PDA

View Full Version : [PF] New Item- Quiver of Elemental Assistance (PEACH)

jcr-jsr
2011-11-07, 08:57 PM
I created this item and just gave it to my groups ranger (LV6) and he said it was to weak...tell me what you think

Quiver of Elemental Assistance
This quiver looks like a small leather bound drum, about the size of a standard bongo drum. The outside of the quiver is decorated with various symbols of the four greater elements. Once you pull the top off of the quiver and peer inside you see four elemental orbs swimming in a perfect swirling motion.

As a move action the wielder may call upon this quiver to provide assistance in the form of a projectile. The type of projectile is determined by the wielder; however the property is determined by a d4 roll.

12/day the owner of the quiver may reach inside and pull out a ranged projectile. Items pulled can be a sling stone, javelin, throwing dagger, throwing axe, crossbow bolt, or arrow. The projectile only lasts for 2 rounds outside of the quiver before it dissipates. (This still counts as a daily charge)

The projectile has one of 4 characteristics
+2 Fire Projectile: adds 3d8 fire damage, 10 ft splash for 2d6 (+2 adds to attack and damage)
+2 Frost Projectile: adds 3d6 frost damage, chance to pin the enemy (+2 adds to attack and damage) (+5 CMB versus target CMD to pin)
+2 Earth Projectile: adds 2d10 earth damage, stuns all targets in 15ft radius ( Fort save DC19) (+2 adds to attack and damage)
+2 Wind Projectile: adds 5d4 sonic damage, 20 ft splash for 1d4, Chance to knock target back (Reflex DC 19 or target gets knocked back 10ft) (+2 adds to attack and damage)

Bunder Black
2011-11-07, 09:20 PM
This is my first time PEACHing, so I hope it helps.

I like your item idea, considering this quiver can produce any type of projectile. Right there, it's really helpful, considering you can also produce thrown weapons and not only ammunition.

1d4 to determine the property is a nice thing, it ensures you won't always conveniently take out, say, frost arrows against an elemental of fire.

And now, onto each element:

-Fire: Very strong, with a nice splash. But, considering the other types of damage, it might be too strong. I'd say to drop the 3d8 to 3d6, seeing as the damage splash is already good.

-Frost: Very nice, nothing to say.

-Earth: I never heard of Earth-type damage, even if, fluff-wise, it's good. Maybe you should change it from Earth to Force or Untyped. The save looks nice to me.

-Wind: I'm still kinda iffy on that doing Sonic damage. If that's how you want to do it, though, I still like it. Maybe add another d4 to the splash.

That's pretty much what I see. Hope that helps, and tell your player your special item is nowhere weak ;)

Dragonus45
2011-11-07, 09:33 PM
I think the problem is that its a move action to take anything out. Perhaps make it so that you can pull from it for all your attacks on a full round action.

Also you could refluff the name of the earth arrow to the wind one and make the damage type sonic instead of earth.
And replace the wind arrow with a nature arrow that has an entangle effect.
Ill echo the idea that you should lower the damage for the fire arrows.
You could even add more range of types, such as acid damage and lightning damage.

jcr-jsr
2011-11-07, 09:38 PM
I think the problem is that its a move action to take anything out. Perhaps make it so that you can pull from it for all your attacks on a full round action.

Also you could refluff the name of the earth arrow to the wind one and make the damage type sonic instead of earth.

The reason I set it to move action to pull a projectile is that I dont want him firing off 4 projectiles in a single round...that would be to powerful.

As for the earth damage, I used earth more for a bludgeoning. They can go through undead DR/piercing while the others can't

Dragonus45
2011-11-07, 09:42 PM
The reason I set it to move action to pull a projectile is that I dont want him firing off 4 projectiles in a single round...that would be to powerful.

As for the earth damage, I used earth more for a bludgeoning. They can go through undead DR/piercing while the others can't

At level 6 he will only be making two attacks, and even if he could fire off four shots it would be a whole third of what he could do that day. If he cant manage his pacing hell be out before he realized it.

jcr-jsr
2011-11-07, 09:42 PM
And now, onto each element:

-Fire: Very strong, with a nice splash. But, considering the other types of damage, it might be too strong. I'd say to drop the 3d8 to 3d6, seeing as the damage splash is already good.

-Earth: I never heard of Earth-type damage, even if, fluff-wise, it's good. Maybe you should change it from Earth to Force or Untyped. The save looks nice to me.

-Wind: I'm still kinda iffy on that doing Sonic damage. If that's how you want to do it, though, I still like it. Maybe add another d4 to the splash.

The fire arrow is strong because it lacks an added feature. But 3d8 may be a little strong. I will look into maybe bring it down a bit.

The earth is more for fluff, and I was having an issue getting a bludgeoning damage type. It kinda fit that for me.

The wind doing Sonic, think of a jet breaking the sound berrier. I will look into the splash...but now that you mention it Force would be a better damage type...I had it set at 2d4 but decided because of the knock back it was a little much.

And thank you for helping me out.

jcr-jsr
2011-11-07, 10:04 PM
I
And replace the wind arrow with a nature arrow that has an entangle effect.
Ill echo the idea that you should lower the damage for the fire arrows.
You could even add more range of types, such as acid damage and lightning damage.

What damage type would give bludgeoning damage? that is what I am looking at for the earth arrow.

The nature, lightning, and acid types are good. I am working on another item that will provide some of those. Don't want to give one player that many options in damage.

With this party I plan on spreading around the damage types, so everyone gets a little extra :smallwink:

Thanks for the feed back :smallbiggrin:

Dragonus45
2011-11-07, 10:10 PM
Sonic is closest you get to doing Bludgeoning type damage with magic generally. Think about it on terms of what it does to Crystalline creatures. One idea could be to have the earth arrow deal force damage. Not sure what else could be said for it. Acid damage is whats normally associated with earth, and lightning is what you usually see with air. I like your going outside the normal stuff, i just cant think of what to use for bludgeoning elemental stuff.