PDA

View Full Version : Wood Nymph [3.X]

Domriso
2011-11-08, 01:13 AM
Alright Playgrounders, 'nother question for you lot. A friend of mine has been searching for D&D 3.5 stats for a Wood Nymph. Now, I figured out pretty quickly that it wasn't an official monster, but we both feel like we've seen these stats somewhere, we just can't remember where. Anyone remember a third party book that had Wood Nymph stats in them somewhere?

Daftendirekt
2011-11-08, 03:26 AM
There are dryads... and there are nymphs... Maybe you mushed them together in your heads? :smallconfused:

Coidzor
2011-11-08, 08:39 AM
When you say Wood Nymph, is there anything other than just that specific name that you mean/remember for us to go on?

Zeta Kai
2011-11-08, 08:52 AM
A lot of people look at dryads & think "that's just an Ent with the serial numbers filed off". But they are Medium-sized fey with average STR/CON & high DEX/CHA, which just screams "Wood Nymph" to me. They aren't Entish in the slightest, but they fit the Nymph bill quite well. And I don't see the need to make a new monster just to give stats to a name, when relabelling an existing monster should serve your needs. Just keep an open mind.

Zagaroth
2011-11-08, 08:56 AM
Hmmm, so far my google-fu has turned up at 4e "Wood Nymph" in Monster Manuel 3, A fan produced DnD series called Legends of Atoll, some art links.. yeah, not having much to help you with here, sorry. We need more details I think.

Yora
2011-11-08, 09:03 AM
A lot of people look at dryads & think "that's just an Ent with the serial numbers filed off". But they are Medium-sized fey with average STR/CON & high DEX/CHA, which just screams "Wood Nymph" to me. They aren't Entish in the slightest, but they fit the Nymph bill quite well. And I don't see the need to make a new monster just to give stats to a name, when relabelling an existing monster should serve your needs. Just keep an open mind.

In greek mythology, dryads are just one type of nymph. Oreads, naiads, and neirids are other types of nymphs.
The D&D creature named nymph is actually a naiad.

Urpriest
2011-11-08, 09:07 AM
In greek mythology, dryads are just one type of nymph. Oreads, naiads, and neirids are other types of nymphs.
The D&D creature named nymph is actually a naiad.

Except that naiads also exist in the MMII (IIRC).

"Wood Nymph" seems like it would mean a nymph that mainly lives in temperate forests. That's what a nymph is already.

Yora
2011-11-08, 09:11 AM
There's a siren in MM2 and a nereid in Stormwreck, but I don't think there is another river-nymph than the nymph.

Urpriest
2011-11-08, 09:13 AM
There's a siren in MM2 and a nereid in Stormwreck, but I don't think there is another river-nymph than the nymph.

Hmm, looks like you're right. It appears I got naiads confused with nereids.

Cicciograna
2011-11-08, 09:18 AM
Add the "Wood" template to a Nymph, overriding its creature type limitation.

Strormer
2011-11-08, 11:23 AM
Really, the only thing that particularly ties the Nymph to water as opposed to wood is the bonus to swim checks. You could just remove that and add something more suited to your concept of a wood nymph and presto changeo, you've got a refluffed Nymph. ^_^

Domriso
2011-11-08, 03:12 PM
This is all true. Mostly I was looking because my friend thought she remembered seeing one somewhere and wanted to see what stats they gave it. So, when I say Wood Nymph, I'm literally wondering if anyone has seen a monster with that name in a third party books, not necessarily if anyone has seen a creature resembling the mythological creature known as a Wood Nymph (though those were all quite nice reasons to just switch a few things around).

Like I said, I did a casual search but couldn't find anything. Maybe we're just misremembering something, but I coulda swore I saw an entry for one somewhere.