PDA

View Full Version : Some help with the spiked chain feat trees/PrC dips??

Lictor of Thrax
2011-11-08, 06:52 AM
I can't get the search function to work so I can't find relevant threads but I'm looking for some guidance on a spiked chain feat tree and/or some PrC help to get some extra feats for an unusual character concept.

Right now I'm playing a homebrew design that pretty much combines and improves the swashbuckler and rogue classes into a strong tier three class. He's a gray elf with high INT and DEX, horrible STR. Feats and relevant abilities thus far are:

Rogue base sneak attack
Fighter BAB
Weapon Finesse
Abjurant Jaunt
Canny Combatant (INT bonus to opposed combat maneuvers)
Two Weapon Fighting
Craven

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188150

Originally I was just playing a two-weapon fighter but the DM dropped a really nice spiked chain and I decided to use the feat I had that I didn't have any particularly useful available feats for on EWP: Spiked Chain.

When I started reading up on just how to really use the spiked chain I started to get a bit worried that a lot of the cooler features, like the ability to trip and such, would be wasted on my low strength Char until I remembered that my class allows me to use my INT modifier (my character's primary stat) for all opposed combat maneuvers - this actually becomes the most important stat for this character's viability and was a completely accidental little realization.

My DM is allowing me to use the homebrew suggestion of allowing the spiked chain to be switched into a double weapon that is 1d6/1d6 with 5 feat threat for a move action. So right now, at least at a lower level Char(4th level total with 3 in Daring Outlaw homebrew and 1 Wizard), he has a lot of versatility as not only an effective two-weapon sneak attacker but I can use the spiked chain as a range/control weapon.

I'd really like to find the most effective way to keep this as viable as deep into my char's life as possible. Pure optimization isn't the most important thing here - I just really like the fluff/versatility aspect of a stealthy, sneak attacking, zone-controller that uses his skills (and maybe even Charge, as this class gets acrobatic charge as well) and spells to move all over the field and cause chaos with opportunity attacks while also being an effective two-weapon sneak attacker when the situation allows/calls for it.

The difficult is that he's feat starved. I'm wondering if there's suggestions on the best feats to focus on for this concept, as there's a ton of feats that the spiked chain find useful - combat reflexes seems like a no brainer - but there's just so many that I'm a bit overwhelmed. Feats that blend stealth, sneak attack and a tons of skills with spiked chain are key.

Also, if there's any class or prestrige class dips that people would suggest (especially PrC because our DM enforces EXP penalties) that are particularly useful for spiked chain users (that don't also suck) would be great. Even just PrC's/Classes that could backdoor some extra feats needed to build the spiked chain feat trees, like one that would help me get towards greater whirlwind or something.

**we have pretty much anything available and our DM is very flexible with our group if we can explain why we should have it, especially because we're a very small party and need to cover a lot of ground with only a few characters. About the only thing that's off-limits would be ToB, simply because neither of us want to start jumping into all that stances stuff.

Sorry, I tend to ramble. Thanks in advance if anyone has any suggestions.

Darrin
2011-11-08, 08:31 AM
My DM is allowing me to use the homebrew suggestion of allowing the spiked chain to be switched into a double weapon that is 1d6/1d6 with 5 feat threat for a move action.

There is a "chain lash" in Savage Species that works almost exactly like that. The "chain" in Oriental Adventures has the same stats and works the same way.

The class gets no bonus feats at any levels, which is ultimately where the hardest part comes in. He's feat starved. I'm wondering if there's suggestions on the best feats to focus on, as there's a ton of feats that the spiked chain find useful - combat reflexes seems like a no brainer - but there's just so many that I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Focus on getting Combat Reflexes and Improved Trip first. You can get the latter without blowing a feat on Combat Expertise by taking two levels of Wolf Totem Barbarian. This can also be combined with Spirit Lion Totem for Pounce and Whirling Frenzy (extra attack!). However, I'm guessing "barbarian" doesn't really fit your character concept. Fighter 2 or PsyWar 2 to pick up two bonus feats might be more palatable. PsyWar is probably better, since you can pick up expansion with that, and getting large increases your reach + spiked chain = threaten up to 20'.

Monk 2 can also be used to pick up Combat Expertise + Improved Trip via the Passive Way (check out the variant monk fighting styles in Unearthed Arcana). Normally I wouldn't recommend this because you lose another point of BAB and there's not much else the monk offers (can't flurry with a spiked chain), but there's two feats, Carmendine Monk (Champions of Valor) and Kung Fu Genius (Dragon Compendium), that allow you to use Int for your monk-based abilities, including your AC Bonus. There's also the Invisible Fist ACF in Exemplars of Evil, which trades Evasion for the ability to turn invisible once every 4 rounds (sneak attack!). But those are somewhat obscure sources and you probably don't have room for it anyway.

