PDA

View Full Version : Confusion on Draconic Heritage

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-07, 10:03 PM
I was randomly building a Sorcerer and came across Draconic Heritage in Races of the Dragon. It seems pretty nifty, mainly for feats that I can take afterwards plus a extra class skill to work with. But what I'm confused about is the "Spells known" column on the table on page 103. The text of the feat doesn't even mention this column so I have no idea how to handle it. Are they spells I can choose as a spell known at the appropriate level? Or they automatically added to my spells known when I can cast spells of the appropriate level?

Thanks in advance!

Codemus
2011-11-07, 10:57 PM
I was randomly building a Sorcerer and came across Draconic Heritage in Races of the Dragon. It seems pretty nifty, mainly for feats that I can take afterwards plus a extra class skill to work with. But what I'm confused about is the "Spells known" column on the table on page 103. The text of the feat doesn't even mention this column so I have no idea how to handle it. Are they spells I can choose as a spell known at the appropriate level? Or they automatically added to my spells known when I can cast spells of the appropriate level?

Thanks in advance!

Your confusion is understandable. It's a slight oversight. Read at the top, where it says Draconic Heritage, Dragonwrought, and Draconic Legacy Options. Then look up Draconic Legacy. :smallwink:

Darrin
2011-11-07, 11:00 PM
Are they spells I can choose as a spell known at the appropriate level? Or they automatically added to my spells known when I can cast spells of the appropriate level?

Those are added via the Draconic Legacy feat, which you need four other draconic feats as a prereq.

So, after blowing five of your seven feat slots (and you don't get any bonus feats every five levels like wizards, so you're giving up metamagic and item creation feats) on Draconic crap that adds a little "I've got dragon blood!" fluff but doesn't do anything to make you a better sorcerer, you get three spells added to your spells known. If you're lucky, maybe one or two of those spells are actually *useful*.

Essentially, the Draconic feats are a big "EFF YOU!" to Sorcerers. Compare five Draconic feats to one of the Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium: one feat to add nine spells known.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-07, 11:01 PM
Your confusion is understandable. It's a slight oversight. Read at the top, where it says Draconic Heritage, Dragonwrought, and Draconic Legacy Options. Then look up Draconic Legacy. :smallwink:

:smallconfused: *Looks at Draconic Legacy* :smallannoyed: :smallsigh: Ah, thats disapointing. By the time I could even take that feat the spells I could gain are pretty much worthless. :smallannoyed: lamesauce.

Those are added via the Draconic Legacy feat, which you need four other draconic feats as a prereq.

So, after blowing five of your seven feat slots (and you don't get any bonus feats every five levels like wizards, so you're giving up metamagic and item creation feats) on Draconic crap that adds a little "I've got dragon blood!" fluff but doesn't do anything to make you a better sorcerer, you get three spells added to your spells known. If you're lucky, maybe one or two of those spells are actually *useful*.

Essentially, the Draconic feats are a big "EFF YOU!" to Sorcerers. Compare five Draconic feats to one of the Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium: one feat to add nine spells known.

Yes I see that now. Unfortunatly I don't have Dragon Compendium so I'm out of luck there.

Codemus
2011-11-07, 11:07 PM
Yes I see that now. Unfortunatly I don't have Dragon Compendium so I'm out of luck there.

Used book stores who will order for you are a godsend. I wouldn't have half of my books if the store I frequient didn't order. Books-A-Million and other big names kinda work, but the wait period is about twice as long. Plus, you can't get old books from them. :smallmad:

EDIT: And by order, I mean from the various online stores.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-07, 11:21 PM
Used book stores who will order for you are a godsend. I wouldn't have half of my books if the store I frequient didn't order. Books-A-Million and other big names kinda work, but the wait period is about twice as long. Plus, you can't get old books from them. :smallmad:

EDIT: And by order, I mean from the various online stores.

Unfortunatly, I have this annoying little thing called "college." It kinda sucks up all my monies. :smallsigh:

Shade Kerrin
2011-11-08, 12:07 AM

The main use I've been able to see for the Draconic feats is for a particular type of Magic Warrior(Don't use the 'G' word), the 'unarmed' type.
The core is to take Draconic Claws. Now you've got a claw attack. Meh so far.
You get a free(well, swift) attack with it whenever you cast a standard action spell. Meaning you can cast buffing spells mid-combat without reducing your ability to fight in that round, which really helps with fixing the Action economy woes of this type of character. Most other methods involve switching the spell to swift instead of the attack, often with a limit or cost involved, whereas this one can be done indefinitely for as long as you need to cast spells.
Beyond that, it's worth looking at the ones that deliver an effect whenever you cast a spell twice, as there is no limitation on how many you may make use of from a single casting.

Oh yes, and if you are playing any of the dragon-blooded races(Dragon Magic comes with a dragon-blooded version of the core and core monstrous races), you can exchange your familiar to get Heritage via a substitution level(found in Races of the Dragon)
If you want Legacy(Though I agree that it is not a particularly good feat), you can get it by 6 if you play a Silverbrow Human Sorc, even without flaws.

Just my arguments on the matter.

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-08, 08:36 AM
Well, Draconic Feats can be nice if you're buying them from Dragonheart Mage. 4 Levels gives you three Draconic Feats and 3/4 Casting, and if you took the Dragonblood Sorcerer ACF to get Draconic Heritage for free, then suddenly Draconic Legacy isn't quite as bile inducing.

The Spells you get from Force Dragon Heritage are kinda nice, I guess...

Is this a good option? No, not even a little bit, but if you want to play a Dragon-themed character it is...acceptable