PDA

View Full Version : More spells known (sorcerer)

DoctorGlock
2011-11-07, 04:53 PM
I heard a feat mentioned that lets a sorcerer swap spells out at every level, anyone know what the feat is and what it is called?

Also there was a cyst feat that gave you a load of known spells, anyone know that as well?

Mooncrow
2011-11-07, 04:56 PM
I heard a feat mentioned that lets a sorcerer swap spells out at every level, anyone know what the feat is and what it is called?

Also there was a cyst feat that gave you a load of known spells, anyone know that as well?

Mother CystLM is the cyst one

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-07, 04:57 PM
Mother Cyst in Libris Mortis gives you a set list of spells known.

A level in the Sand Shaper prestige class in Sandstorm gives you a bunch of spells known.

The Bloodline feats in Dragon Compendium each give a spell known of every spell level.

Runestaves in MIC allow you to cast the spells they contain as though you knew them. Make one an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) or an Ancestral Relic (BoED) and you can add whatever spells you want to it whenever you upgrade it.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-07, 05:07 PM
it's for E6 so it has to be something on a budget and early if possible

Eldest
2011-11-07, 05:36 PM
In E6, Mother Cyst and a bloodline feat are probably your best bet.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-07, 05:43 PM
In E6, Mother Cyst and a bloodline feat are probably your best bet.

Grabbed them both. I just thought that there was a feat or ACF that let me switch out every level to maximize effectiveness

Keld Denar
2011-11-07, 05:49 PM
I've never heard of such a feat, sorry.

How would that help you anyway? In E6, once you hit 6th level, you wouldn't gain any more levels, so you couldn't swap any more spells. Just make sure you pick solid spells while leveling up.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-07, 05:56 PM
I've never heard of such a feat, sorry.

How would that help you anyway? In E6, once you hit 6th level, you wouldn't gain any more levels, so you couldn't swap any more spells. Just make sure you pick solid spells while leveling up.

It would let me swap out bloodline and cyst spells for the fun ones, provided i grabbed it with a flaw at 1st.

hex0
2011-11-07, 06:58 PM
Knowstones available?

DoctorGlock
2011-11-08, 04:12 PM
Knowstones available?

Yes, but it's for a battle sorcerer so i have combat gear to invest in. I know the arguments as to why BS sucks but the DM rules it as marginally T3 and that's where the cut off is. Frankly, the spells known thing I am doing is probably pushing it back over.

dextercorvia
2011-11-08, 05:01 PM
The feat is Apprentice: Spellcaster from DMGII. It grants spontaneous casters an additional 1st level spell known and the ability to swap a spell known at each level, without the usual maximum of (highest level -1). Combined with Mother Cyst, or a bloodline feat, or both -- it can get you an extra spell known of your choice.

I call it the Necrotic Apprentice -- since Mother Cyst is the better of the two choices.

Hague
2011-11-08, 06:16 PM
Suggested this in the other thread but Dragonpacts from Dragon Magic can give you access to multitudes of castings of spell-like abilities for the cost of a high level spell slot. A pact-bound Adept (PrC) gets greater access to SLAs and improved caster level (to make up for the loss of two caster levels) and the ability to cast 3 spells a day without Verbal or Somatic components. Also, it has good reflex and will saves.

Malachei
2011-11-08, 07:54 PM
Probably a sub-par option, but Heritage Feats can give you spells as spell-like ability. Pretty feat-intense, though, but they're SLAs, and they come with a daily use, as well.

dextercorvia
2011-11-08, 11:09 PM
Probably a sub-par option, but Heritage Feats can give you spells as spell-like ability. Pretty feat-intense, though, but they're SLAs, and they come with a daily use, as well.

The exception being Draconic Legacy which does get you spells known.

Hirax
2011-11-09, 01:09 AM
I believe apprentice (spellcaster) allows you to swap spells at every level. It's in DMG2.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-09, 01:11 AM
Pathfinder has Expanded Arcana (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/expanded-arcana). Better in Pathfinder as there is more feats and so a feat is worth less, but still potentially useful.

mint
2011-11-09, 03:31 AM
There's Drake Helm from the Eberron book "Explorer's Handbook".
If you can find a psion capable of manifesting 4th level powers, psychic reformation let's you change your level-up choices at a scaling XP cost the further back you go. Maybe it only works for powers and not spells though, don't recall.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-09, 04:46 AM
The feat is Apprentice: Spellcaster from DMGII. It grants spontaneous casters an additional 1st level spell known and the ability to swap a spell known at each level, without the usual maximum of (highest level -1). Combined with Mother Cyst, or a bloodline feat, or both -- it can get you an extra spell known of your choice.

I call it the Necrotic Apprentice -- since Mother Cyst is the better of the two choices.

Bingo! We have our winner!

Vizzerdrix
2011-11-09, 05:39 AM
I've seen another feat that works like Mother Cyst, but with spells that focus on the Far Relms. I think it was in a Dragon magazine (333 maybe?)

peacenlove
2011-11-09, 09:22 AM
I've seen another feat that works like Mother Cyst, but with spells that focus on the Far Relms. I think it was in a Dragon magazine (333 maybe?)

Dragon #330
Ritual of the blot, if you read the ritual in the text AFAIR its a bonus feat if you pay 1400 gp and make one dc 26 and one dc 28 knowledge (I think arcanna) check.
Make sure to have a high will save and a method to reroll/ignore 1's on those before making the best out of them.
This price goes down to 400 gp if you visit a dangerous magic location.
It has some great [fear] spells, handy if you play a dread witch, and some lame summoning ones (a decent tanky ooze or 5 at 2nd level, a horrible but hilarious grappler at 4th and 2 summons that turn on you after few rounds)