn), then? :smallamused:

grarrrg
2011-11-07, 11:15 PM
On a related note:
I'm now totally planning how to do a Head Crab Eidolon.
*Disclaimer* This is NOT an optimized build, it is a FLAVOR build *End Disclaimer*
We start with a Small Quadruped Eidolon, we'd go smaller if we could.
We will NOT be adding limbs/head/wings. Headcrabs only have 4 legs and a torso/mouth.
We can take Claws once, and Hooves once.
Pounce evolution. Nuff said.
Tagging Acrobatics as one of our class skills and taking the Skilled evolution *jumping!*
Unnatural Aura, for funsies!
We are going to want to take Ability Increase Str as much as allowed.
Due to our self-limited number of attacks, we are taking the Energy Attacks evolution to improve damage. Acid is probably the most fitting.
And the Grab evolut... dang. "works on creatures of a size one category smaller than the eidolon or smaller"....Well, Grab is out. Someone feel free to make a Giagantic Head-Grappling monster. I guess I'm stuck with a dedicated Pouncer.
Frightful Presence would be AWESOME if, A: the Cha score wasn't junk, and B: if Eidolons had level=HD.
See in Darkness/Blindsense/Tremorsense are all very flavor-fully appropriate. Pick one.

That comes out to roughly... 11 or so Evolution points, putting it at level 8, but then we have 6 levels to qualify for another Ability Increase-Str, and 5 natural attacks, so level 9 is minimum, let's just say level 10.
Str 19
Dex 20
Con 12
+15 AC from Dex and Natural armor
Acrobatics +19 (8HD +3Class skill +8Skilled), and another +5 from Dex, +24 WHOO!

Anderlith
2011-11-07, 11:38 PM
Do you think it's possible to make an Eidolon Zoidberg? TO THE APG!

panaikhan
2011-11-08, 08:07 AM
Oooo... frightening presence.
That sounds fun for my Synthesist (L6 currently, Cha 20)

The Glyphstone
2011-11-08, 08:13 AM
For headcrab eidolons, there's always the Broodlord Archetype. At 8th level, you'd have 4 Small Eidolons (though they wouldn't be very powerful individually).

panaikhan
2011-11-08, 08:18 AM
Thinking about Broodlord and Share Spells.
I don't have my books to hand - can a Summoner have their spells affect their eidolon AS WELL AS themself? If so, Broodlord and Enlarge Person for some serious bottom-kicking.

Barstro
2011-11-08, 08:38 AM
The Head is also the ONLY 'attack-base' Evolution that does NOTHING on its own.
Limbs-Arms? Can carry weapons/stuff
Limbs-Legs? +move speed
Tail? +Acrobatics check.
Wings? Flight
Head? NOTHING!

Interesting point. Perhaps they should state that heads give extra eyes and mouth/nose to allow greater perception or some other flavorful ability.

grarrrg
2011-11-08, 10:28 AM
Do you think it's possible to make an Eidolon Zoidberg? TO THE APG!

Zoidberg is actually quite easy and can be "close enough" at level 1.

Biped (NOT Aquatic, trust me on this one)
Imp. Natural Armor
Gills
Take the Pincers evolution, have it REPLACE the claws on the base form.
According to the rules for Natural Attacks, if a creature has ONLY ONE type of attack, then it is treated as a Primary attack.
So we have 2 - 1d6 Pincers as Primary attacks.

For higher level Zoidberg:
Improved Damage
More Imp. Natural Armor.
Resistance or Immunity (probably Cold > Water)
Scent
Skilled > Profession (I'M A DOCTOR!)
Swim?
Damage Reduction
Web/Breath Weapon (he can shoot ink!)

stack
2011-11-08, 10:36 AM
Skilled? That may be overestimating him. Perhaps skilled: profession(quack).

grarrrg
2011-11-08, 10:39 AM
Skilled? That may be overestimating him. Perhaps skilled: profession(quack).

You will note that I clearly stated "Profession (I'M A DOCTOR)" and not "Profession (Doctor)"
:smallcool:

Anderlith
2011-11-08, 05:39 PM
Actually Zoidberg is a brilliant doctor, just for aliens though, he is a terrible doctor for humans. He also has a Doctorate in Art.

(\/)(:,,:)(\/) WHOOOPP WHHOOPPP WHOOOOPP!