PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Mage [P.E.A.C.H.]

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-07, 02:56 PM
{table=head] Level | Bab | Fort | Ref | Will | Class Abilities |Spells per Day
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Power of the Heavenly Bodies, Celestial Shielding, Turn Undead |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Heavens Purge (+1)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
3|+2|+1|+1|+3||+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
4|+3|+1|+1|+4|Heavens Purge (+2)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
5|+3|+1|+1|+4|Lunisolar Cycle|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
6|+4|+2|+2|+5|Heavens Purge (+3)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
7|+5|+2|+2|+5||+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
8|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Heavens Purge (+4)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
9|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6||+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
10|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Heavens Purge (+5), Suns Grace and Moons Blessing|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class[/table]

Hit Die: d10

Requirements:
Feats: Iron Will, Extra Turning
Spells: Able to cast 3rd level divine spells.
Domains: Must have chosen either the Sun or Moon Domain.

Class Skills: The Eclipse Mage class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge: Religion (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)

Skill Points at Each Level
4+Int modifier

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Eclipse Mage's are proficient with Simple and Martial weapons, as well as Light Armor but not shields.

Spells per Day: When a new Eclipse Mage level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if they had also gained a level in any one divine spellcasting class they belonged to previously. They do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that they add the level of Eclipse Mage to the level of whatever other divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before they became an Eclipse Mage, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Eclipse Mage for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Power of the Heavenly Bodies: An Eclipse Mage gains the ability to cast two domain spells per day of each level of spell they have, instead of just one domain spell from either domain available but only one from each of their domains.

Celestial Shielding: An Eclipse Mage gets their Charisma Bonus as a deflection modifier to their AC. An Eclipse Mage only gains this bonus only when they are wearing Light or no Armor.

Turn Undead: An Eclipse Mage adds their Eclipse Mage class levels to their cleric level for all purposes related to turning Undead.

Heavens Purge: At 2nd level and every other level after (4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th) Eclipse Mage gains an extra use of a Domain granted power per day. (2/day at 2nd, 3/day at 4th, and so on until 6/day at 10th)

Lunisolar Cycle: At 5th level an Eclipse Mage begins to better understand the cycle of the Sun and Moon and how they relate to each other. They discover that there is a third neutral energy that contains both positive and negative energy and that it is good, evil, lawful and chaotic in equal amounts. For all spell affects related to alignment, they can chose to be treated as good and evil, lawful and chaotic. If they spontaneously cast cure spells before they may now cast either cure or inflict if they turned or destroyed undead they may also rebuke or command them. This applies to any domain granted turning as well.

Suns Grace and Moons Blessing: An Eclipse Mage gains the ability to use the added bonuses of their Wisdom and Charisma Modifiers in place of one or the other. (Ex. To determine the bonus from their Celestial Shielding ability an Eclipse Mage would add the bonus from both their Charisma Modifier and their Wisdom Modifier as a deflection bonus to their AC, so long as they are wearing light or no Armor)

Origin&Edits
For the longest time I've wanted to play a class that has something to do with the balance between the Sun and Moon, there's the ACF in Dungeonscape for the bonus spellslot that allows you to cast one spell or another, but I feel Divine spellcasting is a better fit, (Heavenly Bodies and what not) my only wish was that the Moon Domain didn't focus on detering Lycanthropes, but I figure scouring the earth of Undead and Werebeasts is as good a cause as any for this class to help out with. And the spells have some nice flavour as well. PGtF for Moon Domain or Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_Moondomain&alpha=) for those that don't know of it. (I also thought I made the table right, but guess not. *sigh* everytime)

EDIT: Added more emphasis on turning, added Extra Turning as a prerequisite, but loosened to Domains to either or. Added the stack for Turn Undead.

EDIT#2: Added in Lunisolar Cycle(Working Name, suggestions?) This is the balance focused mechanic I think people said it needed. It also works as a powerful mid-capstone for those who do not wish to take full levels

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-07, 05:06 PM
The ending bit of code should be [/table], not [/table =head]

Hit Die: d10
That's a pretty high HD for a lightly-armored spellcaster.

Requirements:
Feats: Iron Will
Spells: Able to cast 3rd level divine spells.
Domains: Must have chosen the Sun and Moon Domains.
Any particular reason for Iron Will, or just to force prospective players to sacrifice a bit? Also, are there any deities that grant both the Sun and Moon domains?

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Eclipse Mage's are proficient with Simple and Martial weapons, as well as Light Armor but not shields.
I guess you're going for more of a gish type, then?

