PDA

View Full Version : Natsu Dragneel (FairyTail) Help creating a character

PowerGamer
2011-11-07, 02:05 PM
Im interested in homebrew but would over power it to much to be allowed in any game... I am good at concepts though :smallsmile: So here's the deal.

I'm interested in playing a character as close to Natsu as possible.

I would be very grateful if anyone could post tips or a leveling plan for such a character. A class might also have to be homebrewed ( if so I prefer psionics over magic, but not neccesary)

Easiest way I see to do this is to take a monk as a base and mix it with pyrokenisist ablities and add wilder power points and limited energy powers or fire magic converted to psionics

Hyooz
2011-11-07, 03:22 PM
Easiest way?

Dragonfire Adept. The class gives you an at-will breath weapon, as well as plenty of skills, built-in durability (breath weapon scales with Con AND you get natural armor), and invocations to further tweak what you can do.

The trick becomes making that a martially-capable character. Honestly, a 1 or 2 level dip in DFA is good, and if you grab the Dragonfire Strike feat(Dragon Magic too) it'll add effects from your breath weapon to Sneak/Skirmish attacks.

This (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870954/The_New_Dragonfire_Adept_Handbook!) is an excellent resource for all things DFA.

Kurtmuran
2011-11-08, 11:17 AM
if you want a homebrew character this is the answer

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166793

or

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11507142#post11507142

doing whitout homebrew its a bit hard to make

Igneel
2011-11-09, 10:57 AM
Hmm... A Natsu-like character huh?

Well right off the bat I would have to agree to Kurtmuran's two suggestions at the very least, albeit there might be some need to alter them.

I was complimented that my own homebrew was Natsu-like but I wouldn't suggest using it since its still very much a WIP and imho not as close as the two above. But your more then welcome to take at least a look if your interested, its in my sig.

Maybe you could also 'remake' a feat in Complete Adventurer [if memory serves] that allows certain class features between two classes [ex: Sorcerer/Monk] to continue growing as you gain levels between the two classes? Except maybe you could change it so that instead of the Sorcerer/Monk it be a feat for Dragonfire Adept?

Barring Homebrew, I know that Monks have a class variant in Dragon Magic that lets them punch using a single element they choose at level 1 that I believe scales [away from book so forgive me for not getting into greater detail]. Everything else I can think of has already been mentioned.

Good luck with your endeavors!

PowerGamer
2011-11-09, 05:03 PM
On topic of Dragon Fire Adept, my DM and I had this arguement about DFA verses Dragon Shaman. DS whooped DFA. So which would make a better Natsu? I'm thankful for all the help I am receiving!!

zegram 33
2011-11-09, 07:58 PM
kurtmanns first link especially is just natsu to a T if you choose either fire or maybe heaven styles, so if you can swing using a homebrewed class thats the one to go for id say

Hyooz
2011-11-10, 02:45 AM
On topic of Dragon Fire Adept, my DM and I had this arguement about DFA verses Dragon Shaman. DS whooped DFA. So which would make a better Natsu? I'm thankful for all the help I am receiving!!

That's silly. A well played DFA shuts down entire encounters pretty effortlessly. Dragon Shaman have... auras.

Homebrew is probably the best way to go if direct replication of Natsu is your goal. If you want close to Natsu while sticking to printed rules, here's my suggestion:

DFA 2/Totemist 2/Barbarian 2 then whatever. You take DFA for the breath weapon, Totemist to get a Bite attack via soulmelds (and other magically effects that could be used to replicate more Natsu-ness) and Barbarian for rage. Grab the feat Furious Inhalation (Races of the Dragon). Furious Inhalation adds breath weapon damage to bite attacks while raging.

Now, Natsu isn't exactly famed for biting people, but what you do from there is just tweak the flavor of the bite attacks you're delivering. Keep the same damage and function, but call it Fire Dragon's Wing or Horn or what-have-you. Most DMs should go for this, since it's a purely aestetic change, and you did the work to get everything mechanically. Now you have a breath weapon you can use every round, some good melee capability through the proper soulmelds and barbarian-ness, and fire-laced attacks while raging.

Just shout "nakama" any time you rage and BAM, Natsu. Or at least a close representation.

PowerGamer
2011-11-10, 06:38 AM
So it's 6:40 am and I'm reading through the Totemist class and am really really confused... I'm so lame

Analytica
2011-11-10, 10:49 AM
So it's 6:40 am and I'm reading through the Totemist class and am really really confused... I'm so lame

Not really. Incarnum isn't exactly the most easily accessible magical subsystem... :smallsmile:

Igneel
2011-11-10, 11:14 AM

I would like to strongly disagree, especially if using the WotC printed version of the Dragon Shaman. It is arguably one of the weakest 'melee' classes there is. Why else do you think there are so many 'fixes' for the Dragon Shaman, but not so much for the Dragonfire adept?

Going to have to agree with Hyooz, since Dragonfire Adepts can be much more then just plain Blasters but Field Control and other things. Whenever I play one I try for a Swiss-Army Knife style build with Humanoid Shape and a few other invocations all the while retaining my Blasting which contributes to Field Control. Entangling Exhalation+Slow Breath is one of my all time favorite tricks to pull.

Dragon shamans sadly only get Power Attack with Entangling Exhalation every 1d4 rounds. Sure they can get Metabreaths easier then Dragonfire Adepts [there are ways] but the breath weapon isn't their main feature really. The auras could of been made better imho. As much as I love the aura system, I only use homebrew Dragon Shamans because of their lack of versatility.

Don't feel bad. Incarnum is very much like the Nine Swords in that if you have it, typically you will find a use for it, if not then it goes over your head as Optimizers like to use them at least as dips.

Hyooz
2011-11-10, 01:49 PM
Yeah, Incarnum is rough to figure out the first time. Once you get a grasp of it, though, it turns pretty awesome. Very versatile system.

Really, totemist isn't necessary to the build. It's mostly there to get you a bite attack. If you make your race a longtooth shifter, or somehow get a bite attack otherwise, the rest still works.

PowerGamer
2011-11-10, 03:56 PM
Reread through Totemist. It looks fun but I think for this build I'll stay away from it. Curiouis if the Barbarian levels were for more melee, because going striaght Dragonfire Adept looks fine to me

Taverick
2011-11-11, 02:22 AM
I was actually making a similar character. I decided on pure dfa with a strongheart halfling (Faerun players guide) with the glimmer skin template (Dragon Magic). But for you I'll suggest a few alternatives that would work. But first I'd like to discuss the difference between Dragon fire adepts and dragon shamans.

Dragon Fire adepts are nice if you want a breath weapon right off the back and invocations. They also get some nice breath affects which allow them to change the type of damage and affect their breath weapon does on top of their ability to do either a 30ft cone or 60ft line of fire. Their dragon kin ability is also cool alongside the bonus feat dragontouched which allows them to qualify for dragon heritage feats which are the bomb. Their scales are pretty cool too. The one downside that I can really find to them is that they cannot qualify for metabreath feats such as furious inhilation, since their breath weapon is at will instead of every few rounds. This is where Dragon shamans beat them hands down. The better HD and BA on DS are equal to the ability to use invocations. The DS auras are also nice for support to the other players. But the fact that DS's don't get their breath weapon till lvl 4 is kinda a downer (if you don't take into the affect that their breath weapon energy type and shape never changes). I see the appeal of both classes, and depending on the starting level of the campaign I would play either, but for level 1 I like DFA.

Now for you I would start off with a level of DFA, maybe take a few more levels in it till you get to the scales ability, then multi class into Monk or Battle Dancer. That would give you the unarmed combat ability you need. I'd honestly stay away from warlock or totemist for Natsu, but that's just me. The feat monastic training allows you to freely multiclass between monk and one other class, and perhaps going into the Martial Monk variant would be beneficial to you. Battle Dancer is nice with it's Cha based abilities, which ties into the DFA's invocations. BD come with some fancy maneuvering that could also aid you there. DFA's also get an ability at higher level that lets them use a targeted dispel magic to gain temp hit points, effectivily devouring magic.

DFA is one of my favorites for allowing characters to qualify for dragon hertiage feats, one of which gives you resistance to the energy type of the dragon you choose (for natsu red-fire of course) equal to 3x # of draconic feats you have. Also draconic skin which ups the scales ability of the DFA. Combine these with Draconic toughness for extra hp, senses for a bonus to spot and listen (as well as lowlight and darkvision) and power for a caster lvl boost and you're pretty much set. Combine that with the basically at will abilities of the Battle dancer and you've got a competant melee fighter with some fire power. Or take the Martial Monk variant and use the monk bonus feats to augment your unarmed strike.

These are my suggestions, but you're free to build it as you see fit.

Roderick_BR
2011-11-11, 08:49 AM
Something interesting to note, is that in FairyTail, you have many different kinds of spellcasters, including many warrior-mage variants (Natsu himself is a warrior/fire blaster, gray is an ice elementarist with some focus in fighting, and Elza is a fighter with some summoner(objects, no creatures), while Lucy is the only "pure" caster, being a summoner with special material focus (and creature summoning only)), so you can get away with any kind of class here. ToB characters could be used and be explained as just another kind of magic user (just make his maneuvers be affected by stuff like dispell, that are rare anyway), and go to town.
Divine characters are pretty much non-existant, and "pure" mages, like D&D's default wizard/sorcerers are very rare, since most styles specializes on a specific area.

