PDA

View Full Version : The Legion Devil's Legion

Kymme
2011-11-07, 07:08 PM
Hello Playground,
I want to make an exiting and challenging boss fight for my players, so I decided to use Legion Devils (from Fiendish Codex II, page 122) with a legion devil retooled marshal and a warlock to provide specialized roles. I would enjoy some help or tips on how to make this encounter better.
Thanks in Advance!:smallbiggrin:

Your Friendly Thri-Kreen Viking, Kymme123

AslanCross
2011-11-07, 08:06 PM
That sounds pretty interesting. I've tried legion devils myself, and it can be a bit tricky to run them due to their combat bonuses.

My stock suggestion for interesting boss fights is to run the encounter in environments that are not hazardous to the monsters, but hazardous to the PCs. As baatezu are immune to fire, you could have the encounter in a room full of oil that the warlock could set on fire before the battle begins, or inside a burning building.

JaronK
2011-11-07, 08:14 PM
To make them really scary, throw in some Inspire Courage. Note that they shouldn't have Bards (as Bards can't be Lawful) but other classes can provide similar benefits. Giving them Crusader levels would make them REALLY scary.

JaronK

Yora
2011-11-07, 08:20 PM
My stock suggestion for interesting boss fights is to run the encounter in environments that are not hazardous to the monsters, but hazardous to the PCs. As baatezu are immune to fire, you could have the encounter in a room full of oil that the warlock could set on fire before the battle begins, or inside a burning building.

Reminds me of the shadowdancers with leap attack in the dark hall full of pillars.

AslanCross
2011-11-07, 08:27 PM
Reminds me of the shadowdancers with leap attack in the dark hall full of pillars.

:smalleek:Wow.
There's also the chain devil in a deep freeze meat warehouse with chains hanging from the ceiling.

arguskos
2011-11-07, 09:00 PM
The obligatory "salamanders in a volcano dragging people to a fiery doom" suggestion comes to mind as well.

Ice paraelementals in a blizzard. Storm and/or air elementals in a tornado.

The tarrasque in the Hall of Cones, Lines, and Rays. :smalltongue:

Kymme
2011-11-07, 10:35 PM
Thanks, guys, but this whole thread seems to be turning into a compilation of very difficult encounter areas. Its getting scary.:smalleek::smalleek:

Kymme
2011-11-07, 10:37 PM
To make them really scary, throw in some Inspire Courage. Note that they shouldn't have Bards (as Bards can't be Lawful) but other classes can provide similar benefits. Giving them Crusader levels would make them REALLY scary.

JaronK

By the way, that's what the marshal is for.:smallbiggrin:

marcielle
2011-11-08, 06:56 AM
This is turning into a thread for variations of 'THAT DAMN CRAB' lol