PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an LA reducer?

Metahuman1
2011-11-07, 03:32 PM
Ok, building a character for an IRL game. I'm gonna use Barbarian as the Chassie with a bit of Warblade and maybe an unarmed swordsage level tacked on to give me some additional options, Might also dip Cleric for Travel Devotion and either Strength or Animal devotion. DM is making up his mind about stat generation, but has it down to either 4d6 drop lowest reroll one's, or a 34 point buy.

I'm toying with PrC's, giving consideration to Fist of the Forest and Frenzied Breserker, and maybe a dip into Exotic weapons master depending on what weapon the character favors. Still back and forth on that.

That is however not the problem I'm having.

I've got some templates Green lighted to use. Half Minotaur and Mineral Warrior. I'm looking at Water Orc base race. The game starts at level five, and I'd have an LA of two with this.

So, should I see if I can talk the Dm into letting me reduce the LA on one of theses OR Drop one to get the LA down to LA one, or would I still be able to do something and survive with two lost class levels?

Bloodgruve
2011-11-07, 03:45 PM
There is an LA Buy Off system in Unearthed Arcana. Not exactally sure how it works but I think, as you hit certain levels, you can pay exp to reduce the LA. This allows you to catch up to the party and reduce the effect of losing class levels due to LA.

Others on this forum have better understanding of the system than I though ;)

GL
Blood~

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-07, 03:46 PM
If you can buy off level adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm), then it should go something like this:

Water Orc Half-Minotuar (both inherited), +1 LA;
Gain 3 class levels;
Pay 3,000 XP to reduce that +1 LA to zero;
Acquire Mineral Warrior, +1 LA;
Gain 3 class levels;
Pay 6,000 XP to reduce that +1 LA to zero.

So assuming you would start at the minimum 10,000 XP for 5th level, you would instead start out at 7,000 XP for ECL 4, with a +1 LA. You'll hit your next level before anyone else does, and you can catch up soon enough after buying off that last point of level adjustment. I'd recommend Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) mostly for the 10% XP bonus, plus you can upgrade that item as though you had the right item creation feats, so you'll probably want to make it your weapon. I'd use a +1 Kaorti Resin Scimitar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) if you want Uncanny Blow from Exotic Weapon Master, but that's extra feats you probably shouldn't spend. Go Wolf-Totem Whirling Frenzy Lion Spirit Barbarian 2/ Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2/ Warblade 2/ (Exotic Weapon Master 1/) Frenzied Berserker, and be sure to get Knock-Back in RoS and Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown).

Toliudar
2011-11-07, 03:48 PM
Given the choice, I would definitely try to get the LA buyoff in place, for the long-term survivability of your character. A front-line character with three levels of barbarian is going to have difficulty holding their own alongside 5th level casters, no matter how big and strong he is. You don't have the hit points or overall robustness. The templates you've picked are plenty powerful, but I'd still drop one if LA buyoff isn't allowed.

Tokuhara
2011-11-07, 03:48 PM
Ok, building a character for an IRL game. I'm gonna use Barbarian as the Chassie with a bit of Warblade and maybe an unarmed swordsage level tacked on to give me some additional options, Might also dip Cleric for Travel Devotion and either Strength or Animal devotion. DM is making up his mind about stat generation, but has it down to either 4d6 drop lowest reroll one's, or a 34 point buy.

I'm toying with PrC's, giving consideration to Fist of the Forest and Frenzied Breserker, and maybe a dip into Exotic weapons master depending on what weapon the character favors. Still back and forth on that.

That is however not the problem I'm having.

I've got some templates Green lighted to use. Half Minotaur and Mineral Warrior. I'm looking at Water Orc base race. The game starts at level five, and I'd have an LA of two with this.

So, should I see if I can talk the Dm into letting me reduce the LA on one of theses OR Drop one to get the LA down to LA one, or would I still be able to do something and survive with two lost class levels?

Spirit-Lion Bear Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Warblade 6/Zhentrim Dungeoncrasher Fighter 7/Fist of the Forest 4 gives you a lot of goodies. Use your substantial Con modifier to extend your RAGE!!! and give you more AC. Use the standard intimidating rage/Imperious command/Never Outnumbered combo with Zhentrim, standard bullrush shenanigans with pounce+dungeoncrasher+shock trooper, and have maneuvers for when charging isn't an option

Metahuman1
2011-11-07, 04:02 PM
Hmmm, interesting options.

Last game I did a Dungeoncrasher, so I'm a wee bit burnt out on Bulls rush tricks at the moment (Not that it wasn't fun. I had Battle Jump a one level Spirit Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian Dip, a Cleric Dip for Travel and Strength Devotion, and an Exotic weapons Master dip to get double Str Mod on my Samurai (Social tital only I swear!) characters Katana, then I had the six levels of Dungeon Crasher, and the Knock Back, battle jump and Rampaging Bulls rush feat's and a level of Warblade. Sudden Leap, Full bulls rush full powered attack from the high ground on a charge, and then Travel devotion move away to set up next round. =) )

Ok, so the answer is LA buy off is the general conciseness. honestly I should have though of that myself, :smallredface: but thank you, I'm very glad someone pointed that out to me.

Heck, given the Fact that there's a Druid and a Wizard in the party, I might even talk the DM into letting me just write out an extra long back-story and ruling that not only did I buy off both Templates at level three, but since then I've done more stuff then the rest of the party and thus I'm all caught up on my levels! (I know, sounds broke, but Wizard and Druid. Not sure what the other two guys are doing though. )

Thank you all for the help!

P.S.: Biffoniacus_Furiou: Thanks for the Item Familiar + Kaorti Resin weapon idea. If I don't opt for Unarmed/Natural attacks as the theme of the build I'm so doing that!