Greensleeves
2011-11-11, 08:56 AM
My suggestion would be a Monk/Ardent with the Tashaltora feat from Secrets of Sarlona. Pick Fire as one of your mantles and go to town. By far easiest build for Natsu and basically any shinobi from Naruto as well. Maybe not necessarily the most accurate, but easiest.

Igneel
2011-11-11, 11:38 AM
I was actually making a similar character. I decided on pure dfa with a strongheart halfling (Faerun players guide) with the glimmer skin template (Dragon Magic). But for you I'll suggest a few alternatives that would work. But first I'd like to discuss the difference between Dragon fire adepts and dragon shamans.

Dragon Fire adepts are nice if you want a breath weapon right off the back and invocations. They also get some nice breath affects which allow them to change the type of damage and affect their breath weapon does on top of their ability to do either a 30ft cone or 60ft line of fire. Their dragon kin ability is also cool alongside the bonus feat dragontouched which allows them to qualify for dragon heritage feats which are the bomb. Their scales are pretty cool too. The one downside that I can really find to them is that they cannot qualify for metabreath feats such as furious inhilation, since their breath weapon is at will instead of every few rounds. This is where Dragon shamans beat them hands down. The better HD and BA on DS are equal to the ability to use invocations. The DS auras are also nice for support to the other players. But the fact that DS's don't get their breath weapon till lvl 4 is kinda a downer (if you don't take into the affect that their breath weapon energy type and shape never changes). I see the appeal of both classes, and depending on the starting level of the campaign I would play either, but for level 1 I like DFA.

I would also like to point out that there are ways around the 'no metabreath' for DFA's, the majority of which are legal in most games. I posted something like this in another thread not even a couple days ago, so I will just quote myself.

The Dragonborn factor- Obvious choice as it grows as you gain levels, and your able to change it to a different element to augment your own Dragonfire Adept breath. Also good with the Crown of the North Winds [Dragons of Faerun?] item. Only downside is losing most beneficial base race abilities [I've heard this includes Human bonus feats?]
Power Surge [as mentioned in the DFA Guides, Dragon #313]- If your Dm allows material from Dragon Magazines this is by far one of the simplest methods. I have yet to have a Dm allow it though which is why I depend on other methods.
Other Classes that grant Breath Weapons- Another method that tends to be a waste of levels. Typically I skip this.
Metabolic Fire dragon graft [Races of the Dragon]- Expensive way to meet the requirements [56k gp], but if your starting a Mid-High level game shouldn't be too hard to obtain.

I'm pretty sure [since I've asked this multiple times in the past, but I always ask the DM first] that upon obtaining a breath weapon that has a recharge that is expressed in rounds you can apply any Metabreath feat to any breath you have. So by going at least the Dragonborn/Dragonfire Adept/Metabolic Fire method you have 3 breaths you can apply your metabreaths too with two of them granting you access.

Albeit of the ways I listed, the Power Surge is probably the closest thing to Natsu unless you want to go the Dragonborn route.

Now for you I would start off with a level of DFA, maybe take a few more levels in it till you get to the scales ability, then multi class into Monk or Battle Dancer. That would give you the unarmed combat ability you need. I'd honestly stay away from warlock or totemist for Natsu, but that's just me. The feat monastic training allows you to freely multiclass between monk and one other class, and perhaps going into the Martial Monk variant would be beneficial to you. Battle Dancer is nice with it's Cha based abilities, which ties into the DFA's invocations. BD come with some fancy maneuvering that could also aid you there. DFA's also get an ability at higher level that lets them use a targeted dispel magic to gain temp hit points, effectivily devouring magic.

DFA is one of my favorites for allowing characters to qualify for dragon hertiage feats, one of which gives you resistance to the energy type of the dragon you choose (for natsu red-fire of course) equal to 3x # of draconic feats you have. Also draconic skin which ups the scales ability of the DFA. Combine these with Draconic toughness for extra hp, senses for a bonus to spot and listen (as well as lowlight and darkvision) and power for a caster lvl boost and you're pretty much set. Combine that with the basically at will abilities of the Battle dancer and you've got a competant melee fighter with some fire power. Or take the Martial Monk variant and use the monk bonus feats to augment your unarmed strike.

These are my suggestions, but you're free to build it as you see fit.