Combat Reflexes is important because it's a prereq for Double Hit (Miniatures Handbook): you can use your spiked chain as a double weapon, and Double Hit allows you to attack with a weapon in each hand on an AoO. That's more of a knick-knack feat, though... what you really need it for is Robilar's Gambit once you have BAB +12, which can significantly increase your number of attacks.

Other than Robilar's Gambit, the two best feats for a chain-tripper are Stand Still (XPH/SRD) and Knock-Down (SRD/Divine section). Stand Still is the cornerstone of a "lockdown" build: when an opponent moves out of a square you threaten, you make an AoO, and they have to make a Ref save with 10 + your damage as the DC. If they fail, they have to stop moving. On your turn, tear them apart with reach, step back a bit, rinse & repeat.

Knock-Down is a bit more controversial... do 10+ damage, and you get a free trip attempt on your opponent (if your PC has trouble reliably doing 10+ damage on a hit, don't bother with this feat). When it was first printed in Sword & Fist, the FAQ and errata said you could not combine this with the free attack from Improved Trip for "Attack + Trip + Attack". When Deities & Demigods was printed, they included Knock-Down but not the errata, and we can't tell if WotC did this deliberately because they didn't like the errata, or just weren't paying attention. When the divine section was added to the 3.5 SRD, Knock-Down was included without the errata. Check with your DM if he wants to include the Sword & Fist errata.

Also, if there's any class or prestrige class dips that people would suggest (especially PrC because our DM enforces EXP penalties) that are particularly useful for spiked chain users or that would suit the character concept I'm trying to maintain.

Exotic Weapon Master is probably the only PrC worth looking at, and you're only one feat away from qualifying (Weapon Focus: Spiked Chain). It's only 3 levels long, and you get an "Exotic Weapon Stunt" every level. You want to grab Flurry of Strikes ASAP, which gives you an extra attack with a -2 penalty. The other stunts you can probably skip... Twin Exotic Weapon Fighting might be useful, but I'm not sure how often you TWF with the chain. Trip Attack gives you an additional +2 on trip checks. Probably only worth grabbing 1 level of Exotic Weapon Master for flurry.

Bloodgruve
2011-11-08, 09:07 AM
Good explanation from Darrin^

When you're reach tripping don't forget Enlarge Person ;)

GL
Blood~

Lictor of Thrax
2011-11-08, 09:53 AM
Some very cool suggestions there.

I didn't even know Double Hit existed and I somehow always glossed over Robilar's Gambit.

You're right about the barbarian thing not really fitting my character concept, at least at the moment (our adventure is pretty sweeping and our DM let's us build custom concepts using source material if it fits the roleplay side of things) but I'll keep it in mind. Psychic Warrior I can probably pull off with the DM but probably not any time soon.

The Passive Way and all the other monk suggests rock quite a bit except that I'm playing an almost anti-monk type character. He's a chaotic neutral gray elf. If there were a reasonable way around the monk/lawful issue, I'd be all over those suggestions. Especially since I want the benefits of combat expertise but don't want to pay a feat for it and invisibility? Of course!

The knock-down thing I'll definitely talk to my DM about. I was already looking at that feat before I even got the spiked chain, simply because as a sneak attacker with Craven, I'm doing pretty ridiculous damage all the time but at first I was against it because I didn't care about improved trip.

You're explanation of Stand Still makes it a lot more appealing. When I first read it I didn't fully understand how that would be useful.

Thanks a ton for the thoughts to chew on, though. I definitely feel like I have a better idea of what I want to do now.

EDIT: Just found the Chaos Monk . . . perhaps all that monk trickery could work out after all.

Lictor of Thrax
2011-11-08, 11:09 AM
So yeah, if my DM allows it all I think I would end up doing something like this:

Right now I'm Outlaw 3, wizard 1:

2 levels chaos monk to get expertise, improved trip and invisible fist, I'd also be reaching 6th level at that point and would then take combat reflexes.

Next I would likely take improved two-weapon fighting (just realized I can't qualify for Stand Still or Knockdown because of a 10 STR) and then after that take Double Hit.

With all that, he'd have the ability to sneak attack, trip, teleport, tumble and go invisible, all the while punishing people with opportunity attacks all over the field.

That seems like boatloads of fun.