PDA

View Full Version : Low-level celestials?

Thaxan
2011-11-07, 10:05 PM
I'm just starting a D20 modern campaign, and a major plotline will be a war between good outsiders and evil outsiders that the PCs will be involved in. Unfortunately, while there is no shortage of low-level fiends to throw at them, I've found only one celestial in the books I have, and it's CR is 15...

I really want the PCs to be caught between the two sides, and I want to keep it even throughout. Does anyone know any good creatures that won't slaughter a level 4 party in 2 combat rounds? Or at least where I can find them?

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-07, 10:20 PM
http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/results.php?id=870249105&skip=0

Diefje
2011-11-07, 10:27 PM
The template for Celestial is only +2LA. Celestial Dire Rat. Celestial Kobold. Celestial Housecat.

Somehow being Half-Celestial is a bigger deal at +5LA

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-07, 10:36 PM
The template for Celestial is only +2LA. Celestial Dire Rat. Celestial Kobold. Celestial Housecat.

Celestial is for creatures that aren't explicitly outsiders but are residents of or are imbued with the power of a good-aligned plane.

Half-Celestial is LA +4, not +5 and it means your dad was a Celestial and knocked up your mom or vice versa. Quite a bit difference.

Greymane
2011-11-07, 10:38 PM

Mutts tend to have the best qualities of both parents, actually.

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-07, 10:53 PM
The difference between the two templates is this:

One, you are an animal (or whatever), that due to the fact that you live in a celestial realm, gets more 'good'-y.

Two, you are someone whose father or mother was an angel.

very very different...

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-08, 06:57 PM
Lantern Archon, CR 2
Hound Archon, CR 4
Bralani Eladrin, CR 6

Those are all core monsters.

Thaxan
2011-11-09, 10:16 AM
This is all really good stuff. Thanks guys!
:smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2011-11-09, 10:37 AM

They flat out tell you that Half-Celestial is more powerful (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/celestialCreature.htm), and even explain why. It shouldn't be confusing.

Though I personally think that "Celestials" should be natives of Celestia.

Yorae
2011-11-09, 12:22 PM
The first thing that came to my mind was Aasimar. They aren't 'real' celestials, just planetouched, but it might work for you.

hex0
2011-11-09, 01:17 PM
half-celestial: son of a celestial
celestial template: grandson of a celestial
aasimar: great-grandson of a celestial
lesser aasimar: great-great-grandson of a celestial (or just a character that has meta awareness of level adjustment)

About right?

Runestar
2011-11-09, 06:13 PM
MM2 has the cervidal and lupinal, think they are cr5?

Fiend folio has a low cr (6?) deva as well.

JaronK
2011-11-09, 09:46 PM
half-celestial: son of a celestial
celestial template: hangs out with celestials
greater celestial bloodline: great grandson of a celestial
aasimar: great-great-great-great-grandson of a celestial
lesser aasimar: aasimar's younger brother biff that we don't really talk about

Fixed that for you.

JaronK

Urpriest
2011-11-09, 09:54 PM
BoED has loads of weaker celestials.

Thaxan
2011-11-11, 12:39 PM
The first thing that came to my mind was Aasimar. They aren't 'real' celestials, just planetouched, but it might work for you.

I'd thought of them a bit, but I already had a plan for Aasimar and Tieflings as a sort of loophole in the standard "no interference with the mortal planes" pact between Fiends and Celestials. Of course, both sides cheat anyway, that's why I need the Celestials in the first place..

MM2 has the cervidal and lupinal, think they are cr5?

Fiend folio has a low cr (6?) deva as well.

BoED has loads of weaker celestials.

Lantern Archon, CR 2
Hound Archon, CR 4
Bralani Eladrin, CR 6

Those are all core monsters.

Ooo, these all look promising. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-11, 01:18 PM
Also see my link: it has options from Monster Manual IV, Book of Exalted Deeds, SRD, and Monster Manual II.

Thaxan
2011-11-11, 02:03 PM
Also see my link: it has options from Monster Manual IV, Book of Exalted Deeds, SRD, and Monster Manual II.

Oh, of course. There are a lot of promising monsters in that link, too. I'm thinking Archons especially will be playing into this campaign. Thanks.

A Celestial Tree sloth, perhaps?

hamishspence
2011-11-11, 03:39 PM
For those who want a not plane-specific celestial- the Protectar in Miniatures Handbook is winged, humanoid, Medium, and CR 2, and can have any good alignment.

The Ramadeen in the same book is CR 4, Large, LG, from Celestia, and looks like a ram-headed man.