PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Spells for Bard?

Elboxo
2011-11-07, 07:01 PM
Hi guys, for this debuff bard I'm making, I need some help with spell choice, It's ECL 7 Human Bard 5/DirgeSinger 2, the DM has made the DirgeSinger 4/5 casting with no casting gained on the 3rd level.

My feats are: Requiem, Martial Study ( Devoted Spirit for intimidate ), Doomspeak, Imperious command ( + Never Outnumbered ), Captivating Melody and Flaw: Melodic Casting

So far my spells are:
1) Improvisation, Inspirational Boost, Grease and Hideous Laughter
2) Miser's Envy, Glitterdust, Wave of grief and Alter Self
3) Confusion and Haste

So far I'm thinking of dropping Wave of grief ( Though with song of sorrow + melodic casting combined with Wave of Grief is pretty nice, -5 attacks, skills, willsaves ) and Confusion. For fluff/flavour reasons I'm keeping Hideous Laughter and Miser's Envy, but I am definitely considering dropping Confusion, as I get Confusion on 1 target as a use of bardic music at next level.

Any suggestions on spells?

I will not be changing PrC, so please don't tell me to, the rest of the party is a Grappler/Pouncer ( Totemist ), Wildshaper ( Wildshape-Ranger/Master of Many forms ) a Chain Tripper/Combat Brute ( Barbarian/fighter/warblade ) and Speedy McGee ( Incarnate with a dip in cleric ) All level 7 or 8.

Edit: Any good ideas for wands for buffs? My teammates already have wands of Enlarge Person and Lesser Vigor, atm I have benign Transposition, CLW, and the two I'm thinking of swapping: Shield, Ray of Clumsiness.

Thanks

Malachei
2011-11-08, 07:29 PM
Detect Thoughts. Mirror Move (here). (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20000901a)

darkdragoon
2011-11-08, 10:42 PM
Dirge of Discord (3rd level, in Complete Adventurer) would be pretty thematic to have.

Elboxo
2011-11-08, 11:24 PM
I considered Dirge of Discord but in the end decided for Illusory script, because it lasts days/level and if you write a note to yourself or someone you'll never meet and the suggestion effect is "Close your eyes, forget me" you can use it like the Men in Black memory wiper xD

I did look at detect thoughts, not exactly sure how well it would be in play, and mirror move.. DAMN, not sure I'd be allowed that, but it is very nice looking

Darrin
2011-11-09, 08:10 AM
Consider:

Instant of Power (Forge of War, Bard 1). Immediate action to add +4 enhancement bonus to an ally's attack, save, or damage roll. Never leave home without it. Buy a wand and put this in a wand chamber.

Instant Diversion (Races of the Dragon, Bard 1). Swift action, create mirror images of yourself (1 image + 1 per 4 CLs). Another good one to put in a wand chamber.

Bonefiddle (Spell Compendium, Bard 2). Necromancy-themed, Fort save vs. 3d6 sonic damage.

Cloud of Bewilderment (Spell Compendium, Bard 2). Stinking cloud as a 2nd level spell. (Maybe refluff name to "Stench of the Grave" or "Cloud of Despoilment".)

Deceptive Facade (Complete Mage, Bard 2). One of the few ways in 3.x to cast a glamer over an object.

Ice Darts (Frostburn, Bard 2). 1-5 darts, ranged touch attach, 2d4 damage (half of which is cold). Great way to get rid of mirror images or hit multiple targets in a round.

Love's Lament (Spell Compendium, Bard 3). 60' cone, Will save vs. 1d6 Wis damage and 1d4 rounds of nausea.

Ray of Dizziness (Spell Compendium, Bard 3). Essentially a "ray of staggered", no save, 1 round/CL.

Sonic Shield (PHBII, Bard 3). +4 deflection bonus to AC, and anyone that attacks you takes 1d8 sonic damage + Fort save vs. knocked back 5'.