PDA

View Full Version : Starting with Warmachine, completely new to the wargaming hobby

ArqArturo
2011-11-07, 03:22 PM
Ok, so I decided to order a basic package for Warmachine (the Khador battlegroup) on Amazon, since the hobby store here doesn't sell miniatures (yet), and I have some doubts.

Since there's only about three hobby stores here (small town), and they all cater to the RPG/Card game crowd, no one really sells most of the paints required for the minis. However, there are a few really good art supply stores. Taking this into consideration, what kind of paints are good for painting minis?.

Cristo Meyers
2011-11-07, 08:42 PM
Re: Paints

You could actually order the paints direct from any gaming company (Games Workshop, Reaper miniatures, etc). But that can get pretty expensive.

Personally, I haven't actually used a "miniatures paint" for quite some time. All of my paint is various brands of acrylic paints you can get at any craft store (I think the majority of my paints are some brand called FolkArt). I have yet to notice a real difference between my (http://www.flickr.com/photos/97744147@N00/3778247698/in/photostream) minis (http://www.flickr.com/photos/97744147@N00/3778243624/in/photostream) and anyone else's. Just don't forget to seal them with matte finish when you're done!

ArqArturo
2011-11-08, 12:21 AM
Hmm, I think I have some matte from my early architecture school days. Thanks on the info on acrylic paint. And, btw, are those Chaos space marines?.

Cristo Meyers
2011-11-08, 11:00 AM
Hmm, I think I have some matte from my early architecture school days. Thanks on the info on acrylic paint. And, btw, are those Chaos space marines?.

Yup, Chaos Space Marines.

You may also need to thin down the paints a little before you use them. Just a little water on the brush to mix in is usually enough.

Penguinizer
2011-11-08, 06:32 PM
The only difference between "miniature" and normal acrylics is that the miniature paints are a bit thinner out of the tube/pot/thing.

My preference currently goes to Vallejo. While you have to shake them a fair bit, the paints itself are nice quality and they don't dry as much because they're in squeezebottle/dripper-ish things. It makes mixing paints easier than with GW paint pots. The fact that it comes in bottles also means that it doesn't dry as fast as having to open and close the pot constantly.

revolver kobold
2011-11-08, 08:17 PM
I second the Vallejo paints. Switched to them from Citadel and have never looked back. SOme of the colours are a bit thin, but after a few coats, you get a much better and smoother finish.

The eyedrop bottles make mixing paints and remembering exactly how many of each colour a breeze. I splashed out and got myself this: http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=val_hob_gcl_set_012_000, more than enough colours to mix pretty much any other colour.

Citadel still do the best washes and inks though.

ArqArturo
2011-11-09, 04:23 PM
Hmm, I think I have seen Vallejo paints here, so I might take a look there.

In the case of rocks, grass, and whatnot, would pieces of cork be useful for rocks? And, how reliable is the green stuff for making accesories (cloaks, extra weapons, etc.)? I've used it before, but on bigger quantities, and in metal and wood, so using it in such smaller quantities is kinda new (and difficult, I've been practicing) :smalleek:.

Mx.Silver
2011-11-09, 06:29 PM
Re: Paints

You could actually order the paints direct from any gaming company (Games Workshop, Reaper miniatures, etc). But that can get pretty expensive.

Personally, I haven't actually used a "miniatures paint" for quite some time. All of my paint is various brands of acrylic paints you can get at any craft store (I think the majority of my paints are some brand called FolkArt).
^ This. Just don't forget to thin the paints a bit before you start painting.
In regards to painting, while it's tempting to just stick to painting flat colours when you're starting out, it really helps to get into the habit of doing at least basic shading and highlighting early on.

In the case of rocks, grass, and whatnot, would pieces of cork be useful for rocks? And, how reliable is the green stuff for making accesories (cloaks, extra weapons, etc.)? It's rather dependent on your skill really. For weapons having access to plasticard can also be useful.

Cristo Meyers
2011-11-09, 08:25 PM
Hmm, I think I have seen Vallejo paints here, so I might take a look there.

In the case of rocks, grass, and whatnot, would pieces of cork be useful for rocks? And, how reliable is the green stuff for making accesories (cloaks, extra weapons, etc.)? I've used it before, but on bigger quantities, and in metal and wood, so using it in such smaller quantities is kinda new (and difficult, I've been practicing) :smalleek:.

For rocks I've either used actual pebbles or insulation foam. Not the kind of foam that you find as packaging in boxes, usually the cells are just to big for that, but the kind that's sold in sheets and used in buildings. With a little practice with a foam cutter you can make pretty decent looking rocks and stones. I've never used cork or heard of anyone using it, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

I've seen people use green stuff for everything from small accessories to entire models with varying degrees of success. You could easily make weapons and the like with it with some practice and the right materials (like the plasticard Mr.Silver mentioned).

ArqArturo
2011-11-10, 12:37 AM
For rocks I've either used actual pebbles or insulation foam. Not the kind of foam that you find as packaging in boxes, usually the cells are just to big for that, but the kind that's sold in sheets and used in buildings. With a little practice with a foam cutter you can make pretty decent looking rocks and stones. I've never used cork or heard of anyone using it, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

I've seen people use green stuff for everything from small accessories to entire models with varying degrees of success. You could easily make weapons and the like with it with some practice and the right materials (like the plasticard Mr.Silver mentioned).

Hmm, I'm guessing actual pebbles could work. And for grass, either the green dust they sell in art stores (haven't used it in years, lol) could work.

Ok, I'm actually getting excited to get my hands on the minis and start working.

And this is not the green stuff I'm used to (http://youtu.be/piFS2cIPZ40). :smallcool: