PDA

View Full Version : Magical items to grant class abilties

Sir_Chivalry
2011-11-07, 05:58 PM
We all know about the magic sets in MIC.

Here's a thought though, how would one go about creating items to grant the powers of less used or useful classes?

My example, the Knight.

It's Bulwark of Defense, armour reducing abilites and Knight's Challenge are all fairly cool, and would work wonders on a tank.

What would the cost be for an item that granted Bulwark of Defense? Armour mastery (I think)? Knight's Challenge?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-11-07, 11:42 PM
It highly depends on the specific ability, there is no formula for this sort of thing because some class abilities are significantly stronger or weaker than others. For example, the druid's animal companion is much more important than the druid's nature sense.

Your best bet is to compare the class ability to an existing spell. The rules for items that duplicate spell effects are a good precedent. For example, lay on hands as a 5th level paladin is easily comparable to a cure spell usable a certain number of times per day

Sir_Chivalry
2011-11-08, 01:44 AM
It highly depends on the specific ability, there is no formula for this sort of thing because some class abilities are significantly stronger or weaker than others. For example, the druid's animal companion is much more important than the druid's nature sense.

Your best bet is to compare the class ability to an existing spell. The rules for items that duplicate spell effects are a good precedent. For example, lay on hands as a 5th level paladin is easily comparable to a cure spell usable a certain number of times per day

Well, Bulwark of Defense makes every square you threaten difficult terrain. Any spell that's comparable to?

what about Vigilant Defender, which increases all Tumble checks through squares you threaten by 5? Same as a skill boosting item (52 x 100gp = 2500gp)?

Shield Ally (take half the damage dealt to allies around you) and Improved Shield Ally (once per round take all the damage for an adjacent ally) would both be pretty awesome as shield enhancements.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-11-08, 03:08 AM
what about Vigilant Defender, which increases all Tumble checks through squares you threaten by 5? Same as a skill boosting item (52 x 100gp = 2500gp)?
I guess that could be a +1 shield enhancement. It's a fun ability, but not a major combat bonus.

Shield Ally (take half the damage dealt to allies around you) and Improved Shield Ally (once per round take all the damage for an adjacent ally) would both be pretty awesome as shield enhancements.
That'd probably be +3, it's quite significant.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-11-08, 09:44 AM
I guess that could be a +1 shield enhancement. It's a fun ability, but not a major combat bonus.

That'd probably be +3, it's quite significant.

Awesome. I just realized vigilant defender actually increases the DC by your class level, but 5 seems like a good amount for an outside magic item