I think going Monk/Battle Dancer more or less harps on what I was suggesting earlier by using the Draconic Fist class variant [Dragon Magic] that replaces your 1st lvl Monk bonus feat for the ability to deal a energy type damage in addition to your unarmed damage a number of times per day = class level as your 'Dragon Claw' and 'Dragon Wing' attacks.

Or as Roderick_BR pointed out, maybe something along the lines of a DFA+ToB class [Swordsage Desert Wind?] that goes into Jade Phoenix Mage [granted you need a way to full-fill the spellcasting requirement] might be an interesting alternative. Of course I'm not exactly all the heavy of a ToB user so I could just be semi-quoting the DFA guide...

PowerGamer
2011-11-11, 06:15 PM
I have nothing against monks, except that I play them way too often... I'm looking at going straight into DFAdept. Talked to one of my DMs. He says no metabreaths. So looking at racially being human with the call of bahamut(heart) so that I can get a breath attack by rounds and then take metabreath feats. Is this a good idea?

The whole Natsu idea is poping at the seems for an effective DFA just dressed with him. Looking at long spear and animated sheild combo

Taverick
2011-11-13, 01:06 AM
I would also like to point out that there are ways around the 'no metabreath' for DFA's, the majority of which are legal in most games. I posted something like this in another thread not even a couple days ago, so I will just quote myself.

I would like to apologise for a mistake on my part. I wasn't aware that there were metabreath feats in the Dragon Magic book that allowed use with non-round based breath weapons.

I have nothing against monks, except that I play them way too often... I'm looking at going straight into DFAdept. Talked to one of my DMs. He says no metabreaths. So looking at racially being human with the call of bahamut(heart) so that I can get a breath attack by rounds and then take metabreath feats. Is this a good idea?

The whole Natsu idea is poping at the seems for an effective DFA just dressed with him. Looking at long spear and animated sheild combo

If you wanna look like a dragon, dragonborn are cool. Their breath weapon is kinda short to begin with, but it would work for the round based breath weapons.

I suggested the Battle Dancer as it would give some fist power without having to have another stat to rely on for AC and abilities, but eh.

PowerGamer
2011-11-13, 07:21 AM
Taverick-
I suggested the Battle Dancer as it would give some fist power without having to have another stat to rely on for AC and abilities, but eh.

Problem with making this as Natsu as posible is that a DFA was meant as a support class. Fists put me to close to combat for this type of character. In the last post I mentioned a weapon combo of long spear and animated sheild. As nice as it would be to have a true natsu character, I still want it to run smoothly

PowerGamer
2011-11-15, 08:27 PM
DM rules not metabreath feats can be applied to DFA's breath weapon, wich is fine, so switching heart for wings. Using a DFA guide on wizards of te coast main site. Quite helpful all in all

What are we lookin at now-
DFA
Human Dragonborn (wings)
Longspear
animated sheild (darkwood or mithral) (Not necesary)
mithral chainshirt

What I still need-
Finalized list of breaths, Invocations, Feats, and Items

Tvtyrant
2011-11-15, 08:51 PM
Why don't you go with Dragonshaman, where metamagic feats actually do apply and the breathe weapon is actually stronger?

PowerGamer
2011-11-16, 09:50 PM
Why don't you go with Dragonshaman, where metamagic feats actually do apply and the breathe weapon is actually stronger?

Because it has been tested and DFA will always prevail even as a support class. Yes you don't get the metabreath feats but the invocations win anyday. It's all how you play it. I'll post my plans once they are finalized.

Taverick
2011-11-20, 03:21 AM
One of the better invocations is enduring exposure, which grants your allies the endure elements spell while also making them immune to your breath weapon. Always nice to not have to aim around them. Another good one is the magic insight, a near constant detect magic and the quickest low level identify in the game. But a fun one for a Natsu type character would be scalding dust. A gust of wind effect that ALWAYS deals fire damage regardless of save equal to the caster lvl of the DFA (usually character lvl but that can be boosted with the draconic power feat).

PowerGamer
2011-11-23, 02:27 PM
Sorry... I've been busy with somethings so have not had time to finish my DFA plan. I dont think im letting any of you down if i dont get around to posting. But thank you for all who contributed it really helped

Taverick
2012-03-15, 08:55 AM
So we ever gonna hear how you built this character?

PowerGamer
2012-03-15, 05:29 PM
Funny story... I'm still waiting for my local library campaign to finish up (it's only once a month so takes a long time) and then I'll build it (also kinda forgot about this build :smalltongue: )

P.S. That campaign is wrapping up this month possiby (unless I ruin the 2 DMs plans... as usual :smallcool: )