Power of the Heavenly Bodies: An Eclipse Mage gains the ability to cast two domain spells per day of each level of spell they have, instead of just one domain spell from either domain available but only one from each of their domains.
Looks good, flavorful, and not too overpowering.

Celestial Shielding: An Eclipse Mage gets their Charisma Bonus as a deflection modifier to their AC. An Eclipse Mage only gains this bonus only when they are wearing Light or no Armor.
Alright, no problem here. Rewards light armor nicely, and actually gives some incentive to wear it over heavy plate.

Heavens Purge: At 2nd level and every other level after (4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th) Eclipse Mage gains an extra use of a Domain granted power per day. (2/day at 2nd, 3/day at 4th, and so on until 6/day at 10th)
Alright, works with the domain focus and all.

Suns Grace and Moons Blessing: An Eclipse Mage gains the ability to use the added bonuses of their Wisdom and Charisma Modifiers in place of one or the other. (Ex. To determine the bonus from their Celestial Shielding ability an Eclipse Mage would add the bonus from both their Charisma Modifier and their Wisdom Modifier as a deflection bonus to their AC, so long as they are wearing light or no Armor)
That's... quite good for a divine caster. On the other hand, Clerics get full plate, so...

It's not bad, but... huh. There's a bit of a focus on domains, and a bit on fighting in light armor. None of the abilities really focus on balance, though. One suggestion might be to get a bonus on caster level when you alternate between Moon and Sun domain spells.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-07, 05:54 PM
The ending bit of code should be [/table], not [/table =head]

That's a pretty high HD for a lightly-armored spellcaster.

Any particular reason for Iron Will, or just to force prospective players to sacrifice a bit? Also, are there any deities that grant both the Sun and Moon domains?

I guess you're going for more of a gish type, then?

Looks good, flavorful, and not too overpowering.

Alright, no problem here. Rewards light armor nicely, and actually gives some incentive to wear it over heavy plate.

Alright, works with the domain focus and all.

That's... quite good for a divine caster. On the other hand, Clerics get full plate, so...

It's not bad, but... huh. There's a bit of a focus on domains, and a bit on fighting in light armor. None of the abilities really focus on balance, though. One suggestion might be to get a bonus on caster level when you alternate between Moon and Sun domain spells.

Fixed, Thanks, one little error, go figure.

True, but I felt bad that a higher HD would give a little more incentive to play the class, same as the 4+Int skills, There's many other Cleric PRC's that far surpass this.

Sacrifice, and the fact that I feel that they would have a very focused mind and hard to shake. And no there's not, but I am debating making one.

Little bit, but something more as incentive to play it.

That's the goal of everything I do. :)

It came as an idea from the monk and that the sun and moon worshipers usually had primitive armor or no armor, compared to the heavy you'd find clerics in.

The entire class is pretty much a domain bump.

It's more than just the AC, it's any situation. So with a skill check for diplomacy they add both Charisma and Wisdom, to determine spells, Charisma and Wisdom, Will Save Charisma and Wisdom. Turning both Undead and Lycanthropes. It's the capstone.

The core idea was a light armor divine caster/tertiary melee that focuses on the abilities on the sun and moon. Hence all the Domain spell boosting and the end result of an extra six daily uses of granted powers. With a good reason to play it.

Chaos_Laicosin
2011-11-07, 06:45 PM
You could maybe add a feature that gives combat and/or skill and/or ability bonuses based on whether it is day or night.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-08, 07:45 AM

You could maybe add a feature that gives combat and/or skill and/or ability bonuses based on whether it is day or night.

Any suggestions on what something like that might be? Or how to implement it?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-08, 11:28 AM
Any suggestions on what something like that might be? Or how to implement it?

I think I found a neat balance mechanic in "Lunisolar Dance" let me know if it's too powerful or what not. I feels like a capstone ability to me, but it could work for those who don't want to take all 10 levels.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-11, 07:00 AM
Need a review of "Lunisolar Cycle"
Bump.
Thank You

Chaos_Laicosin
2011-11-11, 11:31 AM
Bump.
Thank You

It seems to be both handy and harmful, as they would also be considered lawful/chaotic/good/evil for all the protection spells, detect spells, smite spells, etc.

Definitely a flavourful ability.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-12, 01:00 PM

The positive and negative energy channeling aspects are quite good, but I'm a bit worried about counting as all alignments for the purposes of spells. It's flavorful, and I'm sure there are times when it would be useful, but it means that any sort of Blasphemy or Dispel Evil attack is going to hit you. If you make that aspect optional ("For all spell affects related to alignment, they can chose to be treated as good and evil, lawful and chaotic") then the drawbacks go away.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-16, 02:24 PM
The positive and negative energy channeling aspects are quite good, but I'm a bit worried about counting as all alignments for the purposes of spells. It's flavorful, and I'm sure there are times when it would be useful, but it means that any sort of Blasphemy or Dispel Evil attack is going to hit you. If you make that aspect optional ("For all spell affects related to alignment, they can chose to be treated as good and evil, lawful and chaotic") then the drawbacks go away.

Thank you, that is exactly what it needed. +1.

jiriku
2011-11-17, 01:56 AM
I like the style of this, and it's an interesting theme to play around with. Applying the name "mage" to a divine caster seems a little odd, though. Perhaps something like Eclipse Disciple or Eclipse Devotee would be more appropriate.

Power Level:I am concerned about power creep. Compared to a cleric, the EM gains:
+1 spell per day at levels 1 - 9
+2 skill points per level for 10 levels
+1 hp per die for 10 levels, on average
proficiency with all martial weapons
+Cha and +Wis as a deflection bonus to AC
+5 daily uses of all domain abilities
access to spells of opposed alignment descriptors
rebuke undead and spontaneous inflict, or turn undead and spontaneous cure
+Cha and +Wis to everything that's either Wisdom- or Charisma-based

To gain these benefits, the cleric sacrifices

-4 Fortitude save
one cruddy feat choice, which can be obtained from a magical location valued at 3,000gp.

I know that some prestige classes are straightforward upgrades on their base classes, but this feels like a rather large bite to swallow, especially for a base class that's already so powerful. You really need 9/10 casting on this beast.

All Features: Need to be identified as (ex), (su), or (sp).

Lunisolar Cycle: While it builds a theme of using oppositional magics, this needs to be fleshed out further. In particular, while you've granted the ability to cast these spells, the EM is still vulnerable to the consequences. Namely, casting [evil] spells, animating the dead, and maintaining a cadre of evil-aligned undead servants are all evil acts and will eventually precipitate an alignment change. From a fluff/roleplaying perspective, I'm thinking that an EM who enters this class as a cleric of Pelor would find that his superiors take a very dim view of animating and rebuking the hated enemies of the church.

Sun's Grace and Moon's Blessing: This feature is in serious need of nerfing. The open-ended nature of the bonus, the fact that it stacks what are probably the character's two highest stats, in a manner that stacks with bonuses from all other sources, applicable to turn and rebuke checks, attack rolls (via Zen Archery), saving throws (via divine grace and similar features), and many skill checks and ability checks, plus any number of class features, creates a situation ripe for abuse. I'd suggest as a more reasonable alternative:

Sun's Grace and Moon's Blessing (Ex): During the day while outdoors, add your Charisma bonus as a competence bonus to all Wisdom-based skill checks and ability checks. At night or underground, add your Wisdom bonus as a competence bonus to all Charisma-based skill checks and ability checks.

Overall Flavor: For an eclipse-themed class, the features have remarkably little to do with the sun, the moon, or eclipses thereof. It's rather remarkably that not one of your features references either of them. I'd suggest a few changes:

Power of the Heavenly Bodies: You gain either the Sun domain or the Moon domain, whichever you do not already possess. You gain one additional domain slot at each level of divine spells you can cast. When you prepare spells in these bonus domain slots, you may prepare two spells in each slot, one from the Moon domain and one from the Sun domain. During daylight hours outdoors, only your Sun domain spells can be cast from these slots, while the Moon domain spells can be cast only at night or underground. During solar or lunar eclipse, you may cast either spell. However, casting either of the spells prepared in a bonus domain slot expends the spell slot.

Celestial Shielding (Su): Outdoors during daylight, you may ignore the effects of spells with the [darkness] descriptor. At night or underground, you may ignore the effects of spells with the [light] descriptor. Additionally, you are immune to the and [dazzled] conditions, and creatures in shadowy illumination do not receive concealment against you.

[B]Lunisolar Cycle (Ex):Lunisolar Cycle (Su): You cast spells with the [darkness] or [light] descriptors at +1 caster level.

Now, these ideas are pretty different from what you have right now, and I'm sure you won't like some (or maybe all) of them. But perhaps they'll give you some good ideas for abilities of your own.